Silent star: Detroit Lions rookie Ziggy Ansah lets his play — and others — do the talking

Comments

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Dec. 12, 2013 9:54 p.m.

Kudos to Call for writing an excellent article, even after getting passed over for the interview.

• FaifeauSam Lehi, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 6:19 a.m.

As one reporter said early in Ziggy's career, "Ziggy is really an 'Ansah' to Detroit's prayers. Hope he keeps his standards strong and doesn't let the NFL break him in any way.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 13, 2013 11:02 a.m.

VanNoy will be making headlines in the NFL next year as well, best of luck to Ansah and VanNoy!

• porterblogwell provo, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 11:33 a.m.

I thought the cheap shot about the dangerous streets of Detroit was uncalled for

• FaifeauSam Lehi, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 12:12 p.m.

@ Porterblogwell: Picky, picky, picky!!! Don't you're jumping to a conclusion? I didn't see the word "dangerous" in the story.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 1:24 p.m.

There is a big difference between Provo and Detroit. While Ansah seems to be holding his own quite well, I would invite porterblogwell to" walk the Motor City streets at night alone" if he doesn't believe it would be dangerous.

• yarrlydarb Ogden, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 11:16 a.m.

"Gunther Cunningham offered effusive praise for his rookie defensive end. 'He reminds me of some of the great players I’ve seen. With Ziggy, you really don’t notice it until you look at the tapes how many plays he’s made that are almost the side of impossible … People said he didn’t have football instincts. Well, I guess if you grow up in Africa you get some instincts. I don’t know what he has, but he finds the ball really quickly.'"

Sports writers, coaches and fans all like to talk about athletes and their "instincts."

Birds that fly south for the winter and return in the spring have instincts.

Humans don't have instincts; they have reflexes and intelligence enabling them to repeat behaviors that produces desired results over and over again.

An instinct is an inborn pattern of behavior that is characteristic of a species and is often a response to specific environmental stimuli, not a football game.