High school football: 5A All-State teams

Comments

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 10:26 a.m.

8 first team selections from Bingham. That is awesome! Well deserved boys! As for the QB selection, 20 td's and 19 interceptions? I get the love affair with the kid, but he did not have anywhere near the year he did last year. I still would have went with the kid from Bingham at QB. Way to go Miners!

• All Love Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 10:47 a.m.

well deserved list...But how was Hunt the DE for Brighton left off this list????

• tharef Sandy, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 11:00 a.m.

Come on gunner look at his body of work the last three years. He has broken ALMOST every record there is recorded for a QB. That kid from bingham what's his name? Ya not even close to what Auz has done, not even close.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 11:33 a.m.

Hunter Dall Kicker from Brighton was robbed. Out scored the Syracuse Kicker by 26 points in the year. They missed him big time. Had one off game in the Championship. Many other did not play their best in that game, but still made All State.

• Pig Skin Fan Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 11:37 a.m.

OL: Nick Giles, Brighton, Sr.

He did get Second Team, but should have been a First Team guy also. I get it they lost the Championship, but he was right there with the other two OL from Brighton all year. Great job Giles.

• HS Sport Dude Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 12:31 p.m.

I agree with Gunner. You can't base this on anything but this year. It's the 2013 All State Team. One more TD Pass than INT and only a 50% completion average. Not very impressive and not on a State Championship Team. Like other QB's from Jordan and Utah High Schools the Jordan kid will not play a down of D1 football at the QB position.

• Barricade Herriman, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 12:45 p.m.

How is it that a player can be the 5A leader in both tackles and QB sacks and not be first team? The McMorris kid from West Jordan got robbed!

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 12:47 p.m.

Theref: Last time I checked, This is for THIS year. Not the past 3 years. 20 td's and 19 interceptions does not qualify as all state, in any state. He has had an incredible career. But this year was not a great one for him. The Gearig kid threw for 28 TD's and had 9 interceptions. Besides led his team to an undefeated season with a state championship. You compare this year bud, not the past 3.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 12:49 p.m.

Not to mention the fact the kid ran for another 13 TD's.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 1:08 p.m.

They need more categories, such as an ATH position. For example you're trying to tell me Baron Gajkowski, one of the 5 best football players in the state, led his team to back-to-back semi final appearances didn't even make the All-State list until honorable mention? Yet Zac Dawe, with 44 tackles and 7 sacks makes 1st team All State when the kid from Brighton was far superior. Makes no sense to me.

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 2:32 p.m.

Re: Pig Skin Fan

The kid from Brighton is a good kicker, however he did not kick many field goals. Total points is a reflection of field goals and Point after touchdowns. Most high school teams have kids who can kick PAT's... The kicker from Syracuse had many more field goals. The second team kicker from West was second in field goals. Hope this helps make sense.

The Brighton kid also played in 4 additional games. I'm guessing the Bingham kicker also scored more total points due to being in more games... more PAT's.

• Bored to the point of THIS! Ogden, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 2:40 p.m.

re: Barricade

The West Jordan kid was third in tackles, which is impressive, but 18th in sacks. Check the stat's before you make such claims.

re: adwight

Gajkowski is a great player. Saw him play several games. It's a tough year to be a QB though. I'm not sure which QB (first/2nd team) you could take off the list? The Davis QB is a great player who had great numbers as well and he was honorable mention too. A lot of great players at that spot this season.

Also keep in mind. Coaches from each school nominate players. The ballots are then voted upon by the various coaches. Sometime people (parents) think their kid should be on the list, when they don't even get nominated by their coach. Maybe off the field issues? Who knows.

• porkpies SANDY, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 3:37 p.m.

I was pretty pleased with the list, I thought my kid was a first teamer, but maybe this can be a chip on his shoulder to work harder and do more at the next level. I agree that Hunter Dall got robbed that kid was nails all year. It was still quite the ride this year, GO BENGALS PRIDE!!!!

• sinkme Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 3:38 p.m.

Quarterbacks do run the ball now days as well. The qb from Jordan looks to have more rushing yards and TD's than both first team running backs. Never seeing him play, one could assume that you would chalk at least half of those int's on bad routes or missed balls by his receivers? I am not sure how anyone can question how good the kid is unless you just don't like the attention he gets. Yes, 19 interceptions. BUT 50 TOUCHDOWNS. How is that not a first team all state kid "in any state"?

• Riverton123 Riverton , UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 5:16 p.m.

Given that this award is based on individual stats and not the team. The McMorris kid deserves to be first team all-state. He had equal if not better numbers in tackles and sacks than the first team linebackers, With the number of games played compared to most players who played 1-4 more games then he did.

• 7Heismans Highland, UT
    Dec. 11, 2013 6:16 p.m.

My submittable last night was deleted or never posted by the DN. Why? Because it was the truth? I certainly did not use vulgarity, I wasn't uncivil nor did I denigrate anyone. I merely asked the DN to consider revamping how they can be more fair in All State selections. As is, the system is flawed and allows coaches get together and vote for guys as favors to other coaches. "You vote for my guy , I'll vote for yours" and deserving players are left out or end up as honorable mentions only because of inside deals. The process needs more transparency and greater objective participation.

• 5A Football Man Layton , UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 8:01 a.m.

Pig Skin Fan- What is your deal with Syracuse High? All year you been on them and bashing them. I'm from Salt Lake area so I have nothing to do with Syracuse, but if I would say you have somthing out for them. Maybe you had a kid that couldn't play for them or you couldn't go there. But I watch high football in the state of Utah and only really care about 5A and they have done great in there first 7 years.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 9:34 a.m.

Sinkme: The Gearig kid from Bingham had 41 touchdowns with 10 fewer interceptions. Not to mention the fact that there were probably 5 games where he didn't see the field in the 4th qtr. I watched the Jordan kid play 4 times this year. It wasn't due to bad routes being ran trust me. Go watch the semi final game against Brighton. Passes were high, behind his receivers, etc. It was the same in the other 3 games I watched him. Look I'm not saying the kid isn't a great HS QB. I'm just saying that his stats weren't that impressive to me as were the Bingham QB's. Sure I'm a Bingham homer and alum. But the kid led his team to a 14-0 record and a state championship. I think that trumps an extra 9 touchdowns in my opinion.

• Orem7 Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 4:17 p.m.

Frankly, your discussion of which qb threw better is kind of funny. The Bingham kid, the Jordan kid, and the Lone Peak kid are below average passers. The two passers in the bunch are the PG kid and the Alta boy. The PG kid is the best pure passer.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 4:51 p.m.

Unfortunately Orem7, neither of those two are worthy of honorable mention!

• Orem7 Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 5:00 p.m.

Gunner....

The PG kid is and then some, I don't know about the Alta ki

• Man of Sports Draper, UT
    Dec. 12, 2013 5:19 p.m.

Gunner - you know as well as all of us that the voting is done by the coaches and it obvious that the coaches fear (or respect) the Jordan QB more than probably any other player on the list. That kid is a threat to score EVERY time he touches it. 50 TDS is IMPRESSIVE. The Jordan coach doesn't have to call any favors to get the Jordan QB on this list - FEAR alone from all the other 5A coaches got him on the 1st team. Not like the BHS coach to get the JR DB on the 1st team. Look at it like this - if you were the D Coordinator on the other team - who do you scheme more for? The Jordan QB or the Bingham QB...I think you can answer that yourself.

• adwight AMERICAN FORK, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 8:05 a.m.

Orem you're right. He was the best pure passer; to the opposing team.

• Orem7 Pleasant Grove, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 11:22 a.m.

10 ints in 340 attempts is a great ratio. Obviously you are not making objective comments but are trying to be mean. Nice. But I guess being from AF you are still bitter because he knocked you out of the playoffs. Basketball season came early in AF. Oh wait you are accustomed to an not going to the playoffs.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 12:23 p.m.

Man of Sports: Put it this way, when Brighton and Jordan were playing in the Semi final game, the Bingham coaches were hoping Jordan would win instead of Brighton. That's because they were more worried about Brighton then the Jordan team, or their QB.

• Man of Sports Draper, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 2:59 p.m.

Gunner - still haven't answered my question...
    Who do you scheme more for - the Jordan QB or the Bingham QB. Maybe the lack of answer is enough.

• Gunner South Jordan, UT
    Dec. 13, 2013 4:12 p.m.

Well that doesn't prove much except that the only weapon Jordan had was their QB. Bingham had their RB, their QB, their TE, their WR. So that doesn't prove much saying who you scheme for more between the two teams. Come up with an apples to apples comparison. Like I said, 9 fewer touchdowns and 10 less interceptions that resulted in an undefeated season and state championship means more to me.

• Man of Sports Draper, UT
    Dec. 16, 2013 9:52 a.m.

Gunner - exactly! You just proved my point. Jordan main weapon with their QB and everyone schemed to stop him and he STILL had 50 TDs for the season. Hands down the better player at that position. Thank you for answering my question.
    I know an undefeated season and state championship are great team goals but the AllState list is based on individual stats.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 16, 2013 12:00 p.m.

Great job Bingham!
    They were loaded and could have had a few others on the first team imo but they're wearing the rings so I won't be nit picking the lists. But I have to agree with other comments Kafentzis wasn't all that this year, yeah he got all the accolades last year and well deserved but this is 2013 and as was mentioned 20/19 is not good by any stretch at any level and his team went 7-6 and lost in the semi's, he threw 4 INT's against Bingham alone!! last I saw Bingham and their QB was hoisting the trophy at 14-0. but oh well Kyle Gearig will be on the 1st team next year I guarantee that! THAREF you'll get to know his name very well next year buddy.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 16, 2013 12:16 p.m.

@Man of Sports
    Yet Bingham didn't FEAR Jordan's NFL QB did they? 4 int's is hardly scoring EVERY TIME he touched the ball. And I can guarantee Bingham wasn't more worried about him then anyone else, if you heard Coach Peck at halftime of the Alta game he said that Alta was the most explosive offense they were going to see all year. He didn't say ANYTHING about #2 at half of the Jordan game!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 16, 2013 12:25 p.m.

@Man of Sports
    He didn't prove anything LOL! You're arguing that he is the best player on Jordan's team. Of course he is, that's easy to see. But you forgot to word it as he is the ONLY weapon on their team, but you chose to word it as their "main" weapon. No he was their ONLY weapon. They had no other weapons. And are you saying that individual stats really trump an undefeated season and winning a championship?!?! Really?? going 7-6 and losing in the semis is somehow better than 14-0 and a trophy?? I don't get it.

• Man of Sports Draper, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 3:39 p.m.

Jarka-rus and Gunner, I will attempt to explain this to you again. Let me begin with how many players in the 5A (or any other classification) do you know that totaled 4,805 total yards and 50 TDs? On top of that - in both of your words - the Jordan QB was the only weapon for Jordan HS. I would say that you have to be some kind of special player if you are the only weapon and every team that you play knows that you are the only weapon and still gain four thousand, eight hundred and five yards and fifty touchdowns. Jordan HS would love to have won the state title again but the AllState awards are not based on how your team did - it is based on individual stats and I would say that the JHS QB has no equal.

• CivilDialogue Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 17, 2013 5:35 p.m.

One overlooked anomaly in this year is All-State awards is the team from Lone Peak. The team of underachievers accomplished something NEVER been done in Utah H.S. Football! They are the FIRST team to play in a Semi-Final Game WITHOUT a single selection to "1st team" squad. Had it not been for a single 2nd Team appearance - the entire team would have remained merely (but honorably) mentioned. Two years ago Mr. James editorialized that in years past “The voting was often comical.” With that in mind - historically over the last 25 years or more, NO 3A, (3AA), 4A & 5A semi-finalist appearing team has been without multiple 1st team picks, let alone left with just a SINGLE 2nd team pick. I'm not sure what the "Deseret News revamped process" actually does. I'd suggest a follow-up story on the first squad to advance to the semi's without a single "first-team caliber player"! It can't be wholly based on personal stats, can it? Do coaches need to pad their stats? No bad feelings - rather factually noteworthy! For those left snubbed in Lone Peak Land "Participation Trophies for All!"

• Man of Sports Draper, UT
    Dec. 26, 2013 10:01 a.m.

Hey jarka-rus and Gunner, I noticed that the other paper got it right as well and not only put the Jordan QB on their exclusive list but also first team. There are a lot of people who understand the kind of talent he has and what kind of number he put up last season. The Jordan QB may be one of the all time best athletes to come out of this state - EVER.