Faith

LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition

Comments

• NT SomewhereIn, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 9:36 a.m.

Looking forward to this!

Remember the reason for the season!

• DMJ Newbury Park, CA
    Dec. 5, 2013 9:47 a.m.

So who will be speaking?

• heidi ho Fort Collins, CO
    Dec. 5, 2013 10:49 a.m.

I love change, and I know the only constant in life is change. Bring it on. : )

• Coco10 CANADA, 00
    Dec. 5, 2013 10:58 a.m.

I couldn't see in the article any details of date, time, etc. Please post. Thanks. :)

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 12:07 p.m.

@dmj, will you choose whether or not to watch based on the speakers?

• Californian#1@94131 San Francisco, CA
    Dec. 5, 2013 2:09 p.m.

-- "So who will be speaking?" --

If they are leaders of the Lord's church and speak by His inspiration, I'll be glad to hear whomever it is.

I hope it isn't announced beforehand. If we learn in advance that someone from the Primary Presidency will be speaking, we'll have to listen to "Ordain Women" gloat for the next three days about how they got Heavenly Father to change His mind.

• tkwitt USA, CA
    Dec. 5, 2013 2:38 p.m.

Any info on why they moved it from the first Sunday to the second Sunday,and whether they plan to keep it on the 2nd Sunday in the future? These sort of surprises really mess with church, family, community calendars.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 3:07 p.m.

heidi ho
    Fort Collins, CO
    I love change, and I know the only constant in life is change. Bring it on. : )

10:49 a.m. Dec. 5, 2013
    =====

So do I.

Change is a good thing,
    it's what makes me Progressive.

On to eternal progression, etc.

• Bob K porland, OR
    Dec. 5, 2013 5:41 p.m.

tkwitt
    USA, CA

Easy to answer for a non-mormon. Sunday, Dec 1 was during Thanksgiving weekend this year.
    Does that help?

• DRay Roy, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 6:07 p.m.

Perhaps the 1st Presidency wants us to realize Jesus is the real Star of the show, and whoever acts as voice, the message comes from above. Now perhaps the 1st Pres. can sit back and enjoy the season a little more. They may also be busy with preparing for future events, one less thing for them to worry about.

• Mel50 Nashville, TN
    Dec. 5, 2013 6:26 p.m.

Please let it be Elder Holland... please let it be Elder Holland...

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Dec. 5, 2013 10:41 p.m.

For those who cannot watch it live...lots of other options available to watch later.

• mattrick78 Cedar City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 11:33 p.m.

@Rikitikitavi

They put it online. You can watch it whenever you want.

• ajas Herriman, UT
    Dec. 6, 2013 7:08 a.m.

The very nature of the article leads to the question of who will be speaking. I was curious myself after reading it and had no thoughts that I wouldn't watch, depending on who the speakers were, or that some speakers weren't as good as others. It's a devotional celebrating Christmas, and the article is just about a name change.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Dec. 6, 2013 8:37 a.m.

@cedar city
    Can a repeat "for those who cannot watch it live...lots of other options to watch later".

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Dec. 6, 2013 8:55 a.m.

With any luck we won't have to listen to any stories about widows this year.

• DMJ Newbury Park, CA
    Dec. 6, 2013 11:57 a.m.

@ Johnny Triumph

@ Californian#1@94131

WOW! I am anxious to hear whomever speaks, Brother or Sister, and I am confident that their messages of inclusion and love will be well accepted by everyone during the season we celebrate the life and ministry of Him who served ALL.

• jbymiller Ft Collins, CO
    Dec. 6, 2013 12:51 p.m.

We could think of it as the second Sunday in December or the first Sunday after the Thanksgiving weekend. I am sure that many people were traveling last weekend and may have missed it.

• thinkfirst SLC, UT
    Dec. 6, 2013 2:29 p.m.

LDS leaders would have a hard time polling 15M members to schedule the Devotional. This is the 1st year I've ever seen Hannukah start during the Thanksgiving holiday; as one reader pointed out, Dec 1 was that weekend. Also, after years of the Gem Faire conflicting with Conference weekend, I emailed the organizers to explain what and when Gen.Conf. was. They changed the dates for the next year. When the Lord asks us to put HIM first, others "miraculously" change their plans. Perhaps those you think are inconvenienced by the Christmas devotional would actually enjoy it and its inclusion in nearly any venue is possible due to technology. It could be a valuable missionary tool instead of an "inconvenience". Just a thought...

• thinkfirst SLC, UT
    Dec. 6, 2013 3:15 p.m.

Dennis-MA: If having heard it before is your criterion for a complaint, perhaps you should start your own religion. After all, Christmas is celebrating a story over 2000 years old and one that was foretold millenia before that. You didn't say whether you are LDS or not, but LDS members "obey, honor, and sustain" their leaders. They also allow for their humanity. The older we get, the more stories we have. Thomas S. Monson is the Prophet and President of the LDS church and we sustain him as such. Personally, I grew up very near him and have heard those stories even more than the general membership and I still love them. President Monson is a Prophet of God. If you aren't gaining anything from hearing stories more than once, perhaps you need to check your reasons for listening.

• Carrie4ya North Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 6, 2013 6:15 p.m.

I'm genuinely curious to see if it will not only be male church leaders outside of the First Presidency. Maybe the change is due to the church's recent increased nods to women?

• anti-liar Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 7, 2013 3:12 a.m.

@thinkfirst

"... but LDS members obey, honor, and sustain their leaders."

With all diplomacy, I think you are confusing part of the above phrase with a similar phrase in the church's 12th Article of Faith, which reads, in part, "We believe ... in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

I am not aware that members of the church are supposed to "obey, honor, and sustain their leaders."

LDS do believe in sustaining their leaders (in their callings).

A somewhat fine distinction, perhaps, but an important one, to keep the record straight.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Dec. 7, 2013 11:12 a.m.

to Dennis

What about Orphans?

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 7, 2013 1:01 p.m.

Business as usual; just a shuffling of the chairs to draw attention and importance.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    Dec. 7, 2013 11:39 p.m.

I cannot even begin to comprehend the load carried by the First Presidency. I, for one, certainly take them for granted. My deepest desire is to follow the Prophet in everything I say and do. I am not too far from seventy years old.

• thinkfirst SLC, UT
    Dec. 8, 2013 12:30 a.m.

anti-liar: The quotation marks did not extend after ...sustain" to "leaders"; however, since we're clarifying matters, LDS church members DO sustain their General Authorities twice a year, by the principle of common consent, during their annual and semi-annual General Conferences. Local authorities are called and their names presented for sustaining by the local congregations in similar fashion. "Obeying and honoring" are logical consequences when those called and sustained speak from the pulpit in conjunction with their responsibilities. Please notice that I also said that members recognize their leaders' humanity; Christ is still the only Being recognized as being perfect.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Dec. 9, 2013 6:09 a.m.

@thinkfirst

You have your own opinions, I have mine.