U.S. & World

Research: Native American genes have Eurasian ancestry

Comments

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 1:54 p.m.

I don't think they're descendants of ancient egyptians or israelites, if that's what you were going for.

• 1.96 Standard Deviations OREM, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 1:55 p.m.

Why do I get the feeling this discussion board is going to morph into a Book of Mormon authenticity topic influenced by those antagonistic toward the church? They will probably collaborate on ex-Mormon sites to come here in droves and to belittle the faith of the Saints using this article as an excuse.

Either way, interesting study. I imagine we'll learn even more with time.

P.S. - The Book of Mormon is true.

• BYR West Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 2:27 p.m.

Well, we know where this discussion will go.

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 2:39 p.m.

Ha! This would be hilarious if science finally "discovers" what the Book of Mormon has been trying to tell people for 150+ years. Of course, science will never fully prove or disprove anything related to God. Using science to learn about spiritual matters is akin to learning calculus by taking a cooking class :-)

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Dec. 4, 2013 3:07 p.m.

Science tells us HOW,
    Religion tells us WHY.

• Logan Palmer, AK
    Dec. 4, 2013 3:11 p.m.

Dang, You guys are drama queens. It's a tiny speck of information. It's dated 24,000 years ago. According to modern religion nothing existed then, however does that make me now indigenous?

• CHS 85 Sandy, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 3:22 p.m.

"Using science to learn about spiritual matters is akin to learning calculus by taking a cooking class :-)"

Couldn't the converse be true as well. Using spirituality to learn about science matters is akin got learning cooking by taking a calculus class?

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 3:31 p.m.

The very earth will testify as to the truthfulness of the gospel.

This is only one study, but it shows that the assumptions made for years about early American DNA are on shaky ground. More and more data come out all the time that refute those who attack the gospel. However, it wouldn't matter if God himself came down to testify to these individuals. They'll just dodge and weave, argue new positions and continue to live in denial.

Those who have left the Church over DNA issues better rethink their position.

• Legalize_the_Constitution SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 3:31 p.m.

Re:gee-en
    I've been a faithful believing orthodox Mormon all my life, but recently have been exposed to historical events that have caused me to doubt the authenticity of many aspects of the church, but I still go and I still believe in many aspects of the church but come from a much different perspective than before. That being said, the DNA argument against the BoM has never been a strong argument for me because I think there are way to many factors to come to a conclusion based on DNA alone.
    I find your response to this article somewhat naive. If you think that the spirit is the only way to discover answers to questions, and that God will somehow give you directions with little to no effort on your part to prove or disprove the truth, then I think you're in for a rude awakening. If you view science as in conflict with religion, then I believe you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Truth is truth, whether it comes from science or religion. We shouldn't be so married to specific doctrines, because doctrines change with time, as our understandings change.

• MJF Somewhere in Time, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 3:36 p.m.

Hutterite: What were you basing your conclusion on? Was it scientific data or just plain intransigence?

• Pelukas Bingham, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 4:18 p.m.

Did you read the Nature.com article?
    It indicates that "...This suggests that populations related to contemporary western Eurasians had a more north-easterly distribution 24,000 years ago than commonly thought...". No changes on how the first Americans arrived here, that is walking during the '...Last Glacial Maximum..."

• Luke Nelson West Valley City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 4:22 p.m.

@Legalize_the_Constitution

First off, I'd recommend the FAIRMormon website for another perspective on those historical issues. Second, getting answers with little to no effort and science being in conflict with religion are both in contradiction with what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches. I think you are reading things into gee-en's post that aren't there.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Dec. 4, 2013 5:06 p.m.

"Why do I get the feeling this discussion board is going to morph into a Book of Mormon authenticity topic influenced by those antagonistic toward the church?"

Why do I get the feeling that the Deseret News' motivations behind "compiling" this story in this manner is exactly to reference, without actually saying, the Book of Mormon?

The researchers in no way indicated that Native Peoples didn't all come across the land bridge. Take a look at where Lake Baikal is--it is nowhere near the Middle East as the article assumes. The area of Eurasia the researchers studied is in Russia--as in the country with which the land bridge would connect. We've known for a long time that there were at least two separate migrations out of Africa, and that at least two of the groups interacted with each other in what is now China. In fact, the Human Genome project found that significant portions of the entire world stem from a mixed group in Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, etc), including all of Europe.

In short, the author is merely trying to bend the research further than it actually goes.

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 5:35 p.m.

Just a side note on this kind of stuff. I've always been more impressed with Book of Mormon authenticity based upon all the Central and South American civilizations and ruins that have been discovered. Stuff that certainly Joseph Smith nor anyone in his circle could have known much about in their day.

• Legalize_the_Constitution SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 6:08 p.m.

re:Luke Nelson
    I'm familiar with the apologetics sites and I use some of what they say to help me research, but as a whole I find their conclusions lacking depth, and I also find many of their arguments to be logical fallacies, for example they may attack the credibility of someone in order to try and disprove a point instead of discussing the issue at hand. That being said, I'm still on a journey that will likely last the rest of this life, so I'm not in a hurry to have all the answers. I believe in God and that's the core of my foundation now, and I'm building from there.

As for science not being in conflict with the church's teachings, it depends on what you consider church teachings. Many statements from prophets in the past and today would lead a person to believe that science is in conflict with religion. The other challenging thing is identifying just what the church's position is on various topics. I think the church needs more transparency and clarity on doctrine, especially with respect to changes that have occurred over time.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Dec. 4, 2013 7:14 p.m.

As important as scientific knowledge is, it isn't the most important source of knowledge. Experience isn't science, but it is knowledge, perhaps the most important kind of knowledge anyone obtains in this life.

• wrz Phoenix, AZ
    Dec. 5, 2013 12:47 a.m.

@happy2bhere:
    "I've always been more impressed with Book of Mormon authenticity based upon all the Central and South American civilizations and ruins that have been discovered."

Central and South American DNA is Asian... these people likely came via the Bering Strait. The Hopewell Indians, who inhabited areas through the Ohio Valley to upstate New York, have Mid-East DNA.

• Bob K porland, OR
    Dec. 5, 2013 3:48 a.m.

A-- The article makes sense, since, for instance, Iroquois and Aztecs bear very little resemblance.

B-- I forgot that it contradicts the BOM, until I saw the comments. It is easy for me to view the Old Testament as "The form of the story that people of that time could absorb", and I believe God likely set Evolution in motion and let it play out, the way He puts you on the Earth and gives you free will.

As for the BOM -- MAYBE we could see it as a bit "enhanced" to captivate the people of the time, but that the lds religion is still good for its adherents whether some of he BOM stories are not quite verifiable.

Again, I think we were given free will to see it as we see it -- not all agree.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 6:41 a.m.

24,000 & 17,000 years of human existence sort of gives the lie to the Biblical account of the creation.

Since humans migrated out of Africa, they had to go North before the came across the land bridges to the Americas. It wouldn't surprise me to find that there is some connection w/Europe in the ancestry. Not to mention that the Vikings were also travelling to the Americas LONG before Chris C. made his historic journey.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 7:12 a.m.

I for one do not need hardcore, solid "proof" to substanciate my "beliefs".

I re-watched the movie "Contact" last night after reading this article.
    Same premise as we have here.
    Science vs. Religion.

If you have "proof", you do not need "faith".
    If you have "faith", you do not need "proof".

Because,
    Faith is a belief in something unseen or unknown.

I prefer to keep the Faith.

• Hank Jr Draper, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 1:12 p.m.

Science is finally catching up.

• RedShirtMIT Cambridge, MA
    Dec. 5, 2013 1:16 p.m.

To "Bob K" how is there any contradiction. In the Introduction to the BoM it states "all were destroyed except the Lamanites, and they are among the ancestors of the American Indians." That means that the Lamanites are only one of an unknown number of blood lines that have created the Native American Indians. The cool thing is that by understanding that, we can accept the fact that in the Eastern US, the indians have Middle Eastern bloodlines, and in Central America they have Asian bloodlines. Apparently there has been more than the 2 migrations to the US mentioned in the BoM.

• m.g. scott clearfield, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 3:26 p.m.

wrz

Yeah, and then right along that Rio Grande just south of the lower 48 all of the sudden the DNA became European, not Asian. OK. I guess that is supposed to somehow discredit my original point.