Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just short in loss to Boise State

Comments

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 10:31 p.m.

Utes fought hard but the youthful mistakes were very apparent towards the end of the game.

The Onwas ejection was unbelievable in my view. It's unfortunate that the refs took a game away from that young man. There is a difference between a malicious flagrant foul, and a basketball play. There was nothing malicious about the play and I feel sorry for Onwas.

The team looked great a times, sloppy at others. You can't win close games when missing so many free throws. That needs to improve.

Still extremely excited for the rest of the season. GO UTES!!!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 10:34 p.m.

Didn't affect the game overall, but that was quite a stretch to call Onwas' foul a flagrant 2. That, and the change to the hand check rule this year... what is happening to basketball? Maybe next year they'll have the players suit up in bubble wrap.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 10:37 p.m.

Free throws were so frustrating. Shoot 72% (the team's average) and win by one or two possessions. Very fun game to watch, though. Both these teams can run the court, and Boise should challenge USU, CSU and SDSU in the MWC. The play I consider that lost the game was Wright driving 1-on-4 and trapped himself in the corner with no timeouts. Good to see the team respond in the second half, hope to see them build off it against Fresno on Friday!

The one gripe I have: with these new foul interpretations, touch fouls in the last minute deserve to be called just as much as touch fouls in the first 39. Jordan wouldn't have tried the shot at the buzzer the way he did if he hadn't drawn contact on it.

• orem_man_am_i orem, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 10:50 p.m.

That was some unfortunate scheduling want Westminster college available?

• TroyTown Anaheim, CA
    Dec. 3, 2013 10:59 p.m.

"Both these teams can run the court..."

Seriously, with a final score of 69-67, lowest scoring game of the season for both teams?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 11:01 p.m.

utah played a decent game although their inexperience of playing any sort of tough opponent was obvious at the end as they choked on multiple possessions. But who knows if boise is any good either as they haven't played anyone so there is no way to know. SOS is everything according to utah "fans" and these two teams SOS is embarrassingly low.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 11:10 p.m.

TroyTown, curious if you watched the game. Did I say they did the entire game, or that neither team made adjustments against it throughout the game? 3-point shooting is a big part of both teams' transition offense, and neither team was shooting very well tonight. Final score alone doesn't tell the story of what happened in a game.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 3, 2013 11:56 p.m.

Now we can start counting the moral victories in basketball since football is over.
    So far we have thew following:
    Utah 6 - high schools 0
    Division 1 teams 1 - utes 0
    I can see that this will be a season of blaming it on the refs.

I agree with Troy town about running the court. 67 points is NOT running the court. If you want to see running wait until BYU comes to town and lay big numbers on the utsies. Of course there is always the strategy the used last year with holding the ball until the last 5 seconds of the clock. The runnin' utes will not have the legs to run with the Cougs.

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:00 a.m.

A lot of complaining about the refs tonight. I see how this season is going to play out. The utes will wins against div. II and NAIA (high school)teams and lose to Div. I teams.
    Unfortunately the utes will eventually have to start to play decent team and on the road, and when that happens so long to a winning record. I see the utes getting to about 12 wins this year.

• troutman Washington, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:45 a.m.

OH my UTE fans, how can a PAC 12 team lose to a lowly Mountain West team?
    Isn't that what you always say Ute fans?
    I mean Boise State had no business being on the same level as the Utes. I mean didn't the Utes and the Y make the MWC what it is today?
    Got news for you Utes, San Diego State, New Mexico, would kick your butt. USU would in Logan and maybe even SLC. So good luck Utes playing the Sister-Sisters of the Poor. That is only where you will get your wins AGAIN!

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:58 a.m.

"Coming into the game, Boise State ranked 31st in the AP poll, in the “others receiving votes“ category and 32nd in the coaches poll"

With Boise State having the 344th most difficult schedule (out of 351, from KenPom) it is difficult to tell if they should be getting any votes in either poll. KenPom shows them at 63rd, I guess time will tell.

Too bad the Utes couldn't pull this one out, this was one of the better nonconference teams on their schedule.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:58 a.m.

Great Free Throw shooting...lol.

It's a little different playing on a court other than the HC isn't it??? And then when you throw in seats that actually have people sitting in them it can get a little intimidating can't it?

Poor preseason scheduling, poor preparation, predictable results... Prior to the game the utes had a 166 RPI to "snag" 11th out of 12 teams in the big bad pac12. And, a 347 SOS (only 4 teams in all of America College Teams had an lighter schedule)... Only Washington at 205 is worse... Not much of a power statement, but then the big bad pac12 only has one team in the RPI top 25 and that is Arizona at 14... The weakling WCC has just three teams in the RPI top 25 (Gonzaga at 23; St. Marys at 16; oh, and BYU at 9).

And so "the predictable routine collapse of the ute's Basketball Program begins again utes begins again this season... I feel sorry for Loveridge, he could have been a Cougar... Oh well...

• But seriously folks! Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 4:38 a.m.

Sounds like couch k is borrowing some one liners from Whit in describing the loss I guess we will see a lot of this all season long as the utes now stare at a real schedule coming at them in a few weeks. I hope they can reach their 10-12 wins before they have start playing real teams because I don't see many more n the horizon. Can't wait for the Cougs to hit town.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 6:31 a.m.

Rebounding and stopping dribble penetration are areas the Utes must improve if they are to improve. Fun game to watch.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 6:34 a.m.

We should have won because we are in a prestegous conference and that makes us more prestegous than boise but the refs forgot about that and gave the game to boise and thats not fair.

Go Utes!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 4, 2013 7:25 a.m.

Great game and a great watch. Very winnable, but poor decisions down the stretch and free throw shooting killed the Utes. Utah looks better than last year; Jordan Loveridge can Hoop!

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 7:32 a.m.

Utah will not lose another non-conference regular season road game the rest of the year. Call me bold, but mark it down!

In all seriousness, Boise State is a very good top 50 program. For the Utes to go in and challenge them shows the weak scheduling has paid off in confidence. We will see if the Utes can make it to the NCAA's this year, but they should at least make some post season tournament. Good job Utes!

• General Alpine, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 7:50 a.m.

Pre game the Utes had the 351st strongest schedule in the country, out of 351 teams. Boise State? 349th.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 7:58 a.m.

The "fan" now resorting to not only disparaging Utah's players, but now every player of every team on Utah's schedule. That's at least the one predictable event to occur this year. "utsies?" What are we, 5?

• Mortoon Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 4, 2013 7:58 a.m.

I was at the game and agree that the officiating was bad. Loverage went to the line several times on phantom fouls and if Marks hadn't sat for a bad call on a charge early in the second half the broncos would have won by 15.

• ET Bass Idaho Falls, ID
    Dec. 4, 2013 7:59 a.m.

I was beginning to think that Utah was going to go undefeated this year!

• plyxply SLC, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 8:12 a.m.

The great thing about being a Ute is that we are able to rely on your PAC 12 affiliation to help grow our program. Last year Boise would've blown the Utes right off the court, this year they are in the game til the end almost. I will fly my pac 12 flag proudly and display multiple stickers announcing to all that I am better than you because I am in the pac 12. Winning and losing no longer matter, we pac 12 fans have already won.

• pocyUte Pocatello, ID
    Dec. 4, 2013 8:45 a.m.

The good:

-Adjustments at half time
    -Wright's rebounding
    -Bachynski continues to be really aggressive
    -Loveridge in the 2nd half

The bad:
    -Losing
    -First half shooting
    -Team rebounding
    -FREE THROWS, KAAAAAAAHHHHHNNNN!!!!
    -1st half defense on #2 (I think Marks was his name)

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 8:50 a.m.

To my fellow BYU fans: beating the utes this year is going to be tougher than a lot of you think. Utah is a lot better this year, SOS and RPI aside, they have good players in Wright and Loverage that can flat out ball. BYU and Utah seem to be suffering from some of the mistakes you see in young teams...especially poor FT shooting. Utah cleans up some mistakes and shoots 70% from the line and they win this game. I watched BSU play Idaho last week because I was in Boise for thanksgiving. BSU doesn't look as good this year, but Utah looks much better. I think there's good reason for ute fans to be optimistic about this team.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Dec. 4, 2013 9:00 a.m.

I agree with Cougsndawgs. Utah is much improved and will be pretty good.
    BYU this is pretty classless mocking a team that lost by 2.
    Same to the Ute fans who mocked BYU for losing by 2 to Iowa State.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 9:28 a.m.

utah "fans" you reap what you sew with the mocking. Go back and read the comments from the BYU/iowa st game.

That said I watched quite a bit of this game last night and here is my honest assessment.

utah is better. They would have lost that game by at least 25 points the last 2 years.

Wright is going to be very good, I honestly don't know why much better programs than utah didn't pursue him, kudo's to utah for getting him.

Loveridge is limited, he is a good player but I don't think he'll ever be a star. He can be a very good #2 player but if they are banking on him to be their top dog they will never advance beyond ok.

The terrible schedule they have played has been a disservice to them. The manner in which they floundered around the last few minutes, lost their lead, and then choked away a bunch of possessions is a direct result of playing bad teams and being unchallenged. They might have won that game if they had played a couple of other decent teams already even if they had lost to them.

• romeisn'tburning layton, ut
    Dec. 4, 2013 9:28 a.m.

Utah had every chance to win this game, and they just couldn't close the deal. All excuses aside (like bad calls, and misses from the foul line etc) they had the lead with a minute to go and let the game slip out of their hands. I think not having Princeton was painful especially since the Utes were able to get some momentum and score 42 points in the second half, even without him. Boise State isn't traditionally a good basketball team, but they have all 5 returning starters from a team that had 20 wins and a tourney invite last year.

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 9:46 a.m.

2013-14 Final Projected Results for Utah

OOC = 10-2
    PAC = 7-11 (8th)
    Overall = 17-13

Slim chance of pulling an upset versus BYU.
    2nd round exit in the PAC tournament.
    Possible NIT bid.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 9:52 a.m.

StGtoSLC

Coach small k won't even try to run with BYU because he knows his "runnin' Utes" would get run off the court. If you're only capable of running in spurts, then you're really not a running team.

• BYU9293 Clinton, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 10:02 a.m.

I am not sure what to make of this game. I think Utah is better than I thought and Boise not as good. I had not seen them play until last night. Utah did some things well. It will be an interesting game byu/Utah. I think Utah will try to slow the tempo, if they can keep the score low like last nights game, they have a real shot, but if the game is up tempo, I think byu will win easily. That is easier said than done though.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 10:09 a.m.

Oh, beloved Utes, how you have fallen. I have lost no sleep. I have not turned on a game. I've not rushed out to purchase RED clothing. I do not wake in the morning excited to read the headlines. I do not commit money to the program.

Because, our team is a real team...go Cougs!

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 4, 2013 10:13 a.m.

If any teams contending for a spot in the 68 team NCAA Tourney Bracket lose to the utes during the course of the season it will be considered "a bad loss" and count against them and negate what the selection committee calls a "good win"...

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 10:16 a.m.

@ Duckhunter and plyxply

Utah played Boise St. last year and won 76-55.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 10:24 a.m.

I'm not a big Utah fan, but do believe they did better than a lot of people expected them to do against Boise, who is definitely a decent team. And playing on the road against Boise is never easy. This game was close and winnable for the Utes.

The Utes are definitely better than last year and will probably surprise some people in some games this season. Opponents would be wise to not take them too lightly.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 10:38 a.m.

The notion that the close loss was a direct result of prior scheduling is conjecture. Even very good teams (and no, I'm not saying Utah is in that category for the trolls that would extrapolate that to jump all over) make costly mistakes in tight games from time to time. Chris Weber was the most dominant college player I've ever seen, but his entire college career is overshadowed by one mental error.

The non-conference schedule is what it is. It's been harped on every hour on the hour since September by folks like "Down fishin buster seriously whatever other names he/she comes up with" and in itself doesn't provide the fans a lot of excitement, but I understand it this year so I'm not upset about. Next year I will be openly displeased with something similar. With Wright and Loveridge adding the strength and power of Chapman and the finesse of Kuzma, the team should be experienced at the top and skilled and deep trickling down, and deserve better competition and notoriety than they get from their slate this year.

• Truthfully Eagle Mountain, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 10:42 a.m.

It's gonna be a long season for the Utes. They likely aren't good enough to make any post season tournaments. One good recruit and a couple of average ones each year is not bringing enough talent into the program to compete.
    Good luck to them though. Maybe some players will step up, but they don't look very good yet.

• Utes22 SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 10:58 a.m.

Tough loss but I think the Utes learn a lot from this and benefit for the rest of the season. Lets get some good practices in and come ready for Fresno on Saturday. I'll be bringing my little boy to his first ever Utah came and couldn't be more excited. Good luck this week
    Go Utes!!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 10:59 a.m.

@2fer

I didn't say they would have lost to boise by 25 points, I said they would have lost that game by 25 points. They wouldn't have been able to hang in a game played that way previously. They are better this year so they are able to play better in a more up tempo game. No that game was not lights out run and gun but it was a huge step up from the style of play utah has employed the last couple of years and utah was able to hang in playing a faster tempo.

That is a compliment by the way, not a put down.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 11:06 a.m.

I don't think the officiating was poor. It was average. But, I feel for the refs and players having to adjust to the emphasis on eliminating hand-checking. While I think the emphasis is appropriate, it makes for an uglier game in the immediate future (too many fouls, too many free throws).

• let's roll LEHI, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 11:16 a.m.

Very entertaining game. Still way too early to make any assessment of the team.

• Crow Sandy , UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 11:24 a.m.

@ CWEB the Utes had fallen but are on the up swing, and they have never had a 1-26 season like one in state program I know.

It will be a great game when the two meet up.

• Balan South Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 4, 2013 11:52 a.m.

Yes, 20 years ago BYU had a 1-26 season but within a couple of years they were back on top (trust a Ute to flip back in the record books almost 20 years to try and make a point).

So tell me, how many years has Utah been getting pounded and when are they actually going to prove, by winning on the court, that they are actually back?

BYU has never gone through a stretch like Utah is experiencing now.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:04 p.m.

"BYU has never gone through a stretch like Utah is experiencing now."
    If the answer for Utah's struggle is "move to the WCC and battle for 3rd place", um... thanks, but no thanks.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:07 p.m.

Funny, hearing Ute fans whine about one-way officiating. This from a conference notorious for homer officials.

Can't have it both ways, kids!

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:09 p.m.

Crow

Don't kid yourself.

The Utes have been a smoldering train wreck for most of the last decade.

Since Bogut and the last remnants of the Majerus era left after 2004-05:

BYU 216-68(76%) 8 20+ win seasons, 6 NCAAs, 2 NITs, 4 conf champs
    Utah 122-138(47%) 1 20+ win season, 6 losing seasons, 1 NCAA, 1 conf champ

The ONLY reason Utah's overall record has improved dramatically over the last two seasons is because the Utes decided to pad their win totals with OOC cupcakes.

Compare Utah's OOC schedules the last two years, with the following, BYU's OOC schedule the year after their 1-25 season:

Oregon
    Utah State
    Penn State
    Boise State
    Washington
    Weber State
    Pepperdine
    California
    Hawaii
    Virginia
    Ohio State

Frankly, if I was a Utah fan, I'd be embarrassed by the cowardly approach Utah has adopted to "rebuild" their program.

• Christy B Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:11 p.m.

Crow

"Utah will be able to run and gun with BYU. They have more athletic guards and their front court is significantly better then BYU's."

Only in our dreams.

• Gone fishin PAC Country, WA
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:17 p.m.

I have to give the utes some props here. They only lost by 2 points on the road to an average team. I do worry that they may have seen their best wins of the year early on laying the worst teams in the country.
    I also give props to BYU for scheduling the 6th toughest schedule in the country and only losing two games to top 25 teams,
    BYU is on the way up and should challenge for their conference title and Utah will struggle once they hit conference play and end somewhere about where the football team finished.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:28 p.m.

SoonerUte

LOL at your crimson-colored hyperbole.

BYU didn't need to join the WCC in order to get better; BYU has been much better than the Utes for most of the last decade, including when both teams were still in the MWC.

So slap another PAC 12 sticker on your tricycle, if it helps you sleep at night, but that still won't change the fact that the Utes are still only the distant third best program in the state:

Current RPI Rankings
    10 Brigham Young
    32 Utah State
    127 Utah
    199 Weber State

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:39 p.m.

Re: WA Alum etc. "Funny, hearing Ute fans whine about one-way officiating."

Who are the Ute fans complaining about the officiating.? The flagrant 2 call was bad and anyone that knows BB understands that. The only ones I saw mentioning the refs was the author of the article and numerous BYU commenters.

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:49 p.m.

Ufan

"2013-14 Final Projected Results for Utah

OOC = 10-2
    PAC = 7-11 (8th)
    Overall = 17-13

Slim chance of pulling an upset versus BYU.
    2nd round exit in the PAC tournament.
    Possible NIT bid."

Unfortunately, you're probably pretty close on your predictions.

Utah will undoubtedly win a few more games overall with their abysmal pre-season schedule, but in the end, it's just window dressing. Playing the likes of Evergreen State isn't going to prepare the Utes for teams like Arizona, UCLA, and Oregon.

With the way the PAC schedule lays out, the Utes will probably get off to what appears to be a fast 4-1 start with Oregon, OSU, @Washington, @WSU, and USC in their first 5 games.

But, that will be fool's gold.

Then the Utes will tank when they start playing the better teams of the conference.

Utah could very easily finish on a 6-game losing streak, losing 10 of their last 13 from mid-January to the end of the regular season.

The euphoria of being 14-3, 4-1, and hopes of maybe even playing in the big dance, will quickly fade as the losses start mounting up.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:50 p.m.

I love how the BYU fans flock to Utah threads to try and jusfity the significance of their program. Amussing, to say the least!

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:58 p.m.

Spokane Ute

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:58 p.m.

Bla, bla, bla, bla, bla..... Haters out in force today. Very little commentary about what actually took place on the court. Embarrassing for your school that claims to be above such behavior.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this team performs in their next two games.

Go Utes!

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Dec. 4, 2013 1:17 p.m.

Magna Ute Fan

Sorry, most BYU fans probably didn't watch the Utah game because they were busy watching their own team tune up for another game against a Top 25 opponent.

As far as commentary about what happened on the court, the score tells us all we need to know about the game - the Utes lost to the only decent team they've played all season.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 4, 2013 1:27 p.m.

Not whinning, just telling the truth. Case in Point. Show us your nobody will take us sticker, that's my favorite.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Dec. 4, 2013 1:28 p.m.

Who's on who's thread? The screen name speaks volumes.

• mn_online In, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 1:32 p.m.

I was listening to the local sports guys on the radio in Boise before the game yesterday. They predicted a BSU win based on the fact that "the Utes are only undefeated because they haven't played anybody yet this year". I suppose they hadn't looked at BSU's first six wins before they said that. The two point slugfest we were treated to last night shows very little about either team. Based on what I saw, both are relatively average teams that I'd be surprised to see in the tournament in March.

• Solomon the Wise Alpine, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 2:06 p.m.

Spokane Ute

"Show us your nobody will take us sticker"

You're forgetting, this is a basketball thread and BYU is in a conference that embraces religiously-based institutions, rather than shunning them.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 4, 2013 2:30 p.m.

Spokane Ute
    Spokane, WA

Okay, I'll admit, I'm only reading the comments about the Utah game the same way I slow down and rubber-neck as I pass a car wreck. Not proud of it, but there it is.

Consciously, I am embarrassed by all the BYU fans piling on after the Utes close loss to what may be a decent to good opponent.

But just under the surface, I'm here because I like to see fans best represented by Chris B and Ernest T get their noses rubbed in it. However, I can appreciate that many Utah fans are not all that different than me: trying to make good choices but a little conflicted when it comes to my "rival."

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Dec. 4, 2013 2:29 p.m.

Clearly Utah is improving, coach K is to be commended for that, but fans and critics alike need to realize it's a long way up from the bottom of the barrel. Enjoy the direction your team is headed, don't worry too much about where you're currently at on the journey, and don't listen too much to our comments from the cheap seats. Venting here help us to be civil to our wives and kids and to not kick the dog.

• CrumJ Taylorsville, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 2:41 p.m.

Boise State is better than Byu, so I don't see why Byu fans feel they have any room to talk. BSU went to the tourney last year, something Byu didn't do, in a much tougher conference, and have EIGHT returning players from that team including all five starters. They will be one of the top two or three teams in the Mountain West, if not the top team, and will be in the NCAA tournament come March. Who cares who they've played so far, a tourney team from last year doesn't get worse by returning that many players.

Utah was noticeably hesitant especially early in this game, definitely had a case of the road jitters. This comes back to the weak schedule, particularly the fact they hadn't played any road games yet. Still, had this game been played at home, Utah probably wins by 8.

• kitsutsuki South Jordan, Utah
    Dec. 4, 2013 2:55 p.m.

Wow - listen to all the excuses - we got homered by the refs, if the game had been at home we would have won, Boise is better than BYU (implying Utah is better than BYU?), etc. etc. etc.

Your program is still is disarray and will be until you prove otherwise - on the court.

If it makes you feel better, which I am sure it does, slap that PAC11.1+u sticker on your tricycles and show your conference pride for the world to see!

• killarney Lincoln Park, IL
    Dec. 4, 2013 3:02 p.m.

CrumJ

What does last year have to do with how good BYU, BSU, and Utah are this year?

BYU added 7 new players this year including a 4-star center and a former MWC freshman of the year to a team that barely missed the NCAA tournament last year.

BYU has players that used to be starters who are now riding the pine because BYU has gotten that much better.

Current RPI

#10 BYU
    #25 BSU
    #127 Utah

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 4, 2013 3:14 p.m.

Watched the 2nd half of the Utes after watching my Cougs dismantle UNT. This was the first time I've seen the Utes play this year.

Utes are better than I expected after losing 4 of their top 6 most productive players from last year.

I said pre-season, they wouldn't reach .500, but I'll adjust after what I saw:

OOC = 10-2
    PAC = 6-12
    Overall = 16-14

I still don't think there will be an NCAA or NIT invite with the weak non-conference.

• Magna Ute Fan Magna, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 3:30 p.m.

talkinsports-

"...most BYU fans probably didn't watch the Utah game because they were busy watching their own team..." Exactly. So why bother coming here to post your mean spirited rants? Why do you bother coming here to try to spin everything in some dark light? I know you're going to tell me because Ute fans do the same to BYU articles. And two wrongs make a right.

• killarney Lincoln Park, IL
    Dec. 4, 2013 3:37 p.m.

Pot meet kettle.

• Glenn A. Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 3:58 p.m.

Honest questions for BYU fans (not trying to start an argument, just genuinely curious):

Why do you care about the Utes' OOC? Seriously, what impact does it have on the Cougars? My guess is none, but am I wrong? Do you chide it simply to "silence" annoying Ute fans? If so, kind of a lost cause, no? Annoying fans on both sides will be eternally vocal.

If (and I understand it's a big if) the Utes' beat the Cougars on Dec. 14th what will your take be on the weak OOC, then? Surely, there's no plausible way Utah can beat BYU based on their OOC. If it happens, what will be your explanation?

• Chamberlain Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 4:13 p.m.

Magna Ute Fan

It's laughable that Utah fans swarm BYU articles with degrading comments after every BYU loss, but whine when BYU fans respond with much more subdued comments after a Utah loss.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Dec. 4, 2013 4:40 p.m.

@ Balan "Yes, 20 years ago BYU had a 1-26 season but within a couple of years they were back on top. BYU has never gone through a stretch like Utah is experiencing now"

Utah winning record 2009 - 2012 41%
    BYU winning record 1996 - 1999 33%

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Dec. 4, 2013 4:49 p.m.

@Duckhunter "utah "fans" you reap what you sew with the mocking. Go back and read the comments from the BYU/iowa st game"

This is code for "I do it because someone else did it first" A very redeeming quality indeed.

• Gone fishin PAC Country, WA
    Dec. 4, 2013 4:47 p.m.

I am neither a BYU fan or a Utah fan really but I enjoy following these threads, Utah fans are in total denial as to how bad their team is really. They will see the reality of how bad it is when they start to play half way decent teams and on the road. They may be better than last year but that is not saying much. There was nowhere to go but up. They are inexperienced and young and the season will take its toll half way through. I predict 12-14 wins at best. They will miss out on post-season play, again this year.

BYU is a good team that had really good talent that will get much better as the season goes on. They have already proven that. When you can have 4 guards score in double figures and run the other teams ragged it spells trouble for their opponents. Mika is getting better every game and is tough to defend. I see them winning somewhere in the 25 game range and making it to the NCAA tourney due to their RPI and SOS. That stuff matters to the selection committee.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 4:47 p.m.

@ kitsutsuki aka uteanymous

Nobody has blamed the officials for the outcome of the game. That's not our MO; it's yours.

As for the "tricycle" smack. That's just weak, even for you.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Dec. 4, 2013 4:58 p.m.

Slap a PAC12 sticker on your tricycles. Seriously?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 5:19 p.m.

@u90

"Your team is in the West Coast Conference. It's not like you are dealing from a position of strength where conferences affiliation is concerned.... but you already knew that."

And your team is a perennial loser that hasn't had a winning season in several years. It's not like you are dealing from a position of strength where quality of program is concerned.....but you already new that

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Dec. 4, 2013 6:17 p.m.

duckhunter,

I said nothing about Utah being dominant or weak in 2013. I was responding to the flurry of PAC12 sticker comments made by byu "fans". Try to keep up.

Regarding your assertion that Utah is a perennial loser. The Utes are one of the most successful all-time programs in college basketball... actually ranked #10 by SI a few years ago. But you already new that. Below is a cut and paste from espn

UTAH
    Final Fours 4
    Tournament Record 35-30
    Championship Seasons 1944

BYU
    Final Fours 0
    Tournament Record 15-30
    Championship Seasons None

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Dec. 4, 2013 6:18 p.m.

Now that Utah and BYU get a two-year break from each other in football, and in basketball we Cougar fans have reason to expect none but the most delusional Ute fans will be coming on to argue the supposed superiority of their basketball team, perhaps that will help reduce the level of nonsense between fan bases. One can hope.

I admit I love seeing BYU haters get it dished back to them as much as the next guy. But in the interest of seeing things improve between fan bases, I am willing follow the recent example of a number of other BYU commenters wishing the Ute sports teams no ill, and I will go for the rest of the non-conference season not red-baiting. Any Ute fans publicly willing to take that invite?

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 7:24 p.m.

WA_Alum&Dad, I'll promise you this: I too will wish no ill to BYU's teams or any of their athletes. I'll refrain from excusing away their successes and piling on to their losses. I won't openly and intentionally provoke confrontation. But I won't turn a blind eye from the classless drivel, name calling, and flat out lying that some special cases so frequently try to pass off as civil dialogue, and I will point out inconsistencies in arguments when I recognize them. Due to the fact that I may follow a BYU article once or twice in every few weeks, while I typically read most of the Utah articles, these will usually be ignorant anti-Utah posts. But I am much happier talking about the games and sports themselves, so I hope to see you around and have good convo! Take care, guy.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Dec. 4, 2013 8:09 p.m.

@Thomas Jefferson "Utah has decided to take the low road. By that I mean scheduling the weakest opponent possible in the major sports.... They have padded their schedule with marshmallows."

That must explain how Utah ended up with the #1 SOS in football in 2013 and will probably be there again in 2014 as they replace BYU with Michigan, Utah State with Fresno and Weber with ISU. Do you really consider what you're saying before you post?

Basketball is a different story. Utah is clearly scheduling cupcakes because they are trying to rebuild the program.... which is not a half bad strategy given how bad the basketball team has been over the last 2-3 years.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 8:10 p.m.

This rivalry has become ridiculous at times, so thank you WA Alum & StGSLC...I'll take that challenge as well. Good luck utes.

• stampederus Ephraim, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 8:49 p.m.

It was interesting to note that a team from the prestigious Pac-12 get beat by a team from the prestigious MWC. Playing cupcake teams to get to 6 - 0 may not be the best challenge when one gets to play a D1 school. Go, Broncos!

• 4 in a row! Ogden, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 9:14 p.m.

Why would anyone go back in time? We have plenty of state championships and there are enough laughs from your comments on this story.

• No playoff for U Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 9:37 p.m.

U 90

Love the revisionist history of Utah fans. Utah dropped BYU to schedule Michigan long before Dr. Hill knew that Utah's schedule would be #1 in the country in 2013.

NOTHING Utah did accounts for Utah's SOS this year; it was simply the luck of the draw that Oregon and Stanford replaced Washington and California on Utah's schedule.

LOL at your blast from the past basketball history lesson; unfortunately for U, the program that Majerus built died almost a decade ago.

7 in a row; 11 of the last 12; 12 of 15 during the Rose era. BYU now owns you in basketball.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 11:03 p.m.

@ ThomasJefferson

Sagarin, who has one of the most respected ranking systems and is the most commonly cited on these boards, has Utah with the number 1 SOS.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 11:15 p.m.

These comments sound like a child's play ground fight, He hit me first, No, he hit me first and on and on. Collegiate athletics is supposed to foster sportsmanship and maturity. Thus far it's not working. Being gracious winners and gracious losers among Utah schools needs a lot of work.

• CG Orem, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 8:02 a.m.

2fer

Yet even Sagarin has Utah ranked BELOW BYU:

#28 BYU
    #33 Utah

In the BCS standings (which include all of the BCS computer rankings):

#39 BYU
    #56 Utah

----------

In college basketball RPI rankings, which this article is about:

#9 BYU (#6 SOS)
    #137 Utah (#330 SOS)

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 8:28 a.m.

@Poyman..."For example, any team beating the Cougars this year will have a "good win"... but I suspect that there won't be too many of those."

LOL!

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 8:37 a.m.

@mussingaround..."I love how the only thing you can do to justify your program is whine about BYU fans. Slap another PAC 12 sticker on something; that'll show 'em."

Slap another L to the cougies record in football vs Utah

Your screen name says it all love the jealousy you have of the Utes!!

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 8:45 a.m.

@killnary..."BYU added 7 new players this year including a 4-star center"

Wow a 4 star center awesome bro

• 11 of past 12 Seattle, WA
    Dec. 5, 2013 10:59 a.m.

Football is over for the utes. Let's move on to basketball. I'm new to these boards but I love the excuses that the utes make for scheduling the softest schedule in almost all the nation. It is quite laughable really. When you are ranked almost last in SOS and RPI you should not be beating your chest about pac membership. The utes are in way over their heads and should consider moving back the a conference where they can compete.

• TrueBlue Orem, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 11:00 a.m.

2b

"Wow a 4 star center awesome bro"

It is awesome if you're a BYU fan; not so much if you're a jealous little bro!

2013 Recruiting Class
    BYU - two 4-star (two ESPN100), three 3-star
    Utah - two 3-star, one 2-star

2014 Recruiting Class
    BYU - two 4-star (two ESPN100), two 3-star; one 2-star
    Utah - two 4-star (one ESPN100), one 2-star

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 1:25 p.m.

"I'm new to these boards"

Good one. Your screen name may be new, but you've been on this article 3 times already and every other Utes article for at least the past year.

• TrollPolice Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 2:37 p.m.

2B

Breaking news: the bcs has absolutely NOTHING to do with major college basketball, and after this season, won't have anything to do with major college football.

• 2020 Herriman, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 2:38 p.m.

You can't refer to a team as, "little brother," if you can't beat them.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Dec. 5, 2013 3:40 p.m.

are they going to the Rose Bowl?

• Ufan Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 4:00 p.m.

2020

When you finish with a better record and higher ranking in 6 of the last 9 seasons, you have beaten them.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 5, 2013 10:57 p.m.

@ CG

Thank you for that completely irrelevant reply, which had nothing to do with my post.