BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half surge propels Cougars past USU

Comments

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Nov. 30, 2013 8:28 p.m.

Wow--what a barn burner! The crowd is great, for both schools. Thank goodness for BYUtv!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 8:54 p.m.

USU looks every bit as talented, maybe a little more, but BYU is just much better conditioned. Ags don't have their legs under their perimeter shots as well, and are starting to have more and more mental lapses as the game comes closer to its end, often times a result of just tiring out. Two good teams, though. With Alford gone from UNM and UNLV looking like they may be on a down year, could be a big year for USU in their first MWC season.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 9:06 p.m.

Like you said WA, aggies and cougars alike can thank byutv for that coverage. Winning team, losing team! Go cougs

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Nov. 30, 2013 9:08 p.m.

Frank Bartley was a great addition to this team. He has really impressed me so far this season.

Good win over a good team. It's always nice to beat USU.

• spokaloo White Salmon, WA
    Nov. 30, 2013 9:13 p.m.

"Tournament worthy teams don't go 1-3 against Iowa state, Texas, Utah state, and Wichita"

Glad BYU went 2-2 then!

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Nov. 30, 2013 9:17 p.m.

What a great game! Exciting to watch! I liked how the refs let the players play without calling a million fouls and ruining a good game!

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Nov. 30, 2013 9:23 p.m.

Great hard-fought game by both teams. Glad the Cougars re-grouped at the half. Lots of props to the Aggie fans in the arena. Felt like March, not November.

Good luck the rest of the way USU. Fans of lesser in-state teams could learn a lot from you.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 9:23 p.m.

Tough to win when the refs call 17 on your team and only 9 on the other

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Nov. 30, 2013 9:27 p.m.

The most well balanced game so far this season for BYU. Only 7 turnovers - now just need to improve on the free throw percentage. Bartley is going to be a stud.

• mlmsteve Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 9:28 p.m.

Glad we won tonight but respect to Utah State who played a tough game. Glad to see that both fan bases respect each other. Good classy rivalry.

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 9:35 p.m.

That was a great game for two tournament bound teams (a bit early, I know). It is nice to have the Utah schools playing some good basketball at this point in the season.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 30, 2013 9:34 p.m.

This is what college basketball is all about.

Great game, and fan support.

• Cool Cat Cosmo Payson, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 9:37 p.m.

@ Chris

Yeah, you're right...yet earlier today, BYU's Football Team managed to do just that, with 14 penalties for 142 yards versus 4 for 25.

Either way, I felt like both teams played an honorable and respectful game. It will be great to see the Aggies on the court, field, etc. over the next several years. I'm just glad that both these teams respect each other enough to schedule each other on a year to year basis; best of luck Aggies the rest of this season!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 30, 2013 9:39 p.m.

If not for the experience of playing Texas, Wichita State, and Iowa State,-- BYU may have lost this game.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 9:51 p.m.

mlmsteve, you're mistaken if you think utah state fans respect your fan base. They think about byu exactly what Utah fans think about byu. You clearly have never been to a game in the spectrum when they're playing byu. They deliver an "extra special spectrum experience" for byu and their fans, and its not respect that drives that extra special experience

You think Utah state fans respect byu? Go watch the next game at the Spectrum. They agree with the Utes about you guys

• Cougarista Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 10:06 p.m.

Tough to win when the "refs call 17 on your team and only 9 on the other?" It's even tougher to win when the other team out plays and out scores your team 46-30 in the second half.
    Two good teams with superior coaches, two good fan bases and a very good win for BYU over a tough USU team that will make waves in the MW.

• 93 COUGAR Orem, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 10:07 p.m.

Hey Chris thanks for coming by. Wasn't it great to see two real teams play each other and actually have some good competition? Since the Cougar are something like 11 out of the last 12 against Utah, that isn't much of a rivalry anymore so it is nice to have the Aggies around for some close games.

Nice to have an in state rival.

It is so great to have a post season in both basketball and football.

Great time to be a BYU fan! Go Cougars!

• CG Orem, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 10:12 p.m.

Another NCAA tournament resume-building game for BYU. The Aggies are a good that will challenge for one of the top 3 spots in the MWC.

christy is simply jealous that her team is yet to play an opponent with a pulse.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 10:16 p.m.

Chris B:
    Always coming in with the hate. Great game Aggies and whether you respect us or not (I can assure you Stew and the boys respect BYU) we respect you and your program. Two great teams that will carry the state of Utah in the tournament.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 10:30 p.m.

Chris,
    Come back when incoming freshmen at Utah or Utah State come close to the average ACT scores of incoming BYU freshmen. That's the legitimate competition among universities. If there's hate, it's an understandable measure of envy.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 30, 2013 10:33 p.m.

Two things chris:

1) A nugget of knowledge for you... When a team is behind and the game is fairly close, they have to put more pressure on the ball, be more physical on the boards, and generally take more risks... That usually means more fouls (losing teams will normally have more fouls than the winning teams)... BYU has not been all that consistent at the line lately and so aggressive play and more fouls is probably a good strategy...

During the game, I heard several comments by others watching, that the officiating was a breath of fresh air... Particularly in Comparison to the Stanford game... They let the Players decide the game, whereas pac12 officials blow their whistle too much thinking the fans come to watch them perform instead of the players.

2) As far as relationships between fan bases? I doubt very seriously that Aggie fans agree with your comments... In fact, most utefans don't... But generally speaking, the Aggie fans are a classy group, regardless of how they feel about Coug Fans.

BYU is viewed by some much the same as the NY Yankees... They're very good in most all sports and People like underdogs.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 10:37 p.m.

Chris, you don't speak for Utes fans at all, so stop pretending to.

I wasn't sure about BYU being anymore improved this season over last, with the loss of Davies and bringing in so many new players. Turns out the new guys have fit into their plans pretty well, and Collinsworth hasn't missed a beat. I think the Utes are also improved over last year, but BYU looks to be a little bigger test for them than I anticipated. Hoping for a game the quality of this one in the Huntsman, but with a Cougs loss! Good luck until then.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 30, 2013 10:38 p.m.

If I had a son who was an instate Utah recruit... These are the two programs I would like him to play for... Both Rose and Morrill are two classy guys with good attitudes and both are excellent roll models... And I would want him living in either Provo or Logan...

• relientk Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 10:39 p.m.

Fans from teams outside of BYU-USU just can't get enough of this game it looks like.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 10:44 p.m.

poyman, just wondering, do you know Larry Krystkowiak at all, or do you just not like the jerseys that his players wear?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 30, 2013 10:50 p.m.

It would be great if the cougs, and utes would never play each other in any sport for now on.

• Ironmomo Ogden, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 11:07 p.m.

Attended the game at ESA and really enjoyed it; even though my Aggies didn't win. They got out hustled and out muscled down the stretch. Congrats to the Cougars for the win and good luck with the rest of your season. I believe the Cougars will thoroughly waste the Utes in 2 weeks at the HC.

Wish the Utes weren't afraid to play the Aggies. I like the in-state games.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 11:08 p.m.

I do like coach Crisco even though I'm a BYU fan. I think Utah will actually have a pretty good team this year, and certainly seem to be going in the right direction. The problem is guys like Chrissy make it hard to cheer for them...too bad they all aren't like you, StGSLC.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 11:18 p.m.

@stg

krystkowiak seems to be a good enough guy but there is no way I would want my son to be associated with the utah "fan"base nor would I want him to live in slc. Neither are good influences.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 11:24 p.m.

BYU is clearly the most athletic team in the state, and it isn't even close. They simply run teams into the ground and they have a lot of athletes to do it with. What and exciting brand of basketball they play as well, that second half is exactly the kind of basketball I enjoy watching.

It remains to be seen if they can keep it up all season but it is going to be a lot of fun to watch them try. The guards are as deep and athletic as I have ever seen, they can score in bunches and when they run that way there are options all over the floor.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 30, 2013 11:55 p.m.

@stgtoslc,

No, don't know Larry... Don't care about the jerseys... but I do know a little about the Athletic Dept, Hill, many of the ute fans and the general environment of the school on the hill...

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 12:01 a.m.

Duckhunter, some day if you take a step back you'll realize the fanbases really aren't that far apart, just that the bad apples in each are usually a different type of bad influence. Oddly enough, one of the most belligerent drunks I know is a BYU fan from Utah Valley. I'd expect any kid of mine to be able to know right from wrong and make his own decision on where to go to school and what to be involved with that will be best for him. After almost following several of my friends in going to BYU, I chose to go to Salt Lake, ended up with a great degree and have a good career despite your perceived "influences" that surrounded me for 3 years.

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 12:06 a.m.

Ironmomo
    Ogden, UT

Wish the Utes weren't afraid to play the Aggies. I like the in-state games. Thayt will never happen because the utes can,t and won,t play anybody but jr high school teams USU has too much class and talent for the utes they would get creamed ,just they are going to get creamed by BYU.

• Alex H Murray, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 3:07 a.m.

Any excuse to discredit a Cougar win right Christ B? I wonder what sort of garbage your going to post on this feed come December 14th when BYU once again embarrasses the Utes at the Huntsman Center. I guess whatever makes you sleep better at night. GREAT win for BYU.

• Chris B's psychiatrist Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 1, 2013 3:27 a.m.

Regarding the foul discrepancy in the USU-BYU game, five fouls were called against USU towards the end of the game when USU was fouling to get the ball back. Remove those five, and the foul difference is 12-9. Great effort by both teams.

On a different topic, I do not understand why Utah would schedule the likes of Grand Canyon University, Lamar, Savannah State, et al., and not schedule a quality program like USU. Instead of those three, Utah could upgrade their schedule with USU, Weber State and UVU.

• BYU9293 Clinton, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 6:18 a.m.

Hey Chris B,
    What happened, where are you? Ah, nothing to say? Great game, Utah State looked really good in the first half, but I think conditioning was the difference, they look like they just got tired down the stretch. Bartley was a huge difference maker...this kid can really play. Very solid win. Oh, and by the way, there will be many tournament teams that would lose to 3 of those 4 teams...in fact, your Utes would lose to all of them and the funniest part is that you know its true.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Dec. 1, 2013 6:44 a.m.

BYU's resume is looking great. If they are on the bubble come the end of the season, they are in, in part to wins like this. Add that to stellar wins to Stanford and Texas this BYU team is solid.

Glad to put USU behind. I will admit some of their cheers were pretty immature, especially at the end when they were getting desperate for material. Nice how "scoreboard" always shuts up obnoxious fans.

Utah will also suffer the same fate. Can't wait.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 6:43 a.m.

Been to Logan for a game, great fans, they get on you case if a visitor. Cheer for their team have fun and make noise. Love the chair seats for everyone in the place. Take a hint BYU when remodeling the Marriott Center. Chair seats are more comfortable for us older guys, who pay full price to the games.

• IA Cougar West Des Moines, IA
    Dec. 1, 2013 7:22 a.m.

I love playing Utah State. Their fans are avid supporters of Utah State and some are haters for sure. So much so that the last game played in Logan, Utah State's President issued BYU an apology for the behavior of their fans, particularly the way they showed disrespect for Brandon Davies. But that is the work of a few fans, not all of them. The home court advantage at Utah State is enormous and that is something I love about the Aggies. BYU also possesses a fabulous home court advantage because their student section (ROC) shows up as well. Utah, on the other hand, has no crowd showing up. When they start beating opponents with a pulse, perhaps the crowd will show and the phoenix will rise again. Utah has had a great crowd but not for many, many years. I'm hopeful that all four teams in Utah will have great seasons. It makes these games so much more interesting to watch. Utah State has a super team. I wish them well all year long.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 1, 2013 7:59 a.m.

What a great game. Even though I wasn't able to attend, I loved watching it on BYUtv. I wish I could have been at ESA for this one. I could tell the energy was high and the fans were load.

This was definitely the best game the Cougs have played this year. With a young and talented team, they will continue to get better as the year progresses. A few Cougs still need to work on their free throws, which could make a difference in a few games this year.

I had no idea Bartley would contribute like he has and Halford was the spark we needed.

I'm happy so many Ute fans watched the game, and continue to comment of every BYU article. I'm sure U haven't gotten a lot of satisfaction watching the Utes beat up on Evergreen and Savannah this year.

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 8:12 a.m.

@Ironmomo
    I wish I could give your comment 1000 likes. It was a great game to watch. USU is awesome. How refreshing to play an in-state school with class and a very good basketball team. These are the kind of games teams need to play to get ready for their conference season and March madness. Go Cougars!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Dec. 1, 2013 8:13 a.m.

I've never understood why two sport teams can't play without contention between the fans.

I have an OU tee-shirt I can't wear without glares, and comments. I'm not an OU fan, but the people here in Texas take offense to it.

Can't imagine going to a ute, cowboy, or aggie game with a BYU tee-shirt. Yikes!

Try a Notre Dame game! It's a royal carpet treatment. Air Force is also very good.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 8:21 a.m.

Great game last night, loved the electricity at ESA. Hope this becomes a tradition.

The Cougars are coming together. I can only imagine what this team is going to be like later this season, next year, the year after, and so on. Once this new missionary cycle is worked out the stream of players in queue is just going to be fantastic.

And isn't BYUtv great or what?

That's what I'm talking about!

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 8:21 a.m.

Watched two very different styles of play last night. The Aggies spent time setting up the offense and made the extra couple of passes to get where they wanted to take a shot. The Cougars on the other hand immediately drove and attacked the rim. It wasn't until they had a comfortable lead at the end that the Cougars spread the offense and passed to take time off the clock.

I can appreciate both styles. Really do hate to lose to the Y and I still believe that these teams are closer than the ending score indicates. Good game Cougs.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 8:23 a.m.

Chris

7 in a row.

11 of the past 12.

12-3 since Dave Rose took over.

Onward and Upward!

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Dec. 1, 2013 8:27 a.m.

I bet the U of U marketing/community relations, and sports department just "love" Chris B as the one man wrecking crew of all they work they do to give a positive perception of the U of U. I bet he does more to hurt the U's sports program than anyone else.

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 8:45 a.m.

I personally several people who were u fans (die hard) and in the past few years have become so disappointed with the u fan base. They cannot take their kids to a game due to the examples that surround them. They sold their season tickets and are slowly becoming BYU fans. Very strange to me due to the fact that they both are grads from the u.

Good game last night Cougs. A good watch and nice to play a good rival like USU.
    I grew up a big Aggies fan and still pull for then when they are not playing my Cougs. As far as the u goes, I think some of their players are nice guys, but can't stand their fan base and their attitude.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 9:25 a.m.

"Tough to win when the refs call 17 on your team and only 9 on the other"

Anyone who watched the game and knows anything about basketball would see the reason for the disparity in fouls was primarily due to two factors: 1) BYU was driving the lane and attacking the basket while USU was primarily settling for outside jump shots, and 2) USU was trailing down the stretch and had to commit several intentional fouls to get the ball back. Unfortunately, they were all committed against Tyler Haws who is virtually automatic at the FT line.

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Dec. 1, 2013 10:15 a.m.

Great win Cougs over a really good Utah State team. Utah St. should contend for the Mountain West Conference title. It would not surprise me to see them in the NCAA Tournament and any team that plays them will have a tough time against them.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Dec. 1, 2013 10:55 a.m.

Great game, the Aggies looked tired near the end and if their shooting hadn't cooled off they very likely would have beaten BYU. Hard to tell how much of the Aggie letdown was due to BYU playing more intensely but at least some of it is due to an increased effort.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 11:41 a.m.

IT was a close game, but Byu definitely deserved the win. Both teams will go far this year.

• SaltyDog Rexburg, ID
    Dec. 1, 2013 12:32 p.m.

Solid win! Now if Carlino wouldn't shoot so many hurried 3-pointers, then i think they'd be even better. The one X-factor to get this team far is Bartley; if he can be that go-to-guy as the sixth man, then they have a great shot to get in the tournament. Lookin' forward to it!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 12:36 p.m.

Striker,

You think beating Texas and Stanford are "stellar" wins?

Lol!

Stanford is a very average PAC 12 team, picked 6 in the PAC 12

Texas is a below average big 12 team, picked 8 of 10, so bottom 25% of that conference.

What exactly makes those "stellar" wins?

Lol!

• LouisD Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 1, 2013 1:10 p.m.

If USU had not committed 6 of 17 fouls in the last 4 minutes in an attempt to slow the clock and stretch the game at the FT line, ChrisB might have a point. But until the 36 minute point, the fouls were fairly close (11 to 8)...and fairly clean both ways.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Dec. 1, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Give Chris B. some credit, we don't know how good Texas and Stanford are yet, but Utah has been picked (in football and basketball) to finish near the bottom of the PAC in each of their seasons in the PAC, and where did they finish? You guessed it--the bottom of the PAC--evidence that preseason polls sometimes get things right.

Having seen Texas and Stanford play I think they are both good teams and seriously doubt that Texas will finish on the bottom half of a good Big 12. I'm surprised Chris B. hasn't brought up RPI... that's all he could talk about at the end of last season. I wonder what the RPI of the teams BYU has beat so far is...

• LouisD Las Vegas, NV
    Dec. 1, 2013 1:23 p.m.

"What makes wins over Stanford and Texas so great ChrisB? Well for one thing, those were on the road and more important, they aren't lame teams like Lamar, Savannah State, Grand Canyon University and the mighty power, Evergreen. I suppose Stanford being represented by a Sequoia Semperverins is also am Evergreen, but BYU still beat them in Palo Alto...they didn't actually play a real tree like Utah. I get that Evergreen was tall but it isn't a Triffid. Let BYU know when Utah plays a real opponent. 😎

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Dec. 1, 2013 1:29 p.m.

I just looked up RPI

#1 UMass (who we play later this week)
    #11 BYU
    #33 USU
    #53 Texas
    #86 Stanford
    #154 Utah

So BYU already has three top 100 RPI wins. Utah's three best wins? #150 Ball State, #292 Lamar, and #302 UC Davis.

• wazzup Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 1:49 p.m.

@ Chris. Man of the additional fouls came when USU had to foul at the end. At least be informed when you make excuses.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Dec. 1, 2013 1:54 p.m.

So Chris B. is that your planned excuse after the BYU/utah game? The number of fouls called, and the difference being what, 8?

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 1:59 p.m.

It is quite humorous when Chris tries to be the self appointed spokesman for the Utes. It's downed hilarious that he is now trying to do the same thing for the Aggies. Enough so that he even has to "LOL" (laugh) at himself.

After reading these comments from both USU and BYU fans, it's obvious there is more negativity from Chris B than all the other commenters combined. In fact, as of right now, there is not a single "like" on any of his several comments.

Take the hint, Chris, and keep your negative attitude and anti-BYU hatred to yourself. Then you would be welcomed if you would come back online with something positive and meaningful to add to the dialog.

• wYo8 Rock Springs, WY
    Dec. 1, 2013 2:11 p.m.

StG toslc,
    BYU fans come in all shapes, forms and even non LDS.. There may be drunks at the stadium. I'm still waiting to encounter the first one. But if I do and they need to be escorted from the stadium I will be the first to call security. Will you be willing to do the same up at res.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 1, 2013 2:17 p.m.

Hey Chris, good to see you back on the thread... The following puts it all in perspective:

TEXAS 7-1, so far this season (it's only loss is to BYU)... They were voted to finish 7th this year in the B12... They are currently #41 on the RPI with a #89 SOS... good wins over Mercer (NIT 2013); and DePaul (usually a pretty good team).

STANFORD 5-2, Losses to BYU and Pitt, voted to finish 6th in the big bad pac12... They are currently #75 on RPI with a #83 SOS... Good wins over Northwestern, Denver (strong team last year), and Houston.

BYU 5-2, Losses to Iowa State (nationally ranked #17) and Wichita State (nationally ranked #12)... Voted to finish 2nd in the WCC... Currently #9 on the RPI with #5 SOS... Very good wins over Stanford (@Stanford), Texas (@Neutral Court), and Utah State ( 5-1 with RPI #33 and #65 SOS).

utah... 6-0 with wins over Evergreen State College (NAIA school and no RPI), UC Davis (RPI 295), Grand Canyon (RPI #226), Lamar (RPI #301, currently 1-7), Savanah State (RPI #345) and Ball State (RPI #160)... THE UTES RPI IS #166 and SOS is #348... ouch...

Only 351 teams are eligible for the NCAA Tourney.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 2:47 p.m.

Wiscougarfan, other interesting RPI notes: #101 Duke, #13 Dayton, #27 Bryant, #29 Louisiana Tech (no, Karl Malone and Paul Millsap aren't playing). There are plenty of others. Way too early in the season for RPI to mean anything at all. It'll be late January before any of that starts to have much significance.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 1, 2013 3:32 p.m.

Only 351 teams are measured for the NCAA Tourney... Ouch.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 4:20 p.m.

wyo, I'm not afraid to call anyone's behavior into question, but thank you for your concern. Interestingly, the majority of my comments that get rejected here are responses to Chris B. I guess since I don't use name-calling and belittling of a team's players in them like the responses to him that get posted, they don't pass as civil dialogue. But I can't say I never tried.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Dec. 1, 2013 4:23 p.m.

stgtoslac,

what you say is probably true for untested teams like the utes (I suspect that their RPI will slip considerably over the next 35 to 45 days). But for those teams who have been playing tough opponents with high RPIs I believe the measurement is fairly accurate.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Dec. 1, 2013 6:20 p.m.

@StGtoSLC - thanks for your comments. I appreciate your objective banter, unlike another ute commenter who has no objectivity.

The easiest way to get into the NCAA is to win your conference championship. Non-conference games are intended to get the team ready for conference play. I'm not saying that Utah should add Kentucky, Kansas and Duke to the non-conference slate, but adding a couple of games against teams like USU, Weber, UVU, Wyoming or Colorado St would help the Utes improve and could lead to an additional win or two in conference play, even if it results in an extra loss or two in non-conference. Nobody (still) has a clue how good or bad Utah is.

Playing Wichita and Iowa St helped the Cougs improve, even with losses. A month ago, I was ready to concede the WCC to the Zags, but seeing the Cougs improve, I think they can compete with anyone.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 6:34 p.m.

Nice to see two great local programs who aren't afraid to play each other, even at each others place. Home home ESA is a great way to go. The fan bases of these two programs deserve the good things that are happening in their programs. Good luck aggies and cougars the rest of the way.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Dec. 1, 2013 6:55 p.m.

Wish Directv and BYUtv could work things out in HD. What a great game in a college setting with two fan bases that were well represented. USU fans had some great cheers during free throws and other game moments. I'm glad both schools decided on doing the right thing.

The other school in the state football team performed at halftime "It's good to be home for the holidays" Very touching indeed.

• byufanman west valley city, utah
    Dec. 1, 2013 7:14 p.m.

@ poyman,
    Thanks for the stats! I appreciat your comments, and good luck to the Aggies for the rest of the season.

Go Cougs!!!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 8:46 p.m.

CFiT, for tournament-ready or borderline ready teams, I definitely agree with you. The fact is, Utah hasn't been that great for several years. Realistically, I think it will take the team making the NIT before they schedule a competitive nonconference slate to attempt to make a statement for an at large berth. Hopefully that will be this year, because next year will be the only year Wright, Loveridge and Chapman will all be on the same team, and Loveridge and Chapman will only have one additional year as front court mates after that. Hence, I'm thinking this year and next will be crucial to Utah's recruiting and future positioning in the conference with the coaching staff as it is.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Dec. 2, 2013 11:11 a.m.

Nice job Cougars!! Great win, great composure. Love what Collingsworth and Bartley bring to the game. Solid! Left handed running dunk anyone?! Awesome.

USU had zero answers for the Y's guard play. Drive at will.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 2, 2013 1:42 p.m.

Good game to both teams. Glad BYU won. I would just as soon cheer for Utah State when they are not playing BYU if it wasn't for certain of their cans that have an irrational hatred for BYU. I actually quite like Utah State though, and assume most of their fans are alright other than the vocal BYU haters.

• FanofBYU American Fork, UT
    Dec. 2, 2013 6:05 p.m.

What a great game. Definitely had more of a March playoff game as opposed to a Preseason game. Wishing both teams success this season.