Utah

Josh Romney first on scene of crash, takes media heat for posting photo

Comments

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 3:31 p.m.

Whats all the fuss. One thing for sure if it would have been Obama there would have been a teleprompter set up.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 3:34 p.m.

Nice to see the good neighbor, Josh Romney, responding quickly to this crash. I'm glad he posted the photo and the remarks. The lame-stream media wouldn't have, for sure!

• David Centerville, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 3:38 p.m.

Nothing here to see people. Keep on moving.

This is a non-story, other than Josh was there and willing to help the victims out of the car after making sure they were ok. I can't understand the criticism towards him.

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    Nov. 29, 2013 3:51 p.m.

Mohokat says "What's all the fuss. One thing for sure if it would have been Obama there would have been a teleprompter set up." I would add that his press people would be blaming Republicans and saying Fox News was responsible.

• Terrie Bittner Warminster, PA
    Nov. 29, 2013 4:00 p.m.

Romney did exercise poor decision-making skills here and coming from a political dynasty, he ought to know better. I'm sure he won't make the mistake again. What concerns me even more, though, are the comments here. The story was about Romney, not the president. One thing I learn at church (I'm LDS) is that everyone is a child of God and deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. That means there is no real excuse for making a mean-spirited comment about someone who isn't even a part of this story. I'm so glad I choose not to support a political party. It's our country--not a high school football rivalry.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 4:02 p.m.

Gimme a break!
    He did a good thing. Why not tweet it?

• Reflectere Utah, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 4:17 p.m.

I feel that the photo was extremely inappropriate and immature - and yes, quite frankly, self-serving for one inserting himself into the public image.

• Riverton Cougar Riverton, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 4:38 p.m.

Oh no! An attempt to make the Romney family look good! We must squash this at all costs!

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 4:44 p.m.

Seems pretty obvious the photo was taken well after everyone was safe. Can any of us say we wouldn't have taken pictures and posted if in the same situation? It was a very unusual thing to have happen and people tweet & post such things. No big deal!

• Phillip M Hotchkiss Malta, Mt
    Nov. 29, 2013 4:46 p.m.

CNN is criticizing him for smiling in front of the accident, saying he is showboating. Maybe he is smiling because he was able to help,and no one was beyond help

• Utah Native Farmington, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 4:47 p.m.

Ignore the mean reaction from the media, Josh. Good work, and thanks for setting an example by these folks out!

• Captain Green Heber City, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 4:50 p.m.

Good for Josh... and to heck with the critics!

• Mom of 8 Hyrum, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 5:07 p.m.

Yes, this was a bit tasteless on Romney's part. My social media feeds are full of bragamonies that are embarrassing enough that I hide those friends after a third offense.

And smiling for the picture--smiling? at someone's devastation?--was also immature.

But to make a big deal of this? Sigh.

Just "hide" him and be on your way.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 5:32 p.m.

You can tell by those negative remarks were those who are Demacrats. Good job Josh and I like your smiles which I can see he felt good helping those people!

• rfpeterlin Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 5:50 p.m.

Applaud the man for his civic duty ... but come on with the Glamour Shot! This man lives too public of a life to pass up a photo op. One has to question the motives behind posting pics?

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Nov. 29, 2013 6:24 p.m.

Great work to help out. No doubt about that. But it was poor judgement and poor taste to post the photo. He really walked right into this one.

• sanpaco Sandy, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 6:54 p.m.

If he wasn't related to Mitt, no one would care.

• gittalopctbi Glendale, AZ
    Nov. 29, 2013 7:04 p.m.

Interesting to note that of posting this comment, all the comments criticizing him for "showboating," etc. have no likes.

No one was hurt, this was after the accident, who cares? It's only a story because of his last name and some people in the media and who read the media who like to criticize at any opportunity.

• Kelliebelle66 West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 7:06 p.m.

If anyone else had posted this shot nobody would be saying anything because only our friends and family follow us on twitter. If I had been involved in this type of rescue I would have been calling and texting my family because it would have been an exciting unexpected thing. It wouldn't mean that I was trying to get off on other people's misfortunes. It's just human nature to say, "Hey, guess what weird thing happened in my day?" The difference with Romney is he is a public figure and has a lot of followers on his twitter account. Naturally the media would pick up on this and people from opposing political sides are always on the look out for things they can use and twist to make someone look bad. Just because he is a more public figure does that make him a bad person for doing what most people would naturally do when something out of the ordinary happens? It's like when Dukakis got in that tank with a helmet on and looked kind of silly, that photo went viral. I guess both of these examples have the media in common.

• El Chango Supremo Rexburg, ID
    Nov. 29, 2013 7:14 p.m.

Non-Story!!

• Serenity Manti, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 7:40 p.m.

Good for Josh. If I had pulled four people out of a wrecked car, I'd be elated. No wonder he is smiling! That crushed car could have been vehicle of death or injury, but instead Josh had the chance to pull all four to safety! Then the idiotic media criticizes him for sharing his joy. This is the true unbiased reporting so typical of the liberal media. At least they are consistent with their story twisting.

• Back Talk Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 29, 2013 8:04 p.m.

At least the picture was posted after the people had been gotten out of the car.

This is more an example of people who are so obsessed with posting every element of their lives on the internet. And instantly at that.

People who want to criticise will do so and people who are inclinded to praise him will do that as well. I could do without the whole news item.

• K Mchenry, IL
    Nov. 29, 2013 8:31 p.m.

Someone also had to take the picture.

What I can't understand is taking family photos of smiling people at funerals. Knowing that happens makes understanding a person smiling in front of a wreck and documenting it understandable. He isn't a emergency responder. How would he know proper etiquette? Fortunately everyone was fine. If someone wasn't fine it would be an issue.

• E.S Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 8:47 p.m.

ThomasJefferson, "society" does not create people, "people" creates "society"....everything starts with one person, not a million.

• Heidi T. Farmington, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 9:22 p.m.

"know better"? Maybe he sees himself as just another good neighbor and wanted to share with friends on social media. Pretty normal guy as far as I can see.

• mominthetrenches South Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 29, 2013 9:28 p.m.

Social media IS used for self-gratification! To all of you with the smug comments, guess what! Anyone who uses social media, even just a teeny-tiny bit would have done the same thing (yes, Republicans and Democrats or Independent parties alike...)!!! At minimum, for your families and close friends, admit it!!! I do think it was a bit goofy with the situation, but at the same time, it shows me that he's just like the rest of us. In his defense, I would much rather see this kind of post anyday, than all the selfies that pop-up on my computer, unsolicited, of scantily clad Kim Kardashian, Miley Cyrus and Lindsey Lohan! I love seeing people helping people!!! C'mon, relax, people, he earned the gold star on his forehead yesterday, or at least the "Like" status from me on this one!

• ulvegaard Medical Lake, Washington
    Nov. 29, 2013 9:32 p.m.

Perhaps it is unkind to bring the President into this topic with critical remarks --- fortunately, however, we still have the right to be critical of our national leaders. But I suspect that, along with other freedoms and rights are beginning to dwindle and expire.

It is also unfortunate that the comments made about the president and his minions here, while clever and funny, they are also too close to the truth.

• justamacguy Manti, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 10:02 p.m.

If I helped everyone get out of the car unharmed, I'd smile too. DUH to all those that have a problem with it.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Nov. 29, 2013 10:14 p.m.

You know we've gone around the bend on partisanship when something like this gets dissected and turned into front page news. Just be glad people stopped to help this family, including Josh.

• Utefan60 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 10:31 p.m.

It was great and the reason he was smiling was that no one was seriously injured. Congrats! If this had been a deadly accident I'm sure he would not have been smiling.

• John Locke Ivins, , UT
    Nov. 29, 2013 11:14 p.m.

He isn't even running for office and they're already spinning the story. He was most likely smiling because the folks in the crash were unharmed and he was able to help. We need more like him. Hope he does run for office.

• Archie1954 Vancouver, BC
    Nov. 29, 2013 11:38 p.m.

Surely everyone knows why he was smiling. It was because there were no serious injuries. Anyone would smile in such a situation.

• hanfrina Buffalo, NY
    Nov. 29, 2013 11:58 p.m.

... A humble person would have done the same thing & been on their way without taking a photo or posting it.

• Mrs TAP Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 6:03 a.m.

First thing I would have done it snap a photo for Facebook, myself! And, yes, after such a harrowing adventure, I would be smiling that it was over with, and everybody was okay. Did y'all expect him to be crying in the picture? I'll bet similar things have happened all over the place with no hoopla or backlash.

I say, "Well done, Josh! And thanks for the great photo; it showed the actual accident much better than the ones I had seen the media post! I was happy to see it appear on Facebook last night."

• BU52 Provo, ut
    Nov. 30, 2013 7:27 a.m.

What about the accident? Were they drunk, did the SUV malfunction? Whose house got destroyed? The tweet is an insignificant thing but that's all the media can focus on? No wonder I seldom tune into anything that calls itself news anymore.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Nov. 30, 2013 8:05 a.m.

Mere partisan ranting.

It was a good thing. The picture does not detract from a good act.

Get over it.

• Kirk R Graves West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 8:49 a.m.

No good deed goes unpunished.

• Schwa South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 9:27 a.m.

Always time for a photo op. Look at me! I'm a hero!

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 10:14 a.m.

Josh,
    With your last name, the supine left wing press will stop at nothing to justify their support of Mr. Obama by criticizing everything a Romney does. Perhaps they are trying to counter recent polls which show that Romney would win the presidential election if it were held today.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 11:25 a.m.

did any one notice Obamas postings. visit to the hunger strike people, couldn't get a picture if he didn't want it posted. Presidents always post their good deeds, they always have the press there to post them. Amazing the negative posts. Could it be they hate him because his last name is Romney.

• Pagan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 11:57 a.m.

Just like his father…

looking to capitalize on someone else's disaster to make him look good.

• Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 1:09 p.m.

He was totally not making himself look good to support his alleged political aspirations.

He's different than other people who desire to go into politics. Leave him alone.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 1:15 p.m.

@pagan nice to see you feel the same about Obama, never let a crisis go to waste.

• petuniababi ,
    Nov. 30, 2013 1:20 p.m.

Just want to ask,why was the president's named mentioned in some of the comments? The election is over.please move right along.Good thing that this young man did.

• Terrie Bittner Warminster, PA
    Nov. 30, 2013 4:57 p.m.

I'm curious at all the people saying it was okay for him to pose smiling because no one was hurt. A family had its home destroyed--for the second time and just before Christmas. Their home insurance is going to go through the roof this time, creating a strain for them. A man had a seizure while driving, which will likely change his life because he will lose the right to drive. All involved will be involved in legal issues for some time to come.

It looks to me like people were hurt--maybe not bodily, but without question, hurt. It's not a laughing matter, and he came across as being unaware of the trauma this will bring. From what I've heard of his father, Mitt Romney would have been running around with a broom cleaning things up, not posing with a smile. That's why it matters. It's unimportant what party he belongs to. It's just a matter of being able to see the situation from the point of view of the participants.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 5:54 p.m.

That Josh Romney actually did something good for common people is commendable, and is more than usually happens with the Romney family. That he then posted a self-aggrandizing photo and message is deplorable, and is sadly and typically Romney.

Ad, for the record for those who want to bring party affiliation an party politics in to this discussion, I'm a mainstream (classically conservative) Republican.

• Clydesdale Tooele, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 7:19 p.m.

JFK's son was always pulling stunts like this to make himself look like a hero.

• PLM Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 30, 2013 11:36 p.m.

Josh was probably smiling because everyone got out of the car safely and because the whole thing was so bizarre, something like a nervous laugh? If I had been in that situation, I'd be glad someone like Mr. Romney stopped to assist. Mitt and Ann should be proud of their son. Come on folks, give him a break and a pat on the back.

• Wixom Bountiful, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 7:38 a.m.

Good for Josh for immediately jumping in to help. Adrenalin, knowing everyone was safe and probably mostly just the singularity of the situation were probably reasons for him smiling and snapping a picture. Does that seem odd? I think many would do the same. The Romneys are great people - like many others.

• riverofsun St.George, Utah
    Dec. 1, 2013 8:50 a.m.

Those humble people who spend their lives(no matter if they are billionaires or not), want no attention or credit for their good deeds. They kindly, quietly do what they feel will help and anonymously, disappear.
    Those usually are the people the rest of us work throughout our lives to emulate

• Florida Boy Melbourne/USA, FL
    Dec. 1, 2013 11:00 a.m.

Bad form Josh Romney. Using this event as a photo-op and self-promotional tool was extremely unbecoming to someone who has aspirations to run for political office in Utah. You displayed poor decision-making skills, showed a lack of sound judgment and maturity, and proved to many that you are not ready for public office. Exercising bad form this early in your run for office is certainly a red flag.

Utah is already overflowing with politicians who thrive on big egos and self-promotion. Why don't you enter the race with a different game plan? It didn't work for your father, so what makes you think it will work for you?

• Most Truthful and Patriotic Layton, UT
    Dec. 1, 2013 1:13 p.m.

Follow the words of Jesus Christ

"Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them.... When you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly "

• liz Littleton, CO
    Dec. 1, 2013 2:51 p.m.

Seems a fairly typical thing that people do when there are not fatalities or injured. Everyone likes pictures and of course there are the nay-sayers who have to make a negative thing out of this. Gee, how senseless just because he is a Romney.

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    Dec. 2, 2013 7:32 a.m.

Oh no, not a 2nd generation daddies boy seeking fame and an office.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Dec. 2, 2013 7:50 a.m.

Oh no. He smiled when the photo was taken. Only dumb people would object to someone smiling at an accident scene. Maybe if he looked appropriately glum people wouldn't say the bad things that they are saying. Or maybe the same people would be griping anyway, like Reflectere.

This is a total who cares situation. Josh, tweet away.

• athought Salt Lake City, UT
    Dec. 2, 2013 1:32 p.m.

Same thing happened with me. On my way to work someone had been hit by a car and I stopped to help out. Ended up laying on the ground with the victim until medical arrived. I posted on facebook and had positive comments from friends. However -- I'm a nobody so no one else cared, which I'm sure was Josh's attitude when posting. Funny how when you have a name, you're life is an open book for anyone who is looking to trash it because they don't have it. And those who are trashing his post are probably just like all of those who drove by as I was laying on the ground with that poor boy who was scared to death. Wonder, really, how many of them would have stopped to assist.

• kargirl Sacramento, CA
    Dec. 2, 2013 8:08 p.m.

Okay, good for him to help, but it says in the Scriptures not to brag. The photo is understandable, but not with the self-portrait--had someone else taken it, however, for instance, one of the people he pulled out, it would have been a nice thank-you. But, as a note here, it's not a great move to brag on oneself when one's family is known all over most of the globe, or, for that matter, most of the country, hermits excluded.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 4:51 a.m.

@Most Truthful and Patriotic 1:13 p.m. Dec. 1, 2013

Follow the words of Jesus Christ

--------------------------

Matthew 6:1-4. That's the exact scripture that I was thinking of when I posted my comment. Thanks for quoting it exactly.