BYU football: Cougars want to finish regular season strong at Nevada

Comments

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Nov. 24, 2013 2:33 p.m.

BYU has played about as well as they were expected to this season. It has been a good building year and Hill and Co. can gain some momentum going into next season by finishing these last two games strong. I hope the mediocre year hasn't hurt KVN and Hoffman's draft stock--I still see them as first day selections. Maybe Nevada will be Van Noy's Poinsettia bowl this season, I'd love to see him fill the stat sheet.
    BYU 49 Nevada 13
    Go Cougs!

• Dixie Dan Saint George, UT
    Nov. 24, 2013 2:46 p.m.

If the Y keeps recruiting 70% of their players from the Wasatch Front and ignore the other 49 states, they will continue to have trouble matching up against other major D-1 schools. I think the U has discovered this now since they have realized that they don't have too many cupcakes in the Pac 12.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Nov. 24, 2013 4:54 p.m.

RE: Dixie Dan

"If the Y keeps recruiting 70% of their players from the Wasatch Front and ignore the other 49 states, they will continue to have trouble matching up against other major D-1 schools."

2014 BYU Recruiting class (per Scout and Rivals)

From Utah = 2
    From Texas = 3
    From Arizona = 2
    From California = 6
    From North Carolina = 1
    From Kansas = 2

2015 Recruiting... One from CA, one from UT, and one from HI

Is it just me or has the Wasatch front really grown?

• Lets check the facts Albuquerque, NM
    Nov. 24, 2013 5:06 p.m.

Just for fun I checked BYU's roster. 43 of 120 players from the state of Utah. Where did you get your 70%?

• Lets check the facts Albuquerque, NM
    Nov. 24, 2013 5:15 p.m.

I must be bored. I checked UofU's roster. 51 of 120 from the state of Utah.

• Strider303 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 24, 2013 5:19 p.m.

Long time Coougar, can remember Pre-Edwards days. BYU will never be a huge D-1 program, I think that the program is focused on other goals more in line with the School and Church's mission (who underwrite the program).

Playing in a league would be nice to get some order out of the chaos but to really hope to go toe to toe with major programs who have money and recruits to burn, so to speak, and produce ten win seasons is not going to happen.

I think that the program will land in some league or more organized setting in the next five to ten years.

The chances of BYU or UofU going to a BCS bowls game are slim and none, and Slim just rode out of town.

Nevade Reno is no push over, ask Gary Crowton when he flew in to town and left like most people who visit the Biggest Little City, a loser.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 24, 2013 5:39 p.m.

I'm becoming a BYU doubter. I love to cheer them on, but until they can bring the hype and talk to the field, instead of coming out flat, I'll be expecting every season to be a 6 to 9 win season. BYU plays some good teams, but they build their schedule to win at least six to go bowling. Even though the wins don't come as expected (i.e. losing to Virginia but beating Texas).

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Nov. 24, 2013 6:42 p.m.

Last time BYU came into Nevada they went in with half their offense. Should be a better game this time around.

• ex patria cougar Australia, 00
    Nov. 24, 2013 7:09 p.m.

BYU wants "to finish the regular season strong"? Too late for that. Even if BYU wins in Nevada (I expect it to be a little tougher game than Idaho St), that still means BYU went 2-2 in its last 4 games, with the 2 wins coming against progams with losing records.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Nov. 24, 2013 9:29 p.m.

It's too late for a strong finish. BYU failed to show up against 3 of its 4 best teams (Utah, Texas, Wisconsin, ND). Our offense was pathetic vs. quality competition all year and even against mediocre competition (e.g. Virginia). I'm not buying the idea that our boys can't be competitive against the best because of "other priorities" or the Honor Code. If anything, those things should give us competitive advantage. No, it comes down to coaching - a better system and better game-to-game prep would make the difference. The hurry-up keeps our QB from making good reads, and our play calling is boring and predictable (never an Anae strength),

We've got to get rid of Anae. He will never take BYU to the next level.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Nov. 24, 2013 11:16 p.m.

For those who say BYU will never be a big time program, especially if you have been around since pre-Edwards days, you have a short memory.

One year Air Force and BYU were in the Top 10 and playing in Provo late in the season. There was a deal proffered before the game that each team would go to a certain bowl regardless of who won but since BYU was ranked higher (I think they were #4 at the time) than Air Force, AFA wouldn't agree to it. AFA thought they could win and get a much better bowl. As it turned out, AFA lost and didn't get as good of a bowl match-up. When Lavell started I had fellow high school football officials tell me that BYU would never win a conference crown because they had "too many returned missionaries and not enough black players." After I was told that BYU went on a tear with the Holiday Bowl, won many conference crowns in the WAC and MWC, produced a Heisman Trophy Winner and a National Championship. They also needed to expand their stadium.

Doubters and skeptics were wrong in the past and will be again.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 25, 2013 7:36 a.m.

BYU should win this, I wish them luck in the Bowl game!

• BYU9293 Clinton, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 7:46 a.m.

I am pretty sure that finishing strong means winning the last game of the year only. Also, BYU is competitive with the big boys. Wisconsin did not walk over BYU and neither did ND. This is a young team, Hill only a sophomore and a young offensive line and look at the injuries to the cornerbacks before the season even started. I think they did very well with the schedule they had. Also, this was a new offensive system to these players and I think they will get better as they play it more. I think our coaches and players are doing fine, they just need some time. I think the offense will do better next year with Hill more experienced and a more experienced offensive line. I love the direction the program is heading.

• goforit Provo, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 8:00 a.m.

The state of Utah has officially become a soccer state. Soccer is the only sport where a team from Utah is considered top tier in it's sport. RSL regularly competes for a championship. No other sport can even come close to being slightly above average.

Football BYU AND Utah are somewhere between 35 to 50 best programs that puts them better than just 60% percent of the D1 teams.

Basketball the Jazz are the worst, Utah , Utah State and BYU aren't going to be top twenty schools consistently any time soon.

The best of the rest Utah's gymnastics not what they use to be, BYU's men's cross country team never win a championship but are top program.

I take flak because I'm not an expert and the so called experts say different. but I thought Utah would be 5 and 7. I only missed on BYU with the Utah State, Texas and Boise State games so they were a little better than I thought. Yes these are my opinions about things, but I hate to see people get their hopes so high that they are never going to realize, then blame it on inept coaching.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Nov. 25, 2013 8:10 a.m.

RE: eastcoastcoug

"It's too late for a strong finish. BYU failed to show up against 3 of its 4 best teams (Utah, Texas, Wisconsin, ND). Our offense was pathetic vs. quality competition all year and even against mediocre competition (e.g. Virginia)...We've got to get rid of Anae. He will never take BYU to the next level."

I respectfully disagree. At this point last season many fans were calling for Bronco's head because of the anemic offense. We're leagues ahead of last year and Anae deserves some credit for that. I also don't understand how you can say we didn't show up against Utah, ND, and Wisconsin--BYU played well in all three of those games against very good competition. Utah and Wisconsin are both better than their records indicate and Notre Dame is pretty decent as well. Most fans agreed in the preseason that seven or eight wins with this schedule would be expected given most of our key players on offense are underclassmen and we were installing a new offense. This has been an incredibly productive building year transitioning to GFGH and with two more wins the Cougars can call 2013 a success.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    Nov. 25, 2013 9:50 a.m.

The Y should print "Could-a, Would-a, Should-a" on next years t-shirts instead of the honor stuff. All I hear and read are excuses, excuses, excuses. I believe fan comments are ingnored by the team and they continue to wear "rose colored glasses".

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 9:59 a.m.

BYU WILL finish the season ...whether its considered a strong finish is up for debate. The Y has been a decent team this year ...a close team...a competitive team...just not a good team. I think the loses to Wisconsin and ND pretty much spell the year out for the Y ...close but just not quite good enough. Hill is still a year away as a consistent QB. Anyway a letter grade for the year would be a B- I would think.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 10:28 a.m.

I think, for the most part, players not only ignore fans' comments, but don't even read them in the first place. And this behavior is an indication of their wisdom. Most of these comments are born of ignorance, unkindness, or anger and aren't worth reading.

I'll be pleased with an 8-4 season this year. We had a tough schedule and a young team. I think we'll be better next year.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Nov. 25, 2013 10:56 a.m.

"Against Notre Dame, linebacker Uani Unga broke Aaron Francisco’s school record for most tackles in one season with 125. Unga tallied a career-high 19 tackles.
    And safety Craig Bills recorded a career-high 15 tackles."

What happened to the "good run defense"? The D-line and the D coordinator lost the ND game. D-line, because they couldn't wrap up when they had a shot, and D coordinator because he wouldn't pressure the QB on 3rd down, so they converted nearly all of them.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Nov. 25, 2013 11:38 a.m.

@estreet...

But, but........

• islandboy Honolulu, HI
    Nov. 25, 2013 12:08 p.m.

Old cougar, you hit the nail on the head. The cougs lost to tough teams and that's it. Young team that will go 8-4 and will do better next year. Fan comments being ignored by the team? Really?

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    Nov. 25, 2013 12:21 p.m.

This has been a fun team to watch and hoping for a sound victory over Nevada. Win or lose, I am proud to be a fan of this team.

• shorts Payson, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 1:18 p.m.

estreetshuffle
    Window Rock, AZ

I'm pretty sure they are not "rose colored glasses". That would be utah's color. Just saying.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 1:53 p.m.

@ J-TX

"It is telling indeed when one LB plus one Safety have to record 34 tackles in a game."

Just out of curiosity, I checked the stats of N. Suh of Detroit, one of the best d-lineman in the NFL: 9th in tackles on the Lions. #1 - LB, #2 - LB, #3 - S

But they run a 4-3, so I checked the Chiefs who run a 3-4: #1 - LB, #2 - S

Ravens, who run a 3-4? #1 - LB, #2 - LB, #3 - S

Teams pass in the 21st century, so a lot of action happens past the line of scrimmage. Maybe
    Unga and Bills just had great days. It happens.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 25, 2013 2:40 p.m.

J-TX

It's the job of the DL to occupy the OL to free up the LBs and Ss to do the bulk of the tackling.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 25, 2013 3:31 p.m.

Why couldn't they finish strong against Notre Dame? Instead of getting a FG blocked? And stalling every single time in the "Blue" zone? A win against Nevada, really chest thumping material there.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 25, 2013 3:49 p.m.

I really hope Anae keeps calling the dive up the middle for no gain against Nevada it sure is an exciting go hard offensive play.

• Confused Sandy, UT
    Nov. 25, 2013 4:48 p.m.

Let's be honest here.... the reason the offense is bad is because they have no OC with anything that resembles intelligent playing calling.

When they rehired Anae, I stopped watching BYU football for that simple reason, "If it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, it must be a ?????"

When Bronco or the church leadership determines that "Winning" the right way includes actually winning, then I will come back and watch, until then.... well there is always basketball.

• true blue from tx Mckinney, TX
    Nov. 25, 2013 5:19 p.m.

1st and goal!!! How many times does it take to learn that the play calling stinks? Should have won.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Nov. 25, 2013 8:16 p.m.

I seem to remember an article not long ago that said our current quarterback would be the best ever at BYU? I still don't believe it.

• AKFan JUNEAU, AK
    Nov. 25, 2013 8:47 p.m.

One statistic that kept leaping out at me during the Notre Dame game was second and nine. I think over half of the offensive drives saw that down and yardage figure if not more. It took up until the fourth quarter it seemed for Anae to try anything other than running J.W. into the teeth of the ND defense on first down almost every time. When a play doesn't work for three quarters, why would anyone think it is going to start working in the fourth? What ever became of backs catching passes out of the backfield? Second and nine most often leads to third and long, at least this year.

Having said that, this is a young team and Hill will continue to get better. I look forward to seeing this team defeat Nevada and win a bowl game. Given the strength of schedule this year an 8-4 regular season mark is certainly no disaster.

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Nov. 26, 2013 3:51 a.m.

Confused
    Sandy, UT Sports has never been a top priority at BYU and never will be, and winning is not a top priority either so i guess they won,t be be seeing much of you, but i don.t think they really care fair weather fans are are a dime a dozen.