Opinion

My view: The Black Friday strikes are fake

Comments

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 12:43 a.m.

OK, the Center for Union Facts? I got this off of the internet:

The Center for Union Facts is a secretive front group for individuals and industries opposed to union activities. It is part of lobbyist Rick Berman's family of front groups including the Employment Policies Institute. The domain name www.unionfacts.com was registered to Berman & Co. in May 2005.

The Deseret News continues to be a front for these heavily funded (by the super wealthy) organizations whose purpose is to undermine modern liberalism. This is getting really tiresome and your credibility is shredding fast.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 12:55 a.m.

"But as recent history shows, these and other worker centers have failed miserably at drumming up support from actual employees." The reason for that is that if an "actual" employee even says the word "union" they're gone!

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 4:45 a.m.

"Richard Berman is the executive director of the Center for Union Facts..."

This is infuriating. Deseret News, can you please have the decency to identify Mr. Berman for what he actually is - a paid lobbyist for corporations opposed to raising the minimum wage? Mr. Berman is in fact the founder of innumerable industry-funded PR ventures designed to thwart efforts to improve the pay and workplace safety for millions of Americans.

Read the heavily footnoted Wikipedia article about him for Pete's sake.

This is a troubling pattern that has recently emerged in the opinion section of the Deseret News - industry-funded PR firms send you highly spun and deception-laden articles in the guise of "think tank" findings, and you print them without the slightest effort to report who really funded these pieces.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Nov. 22, 2013 7:31 a.m.

"Richard Berman is the executive director of the Center for Union Facts..."

The Deseret News shills and stoops to an even lower low.

• pragmatistferlife salt lake city, utah
    Nov. 22, 2013 8:20 a.m.

You know Blue and Marxist, what is even scarier is if the DN knows exactly who these people are.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Nov. 22, 2013 8:25 a.m.

I'm beginning to seriously wonder about the integrity of this newspaper.

While refecting about all the "My View" article the editors decide to post of the years,
    I can't help but think about how many of them have come from right-wing-paid-lobbyists.

The Coal Industry
    The Oil Industry
    The Gas Industry
    Obama's minimum wage hike bad idea: The Employment Policies Institute
    Obama,

It's like "open mike" night for Special Intrerest Industies in Utah.

Which would be fine I guess,
    IF I saw an equaivalant number of opposing "My Views" such as the enviromental, war, help for the poor, sick, and the needy, etc.

But it would seem Corporations spinning for profit is by far the most prevelant.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 8:32 a.m.

Yup, let's continue to allow businesses to exploit workers so they may pay obscene salaries to executives.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Nov. 22, 2013 9:03 a.m.

If Sam Walton's family was seeing some tough times,
    I could understand holding down wages and not providing benefits.

BUT

When Sam Walton's family is the RICHEST family on the planet,
    and recieve's indirect Government subsidez's to further boost their fortunes via tax payer provided Food Stamps to those they under-employ,
    that's called EXPLOITATION.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 9:07 a.m.

DN tends to act as publicist for a lot of these conservative 'think' tanks, and that certainly seems to be the case here. There's no way I'm going near a walmart on black friday; if it helps to count that as support of the unions, I'm ok with that.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 22, 2013 9:10 a.m.

You guys need to give Walmart a break. They put out food collection bins so people could donate food to help Walmart employees who don't have enough money for food this holiday season. Obviously they care a lot about their employees. Not enough to pay them a decent wage, but enough to beg on their behalf!

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 10:16 a.m.

In a supposed free market, Walmart is paying what the market will bear. No one is forcing people to work at Walmart. People chose to work there. But then the lament is, "Oh they make billions and pay me peanuts." Retail isn't the best of jobs. If people think Walmart is unfair, then they are free to look elswhere. If they choose not to and stay, then it is on them. Anyone is free to apply for any job they want and to work anywhere they are qualified to work. Or they can work to upgrade their skills so they don't have to work at Walmart.

Should Walmart pay better wages? Probably. Should their employees be unionized? If they want. Would it work? Most likely not. Will these fake strikes work? Doubtful.

I wonder where Blue and Marxist work.

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 10:57 a.m.

The individual person has no ability to stand against the organized, well trained, purpose driven forces of the commercial world.

Thus we have the invasion of our private homes by commercials in order to participate in the freedom that we supposedly have. Thus we have huge commercial signs to block our view and destroy the beauty of the natural world. Thus we have work rules for employment that take away freedom and humanity in our quest to obtain the necessities of life.

It is and always has been the agenda and program of those who own and operate businesses to prevent any sort of combining of power by workers or consumers. Thus we have the non-stop war in the media, schools and probably even churches against worker and consumer unions.

So If we would continue in our quest to become civilized we must empower individuals with the ability to live, work and play as human beings.

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 11:13 a.m.

In the thousand words told by the picture chosen for this article there is the notion that the striker is doing something evil. It is the prominent presence of the police car that is the telling item.

• 1conservative WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 11:54 a.m.

"marxist" and "blue" while I seldom agree with you; I sure do today!!

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 22, 2013 12:31 p.m.

Since when is Richard Berman denied his right as a citizen to express his opinion? Does it matter who he works for? Should we demand that Obama stop "campaigning against the Republicans" because he is biased?

Something is wrong when one poster used three different pseudonyms to attack the Deseret News. Maybe it's time that the Deseret News required every poster to register using his true identity before being allowed to post using a pseudonym.

If you don't like what Richard Berman wrote, please have the decency to debate the issue instead of hiding behind a pseudonym and stabbing him in the back. He used his name. Those who oppose him are afraid of what people would think of them if their identity were known. That tells me all that I need to know about those who "protest too much". They're only brave when they can hurl their insults and then run and hide.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 1:23 p.m.

Mike Richards
    South Jordan, Utah

1. The DN allows (5) different names -- I choose to use them.
    2. My DoD security clearance forbids us from using our "real" names in forums such as this. And - thanks to American businesses dealing in Communist Red China -- I can't even have a FaceBook account.

I gotta hand it to you though --
    Call people "rats" using your real name in South Jordan wasn't the smartest of moves.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 1:41 p.m.

MikeR: "Since when is Richard Berman denied his right as a citizen to express his opinion?"

No one is denying his right to express an opinion. The issue is the myriad facades used by this professional shill in an effort to mask his status as a lobbyist for the restaurant and hotels industry.

"Does it matter who he works for?" Of course it does. He's attacking the movement to raise the minimum wage for the benefit of his corporate employers, which includes Walmart, but trying to hide that fact behind a fake "think tank."

"Should we demand that Obama stop 'campaigning against the Republicans' because he is biased?" Don't be silly. Politicians identify themselves as such and are expected to express their political agendas. Mr. Berman is infamous for his many masquerades intended to _hide_ the political agendas of his employers.

"Something is wrong when one poster used three different pseudonyms to attack the Deseret News." That's petulant nonsense.

The middle class is evaporating, corporate profits are at record highs, and the minimum wage can't keep a worker out of poverty, and Mr. Berman is a paid shill for rapacious corporations.

Factual enough for you?

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 1:47 p.m.

"1. The DN allows (5) different names -- I choose to use them."

Didn't know that. For the record, this is the only screen name I use, and I will never use others.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 2:45 p.m.

"On Thanksgiving and Black Friday, union organizers, activists groups and even a couple of Walmart employees are expected to picket the nation’s largest retailer in Salt Lake City and across the country."

=====

...and even a COUPLE of Walmart employees...

Talk about disingenuous.

...in {cut and paste - insert city of NewsPaper here] and across the country.

If the Billionaires of the Sam Walton family can afford to pay a Lobbying hack,
    they most certainly can afford to pay their employees a fair and honest wage!

Therefore --
    I'm going to Centerville to help picket the WalMart there and drop off some cans of food,
    and then,
    I'm heading across the street to Target [who pays their employees more] and then to CostCo [who pays even more] and spending my $$$

• L White Springville, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 3:01 p.m.

What a hoot! This is better than "Saturday Night Live". A poster is offended by someone writing about "rats". I wonder why? Does he identify with the "rats". Why else would he be offended?

Civility in America is something that is out in the open. No one needs to hide. We're given the RIGHT to speak in America. If a government agency tells us that we cannot speak, then I could be the first person in line to take that agency to court. No one, not even the DOD has the right to tell us that we cannot speak out on any subject that we feel is important to us. Of course, the DOD, just like any employer might think that we do not fit the "criteria" for being an employee if what we say is not "politically correct". But why claim to be an American if you are afraid of speaking your mind? Isn't that a basic part of freedom?

Now, to the topic of this letter: The writer has every right to speak his mind and no one in America has the right to censor him.

• Blue Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 4:27 p.m.

LWhite,

Where, except in your imagination, is anyone trying to censor Mr. Berman?

The issue is Berman's status as a corporate shill who is trying to hide that fact, and the Deseret News' complicity in that subterfuge.

If Berman wrote, "I'm a paid lobbyist for Walmart and I want you to know why Walmart doesn't want a hike in the minimum wage," that would be no problem.

It's Berman's pattern of creating numerous phony "think tanks" for the sole purpose of attempting to hide his employers' agendas and lobbying (and the Deseret News' participation by publishing him) that is objectionable.

• Warren ,
    Nov. 22, 2013 7:40 p.m.

LDS Liberal. Who "pray tell" sets this Fair and Honest wage? You-me- the worker- the employer-the government-. I have always found in my 50 years of working that the market place sets my wage based on my skills, expertise and knowledge. If I felt that it was not enough, I had 2 choices--look for another employer that felt my skills were of more value to him, or-- to increase my skills through education and training.Standing outside disrupting others, demanding that I just get more because I want or need it never did seem to accomplish much.

• Badgerbadger Murray, UT
    Nov. 22, 2013 11:18 p.m.

Unions are filled with corruption, and this 'union' has found a way to get out of the regulations on unions. I thought liberals were all about regulations being good, but I guess not this time. They are more interested in attacking the messenger.

If you don't like Wal-mart, don't give them your money and don't work there. It is a free country, and it is truly that simple.

You may not like the messenger, and then mimic him, and what does that make you? You are have free speech and so does he. You are free to be just like him, or worse, and you liberals have done it well.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 23, 2013 5:51 a.m.

@ L White and Mike Richards: Please explain who is denying the author of this letter the right to speak his mind.

Hint: Demanding accountability from a news source is not denying opinion authors the right to express their opinion and disagreeing with someone's opinion is not censorship.

This article was printed in the paper and is widely available online - obviously, no one has prevented this guy from speaking his mind.

But I appreciate the irony of you not rebutting anyone's comments while taking them to task for taking the DesNews to task without offering any rebuttals of the misinformation in the article.

@ DN: Why is my comment considered a personal attack when the exact same comments by L and Mike are not and get posted. Please be consistent and either post my comment or pull theirs. Thank you.

• Ultra Bob Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 8:47 a.m.

Badgerbadger

"Unions are filled with corruption..." is a lie.

It would be true only if you believe that ordinary people are filled with corruption.

You are a victim of unscrupulous business people who will stop at nothing to increase their profit.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 23, 2013 9:52 a.m.

@ badgerbadger: I would gladly stop giving my money to Walmart - but in order for me to do that, they need to pay their employees enough that the employees don't rely on my tax money to make up the difference.

• the old switcharoo mesa, AZ
    Nov. 23, 2013 4:51 p.m.

So while he clearly defines the purpose of the strikes to "smear" the good name of walmart, he smears the good name of the workers? Workers should just shut their mouths and be quiet. Workers should be so desperate that they would do anything for food money...right?

Disappointing DN. A wholesome, truth centered journal would identify the author. I'd love to be able to write it off as a one time mistake but it's the way the DN does business to make the readers look up the authors to find out which right wing think tank they are from. It's just sad. Center for Union facts.. Ever notice how they name themselves the opposite of what they intend to do?

• Badgerbadger Murray, UT
    Nov. 23, 2013 6:36 p.m.

Ultra

You can believe what you want, but I have seen union leaders look out for their own big salaries and extravagant trips and other benefits, while the members pay in large dues and get only the crumbs in return. The leaders are no better than big CEOs regarding greed and income, and union leaders are much more likely to be working in conjunction with organized crime.

You certainly can't claim they have protected the American workers in the last couple decades, as the wealth has continued to concentrate at the top, the same top that union leaders are a part of. Union leaders have jumped ship from being part of the solution to being part of the problem.