NBA update: Brandon Davies earning playing time; other players with local ties play key roles

Comments

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 3:36 p.m.

Where are all the offers from teams trying to Jimmer?

Surely tons of other teams must be waiting in line ready to offer first round picks in exchange for first round pick, and best byu player of the last 30 years Jimmer Fredette right?

Free Jimmer!

• cdchttrtn meridian, idaho
    Nov. 19, 2013 3:56 p.m.

I wish the Jazz would make a more to pick him up. He's a far better shooting than any player on the JAZZ.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 4:04 p.m.

Isn't it sad when a fan base has so few players actually playing in NBA and NFL games that we get an update each time one of them gets on the field/court

Powerhouse national programs do not do that.

If you want people to believe you are a powerhouse national program, act like it.

No Ute fan wants to know each time Andrew Bogut or Andre Miller scores a bucket, or each time Steve Smith makes a catch in the NFL.

• TFUDD SLC, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 4:20 p.m.

@Christopher B

As a Utah fan I would like Jimmer to be successful just as I would want to see Andrew Bogut start kicking butt. Do you dislike BYU that much that you criticize their players as well?

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 4:40 p.m.

You can know that a school and fan base have a following when the great and mighty C.B. comments multiple times on every article published on said school. Validation starts with a C and ends with a B. He just cannot leave BYU alone.

I think that Davies is doing a great job! Let's hope that Jimmer gets freed here.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Nov. 19, 2013 4:43 p.m.

Obviously, somebody wants to know what's up with Jimmer, since he was the first to post about the article. Not to mention, he then posted again 30 minutes later to become the third commenter as well. Obsessed much?

• DRay Roy, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 4:47 p.m.

Jimmer (misspelled?) can add excitement to a team because he is bold, shoots a good percentage when allowed 8 shots or more. Jazz need a leader as well, a point guard. Jimmer would both shoot and play point better than Alec Burks is currently doing. The Jazz are winning the reace to getting the 1st draft pick, if the players don't totally lose confidence I'll be surprised.

• el guapito Provo, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 4:49 p.m.

The dislike is strong in a certain individual and his/her many aliases.

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 5:05 p.m.

@Christopher B

When I hear her comments about Jimmer and all things BYU, it seems as though she has no knowledge or comprehension of sports... Especially when it comes to football and basketball.

Jimmer is a fantastic shooter and certainly will get picked up in free agency. JJ Reddick was in a similar situation - so a player that can shoot will absolutely find a home in the NBA. No one in their right minds would think Sacramento is a good situation for anyone.

Instead of worrying about all things BYU, I might recommend she worry about the Utes - both football and basketball are looking really bad right now.

As far as Davies getting playing time - I love it!!!

• Play Nice Herriman, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 5:17 p.m.

I actually appreciate the updates on local players and their careers. Thanks Deseret News. Keep it up for those of us who appreciate it. Those who don't really shouldn't spend so much time on these types of articles. I might ask prior commenters, who is acting like what here?

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 5:28 p.m.

Whitney (writer of the article),
    No, it's not a big deal, but Davies was not a center at BYU. Even the BYU Cougars website has him listed only as a forward rather than as a forward/center.

• Missouri loves BYU Lebanon, MO
    Nov. 19, 2013 5:33 p.m.

@ Chris B....

"If you want people to believe you are a powerhouse program act like it..."

BYU is acting like it.... That is why they scheduled Stanford on the road, Iowa state, and Texas on the road as part of their early season slate. Clearly they have a goal of competing in the NCAA tournament.

Utah on the other hand plays only one road game and apart from BYU And Boise St. fills the schedule with teams like Katherine college. Never heard of them you say.... That is because this is the first year they have even had a basketball team. Some other teams St. Katherine plays... Walla Walla University and Multnomah University.... Clearly the Utes know that the only way they are going to find wins is play teams that an average church team could beat. As you say Chris..."If you want people to believe you are a powerhouse program act like it." Utah is acting like a JV team at at junior college. Jimmer could beat Utah all by himself...

• Virginians for BYU Lebanon, MO
    Nov. 19, 2013 6:17 p.m.

Here is story to put Jimmer in perspective. My wife has no interest in sports. If you asked her to name one current NFL, MLB or NBA player. She might be able to name 1...Jimmer. (Ok, she would throw out Michael Jordan and Ty Detmer as well not realizing they retired years ago.) I am sure you get the picture....

Several years ago as I was watching a BYU basketball game, my wife was getting the kids ready for bed. As the game was nearing halftime my wife asked me for some help. She then commented that she had not been able to watch any part of the game and was afraid she would miss the whole game without some help.... My wife was actually asking for help so she could watch sports. Holy Friggen cow!!! Jimmer was so much fun to watch that even my wife who never pays any attention at all to sports wanted to watch the games. She watched nearly every game that season. If Jimmer can make my wife complain about not being able to watch sports, he had to have been playing at a whole new level of Awesome.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 6:36 p.m.

Someone please tell me Chris must be joking about this nfl claim? Anyone?

You can always tell when Chris actually has a point, the byu fans have no good reply. I highly doubt there is a single basketball program that thinks so highly of themselves that gives weekly updates on how their nba alum are doing, especially when they are doing so little. Chris talks a lot of nonsense and his predictions are terrible, but he is SPOT on here!

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 8:38 p.m.

People, how many times can we (real Ute fans) tell you to ignore Chris B? IGNORE Chris B!!!

Good for Davies, I'm on record several times now as saying I like his game and thought he stood a decent chance at sticking with a team right for him. It seems the 76ers may be that team.

Good for Bogut and Miller, always nice to see them play well. Bogut was on target to be much better than he is until he had some horrific injuries.

As for Jimmer, I still think it would be fun to see him prove the naysayers wrong. Not sure it will happen, but we can all hope.

My only question, why isn't there an update in this article on Lillard? He's seeing more success (currently) than any of the others mentioned (20 pts and 6 assists). Weber State fans, stand up!

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 9:34 p.m.

Here's your synopsis of every single sports article on the DNews every single day:

Chris B. and his multiple alter egos grab the first 4 or 5 posts within 3 minutes of the article posting. He cannot contain himself and must incessantly compare everything to BYU and slam BYU with all he's got.

BYU fans then think he either 1) officially represents the U and is the spokesperson for Kyle Whittingham, Coach K, and Dr. Hill or 2) represents and speaks for the entire Utah fan base so then they spend the next 20 comments talking about how stupid Utah is or Utah fans are based off what he said.

It's really getting old. By the time I get home from work to read the articles it has all already debased to the point where I don't want to comment because it would be like trying to have a serious discussion with a room full of 5 year olds. I'm sure this won't get posted but I had to get it off my chest.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 20, 2013 12:43 a.m.

I find it somewhere between "'AMAZING and Laughable" that a ute fan would even want to come on this board and talk about Basketball... In fact, based on the pictures I saw of games at the HC last year in the DN I had thought that maybe utah gave up Hoops altogether.

The fact is chis that both BYU and Utah have 2 players in the NBA... One of the two schools NBA players came out of colleges in 2011 and 2013, while the other school has 2 players that was drafted in 99'... Ouch...

• bigv56 Cottonwood, CA
    Nov. 20, 2013 6:51 a.m.

Is utah a powerhouse national program right now?

• Wildcat O-town, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 6:51 a.m.

@Motorbike

I totally agree with your assessment. I pull for the success of all the state of Utah players. You may remember me doing a "Lillard Watch" while the D-News did a "Jimmer Watch". Lillard's success speaks for itself with his Rookie of the Year title last year. He will be a star for years to come. Hopefully the D-News can get on board and post an article about him every now and then. If not, you can always look to the credible sources and media.

GO TRAIL BLAZERS!

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 7:38 a.m.

Now that we are in a bcs we will have tons of teams waiting in line ready to offer first round picks in exchange for first round picks of our players now.

Go Utes!

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 8:25 a.m.

Jimmer will proof them wrong when he goes to another team.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    Nov. 20, 2013 8:36 a.m.

As evidenced by Davies, sometimes you don't know what you've got until you give them a shot. Davies was never on the NBA draft radar yet because he hustles, is smart and has good character he is getting playing time. Jimmer could really help some team that knows how to use him.Put him in the last 5 minutes with a lead and he'll preserve a win, IMHO.

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 8:49 a.m.

Jimmers game may never translate to NBA greatness. He's still the best thing to happen to basketball in the state of Utah since the Jazz made their title runs back in the late 90's. We all enjoyed his antics and performances on the basketball court. Maybe he does just need a change of scenery or maybe he needs to go to Europe to hone his skills. As for now he is wasting away in no mans land in Sacramento. As for the other locals in the NBA, Andrew Bogut has been in the league for several years now and is finally in a place where he has blossomed. It has taken him years to make a difference. Many called him the biggest first round mistake in the History of the League. Golden State has had the patience to let him develop. Andre Miller has a great home in Denver. He has been a player who has contributed to every team he has been a part of. He can fit in anywhere. Good luck to all our locals in the NBA.

• portlander Arlington, WA
    Nov. 20, 2013 9:29 a.m.

People in Portland keep calling for a pure shooting guard, and I think Jimmer could fill the bill there. Coach Stotts likes fast play and long-range shooting.

Yes! Free Jimmer! Send him to the Blazers!

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Nov. 20, 2013 9:52 a.m.

Rockarolla - Bogut in the 1st round pales as a mistake in comparison to the Blazers taking Sam Bowie No 1, leaving Michael Jordan in the 2nd spot....

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 10:01 a.m.

With their program in disarray and stuck in the lower third of the pac 12, it's quite understandable that Utah fans have an interest in BYU.

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 10:31 a.m.

@Motorbike

Great point about Damon Lilliard. C'mon Dnews what's up with that ommission?

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 1:11 p.m.

I submitted a comment that Brandon Davies was not a center at BYU. The comment wasn't approved, which I can live with--I guess we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings?--as long as the article is corrected.

• Cougar Passion Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 1:59 p.m.

One poster here said something about another poster having a point when BYU fans don't respond to him. To that, I would say that there are those here who, upon seeing certain people posting, don't respond because they don't know what was written since they knew it wouldn't be worth their time to look at it. Some BYU fans, as well as some Utah fans, agree that is the best way to deal with a person who knows nothing but negativity. I as well have mentioned that before: Someone like that is simply looking for attention. It's a sad existence, in my opinion, but the rest of us could realize that type will eventually slink away if they are consistently unable to get anyone riled up.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Nov. 20, 2013 5:52 p.m.

I'd like to see a daily feature setup in the same place for easy reference that has the Utah colleges' pro players ongoing stats - and a paragraph about the most outstanding individual effort among them. There are so few players, it wouldn't take much space. How about it DesNews ?