Utah

Doug Robinson: Where were you when JFK was shot?

Comments

• Oldcoach Hurricane, 00
    Nov. 18, 2013 10:38 p.m.

I was between classes in my freshman year at Pasadena City College and had gone out to my car to get another book. I turned on the radio just in time to hear the announcement. I just sat in my car and cried. I thought nothing could cloud my future, but that was the end om my innocence. By the end of 1968 with Bobby Kennedy's and Martin Luther King's assassinations, and losing 12 friends in Vietnam, I had become a realist.

• dogchow1 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 1:45 a.m.

I was 14 years old, home sick from school that day. Watching tv when Walter Cronkite came on and said Kennedy had been shot. Felt it unbelievable that something like this could happen to him, that maybe it would not be too serious. Watched it as it happened from there, including the announcement of his death reported later. Sad, sad day.

• Oh My Heck! Vernal, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 2:01 a.m.

I was sitting in my 9th grade history class, watching the procession on TV. At that age, I didn't fully understand what I had seen happen, and since my parents were not Democrats, and had not voted for JFK, I didn't really know much about him. As an adult, even though I am still a Republican, I have come to appreciate the philosophies and efforts made by JFK at a difficult time in our history. I lost two friends in Vietnam. It was a sad time.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 5:40 a.m.

I was sick and stayed home from school. I was helping my Mom do canning in the kitchen watching the TV I saw it happen.

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Nov. 19, 2013 5:53 a.m.

Eating lunch in the Sherman Elementary school cafeteria. I had a soggy tuna fish sandwich in my hand when Mr. Doxey, the principal, announced the shooting. I didn't feel much like finishing the sandwich. I was pretty stunned even as a young kid. I'm still stunned and mad at the circus that's surrounded the events and lack of truth involving any aspect of it.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 8:33 a.m.

I was in Kindergarten. I had just returned home for lunch and I remember my mom had the radio on with the news about the assassination. My mom was a life long Republican but she loved and voted for JFK so she was very upset with the news. I remember not really understanding what was happening but being really scared...because my mom seemed upset and scared. Later that day on our black and white TV we watched the evening news that gave the details of the day. It was probably too much for a 5 year old to try and process.

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Nov. 19, 2013 8:47 a.m.

I was in morning kindergarten at Meadowbrook Elementary School in Bountiful,
    and had just gotten home from school.

My Mom had been ironing and was watching TV.
    She was sitting on the couch crying,
    and I asked her what was wrong?

She said,
    "The President of the United Sates has been shot."

---

Many years later I was coming home from college at the University of Utah,
    my Mom was again - sitting on the couch, watching TV and crying.

I'd seen this before,
    "What's wrong?", I asked again.

"ANOTHER President of the United States has been shot!"

• Pat Salt Lake , UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 8:59 a.m.

I was in 7th grade at Irving Jr High in Ms Law's Utah History class when the announcement came over the loud speaker. School was immediately dismissed. One of my friends said "Good, we get out of school early." I was so distraught, I wanted to punch him out - but I didn't.

• dalefarr South Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 19, 2013 9:18 a.m.

Walking the halls between classes at West Jordan Jr. High when the mascot was the shamrocks instead of the lions. Sadly there were mixed feelings expressed by the students, until the teachers brought us all back to reality. It became a very shocking and sad day.

• gwenR. USA, FL
    Nov. 19, 2013 9:46 a.m.

I was 8 years old in Mrs. Huffman's 3rd grade class in Indianapolis, Indiana. Shortly after lunch, the vice principal came to our classroom and whispered something to our teacher who then told us very somberly that we were being dismissed early and our mothers would explain why when we got home.

I walked to and from school and I remember being really worried all the way home. The Bay of Pigs had happened the year before and people had been afraid we would go to war with the Russians. So as I hurried home on that cold November Friday afternoon, my first thought was that our country was finally at war with the Soviet Union.

When I got home, there was a bouquet of roses on the tv set. It was my parents' 11th wedding anniversary. Instead of my mom's soap operas, the news was on all 4 tv stations.

For the next several days, my 5 year old sister and I sat on the floor and watched tv every waking moment. I felt so bad for Caroline Kennedy losing her daddy. I adored my father and now I worried something might happened to him, too.

• Richard Larson Galt, CA
    Nov. 19, 2013 10:23 a.m.

I was two years old,
    living in Taylorsville
    on Redwood Roadand about 4700 South.....

• fourfunsons Calgary, 00
    Nov. 19, 2013 10:47 a.m.

I, too, was home sick from school that day, and in bed listening to my radio. We were Canadians but "loved" JFK - his charisma, his accent, his hair! My family spent the next 3 days glued to the tv set, except for Monday when I had to go back to school after lunch, so missed the end of the funeral and at Arlington National Cemetery. It was terribly, terribly sad and reading everyone's Comments has brought it back and I sit here crying as I type.

• ConservativeCommonTater West Valley City, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 11:24 a.m.

I was sleeping late that morning, it was a Saturday, Nov. 23rd, about 9:00 a.m. when I heard the news on the radio. I was in the 9th grade and it stunned me, left me speechless to hear that Kennedy had been shot and killed. We were on the other side of the International Date line and about 8 times zones away from Texas.

I lived on Okinawa at the time and we could only get radio transmissions. No satellites back then. We had to wait a few days to get FILM from the states to see what was happening. It was broadcast on AFRTS (Armed forces radio and television service) so some of what we got was censored by the military.

• dotGone Puyallup, WA
    Nov. 19, 2013 11:52 a.m.

I was 10 years old at school in Juneau Alaska. Someone came in and whispered something to our teacher. She told us, we went home.s It seemed like we were immediately sent home. I remember standing around the bar between kitchen and living room, listening to the radio. Details are foggy, but I remember how stunned and shocked I felt. I didn't know US Presidents could be killed. Oh, much disillusionment for that little girl in the following decades. *cry* Bobby Kennedy and ML King followed before I reached adulthood. No wonder the late 60's were very cynical - or the birth of cynicism! I'm even MORE cynical now! Aren't we all?!?

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Nov. 19, 2013 12:29 p.m.

I was in English class taking an exam when our teacher interrupted. “President Kennedy has been shot and is apparently dead,” she said. A chill went down my spine. The guy sitting next to me had a stunned expression. Minutes later, the teacher had an update. “The President has been seriously wounded.” That news gave me a surge of hope that he was still alive and might pull through.

Class ended and I went to the cafeteria for lunch. As I began to eat, the vice principal came in and got on the speaker system. “President Kennedy has been assassinated,” he announced. From across the cafeteria came the pitiful heart-wrenching wail of a teenage girl.

America came to a halt for four days now frozen in memory. Family’s huddled in front of TV sets in a national experience of unrelenting grief such as I hope to never experience again. Afterwards, we moved on as we must. But things did not feel the same and that became the new normal.

• Hockey Fan Miles City, MT
    Nov. 19, 2013 12:35 p.m.

I was a third grader at Falcon Elementary School, located at Altus Air Force Base, Oklahoma. On that fateful day, the principal of our school interrupted the classes over the public address system to make the somber announcement. When he told us that President Kennedy had been assassinated, a shocked gasp reverberated throughout the classroom, followed by a pall of deathly silence. Then, as though to give voice to the devastation all of us in the room were feeling at the time, a classmate who sat in front and to the right of me broke the silence when she plopped her arms and head on her desk and sobbed, “Our President is dead!”

• Hockey Fan Miles City, MT
    Nov. 19, 2013 12:41 p.m.

Continued from previous post:

We wept.

The Nation wept.

For the next several days, millions of us were glued to our black-and-white television sets as we watched Walter Cronkite and other journalists chronicle this surreal tragedy. We were likewise riveted to our televisions as we watched the funeral proceedings. Even today, I can still hear the cadence of the drums. I can still hear the note the bugler bobbled as he played Taps—a poignant metaphor of the unsteadiness the entire Nation was feeling at that time. I can still see the grieving widow. I can still see young John F. Kennedy Jr. saluting his father’s casket.

• DEW Sandy, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 2:00 p.m.

I was 7 years old in Marin County and only remembered what was on the news daily. Yes, I was sad. Two years ago I went to DC for the first time to see my son in the USMC and he took me to Arlington to see JFK grave site along with his wife to his side.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 20, 2013 10:24 a.m.

I was in science class with a bunch of crying girls.

JFK was a great president.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 3:55 p.m.

I was 5 years old just home from early Kindergarten. Heard it on the radio. Spent the next four days glued to the TV.

• MaryannT ,
    Nov. 21, 2013 4:16 a.m.

I was 12 years old and standing in line for food at the school cafeteria. A teacher came by, very upset, and said President Kennedy had been shot. It was all very sad. Then, as a high school senior, I was just leaving the house for school when I heard Bobby had been shot. I was devastated! I just could not believe it---this horrible tragedy repeated in the same family! What a loss for our country. I still believe Bobby would have gone on to win the Presidential election, and I wonder how it might have changed the course of history.

• windsor City, Ut
    Nov. 21, 2013 10:26 a.m.

I knew it had a big impact on my parents. I was 1 day younger than Caroline. They were Republicans but a very big fans of JFK for the job he was trying to do.

This summer, after visiting DC for the first time and reading the quotes at his gravesite in Arlington, I have read and watched and learned more about him in the last 4 months than all the rest of my life put together. Also listened to the speech he gave in the SLC Tabernacle on Youtube.

He did have a couple of real faults and failings but other than those blind spots, I think he was a good person and really did work for and agonize for our country.

• thebig1 SLC, UT
    Nov. 21, 2013 11:49 a.m.

the thing that irked me was that was all that was on TV for the next week, on all 3 channels

• BH Tremonton, UT
    Nov. 21, 2013 10:13 p.m.

I was 6 years old, just a few weeks short of 7, so I must have been in 1st Grade. But honestly, I cannot remember where I was, or how I learned that JFK had been shot. This is out of character for me, as I have very vivid memories of many childhood events. But my memories of JFK being shot are limited to sitting very close to the TV to watch the funeral.

While my parents were very conservative, and did not vote for JFK, I still understood that it was a terrible tragedy that someone would kill the President of the United States.

I've never been able to wrap my mind around the adoration so many have for JFK. Even back then, before so much of the truth became public, people knew that he wasn't a very honorable man. Perhaps his assasination gave him some type of martyr status.

• U-tar Woodland Hills, UT
    Dec. 4, 2013 12:31 p.m.

where was JFK when I was shot?