Faith

Utah taco shop serves up Mormon missionary work

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 3:52 p.m.

Can you imagine if non-Mormons went around suggesting to Mormons they should NOT get married in an LDS temple, and explaining all of the untruths we have found about Mormonism?

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 6:30 p.m.

That's not preaching the gospel. That is sticking your nose in other people's private lives. Only bishops should be asking members "what is keeping you from getting married in the temple", and even bishops should tread carefully and respect that such a decision is very personal and private.

• Physics27 Cedar City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 9:30 p.m.

I M LDS 2
    I'm sure this guy wasn't trying to get a confession out of her. He was just trying to help someone enjoy something he had. It may have been a little overbearing but I think most of us are not bold enough. He sounds like a nice guy

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 10:04 p.m.

Sounds like a great guy. I'm going to have to go check it out.

LDS 2 don't be so uptight. There wasn't anything wrong with his discussion. He is just wanting them to have it all and enjoy life like he is.

• Jubri Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 12:38 a.m.

Otto is the man!!! Great story James!

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 6:27 a.m.

We all want to change the world any way we can. I try to tell everyone my Saint Nickles Theory., and the 3 gifts you can keep. There is a Spirit in the universe you can turn to.

• HeWhoHasSeenMe Provo, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 7:06 a.m.

I hope that instead of listening to a guy in a taco shop the girl ordering actually opens up her Bible. Notice some things. Christ says there is no marriage in the resurrection. Paul never was married and even comments that he prefers people to live a life of celibacy. When asks how to have eternal life notice the things that Christ says. Notice what isn't said, nothing about eternal marriage. Is there even anything in the Book of Mormon about eternal marriage? If we are with Christ, we all will live together with Him. Do you think those that are married and love each other in this life will suddenly have amnesia in the next life about who their spouse was? The Bible talks of an everlasting covenant. The covenant is Christ, through his sacrifice standing as mediator between God and man. The girl is asked what is keeping her from the temple. If it is something like the word of wisdom, should those things keep one from God? Especially when Christ says it is not what enters the mouth that defiles a man. I suggest some research into the history and start of LDS eternal marriage.

• caf Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 7:40 a.m.

Great blog post! I agree, the taco shop man is amazing and such a great example of sharing what is important in his life with others. We can usually tell what is important in others lives by what they talk about, share, or "comment". If what we appear to find important isn't showing through our daily walk and talk, we can change it!

• 1.96 Standard Deviations OREM, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 8:07 a.m.

HeWhoHasSeenMe-

Modern day prophets shed more light on what the Savior meant regarding no marriage in the resurrection. Doctrine & Covenants 132:7,15-19 explains. Here is a brief summary:

"All covenants, contracts, bonds, [...], that are not made and entered into and sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, of him who is anointed, both as well for time and for all eternity, [...] whom I have appointed on the earth to hold this power [...], are of no efficacy, virtue, or force in and after the resurrection from the dead; [...].

Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world.

Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; [...]."

Overall, there is no civil (worldly) marriage in the resurrection. But there is eternal marriage when done by priesthood authority.

• HeWhoHasSeenMe Provo, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 8:32 a.m.

1.96 Standard Deviations,

Thank you, I understand Mormon doctrine. I used to be Mormon. I understand Mormon interpretation of those verses. The problem is this concept of eternal marriage from the Mormon standpoint. You see if it is only a bond between people making them one together, than you really have nothing more than any other Christian denomination. Because Christians believe that they will be one with Christ. I am sure they won't forget there earthly marriage partners. I am Eastern Orthodox and our marriages don't end with a til death do you part. It is a marriage unity that is forever blessed. But in Mormonism, when you claim to have something different or unique you must carry it to not just being united forever but also that there is going to be a physical marriage act of procreation in the eternities. That idea is foreign to all Christianity. It has it's roots in Joseph Smith's doctrine of polygamy. It is called a "New" and Everlasting Covenant because the idea was completely new. The everlasting covenant in the Bible has nothing to do with this concept.

• pmccombs Orem, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 8:44 a.m.

"Diego isn't just in the business of turning a profit; he's in the business of doing the Lord's work."

Serving God AND Mammon, I see! Taco shop religion... who knew?

You know, I read this and I want to feel good for Diego. What I see, though, is that a woman was made uncomfortable and her personal life opened up to onlookers in a taco shop. Did she appreciate that? Or will she resent it? Did it draw her closer to God, or did it push her further away?

Marshall McLuhan used to say that the medium is the message. In this story, the medium is a taco shop, and that is the message too: This is commercial religion with a dollop of guacamole on it. Like these tacos, your spiritual life is some commodity to be bartered over a dining room counter.

Surely there is a different way to do the Lord's work. Diego will have his faithful customers. But those he wants to reach out to most of all, he may find, will go to Taco Time instead.

• 1.96 Standard Deviations OREM, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 9:20 a.m.

HeWhoHasSeenMe-

D&C is clear eternal marriages and relationships have to be performed by someone who is ordained to the power; otherwise the marriage and familial links dissolve in the next world. It is not an issue of remembering those we lived with.

Peter received power/authority for whatever he sealed on earth would be sealed in heaven. This is the same authority needed today.

The root doctrine we should be discussing is that of apostasy and restoration. How about we discuss apostasy and restoration instead?

The Book of Revelation indicates an angel would be sent in the last days with the everlasting gospel to preach to them that dwell on the earth. Peter talked about a future time of refreshing and restitution. Paul indicated a falling away would occur before the 2nd coming of Christ.

The real question is if there are modern day prophets/apostles with authority from God to allow the gospel of Jesus Christ to be preached and its ordinances performed in our day. This includes eternal marriage.

Joseph Smith was the prophet that restored the gospel, priesthood & sealing authority/power. The LDS church has had an unbroken line of authority since that time.

• HeWhoHasSeenMe Provo, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 10:02 a.m.

1.96 Standard Deviations,

I understand D&C. I understand that Mormons think that those who are not LDS have no links with their family. This means nothing to a Christian who is one body with Christ. They don't need a special sealing to link everyone. If they are linked to Christ, they are the His body, and are One. Celestial Marriage is meaningless to anyone outside of Mormonism. The doctrine is not necessary.

There is no scripture in the Bible that talks of a universal apostasy. A falling a way is not a complete apostasy. The interpretation you have of the Book of Revelations is from a Mormon standpoint and is not an interpretation held since the start of Christianity. Anyone can take scripture and create meaning that is not intended. Yes, even Joseph Smith.

I don't believe there was an apostasy and that anything needed to be restored. The Great Apostasy is a myth. Read the Early Church Fathers. Those who learned straight from the Apostles. There is no Mormonism. Learn about what went on in the Jewish temple. No Mormonism.

• HeWhoHasSeenMe Provo, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 10:32 a.m.

Before I got sidetracked into an apostasy discussion, my point was a Christian believes that they are linked with all those in Christ. Those that shared a bond in marriage will likely keep a strong bond. Why would someone suppose that they won't? Diego, says, "well, do you love him?" As if that is the issue. Then he says, "Don't you want your marriage going forever." Is he speaking of a forever unity. That is found in Christianity. And can even be found in Mormonism outside the temple. It all depends on what you mean by unity. Are you talking about always being together. Or are you talking about the physical actions that take place in marriage? Instead of asking those questions, the more relevant questions would have been, "Do you want to move onto godhood with him and help spirit intelligences grow and do the same?" Isn't that what is really being offered? Her love and unity with her husband really should not be questioned. What if that is not what they want?

• Amazed Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 10:37 a.m.

1.97 Standard deviations

I think you miss a key point, that of having a living Prophet at the head of the LDS Church. I've never been asked to look at an animals head stuck upon a stick, in order for my illness to be cured. I read many doctrines that are interesting over the periods covered by the Bible. However, while I will allow you your opinions on apostasy, I don't think that they trump my living prophet - with whom I'm all in.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 11:12 a.m.

I liked this story. I liked the clarity and conviction with which he spoke. Clearly because he values his own temple marriage he can recommend it to her. He wasn't performing temple sealings with tacos, he understands changes need to occur, but when you look at the benefits of those changes and really believe in them, then those changes are nothing compared to the blessings offered.

Nice to know there's someone out there not jaded into silence by the thick anti-mormon sensitivity cloud that exists in Utah because we're all just a bit worried we might be "too mormon" and might stand out from the crowd.

• leonard Oakley, ID
    Nov. 19, 2013 12:49 p.m.

awesome!

• Completely Converted! cypress, TX
    Nov. 19, 2013 12:59 p.m.

Anyone with any experience with the Latin culture knows that the social, physical, and politically correct barriers adapted in mainstream American culture, are VERY different then in Latin America. Within the outgoing and sincere Latin sociality, this is a completely normal question to pose, and to follow up with. Once I grew accustomed to this level of open conversation in my own experience with immersion in the Latin culture, I was introduced to discussion and relationships that have never been equaled compared to my friends who's background is based north of the Rio Grande.

I submit for your consideration that we do not consider such questions as rude or nosy, but a throwback to a time when neighbors knew each other, asked about each other, and were not afraid to talk to each other. I loved his boldness, but in many cultures it would be an everyday question. Take a look at the introduction of "Outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell for further description of this type of intercommunal relationship.

Next time I am in Provo I know exactly where I am taking my family!

• Bobster Boise, ID
    Nov. 19, 2013 1:17 p.m.

Based on the conversation overheard, I kind of sensed that the girl was LDS, but less active. Her comments did not seem to indicate she was negative toward the church or the concept of temple marriage. My own experience and that of extended family shows that those married in the temple tend to remain married; those not married in the temple tend to have unstable relationships and lots of problems. Whether or not you choose to believe the doctrine, there is certainly something to the principle.

• suzyk#1 Mount Pleasant, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 1:32 p.m.

Too bad there aren't more Taco Shops like that and people who truly care? His questions were normal as far as I am concerned. I always ask the same. I don't know why anyone would be offended by it unless they knew deep down inside what they were doing with their life was not in conformity with what they supposedly believed. Some people are more upfront and I believe the guy in the Taco Shop was sincere with his questions because he is very happy. Good for him!!!

• Clifton Palmer McLendon Gilmer, TX
    Nov. 19, 2013 6:50 p.m.

This story, and some of the commentary, reminds me of a question I was asked some years back.

The questioner wanted to know why Latter-day Saints were so intent on preaching the Restored Gospel to everyone. (I don't remember exactly how he phrased the question.)

My reply: Because we want everyone to have the opportunity to be as richly-blessed as we are.

• Southernmiss kaysville, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 8:24 a.m.

I moved here a year ago from a very non-mormon area. The south is religious, but definitely not LDS friendly..overall. I was born and raised there. I love it there, and I shared the gospel with my friends and loved ones there, and I wouldn't change a thing! They didn't all respond by accepting the gospel, but I wanted them to know that I loved them and that I wanted to share my most prized possession, and I did.

I never dreamed I would leave there, so I'm glad that I didn't procrastinate sharing my feelings with them. As I read this article and comments that have been made my thoughts turned to some who felt I was "bold". I'm thankful that I am. I share the gospel here every time I have the opportunity. I have recently shared the gospel with a young woman here who will be baptized soon. It's so much fun to watch her testimony grow!

Be Bold! It brings happiness! It also lets others know you care about them! Even if they don't accept the gospel at that time!

• Boilerup SOUTHAVEN, MS
    Nov. 20, 2013 10:10 a.m.

I completely agree with Southernmiss - Be Bold! If someone doesn't want to hear about my religion and beliefs (once I've overcome my fear of sharing it), that person can choose to no longer associate with me ... and I've also been known to no longer associate with people if they insist on me changing my beliefs as well. In the long run, what's more eternally significant - principles or relationships? Who is John Galt? And, most importantly ... who is Jesus Christ? I know and I'm willing to share my knowledge. :)

• Southernmiss kaysville, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 12:30 p.m.

Ahhh! Another Mississippian! I moved here from Hattiesburg! Boldness is in our blood. It has to be to some extent. We learn to stand for truth or submit ourselves to ridicule. Our beliefs and knowledge of the life of Christ and his ministry can be intimidating to some, and mis-interpreted by others who twist the scriptures to fit their lifestyle and needs as in one of the above writers, but the truth is the truth. It will bear the test of time and the eternities...

• Well.ok Lehi, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 2:44 p.m.

If I was the woman in this story I would have replied, "you keep your tacos and I'll keep my money" and then walked out the door.

• sukiyhtaky us, CA
    Nov. 20, 2013 4:04 p.m.

Sadly, I read a comment on here that pretty well sums up the experience of non-LDS with LDS who are over zealous. Jesus didn't say love one another, but only if they accept your message, if they don't cut them loose. In defense of the pushy employee, this person said if people don't want to hear about his religion or beliefs then once he has shared them they have the freedom to no longer associate with him. He followed this up with the really telling line...that he personally has "also been known to no longer associate with people if they insist on me changing my beliefs as well." He states very clearly how unwelcome it would be for others to try and change his beliefs, but he fails to see how it would be unwelcome to others to have that shoe reversed. I even sensed a tone of indignancy. I would guess had this young lady come in with a couple of mantra chanting Hare Krishna and starting sharing her beliefs about marriage with others in line or behind the counter they would not have liked it. This was unsolicited advice at an inappropriate place.

• wzick.10 Oakley, ID
    Nov. 21, 2013 8:15 a.m.

Gary and I go there quite often and love the place, especially the manager who was doing the talking. He was only doing what most of us want to do but are afraid to do. Hats off to you Diego.

• Free Agency Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 21, 2013 1:00 p.m.

Diego is always welcome (as we all are) to talk about his own experiences and perceptions, but he did one thing wrong:

He made "you" statements rather than "I" statements.

He should have said what his temple marriage did for him, and left it at that. Instead, he said things like, "Do you love him? . . . Don't you want . . ."

The girl's saying, "Well, yes" doesn't necessarily mean she was "seeing the light." She might actually have been uncomfortable with his cross-examination and wanted it to end.

Again, if I were Diego, I would have just talked about my own marriage and temple ceremony and let the girl do with it (or not do with it) what she would.

He sounds overbearing, however good his intention was. I didn't find his action "inspiring" at all. Just the opposite.

• sukiyhtaky us, CA
    Nov. 22, 2013 9:28 a.m.

I applaud the zealousness in wanting to share your beliefs, but what happened to the right time and the right place. She went in to buy her lunch not get a sermon on temple marriage. Come next year when the atheists are in town and being zealous in sharing their beliefs or lack of them at say this same taco shop or on the steps of the SL temple as couples are getting married or in a DI thrift store will those applauding Diego have the same acceptance of their desire to share what brings them happiness? Time and a place people, time and a place.