Brad Rock: Nothing new for Utah in the Pac-12

Comments

• Ute buster Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:27 p.m.

8-17 in three year of pac play. How pac-thethic. Next year will be even worse with all of the coaches that will be fired this off-season. I see a 1-11 or 2-10 season and then whit will be gone as well.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:28 p.m.

I believe the Utes are better this year, but it will take more to make a difference in the win/loss column.

The Utes did better than most people expected in this game and really held their own in the 1st half. Unfortunately the defense looked tired in the 2nd half when Oregon's subs played.

I think the Ute's QBs will be much better next year with this year's experience under their belt. Go Utes!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:36 p.m.

Could be worse. We could be playing division II teams for senior day, all while waiting next to the phone just praying the big 12 or PAC 12 will call.

The team has shown a TON of promise this year.

I am fully behind whit and the guys. They are fighting their guts out against the hardest schedule in the entire....

COUNTRY

That means something.

WAC byu and WAC usu would be struggling worse than we are.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:41 p.m.

Well, that's what Ute partisans have said on these blogs; they'd rather play a PAC 12 schedule and lose than play a BYU-type independent or Utah State MWC schedule and win. They got their wish so everyone should be happy. The alumni don't have to worry about a holiday bowl game and can enjoy holiday shopping, etc. Enjoy!! (And smile about it, too!)

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:50 p.m.

No surprise here, can't win on the road. Hard to watch, wazizu.
    Will be a good game, they just won at Arizona. I have to start questioning Utahs coaches. Oh we'll such is life, GO SEAHAwKS!

• Why would I? Farmington, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:52 p.m.

Why would I not be surprised to see that USC beat Stanford tonight? With two losses in PAC 12 play it doesn't appear that Stanford was really appropriately a #5 ranked opponent. (Remember how all the Utes said Texas wasn't a #15 team when BYU defeated them? What goes around, comes around....) And Utah lost badly to USC as I remember.

• high school fan Huntington, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 10:09 p.m.

So just how long are each of you going to be happy with conference membership rather than actually winning something. Oh by the way , if you do not win then the better players being recruited will still not come. No matter where you are you must win.
    Whit is a good coach but the Utes need better talent and a deeper bench in order to have any success.

• Max-was-right springville, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 10:19 p.m.

it doesnt matter if the utes win or lose, their in the pac ten now and thats all that matters.

I __I
    I
    I

making the cool U symbol makes it all better.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 10:26 p.m.

@Chris B

You are such a a good cheerleader for your team!
    I hope Utah can win at least 1 more game before the year is over.

LOL

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 10:27 p.m.

Chris B:
    We're all getting tired of the whiney SOS excuses. Congratulations for playing the toughest schedule in the country. BYUs SOS is 10, that's right 10...and we're 7-3. Your excuses about the schedule vs BYUs schedule just doesn't hold water. BYUs the better program right now and rankings including SOS rankings prove that out. Which would I rather be? I'd rather be 7-3 against the 10th SOS than 4-6 against the 1st schedule. If your ok losing and missing out on bowl season just so you can proudly display that PAC12 ornament on your Christmas tree that's fine...to each their own I guess.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 10:47 p.m.

The Utes can't hide from "the rock." He'll tell it like it is and let you have it when you need it, every time! Ouch!

Go Cougars!

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 12:09 a.m.

It is inconceivable that Utah will NOT go to a bowl game this year. Inconceivable that the Utes will lose to Washington State. Impossible to lose to Colorado. Forget strength of schedule excuses... these aren't difficult team so that excuse can't work. Inconceivable that Utah being in the PAC 12 hasn't attracted players who see the advantage of Utah-in- P12. With as many NFL players it's inconceivable that Utah isn't crushing everyone.

But... 4-6 with one of those wins being a terrible Weber St (yes, they're in the same class as Idaho St but worse) and two impressive wins against an okay Utah State, a good BYU and a very good Stanford. But... that's where they are.

So...if Utah can't beat those it is inconceivable they'd lose to... time for some drastic changes or it will be doing the same things over and over expecting different results. Inconceivable.

• Hawkeye79 Iowa City, IA
    Nov. 17, 2013 6:22 a.m.

I am a Utah man, sir, and I've learned to take my licks
    We're in a special conference, but our record's 4-6
    The door is quickly closing if we want to make a bowl
    If we're eligible but get no invite, did we meet our goal?

Who am I, sir? Ummm...look! Our basketball team destroyed the Geoducks!

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Nov. 17, 2013 6:43 a.m.

They are the best in the state but can't quite get it going in the PAC 12. What does that say for football in the state of Utah? I always thought it was better than that. I guess BYU should be relieved they aren't in a big-time conference. I always thought it was too bad BYU didn't also go to the PAC 12. I am not thinking that anymore. They are probably exactly where they should be. As the old saying goes, there but for the grace of God go I. Go Cougars! Go Utes!

• SSmith Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 6:56 a.m.

The Rockmonster nailed it...

Utah will never win a title, but sometimes they'll be good enough for a low-rent bowl game.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 7:50 a.m.

The PAC-12 has clearly been a disaster for the Utes. As I've said many times, they are in completely over their heads. Is Bagdad Bob now a Utes fan. I figured he must be when I read some of the posts.

• hamrdown OREM, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 7:55 a.m.

I've said it before and I will say it again...Even if Utah wins their last 2 games, I don't think they will go bowling. The PAC will have too many bowl eligible teams for their contracted bowls and I don't see another bowl picking the Utes over other teams across the country with 7-5 records.

I don't think anybody wants to admit that this is a very real possibility.

• Silent Lurker Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 8:19 a.m.

All this weak smack from cougar fans because they know that know their team has been owned by the Utes. (four in a row and nine of the last twelve) They have nothing left but weak smack cannot brag about their own team,(1 of 4 against BCS teams) their conference,(WAC caliber) or their BCS standing,(a non qualifier) so what are they left with beating the Idaho States of the nation. That's the class they are in. The kiddie table at Thanksgiving dinner. They can't stand the fact that Utah is playing in a major conference and they are left grasping for scraps at the kiddie table. Even with a really poor six win season the Utes could be playing in a bowl game as good as the cougars. Hurts doesn't it cougs. Live with that!

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Nov. 17, 2013 9:00 a.m.

These are tough losses to wonderful teams, but on the plus side--this is real football. We must become deeper and recruit better. Fortunately, high school players in the state of Utah are able to see things clearly (toughest schedule in the nation--Pac 12--beat Stanford--beaten BYU last four years, two in their own--or should I say 'our own' stadium and sent them running for the exits two years ago--) and then we get them. And will continue to get them. Will it be enough? Hard to say, but I wouldn't change it back to playing small ball in the MWC--or being the mid major independent, for all the jello in Provo. Ask other Pac 12 teams and fans of teams who have struggled in the Pac 12 if they'd like to drop out and move to independence or the WAC or the MWC.

• Lone Star Cougar Plano, TX
    Nov. 17, 2013 10:00 a.m.

Hi Chris,

I hope you are ok. You must be dizzy with all the spinning you are doing. You remember those tops made by Mattel called Wizzers? Those remind me of you. Seemingly unperturbed on the outside but spinning like mad on the inside just to hold yourself up.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 10:03 a.m.

@silent lurker

Fail lol.

BYU is 3-3 against "bcs" teams, utah is the team with only 1 bcs win, 1-6. Just saying stuff doesn't make it true but thank you for that post, I got a really good laugh out of it.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 10:05 a.m.

@xert

"Ask other Pac 12 teams and fans of teams who have struggled in the Pac 12 if they'd like to drop out and move to independence or the WAC or the MWC."

Why? I wouldn't expect any of you to give a truthful answer. Go ahead and keep the brave face with the trembling lip.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Nov. 17, 2013 10:07 a.m.

Utah in the PAC-10.2 is starting to remind me of the old Mountain West team that always was a sub-.500 team but would find a way every year to pull off a bind side big upset victory at home.

Stanford looked past the Utes and that was a mistake. Just because they are cellar dwellers doesn't mean that they can't come up and bite a bowl bound team.

Congratulations Utah for being the Wyoming of the PAC-10.2.

Hopefully, the Utes can pull out a victory over Colorado at home so the won't be totally buried in last place and be dropped to New Mexico status.

• Dunedain PROVO, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 10:15 a.m.

How long are you going to thump your chest about being in the PAC 12? Look yes, you have beaten BYU 4 times in a row. You deserve all the credit for that, but streaks happen. From the late 70's to the early 90's BYU dominated the U. Streaks happen. What is the U going to turn to when they next lose to BYU (because yes it will happen at some point, streaks also end)
    If Utah really had become a better program than BYU I think they would be doing much better in the PAC12. That would tend to say that they had developed into something more. But the fact that they aren't seems to say that they are in the same boat as BYU, just in a different ocean. I would say that BYU has just as good a chance to beat a team in the PAcc that Utah does. Which means a shot any given Saturday they could beat anyone, but week in and week out it would be rough. I don't envy the U, it's tough. But please the fact that you keep losing says you're not that much better.

• Dunedain PROVO, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 10:19 a.m.

continued from my other comment.

And I'm not a BYU who would sit here and say oh yea of course we would be dominating in the PAC. I know it would be tough for BYU to play in the PAC 12. But please enough with the "we're better only because we're in the PAC" comments. You haven't proven anything in the PAC which says to me that BYU and Utah are still roughly equal in terms of where they stand on the college football landscape. They only difference is that Utah's conference has an auto-bid to the rose bowl...a bowl that we'll be more of an awesome exhibition game once the playoff kicks in...(don't get me wrong it would be a great exhibition game to play in but the playoff will rule all starting next year)

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 11:01 a.m.

hamrdown

Winning out and going 6-6 and no bowl invitation would be the ultimate slap in the face.

Not sure Whit could survive that.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Whit needs to go. The guy depends too heavily on defense to win the day while his offense suffers. The Utes keep trying to do the same thing over and over again hoping the result will be different. That is the pure definition of insanity.

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    Nov. 17, 2013 12:52 p.m.

Utah has played what Sagarin says is the # 1 toughest schedule in 2013. Other services rank the SOS for the Utes @ 3, 5 or 7.

Where's the independent "toughest schedule in history" for BYU. . . ranked anywhere fro 29 to 49th toughest.

No matter how fanatic these BYU posters are they could never say with a straight face that BYU could beat Stanford this year. Notre Dame 42 BYU 17 next week

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Nov. 17, 2013 1:34 p.m.

@xert,

"I wouldn't change it back to playing small ball in the MWC--or being the mid major independent, for all the jello in Provo. Ask other Pac 12 teams and fans of teams who have struggled in the Pac 12 if they'd like to drop out and move to independence or the WAC or the MWC."

My, my! Ain't that the height of prideful arrongance! You're only 3 yrs into the Pac 12 with a record that non in Ute Nation is proud of and you're now looking down your nose to the WAC and MWC that your team and BYU competed in for years? You act as if you dominated those conferences when you were there too! You hate to admit and refuse to acknowledge all of BYU's achievements and ridicule them as Waciish and mid major! How arrogant and pathetic! You were part of the competition, weren't you? So you owned BYU 4 yrs in a row. BYU owned you in the 80's and 90's. And for your program's and coach's sakes and honor, I hope you win your last two games!

Good luck!!!

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 1:38 p.m.

@Duckhunter

"BYU is 3-3 against "bcs" teams"

That is a great accomplishment, especially since BYU has only played 5 BCS teams (Virginia, Texas, Utah, Georgia Tech. and Wisconsin). Record: 2-3.

"Just saying stuff doesn't make it true."

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Nov. 17, 2013 3:14 p.m.

I follow the Cougars but BYU fans should refrain from coming down on the Utes. The Pac 12 plays great football and Utah beat BYU head to head again. I like KW and hope he turns it around.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Nov. 17, 2013 4:31 p.m.

Team A beats Team B but fans of Team B are deliriously happy whenever Team A loses, making their loss to Team A even worse.

Now that is true hatred.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 4:54 p.m.

@FYI

Houston is from a BCS league.

Utah is a far better team than they were last year. The problem is that all the competition that was even with Utah last year has also improved. If Utah hadn't improved they would only have beaten Weber State. Up next is Washington State on the road. Washington State is by far the most improved team in the conference considering how bad they have been. If they beat the Utes they become bowl eligible. They took down Arizona on the road and the Utes face them on the road. Utah has got to win that game and the one against Colorado (who has the bye to prepare for the Utes) in order to get to a bowl. I am not counting Utah out till they have seven losses or in till they have six wins AND an invite. I am hoping the Utes get to six and a bowl wants them. There only looks to be three open bowls (and ten teams vying for them). Get the wins and lobby hard for a bowl trop to New Mexico.

• 32843 PROVO, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 5:42 p.m.

I need to point out something that is no longer true, in spite of some Ute fans continuing to point to it as justification for having a poor season. The Utes are not playing the hardest schedule in the country. Far from it. Sagarin's SOS for November 16, 2013 has Utah's SOS listed at 26 and BYU at 21. SOS means nothing at the beginning of the season as it's based mostly on opinion rather than the results of played games. As we've seen as games get played, the real strength of teams schedule is based on results, not wishful thinking.

What lost Utah the game against Oregon was their offense not playing well enough to get their defense off the field. As a result, Utah's defense got tired and then Oregon began running away with the game. Get a decent offense and I think Utah can make some noise in the PAC-12.

Finally, Chris B, Utah plays this same ISU next year. Interesting, huh?

• bradleyc Layton, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 5:53 p.m.

If the University of Utah is smart they will get behind Kyle and the coaching staff. Kyle is a great coach and will do well but needs more than 2 years to get accustomed to the Pac 10+2. Utah is a play or two from being really good. BYU is a play or two and some swagger away from being really good too. We are so blessed to have 3 pretty good D1 teams in this state.
    Utah fans, get behind your team, quit being fair weathered and have some patience while they learn to succeed in the PAC.

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Nov. 17, 2013 6:41 p.m.

32843,

You read the Sagarin table incorrectly. It indicates that BYU is the 21st best team in the country, and Utah is the 26th best. It rates Utah's SOS as #1, and BYU's as #24.

According to Sagarin, Utah has faced 7 top 30 teams. BYU has faced 3.

I agree with your analysis of the Utah-Oregon game.

Good luck Utes! We need these two wins badly.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Nov. 17, 2013 8:55 p.m.

Utah'95

Latest BCS/CBS Sports/Sagarin/Composite(72) Rankings

#39/#35/#21/#25 BYU
    #52/#50/#26/#46 Utah

Don't expect the Wazoo to roll over for the Utes; Washington State(5-5) will also be fighting to qualify for a bowl.

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 9:11 p.m.

@ Duckhunter and Steven S. Jarvis

My apologies in not recognizing Houston as a BCS team. I overlooked the AAC, forgetting it replaced the Big East.

• LeftCoastUte DANVILLE, CA
    Nov. 17, 2013 11:09 p.m.

Should never have dropped BYU from the 2014-15 schedules. Needed that automatic annual "W" to go along with the FCS foe!

• Utah'95 FPO, AE
    Nov. 18, 2013 6:23 a.m.

DeepBlue,

I agree with everything you said.

The point of my earlier post was to correct a misunderstanding about the two respective school's strength of schedules, nothing else.

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 7:43 a.m.

At least we won byu again and that means we are better even though we lose and we are also more prestegous because we are bcs even though we lose.

Go utes!

• still_thinking Draper, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 8:04 a.m.

One thing I just can't figure out. Utah beat BYU so the only logical conclusion is that the U is "By Far" the best team in the state. And Utah beat Stanford, yet everyone in the sporting universe agrees that Stanford is better than Utah. How could a team that lost to another team be considered better? Could it be that the overall accomplishments of a team during the season are what measure the quality of a team, and not an individual game?

• SEC Rules Seminole, FL
    Nov. 18, 2013 8:15 a.m.

"You are now entering PAC 12 Country" Gotta love that billboard.

Should say..."You are now entering Fantasy Football Country"

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 8:24 a.m.

@thomasjefferson...."The purpose of playing is winning. More losses than wins equals being losers."

Couldn't agree with you more...4 in row, 9 of 12 and overall domination of the series with the cougies....As you said more losses than wins equals "losers". So I agree with you that would make the cougies "Losers"

• Hawk Littleton, CO
    Nov. 18, 2013 8:52 a.m.

@JoCo Ute

"With all the posts from BYU fans you'd think this was an article about BYU. The kick'em when there down sense of (non)sportsmanship shows the real character of the Cougar fan base. Remember what goes around comes around. . . can you say 1 - 25?"

HA! Good one, JoCo. Talk about 'projection'! I LOVE the unspoken implication of "UTE fans would never exhibit such poor sportsmanship" or "UTE fans would NEVER kick a rival while they're down" only to be followed by (and I realize, you just can't help yourself) a reference to the HEIGHT of ute kick-em-while-they're-downism by referring to the 1-25 BYU basketball season. Perfect! Just another example of how toxic this rivalry has become and another reason may BYU fans wouldn't mind seeing it come to an end. A win over Notre Dame this week (with them next coming to Provo) would make that series a GREAT replacement for the former utah rivalry....

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 10:10 a.m.

"The Utes are better than their record". Yea right. Keep dreaming. This is a lousy Ute team, overmatched in every way in the Pac 12. They will never be contenders. They and the Y, ought to think about forming a new conference with TCU, Boise State, Air Force, Utah State, San Diego State, Fresno State, Colorado State, and for patsies New Mexico, UNLV, and Wyoming. They'd get a good TV deal and would be a great conference. Call it the Big Rockies Conference. At least then the Utes might have a chance.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 10:20 a.m.

Now for a comment that the Ute fans may agree with. Great win Saturday by the Y over a high school team that Bingham might be able to beat. How's that? What are the Ute fans going to say about the Y if the Y beats Notre Dame? After all ND is currently 7-3 and beat Arizona State and USC.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 10:23 a.m.

Joe Co Ute. How about the Utes 1-10 (1975/76). I remember that year well.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Nov. 18, 2013 10:42 a.m.

Talking smack about BYU playing ISU is kind of dumb, especially when the Utes open their season, Thursday, 08/28/2014 against the Idaho State Bengals at RES. Just a thought.

• CincyRed13 SLC, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 10:51 a.m.

Chris,

BYU would not be struggling as bad as Utah is this year. BYU would have beaten Arizona, USC, Weber State, Utah State, Washington State and Colorado. They would have lost to Oregon and Stanford. Oregon State, Arizona State, and UCLA would have been toss ups. BYU would at least have 6 wins but I'd estimate 7 to 8. I hope the Utes win out and I hope they start becoming competitive but enough is enough. No matter how close they have come they are still losing. As for the BYU comment, when will it dawn on some people that the only reason BYU has not been invited to a BCS conference is because they will not play on Sunday?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 18, 2013 11:05 a.m.

@Cougndawgs

Chris B:

----------------

What source rates BYU's schedule at #10?

As of today you have played ONE ranked, that qualifies as a top 10 schedule? Imagine if BYU played FIVE ranked teams? Since you haven't beat a Big 5 final ranked team since 1996 I can only assume you would be 0-5 maybe 1-4.

According to Sagarin your schedule is #24 and you are ranked #21 just 5 spots ahead of #26 Utah.

• Horrible Stumper Hyrum, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 11:05 a.m.

I have read a lot of BYU vs UofU comments yesterday and today. It is amazing how much animosity there is between the fans. Utes claim they are better because they have the #1 hardest schedule and they play in a "power" conference. BYU claims they are better because they actually have some wins, albeit not against any "power" conferences, and they are better because Utah is the bottom of the barrel in the PAC 12. I tell you what, if I was a BYU or Utah fan I would be upset because of what the administrators of these two schools have done to you. With the dissolution of the Big East, if Utah and BYU had stayed in the MWC, the MWC would now be a AQ for the BCS Bowls. With them in the MWC it is a far better conference than what replaced the Big East. Both would still win some games, and be considered the strongest schools in the league, with the possible exception of Boise State. No one really knows what will happen next year, but both teams would have benefitted by staying in the Mt. West. Both of you fell prey to arrogance.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 18, 2013 11:19 a.m.

Duckhunter

Highland, UT

@silent lurker

Fail lol.

---------------

Houston is a CUSA team, they do NOT have BCS talent and next year they won't even have BCS status. Go ahead and count that has an accomplishment if you like but no one else does.

BYU is 2-3 vs Big 5 teams, the combined record for those teams is 27-25 (52%).
    Utah is 1-6 vs similar teams, combined record 53-18 (75%).

You can't tell the difference?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 18, 2013 11:20 a.m.

SEC Rules

Seminole, FL

"You are now entering PAC 12 Country" Gotta love that billboard.

Should say..."You are now entering Fantasy Football Country"

-------------

It does if you turn around and go down south.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 11:38 a.m.

Cincy,

byu/UCLA would have been a tossup?

LOL!

Arizona STate and UCLA would handle byu easily.

Oregon State would be a tossup.

On Utah's schedule, byu would have beaten Weber, Colorado, and Utah State.

Arizona, Washington State, Oregon State would be tossups.

Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona State, and USC would all be losses.

byu's schedule only includes ONE team currently ranked(Wisconson)

And you lost.

No reason to believe byu could beat Arizona State and UCLA if they were beaten relatively easily by Wisconsin.

And no, Sunday play was NOT the reason on conference wants you. If Notre Dame had a sunday rule , conferences would bend over backwards to STILL get Notre DAme, and could easily arrange the schedule to not give them Sunday games.

LOL.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:12 p.m.

Travis Wilson is done for the season.
    Sorry to hear about such a devastating injury.
    Scary that it was diagnosed so quickly as a season ender.
    Hopeully there are no long term effects.

Guessing who win games is funny but it is an exercise in futility.
    Nobody knows how either team would have done playing the other schedule.
    Ignorance is the only principle displayed in such remarks.
    To say why or why BYU hasn't received an invite to a different conference is just as incognizant as the prior argument.
    Lets use some intelligence in our remarks.

• Serenity Now Highland, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:28 p.m.

To Silent Lurker,

I love the kiddie table analogy when comparing Utah's PAC 12 affiliation with BYU's independence, not because it's accurate, but because it reveals so much about the bruised egos of Utah fans and the hollowness of their arguments about why the food tastes better in the dining room. It's all about who they hang out with rather than what they accomplish.

And did you ever notice that the 17-year-old kids who graduate from the kiddie table to the adult table have no clue what the adults are talking about? I'm afraid Utah will forever be a 17-year-old with a booster seat at the adult table, but never trustworthy enough to be provided a knife or fork to go with its plastic spoon.

• Jazzsmack Holladay, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 12:35 p.m.

Strength of Schedule means nothing if you are always losing.

• maxiute Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 1:26 p.m.

@Horrible Stumper

Very naive post on your part. While winning is important...money is much more important and the money the U gets through their Pac12 affiliation is many times greater than the money they would receive through any new conference affiliation with the schools you named. Even though the U received just a 50% share of Pac12 money last year (even that figure is far greater than what they would receive through your "fantasy conference" - even going to a BCS game), they receive a 75% share this year and for all future years will receive a full share.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:28 p.m.

@maxiute

"While winning is important...money is much more important"

Boy that must really get you utah "fans" through those long bowless December nights. LOL!

• AggiePride Logan, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:57 p.m.

State of Football in Utah:

Utah - "I love the Pac-12, it's such a great conference! We will compete in it sooner than later."
    What they're really thinking, "I don't like losing to Pac 12 teams any more than Mountain West teams."
    Hopes - They will find a respectable place in the Pac 12.
    Fears - Things will never improve and they will be the perennial cellar dweller.

BYU - "Remember 1984? We are the best program in the state like always. I love independence because now we are just like Notre Dame."
    What they're really thinking, "I wish we were in the Pac-12 so freaking bad."
    Hopes - They will get invited to the Pac-12 or Big 12
    Fears - They will stay independent and NEVER win a championship EVER again.

USU - What we're saying, "The Mountain West is great. With Chuckie healthy, we maybe could have won it. We will get it next year"
    What we're really thinking - "(see above)"
    Hopes - We now have the best chance in the state of getting to a BCS game, we better do it next year with Chuckie.
    Fears - We lose our AD, President, and Coach and drop back to obscurity.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 3:03 p.m.

"Utah fans claim they are better because of their hard schedule."

No, Utah is better than BYU because:

1)BYU has, by far, the most embarrassing loss.

2)Utah has, by far, the most impressive win.

3)The two teams played each other. Utah beat BYU again, as they do every year.

• Funny/witty screen name Orem, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 4:14 p.m.

wait, so you dont count houston as a BCS automatic qualifier school?? thats funny because thats what most of the country says about utah. "3 years and we will be headed to a rose bowl" should be utah's tag line.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 4:30 p.m.

@Horrible Stumper - your post is just incredible. Utah started the landslide by leaving. BYU had already been fighting to get out of the awful mtn TV problem. Had BYU stayed the mtn TV would have survived and would still be limiting BYU. And had Utah stayed nothing would have changed. TCU was still going to leave the MWC. Adding Boise State would have helped but not enough to force way into the BCS before playoff talk started. So not much would have changed had BYU stayed. And Utah made it clear where their allegiance was, they left BYU behind. So get the full historical background before making silly statements that the MWC would be this huge powerhouse.

I feel badly for Utah, they're obviously in over their heads. But let's hope they make the best of it; I fear an Arizona-like PAC existence for the U. And to have been soooo bad at QB for so long hasn't helped either. Losing Wilson hurts the chances of making a bowl this year.

And good for BYU for making the best of its situation. They're getting quality wins vs big conf opponents, let's hope it continues.

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 4:32 p.m.

@truthsandwich - BYU still has a chance at a marquee win, vs ND in South Bend. Utah won't make a bowl game by just relying on the 'we beat Stanford' argument.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 8:35 a.m.

@cincyred13..."BYU would not be struggling as bad as Utah is this year. BYU would have beaten Arizona, USC, Weber State, Utah State, Washington State and Colorado. They would have lost to Oregon and Stanford. Oregon State, Arizona State, and UCLA would have been toss ups. BYU would at least have 6 wins but I'd estimate 7 to 8."

LOL...The cougies are lucky they didn't face this schedule or they would be 2-10 only wins weber and colorado. I know what you're thinking we already beat utah st. With a healthy chuckie Keaton for 4 quarters Utah state wins that game.

• truthsandwich RANDOLPH, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 3:39 p.m.

@Johnny

"BYU still has a chance at a marquee win, vs ND in South Bend"

Really? Sagarin, the system every byu fan swears by, has Notre Dame ranked 42.

Utah is ranked 26.

But Utah is a horrible team and Notre Dame would be a "marquee win"? Gotcha.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 7:37 a.m.

@truthsandwich

Notre Dame has an actual name brand, utah does not. It is kinda like utah "fans", yourself for instance, that claim playing any team in the pac12, no matter how bad a team it is, is somehow more prestigious than playing a non bcs team no matter how good that team may be. It's standard utah "fan" hypocrisy, and it is laughably embarrassing for that mid tier commuter school.