Opinion

Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: The nation is having debates regarding PC issues — so we will, too

Comments

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 12:29 a.m.

Most people I interact with should be happy that I engage in some level of political correctness.

• McMurphy St George, Utah
    Nov. 17, 2013 10:16 a.m.

The answer to the Washington Redskin dilemma is simple as proposed by a Washington sports columnist. The problem is not with the name but with the logo. Change the logo from an Indian brave to a potato and the problem is solved.

• 1covey Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 2:46 p.m.

Mr McMurphy I believe the correct name would then be"potato skins". Perhaps Idaho would object.

• the truth Holladay, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 5:59 p.m.

Political Correctness comes from communism,.

Communists had political officers to control the words, thoughts and deeds of other.

It is a concept we should run the other way from.

Our founding fathers wisely decided freedom was our course.

Only the politically correct extreme left has issues with team names.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 17, 2013 6:46 p.m.

@ the truth: Political correctness in the U.S. started when religious individuals decided they did not want their children exposed to curse words at school or in other public places. From there it expanded to actually addressing words that denigrate others.

• RichardB Murray, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 11:04 p.m.

"Redskin" is a derogatory slur based upon skin color"

Is the use of white, black and brown for skin color derogatory also?

• Mark B Eureka, CA
    Nov. 18, 2013 6:58 a.m.

The best answer for RichardB, I think, is "sometimes." Describing someone as, for instance, a "white guy" carries no stigma. Taft's description of Filipinos, however, as our "little brown brothers" has a demeaning quality. Grouping people by skin color is usually unwise because it frequently is used to attach a non-color quality to everyone in a racial group. We're better off just treating other people as individuals, and with respect. I don't think doing so will turn us into communists.

• Wonder Provo, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 7:25 a.m.

What others call "political correctness," I often call common courtesy or respect. I don't know why it is so objectionable to so many people to treat others as they would want to be treated.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:29 p.m.

Sorry, but there are ample discrimination laws that would apply to any employment or housing discrimination. We don't need any more. There are remedies already in place. Besides, if I was a woman using the restroom, I wouldn't want a guy in the same room doing their business as I, no matter how he dresses.

• Kalindra Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 18, 2013 10:43 p.m.

@ Flashback: You would never know if an individual sharing the locker or restroom with you was a trans individual. And chances are you have shared locker and restrooms with one or two before.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Nov. 20, 2013 4:09 p.m.

Kalindra, bet I haven't.

• Alfred Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 25, 2013 12:40 a.m.

@RichardB:
    "Is the use of white, black and brown for skin color derogatory also?"

No reference to skin color is derogatory or racist. After all, we are a nation of differing skin colors, and it's all good. Perhaps the Utes should change from 'Redskins' to 'Blackskins' to honor our African American brothers who dominate the game.