Utah

Best-seller's claims about Huntsman could hurt his political future

Comments

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Nov. 15, 2013 9:01 p.m.

Interesting to find this type of article in the Deseret News. Apparently Romney is the only one worthy of weekly, almost daily, complementary articles before, during and long after the election.

Huntsman has no chance of winning a Republican primary. None.

That said, I think Abby Huntsman had it right. Mark Halperin's books (plural) read more like high school gossip columns than serious journalism.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 11:12 p.m.

Huntsman a liberal - no surprise here.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 11:34 p.m.

Huntsman was a great candidate, skipping Iowa was genius, where Huckabee won in 2008. We need more rich people in politics like Bloomberg who are not in it for the money and who fear few people and who want to spend all their money on good causes and want to " bounce the check to the undertaker."

• jr85 United Kingdom , 00
    Nov. 15, 2013 11:59 p.m.

When the opposing team says you are the only one they take seriously on your team, your team needs to take notice.
    Jon Huntsman is probably the most overqualified person to be President of the United States because

1) Hes had a successful private sector career
    2) He governed the NUMBER 1 job creating state (not 47th)
    3) He has extensive foreign policy experience
    4) He knows our most important trading partner like the back of is hand (also their language)
    5) Fiscally conservative
    6) Reformed Healthcare (without a mandate).

Can someone please explain to me why this guy isn't President?
    Good luck Jon in 2016

• Mark from Montana Davis County, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 3:16 a.m.

Huntsman will never be elected president. He is too liberal for the right and too conservative for the left. Which means he would likely make a pretty good president. Neither power base is interested in someone that will work with both sides to get things done. Both sides are interested only in keeping the power they have and in gaining more. Governing is no where on either sides agenda.

• Still Blue after all these years Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 4:59 a.m.

Huntsman needs to finally tell the truth and become a Dem. That's what he is.

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 5:29 a.m.

Don't think he would want to have a conversation about that.

• postaledith Freeland, WA
    Nov. 16, 2013 5:30 a.m.

I happen to disagree. Romney tried to buy the election and ignored the 47%, mainly minorities. If he had become president, the country would be in shambles. I don't know that much about Huntsman, but I like his daughter and I think she has a good head on her shoulders. She must have gotten some of her great qualities from her father.

• SillieGander Washington, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 5:35 a.m.

As a progressive-liberal-socialist I know for a fact that one has to get the moderate centrists (liberal Republicans and conservative Democrats) to win a Presidentiad and only three (3) Republicans can fit that bill:

John Ellis "Jeb" Bush (1953 - )
    Jon Meade Huntsman Junior(1960 - )
    Christopher James "Chris" Christie (1962 - )

These are the only three (3) that can do it PROVIDED that they run as moderate centrists (liberal Republicans with a liberal Republican platform). The Grand Old Party (G.O.P.) must not saddle their moderate-centrists with a right wing platform like they did to John Sidney McCain III (1936 - ) in 2008 and Willard Mitt Romney (1947 - ) in 2012. As the Republican party (1856 - ) will not do this thus Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton (1947 - ) will be elected the forty fifth (45th) POTUS on Tuesday November 8, 2016.
    Hillary 2016
    Hillary 2020

• wazzup Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 5:55 a.m.

Lets see. He leaks something about Herman Cain. He falsely tells the 'enemy', Harry Reid, about Romney not paying any taxes for 10 years. He's lazy and whiny. He doesn't know if he is a member of his religion or not? Doesn't that describe a kid who was born with a silver spoon in their mouth and thinks he's so cool he can say and do anything they want?

For him (and his father) to help spread the rumor about Romney to Reid, that is deplorable. Like a spoiled kid, if he can't have something, no one can.

I could have voted for him before, but not now! My respect for the Huntsman's has dwindled. Talk about sore losers.

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Nov. 16, 2013 5:55 a.m.

I got weird vibes from the guy. First he wasn't LDS then he was, he served under a democratic President but he was a republican but he really wasn't. This book confirms my hunch from afar that he isn't a straight up guy. Reminds me of John Edwards in many ways where he is trying too hard.

• On the other hand Riverdale, MD
    Nov. 16, 2013 6:20 a.m.

Given that Jon Hunstman already is what Mike Lee apparently now aspires to be, I think he's still got a good chance at elected office.

Mr. Halperin's reputation isn't exactly stellar. I would take what he writes with a grain of salt.

• Dante Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 6:22 a.m.

Mark Halperin and Abby Huntsman share spot 479 on my list of most insightful opinion-shapers of 2013.

• UTAH Bill Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 7:00 a.m.

Huntsman gets marginalized because he no longer fits in the Little Tent Republicans are building. Like Reagan, Huntsman represents Big Tent party politics - where Moderates are welcome to join in and participate. He's shown he cares about doing what's right - not what the party says is politically right.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 7:07 a.m.

What a revealing and refreshing article it clarifies what happened to Herman Cain. Huntsman is just too liberal for Utah and his daughter Abby an MSNBC host? Huntsman should stay in the private sector.

• Spikey Layton, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 7:07 a.m.

One word: RUBBISH. Jon Huntsman, Jr. is the best, most CENTRIST candidate there is.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 7:20 a.m.

Why would I care about what a book says?

Mr. Huntsman has shown more than enough during his last run for office to demonstrate he has ZERO chances to secure a nomination.

• The_Laird Patchogue, NY
    Nov. 16, 2013 7:19 a.m.

This charge hardly rises to the level of a scandal. This isn't John Edwards sneaking around with a mistress while his wife is sick. It will take something more than this. And the book was written to make the authors a lot of money, which it is. Huntsman was the only sane and qualified GOP candidate in 2012 and he may be again in 2016.

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 7:29 a.m.

I voted for Huntsman twice but I've never liked him. I think he is a total phony. I'm not impressed with his daughter either. I don't think he could be elected to anything in Utah again. I really respect his father, but not Jon, Jr.

• inthebooth Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 7:44 a.m.

re: Truthseeker - is it Mark's books read like high school gossip columns? that would be the pot calling the kettle black. Interesting for her to say that.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 7:49 a.m.

"a lazy, whiny wuss" mmmm I think that is about what I would say about Johny Boy. On second thought I think I would add spoiled rich kid.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 8:21 a.m.

Huntsman hurts his own political future - no need for anyone else's help
    but it is always nice to have someone to blame

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Nov. 16, 2013 8:26 a.m.

Huntsman then was a lot like Christie now. He had one foot in each political camp. He did Romney no favors and in fact snide comments made about Mr. Romney were "blown way out of proportion" by the media and did irreparable harm to the image of Romney. This appears to have been the Shakespearian role of Mr. Huntsman to "get inside the tent" and to create turmoil and divide those inside.

• NT SomewhereIn, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 8:55 a.m.

@jr85

agreed that he'll need LOTS of luck in 2016...that, and his daddy's checkbook - again

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:01 a.m.

One has to have a political future in order for it to be damaged.
    The entire premise of this article is flawed.

Never trust a liberal over the age of three, especially a Republican.

• vance SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:03 a.m.

Huntsman Jr. is a goody two shoes type of guy. He rides on his father's laurels and money. I have to ask "What have you seen or heard of his being successful at or fighting for or against? Exactly. He was totally disliked by both parties in his term as Governor of Utah. I tried to ask him about his association and membership in the Council of Foreign Relations". He refused to talk to me about this minor detail !?. Would never discuss anything with me. He is for wide open borders with Mexico and pampers them.(His family has chemical plants there of course). There has to be more reasons than this for neither party to be interested in him. We love to wish those from Utah well in politics, but they have to earn that privilage, not demand it.

• Randelius SCOTTSDALE, AZ
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:06 a.m.

Wait- since when did Huntsman accomplish anything without help from daddy? He's more qualified than Obama, but that's not saying much at all.

• The_Laird Patchogue, NY
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:16 a.m.

@ jr85:

Agree, Huntsman was the "overqualified" candidate in the field, though President of the US is one job that nobody should be overqualified for.

To answer your question, Huntsman isn't President because the GOP cares little about governing ability or qualifications. It's ideology. The further right, the better your chances.

• TMR Los Angeles, CA
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:22 a.m.

I guess I will have to read the book. I was expecting more substance in the article that supported the "lazy-wuss" label. What I did read makes me like Huntsman even more: not interested in cozying up with the conservative press, skipping the absurd Iowa theatre, not buying an election, etc. I would vote for him.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:25 a.m.

Good looks and daddy's money do not make someone competent. Granted, Huntsman speaks well but can he make the tough decisions that need to be made to keep our country from going over the edge - I doubt it. Electing Huntsman would be a repeat of the last 5 years - all form - no substance.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:34 a.m.

Huntsman is not really a Republican. I was hoping that he would be Romney's Secretary of State, but that didn't happen. Now he is in political limbo-land with John Edwards, Newt, Perry, and others. Like a zoo, we can see them, but they are safely behind bars where they can't hurt us. I'd like to see Huntsman run as a third party appealing to liberal Democrats. He could use all of the loony ideas of Obama and Ralph Nader. He'd be perfect for an effort like this and hopefully he could attract many millions of voters who find Hillary just too conservative.

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:38 a.m.

True wusses make great democrats.....maybe Johnny boy should join his daughter on the dark side! As he will never be a GOP Candidate ever!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 10:20 a.m.

what political future???

• U-tar Woodland Hills, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 10:42 a.m.

Two words, silver spoon.

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 10:43 a.m.

The only ones I ever hear saying how good Huntsman would be as President are democrats.

THEY should nominate him.

But I'm not sure what they should tell Hillary!

• Beaver Native Garland, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 11:29 a.m.

It's hard to say that it would damage his chances of becoming President a great deal when his chances aren't that great to begin with. I don't know about his work ethic, but he doesn't portray the passion to compete on the national level.

• endoftimes ,
    Nov. 16, 2013 11:41 a.m.

Jon Jr. -Just another "dandy" progressive RINO born with a silver spoon in his mouth. Best thing he did was leave Utah. If ever he got the nomination - turns out he would mirror McCain and Mitt. I've got it....Hillary will choose him as Vice President! Problem solved Jon-Jon!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 11:59 a.m.

People seem to forget that Jon Huntsman was a very popular and successful governor in the most conservative state in the nation. Afterwards, he successfully served under the most liberal President ever.
    U
    As such, he would make a great President by being able to help minimalize gridlock in Washington. That is currently our nation's biggest political problem.

• Beaver Native St. George, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 12:06 p.m.

Tators,

He might succeed as the VP, but unless he changes his personality, he'll never make President. It's unfortunate, but since the advent of television, the Presidency has largely gone to the person with the most star power.

• kfbob SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 1:12 p.m.

I don't know what the fuss is all about. Anyone that worked fairly high up in State Gov't has known that Huntsman is a guy that is all about appearances. He was never into any details of running the State and didn't care to know them anyway. He is a frontman that did well in finishing school. He dresses well and speaks well. He's what many call ornamental.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 1:52 p.m.

Huntsman was a popular Governor in Utah because the economy was doing well and the legislature continually takes the heat for fiscal discipline. Huntsman showed up and smiled. For those of you who think Huntsman would make a great president, please enlighten us on what difficult issue he took on and succeeded while Governor of Utah?

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 1:52 p.m.

Conservatives are looking for candor. JJ's got none of that.
    He was a footnote in the Primary because he would agree with every wishy-washy position out there.
    It was no surprise that he ended up in No Labels.
    And we all know what the Bible says about things that are neither hot nor cold.

• Robert F. Smith Provo, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 2:17 p.m.

Governor Jon Huntsman was the only candidate in the last Presidential Election who was of presidential timber. He was the only candidate who was sincere and forthright, and who had good policy proposals. I admired his refusal to adopt the cynical Realpolitik approach to campaigning which characterized his opponents, and which his advisors probably demanded of him. The simple fact is that an honest man cannot become President of the United States. How sad.

• Shazandra Bakersfield, CA
    Nov. 16, 2013 3:34 p.m.

Ha! Every negative description of Huntsman was the superlative of the current golf-preferring Action-Hero (not) incumbent. I liked JJ's aloof statesman snobbery, but he was everything the gossip tome said he was.

And yet... with a Prez Huntsman we would at least get a trifle of fiscal sanity and cessation of the Apology Tour.

Yeah, I'd vote the lesser of two evils. Hill RC will give me morning sickness for any post she takes. It's all unqualified high school drama anyway. Give me a middle-isler over the present mess any day.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 8:44 p.m.

"...a lazy, whiny wuss" mmmm I think that is about what I would say about Johny Boy. On second thought I think I would add spoiled rich kid...".

That would be Which Romney.

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:30 p.m.

Once again, the GOP is flooded with alpha types, fighting amongst themselves in self-cannibalism mode. Just look back at the last GOP primaries. It's turning into further divides. The Dems were much more united and courteous to each other. In spite of Obama's failures, it looks like Hillary in 2016. LOL.

• The_Laird Patchogue, NY
    Nov. 16, 2013 9:52 p.m.

@ kfbob:

A good leader isn't in the trenches mired in details. He leads. Utah was voted Best Managed State while he was Governor, earning him a 77% landslide re-election. He also has more foreign policy experience than Cruz, Paul, Romney and a few others combined.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 11:35 p.m.

Other than a few liberal "Republicans" and the Deseret News, no one gives Jr any chance of competing for national office (especially POTUS). His views are not consistent with the Republican Party. And no, the Republican Party doesn't NEED to change its views to match Jr's. Nor is it necessary for only the Republicans to reach across the aisle. Ridiculous.

Oh, and Jr is a dirty politician. Thanks for the book.

Just change parties, Jr. You'll be happier and so will we.

• RosaMaria Laie, HI
    Nov. 17, 2013 9:42 p.m.

John Huntsman, is not cut for a leader. He has grown up in a wealthy home and was not disciplined. His dad should be ashamed of his words against Mitt Romney. I had a great respect for old Huntsman. I no longer have the same view. He knows pride went to his head and was carried away to say such a lie about Romney. Actions speak more than words. I am thankful that Mr. Huntsman has done so much for the cure of cancer, he should have stick with that and not help his son.

• Impressionist Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:44 a.m.

I happen to agree. He is a Whiny Wuss.

Whining is a $75,000 surcharge, and fines double for sniveling.

• Impressionist Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:45 a.m.

@ Red Corvette,

Hillary is competent? Tell that to Mr. Stevens.

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 8:52 a.m.

I'm not particularly a fan of Huntsman, but the book is gossipy, wrong in many ways, and really won't stand the test of time. I think it will pass.

• RFLASH Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 8:53 a.m.

They call him a wuss! does that give any hint about the authors of that book? That is a word we used back in middle school!I haven't read the book, but I am sure I wouldn't take what it has to say seriously.If you consider the Republican party right now, you can see What is going on! The fanatic zealots Attack and call him a wuss because he isn't on the rampage like they are. Because he doesn't feel a need to bash his opponents like they do! They have been doing this with other republican candidates. How can you take people seriously when they are using the word " Wuss"? They wonder why they are doing so poorly! They don't want a good candidate, they want some zealot that can not even rationalize! They have had this attitude towards Obama since he first entered office and they will do it to people within their own party to get them to conform! What kind of person do they want? This is why republicans will lose. They don't want a good candidate, they want a crazy zealot candidate

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 18, 2013 10:52 a.m.

postaledith
    Freeland, WA
    Can you name a candidate who hasn't bought their election? Obama has been the champion fund raiser. If Romney had become president there would be a rational economic growth policy that would have provided jobs for minorities rather than safety nets (subsidized welfare class of perpetual Democrat voters). Our current prosperity is based on the Fed printing $85 billion each month and ballooning our sovereign debt towards $20 trillion. That defines shambles.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Nov. 18, 2013 2:02 p.m.

And after all that work the DN did in trashing Huntsman, now they complain he doesn't have a future?

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 11:47 a.m.

Third try screen name:
    "Conservatives are looking for candor. JJ's got none of that.
    It was no surprise that he ended up in No Labels.

Candor? Like Romney's Beliefs before and after the primaries, You know the "I was for it, before I was against it candor?"

"And we all know what the Bible says about things that are neither hot nor cold."
    I don't, but I would suspect that you don't get burned and you don't get frozen out, but I'm sure it's a reference to the black and white world of conservative politics of "your for or against", "your my best friend or my worst enemy"
    I'm right your wrong, bumper sticker mentality.

• HotGlobe SAN RAFAEL, CA
    Nov. 20, 2013 3:48 p.m.

The 2012 Republican clown car was such a joy for Democrats. The funniest part was that everyone climbed up on the roof of the car for a little, except Huntsman, the one guy who had a chance of winning the general election. Since then, Republicans may have learned a little, but the complete overhaul they would need to field a winning candidate in 2016 is just not going to happen. Republicans just need to start practicing rude things to say about President Hillary.

• Mainstream Republican Washington, DC
    Nov. 23, 2013 2:48 p.m.

Jon Huntsman, Jr is the most qualified presidential candidate since Eisenhower and he was the candidate most feared by Obama re-election team.

His campaign staff was one of the worst to ever be assembled with the only exception being that of Romney's. In fact, his daughters were better than any of his hired guns.

Huntsman, a man who ran and internationalized a USD 4bn company, Ambassador to China and fluent Mandarin speaker can more than likely win the GOP primary and the presidency.

Huntsman is the only one of the GOP crowd who really stands for the proud traditions set forth by Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Eisenhower and Reagan.

I support Huntsman and I am a East Coast urban resident and non-Mormon.