Opinion

In our opinion: Movie ratings are an imperfect system

Comments

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 12:54 a.m.

Of course it's imperfect. It's subjective. With interests tugging at it from different directions. Do us a favour. Keep your kids out of the theatre. They misbehave anyway. Once they get a little older, they can try to sneak in on their own, and they're usually better behaved by then.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 16, 2013 6:14 a.m.

I don't see many R rated movies. In fact, can't remember the last time I did. But there is one I do know I saw. Many years ago my wife and I saw Schindlers List - we made an exception to our rule. And honestly I am unapologetic for doing so. Yes, it had disturbing violence. Yes it had brief nudity. But nether was done in an attempt to glamorize either. I've never seen the movie again, but I did come away with a better sense of the plight of those people at that time, and the plight of even certain groups still today. It made me more aware, and more vigilant in my dedication to standing up against those who would use prejudice against others.

Was it worth it.... I do wish it had alluded to these events more, but yes. It was history, in all its ugliness.

Do I go to R rated movies... answer... 99.5% no. But on occasion we do need to be shaken out of our sugar coated worlds and reminded there are those out there that truly need our protection - so we don't let history repeat itself.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Nov. 16, 2013 10:24 a.m.

"Movie ratings are an imprefect system"

Duh.

Which is why I've never gone by them. There are many PG-13 movies I would never see, and some R movies I'm glad I saw.
    For example: Schindlers List, Saving Private Ryan, Gran Torino, The Kings Speech, The Passion of the Christ, Slumdog Millionaire to name but a few.

• E Sam Provo, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 6:33 p.m.

Nah, just scrap it. It's no longer useful.

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Nov. 17, 2013 7:32 a.m.

We are all so naive we believe everything the critics say. Especially since some rave about a movie and others pan it. You will have to make up your own mind. The critics panned Ender's Game because the author made a politically incorrect statement of some sort about gays. The public seems to like it and other critics loved it.

• ender2155 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 10:17 p.m.

The ratings board itself is a completely flawed and monopolized board that is fully controlled by the big movie studios in an attempt to censor free speech and control independent film makers. The documentary "This Film Is Not Yet Rated" gives an excellent glimpse as to what actually takes place at the MPAA.