BYU basketball, football: Will BYU's Bronson Kaufusi join hoops team again after football season ends?

Comments

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Nov. 14, 2013 5:37 p.m.

Looking forward to seeing the big man plugging up the middle again. He knows how to bring it.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 6:06 p.m.

He should. It was fun watching him tackle people in the name of "aggressive basketball."

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 8:10 p.m.

We can only hope! I just want Bronson to play against Gonzaga one more time!

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Nov. 14, 2013 9:42 p.m.

With the tighter rules for fouls, Bronson would only last about 5 minutes before he fouled out. It was fun watching him on the court last year, but I'd much rather see him on the field. Let's give the minutes at the 4 and 5 to Worthington and Sharp or Collinsworth when we play small ball.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 11:10 p.m.

I can't agree more with CougFaninTX. Bronson needs to focus on football. He's big and strong, but he doesn't have the quick hops. He would not improve the team by joining, and this is going to be a fun b-ball team. Bronson should focus on his off season development in football. He has so much potential there.

• ManInTheMiddle SANDY, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 11:33 p.m.

with the new rules enforcement procedures, foul problems will become a bigger issue - we need the big man back - if he comes back my prediction is that he averages more than one foul per minute.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Nov. 14, 2013 11:45 p.m.

I'm pretty sure "LeBronson" wants to play with the same intensity that Coach Mendenhall wants to keep him focused only on football.

If Bronco has his way, it won't happen. But if Rose has use for him this year, and the fan outcry is loud enough, I bet it would happen.

• Louisiana Cougar Pineville, LA
    Nov. 15, 2013 3:58 a.m.

Cougars don't need him this year with the addition of Mika and Worthington -- but they sure needed him last year.

• Rational Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 8:42 a.m.

Bronson,

Your payday is in football, and frankly, your name doesn't get called there as often as it should given your size and athleticism. Spend the off-season working on football technique.

• defibman Syracuse, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 8:54 a.m.

I would just like to see him play against the u with the new rules. With all the mugging the u players tried to put on BYU last year, why not put Bronson in and do a little mugging of his own for a few minutes? I am sure if he landed on someone they would think twice about anymore rough playing.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 9:06 a.m.

BYU's basketball team is deep enough that Kaufusi may not see enough playing time to make it worth his while. But sometimes a team can use an enforcer on the court, even it he fouls a lot - heck, sometimes BECAUSE he will foul. Kaufusi's fouls are tough enough to send a message if necessary. I don't see any other meaningful role for him on this team.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 15, 2013 12:05 p.m.

He needs to stay on the grid iron, where he belongs. I lost all respect for the guy after the Gonzaga game. What a pathetic move to bring a player on the team with no talent to rough up your opponent. It doesn't say much for Rose either. Sorry BYU fans but the majority of Gonzaga fans feel the same way!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 15, 2013 12:11 p.m.

What a hypocritical fan base. If Gonzaga pulled a muscle head off the rugby team he would be public enemy no. 1. But because he plays for BYU, dirty and cheap play by a football player is not only acceptable, it's wonderful!

• Coog Fan in Spokane Spokane, WA
    Nov. 15, 2013 12:55 p.m.

Wait - Gonzaga has a rugby team?!!

Kaufusi is the latest in a proud tradition of BYU backup big men with no hops, stone hands and 5 precious fouls to give. Long live the enforcer!

• What in Tucket? Provo, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 1:24 p.m.

I can't recall Kaufausi being a dirty basketball player. He can fill up the middle if Mika and Worthington have fouled out.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Nov. 15, 2013 1:48 p.m.

Spokane Ute - are we a little sensitive?? I'm sure you loved it when Haws took his mugging last year.

• shorts Payson, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 2:16 p.m.

RE: Spokane Ute
    Spokane, WA

"What a pathetic move to bring a player on the team with no talent..." No talent Hmmm I'm guessing you have a bit more basketball talent yourself.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 15, 2013 2:51 p.m.

Tom

Yep, Kafusi pushes a button with me. Which player from the football team roughed up Haws? Everyone a Gonzaga is. Basketball player. Mark Few doesn't pull enforcers off of the grid iron. Gonzaga doesn't have to, they are a top 20 program year in and year out. Funny thing is, I don't recall another fan base complaining about Gonzagas physical play. Nor do I recall another opponent bringing in a football player against Gonzaga. I'm sorry if the truth hurts, but that's exactly what it is. Keep it real Tom.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 15, 2013 2:52 p.m.

At Tucket

Too bad you weren't able to watch the Gonzaga at BYU game last year.

• Coog Fan in Spokane Spokane, WA
    Nov. 15, 2013 4:16 p.m.

Spokane Ute:

Whoa, big fella - Dave Rose did not specifically bring in a football player against Gonzaga. Kaufusi made the team last year because BYU was short on big men. He's physical and played some crucial defense, which was important, especially with Davies using up 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes every other game.

I don't recall what happened in the game at BYU, but I do know Gonzaga brutalized Haws in the game up here. And why not? You take what the refs give you. That's been modus operandi in the WCC - case in point, Dellavadova's entire offensive arsenal revolved around his ability to lower his non-dribble shoulder and drive it into defenders, then push off with his forearm. Most WCC teams typically use physical play on defense to compensate for inferior athleticism - Gonzaga should be used to playing against that by now.

Gonzaga is a class program with great coaches, great players and a (generally) classy fan base. I think they can handle a few hard fouls at opposing arenas, especially if they're going to use similar tactics in their own building.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 4:41 p.m.

Sad Spokane Ute

Don't you have a big game to prepare for? Don't you have a basketball team to cheer on?

Nothing else to do but criticize a multi-talented BYU player. Pathetic.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 4:41 p.m.

@spokane ute

Typical utah "fan" hypocrisy. You no doubt loved it when utah played thug ball last season against BYU. Head out while you still have a shred of credibility.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 15, 2013 4:50 p.m.

At shorts

He does have talent on the grid iron, but not on the hard court. I hope that clarifies things for you. My talent has nothing to do with it, just a Gonzaga fan voicing my opinion, on a public forum.

• LetsDebate PLEASANT GROVE, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 4:57 p.m.

@Spokane Ute - we get it. Anyone can rough up Haws unless they also play football. I guess because basketball players are so small and fragile, getting mugged by them is ok, night after night, game after game. I give your whining a 9 on the BOO HOO scale.

Kaufusi certainly has good basketball skills, and he did help to counter a lot of pretty dirty basketball that was played against Haws last year. Nature of the game - good players get mugged, and many good teams have an enforcer to counter the mugging. Kaufusi's not going to be All-Conference or win awards, but he gets rebounds and is pretty solid on follow-up shots. Mika looks to be as big and solid as Kaufusi, physically, if not bigger. Are opposing fans going to cry when he gets physical?

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 15, 2013 5:18 p.m.

Every team needs a physical presence... It was indeed comforting to know that teams with thugs inside could in fact be neutralized... Gonzaga's Olynyk found that his elbowing and shoving didn't work so well with Kaufusi in the lane on both sides of the court... In fact, had cusick's 3 point shot counted towards the end of the game in Provo BYU may well have knocked the Zags into a 3 or 4 seed for the Tournament and that was primarily because of Kaufusi's presence on the Boards.

I very much hope that he plays this year, the Cougs could really use him as a role player this season when things get physical.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 15, 2013 5:24 p.m.

BYU is still one "Big" down and Kaufusi is perfect for the spot...

The Gonzaga fans are just going to have to bring their hankies to the games when they play the Cougs.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 15, 2013 5:42 p.m.

Coot fan

Fair enough, I have expressed my opinion and position. Mark Few teams may be physical, but what Kafusi did in Provo crossed the line. IMO
    I'm certainly not the lone Zags fan who feels that way. Again, I don't recall a single other coach or fan base complaining about Gonzaga playing too physical. They beat BYU twice simply because they were a better basketball team, don't kid your self. Looking forward to the Zags-BYU games this year, Gonzaga doesn't rebuild, they reload. Have a good weekend Guy. Maybe we will talk more as the season progresses.