High school football: No. 1 East beats neighbor Olympus in 4A semifinals

Comments

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 3:03 p.m.

Does anyone know why Korey Rush is not playing and/or if he will play in the championship game?

• Prep Fan 89 Draper, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 3:32 p.m.

They probably forgot to do the UHSAA paperwork. No worries, that just means he will be back for sure if that is really what happened!

• pleblian salt lake city, utah
    Nov. 14, 2013 3:42 p.m.

midway through the 2nd quarter. I have obviously not given Oly enough credit. They are hanging tough. My apologies to Oly players, I have misjudged their talent.

This East effort reminds me of Logan in 2011. East players are not hustling off-ball. It is almost as if they expect Oly to tackle themselves in fear. At this point, East is playing entitled, and Oly is doing everything they have to do to stay in this.

You can actually see East players walking around while the play is live. They aren't sharp and they aren't earning it. That said, their size and speed is still impressive.

I love high school ball.

• HasBeen Heber City, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 3:46 p.m.

Based on what I have seen so far, I am not sure they will need Korey next week. East might be watching Olympus play in the Championship.

• loganfan Logan, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 3:57 p.m.

I know that no body wants to hear this but I am so sad that Logan is sitting home today. As I'm watching the game I just keep thinking that Logan could have given East such a good game! Anyway Oly is doing pretty good. Hope they can keep it up in the second half. Not whining, just feeling bummed out:)

• Goldendomer Holladay, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 3:58 p.m.

Oh Prep Fan you are brutal! But right.

Come on Oly you can do this. I love the fight you have put up in the first half now go get your birth in the State Championship in the second.

Go Titans.

It still feels so wrong saying that.

• garrett.a.danielson Logan , UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:22 p.m.

I am watching from Utah State University in Logan Utah, and I am supporting my Alma Mater Olympus!

• B_rice Saratoga Springs, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:32 p.m.

All the way OLY. Rooting hard for you!

• podunk utah DRAPER, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:35 p.m.

the hammer is coming down on Oly now

• Jack Naylor Ogden, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:36 p.m.

Ogden Utah! Gooooo East!

• Sacjib SLC, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:39 p.m.

Korey Rush isn't playing because he is out with an injury.

• skoalson Walnut Creek , CA
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:42 p.m.

Go Rams!

• Masoodabdul46 West palm beach, FL
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:41 p.m.

My name is masood and I'm watching from west palm beach Florida watching my boys finally take state like we should have the last 2 years!!!

• Eagle78 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:54 p.m.

Yeah it is over. East pulled a Bingham basically. Relaxed in the first quarter and turned on the gas after half time.

• Chris Toronto Hauula, HI
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:53 p.m.

Chris Toronto, watching the game in Laie, Hawaii. I played for Coach Whitehead at East 2006-08, but I'm still a Leopard Fan. Go East.

• Eagle78 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 5:14 p.m.

I got to say though that if East plays like that against Timpview they are going to lose their shot at state....again. Bingham pulled the same thing earlier with that "this game is in the bag" attitude and come half time the score wasn't looking so good. When playing against top notch programs you HAVE to play hard. Even if you are the favorite to win.

East being upset again this year is entirely possible.

• razorback South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 5:49 p.m.

I think it is unfortunate that Logan did not make it to this game. Not saying the outcome with the QB was wrong, just that I think Logan was the better team and this game would have been tighter in the end, even without East sleepwalking in the first half.

But congrats to Oly on a good season and a gallant effort in this one.

• slcftball Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 10:11 p.m.

If the championship game was played today"....East 13...Timpview 34.

Timpview would have rolled East. Sloppy play by the Leopards.

Should be a game next week...but I will take the team that has won 6 of the last 9 State Championships; a team that killed East last year; and the defending State Champion---Timpview. (instead of a team that hasn't won it in 25 years).

Tbirds 21. East 16

• tharef Sandy, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 11:09 p.m.

After watching both games today I believe Timpview will take this one from East. Covey is a great QB exspecially when he's out of the pocket. If Timpview can get a nice lead, it will be hard for East to play catch up against Timpviews Defense. They're fast and very athletic.

• Ninja salt lake city, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 10:46 a.m.

@tharef speed and athleticism is what they said with olympus but what happened? East was TOO STRONG, and FAST.

• tharef Sandy, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 11:23 a.m.

@ Ninja

Who's they the writers of this paper. If so show me where they wrote it. You got to have a better argument then the one you brought. I will reword it so you will at least get it. If Timpview gets a big lead on East and can go in at half time leading. It will be hard for East to come back with the offense they run. It's not a fast pace offense at all. I'm kinda looking at this game like the 2008 Sugar Bowl. Big Bad Strong Alabama is going to run all over Little Fast explosive Utah. Alabama = East, Utah = Timpview. It's just my prediction Timpview wins this one just like they did last year. 31-28

• Big U Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 2:42 p.m.

@tharef
    I think you're comparison is a bit off. Timpview and East are both BIG and FAST so maybe an LSU vs ALABAMA comparison would work for them. Also I think either team would be in trouble if the other has a big lead going into half time. That's an obvious one. Timpview's offense is number 2 in scoring in 4a and number 1 in scoring defense. East's offense is number 1 is scoring offense per game and number 2 in scoring defense per game so both teams are capable of scoring points and coming back and both teams are capable of shutting offenses down so I wouldn't count either team out if one of them gets a two touchdown lead. Would you want to be the number one scoring team in the state if you were down in the second half? of course you would. Would you want to have one of the best defenses in the state if you were up in the second half? of course you would. If either team has a big lead at half time = not good for the other. Neither team is gonna wanna fall behind big in this game.

• MelissaJohnson Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 2:50 p.m.

Am I the only one who noticed that they put in the wrong name for our Quarterback for Oly? Connor Manning doesn't exist, but CHASE Manning and Connor HALLER are real people! I think they mixed them up because Chase is our quarterback most of the time, but when he was out because he was hurt Connor went in as our quarterback.

• WestFBking Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 3:18 p.m.

I was at this game as a neutral observer. I was impressed by the resolve of Olympus. This is a team that played clean and hard, they showed great class. There fans showed class as well. This is a program headed toward great things.

I also observed one of the more dominant teams in East. Unfortunately, they did not show the same class. Playing the starting O the entire game, even when the outcome was set. Perhaps they were trying to keep their scoring average high. I was surprised as their fans chanted throughout the game, "we hate Olympus!" There were other individual cases, as well as team cases of lack of class that made me regret feeling sympathy for them last year. I will be pulling for Timpview.

• MelissaJohnson Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 15, 2013 4:31 p.m.

WestFBking, I just wanted to point out something that my history teacher said today. East chanted "We hate Olympus!" so many times that we lost track, but never in the entire game did they chant "We love East!" Just a little thought provoking, I think.

• Ninja salt lake city, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 3:46 a.m.

East defense aint no Woods-X defense.

• Ninja salt lake city, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 4:02 a.m.

Class doesn't win games! Lombardi once said "If winning doesn't matter then why do they keep score." East vs Timpview is gonna be a good game. Both teams are good and neither of em cant afford to make mistakes and need to keep the turnovers to a minimum. Good luck to both teams.

• WestFBking Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 16, 2013 8:47 a.m.

Ninja - you're absolutely right. Good luck to the players at East beyond next week.

• mab93 Provo, UT
    Nov. 19, 2013 10:03 a.m.

@Ninja
    I agree that it will most likely be a matter of who makes the least mistakes and who wants it more, but until they play you never know for sure.

In general I don't fully agree with your first two sentences. Being classless doesn't win games either. I think Lombardi's point was more to refute the idea that "it's not whether you win or lose" and less the point that "it's how you play the game." And though I think that in most games the difference so small it is irrelevant, I think there is sometimes slight correlation to performance and class and to a smaller degree some causality.