Utah Jazz: Offensive outburst against New Orleans leads to Jazz's first win of the season

Comments

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 9:53 p.m.

Looks like the new kid in town did a good job.. Time to sit Lucas..

• ImaUteFan West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 10:00 p.m.

Finally! Fun to see these guys finally get a win.

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 10:36 p.m.

For all you Jazz" fans" that kept talking about 0-82, I guess now you can start talking about 1-81. Seriously, what a difference even a D-league point guard can make. It has been very clear that the point guard was killing us. If we start getting consistent good play at the point this team will start to grow. We still won't be very good but that day is coming. I'm pretty tough on Marvin Williams but I'm not so small that I won't give him props when he deserves them. In fact the old guys of Jefferson and Williams were instrumental in the win. Burks needs to settle down and quit making turnovers. The Jazz as a team need to hold on to the ball and hit their free throws. Great game Jazz. Keep it up!

• Tyler Ray Taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 13, 2013 11:09 p.m.

Great finish! It's amazing how a decent pg can change the team! Go Garrett! Great pick up from the Jazz. Corbin deserves credit for trusting him in the fourth quarter. Corbin also did great with lineup management. Got a long way to go but that was a win from coaches, bench and starters!

• jazz4ever San Mateo, CA
    Nov. 13, 2013 11:30 p.m.

Congrats team! With that monkey off the back, I hope the team starts playing a little less tense but with a lot more energy and hustle for all 48 mins and extend this into a win streak... unfortunately the next few games look tough...but hey...anything is possible! Good luck!

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Nov. 14, 2013 12:50 a.m.

Thank goodness, a win is a good thing.

Kudos to Jefferson, Williams, and especially the new kid Diante Garrett. To come into a game with a brand new team and virtually no practice and do as well as he did was a joy to watch.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Nov. 14, 2013 1:18 a.m.

I think Hayward stepped up during the second half...and was key contributor during the run....he is getting expensive by the day...27 and 10....if they start producing like this night in and night out...it would be exciting...Favors need to work on his free throws though...make sure he is consistent...he doesnt want to be like dwight howard...

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 5:45 a.m.

The Jazz scoring would not have happened if it wasn't for Diante Garrett. He was able to find the open man whereas Lucas could not. We have been struggling at the point guard position and were being skewered last night by Holliday and Gordon, that is until Garrett entered in. If Trey Burke could get back on the court, there would be some stability in that position. Our big men played better, but only because we had a point to feed them the ball when they were open. Let's give credit where credit is due.

• scalman Temecula, CA
    Nov. 14, 2013 5:45 a.m.

I read up on Diante Garrett. I'm surprised that I didn't hear much about him before, but Phoenix Suns fans know about him. He played for a state school and they had a very poor record, so that didn't help him getting noticed. He should be a big help going forward, since he apparently has strong point guard skills and can score some. Hey, if the Jazz win just one of their first ten, then 2-3 of their next ten, then 4-5 of their next ten...well, don't give up on this year yet.

• UkJazz W-Ton, Uk
    Nov. 14, 2013 6:05 a.m.

Oh be still my beating heart......

Not solely for the win, without NO being on a back-to-back I'm not sure we would of won.

It's for the sighting of a PG playing for the Jazz. Step forward Diante Garrett & take a bow....

Thank you v v much.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 6:34 a.m.

Great!

Just 11 more to meet my season prediction.

Reality will set in...again Friday night.

No problem.

Enjoy last nights win...

Enjoy even more the search for win #2.

Who will be the next team to lose a game to the JAZZ?

• Frankenberry Saint George, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 6:51 a.m.

Hey! Too much of this and we're going to blow our shot at the first draft pick!

• VeraLouise Sandy, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 7:33 a.m.

Wow! I'm exhausted! I did my part last night and cheered until the very end. Then I was so wired that I couldn't get to sleep. This is the fun part of being a Jazz fan. The new kid Garrett was incredible. Yay for him! More good stuff to come! Great to see Marvin have a terrific game after most everyone has been so down on him.

Go Jazzboys on Friday and onward!!!

• RoHan WP, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 8:11 a.m.

Please! for the love of Pete! cut Lucas! sign another D-Leaguer!

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 8:54 a.m.

Good to see the Jazz get a win. Despite my dire predictions (which resulted in abuse from emotional fans who don't appreciate discussion, debate, and contrary opinions), I've been an avid Jazz fan for 30+ years.

I expect the Jazz to only have 4-5 wins going into January. But (IMHO) January is the key month of the season. That's when we really see the potential of these kids.
    - Burke will be back with some games under his belt.
    - They only play 12 games in 31 days.
    - They have 8 home games with a genuine chance of being 5-3 in those games.
    - I also expect them to finally break through against Detroit and go 1-3 on the road.
    - That makes a 6-6 month.

I think that's a big success if only because the Jazz will have passed Philly's 9-win season so that black cloud will be gone. All the "worst team in NBA history" talk can disappear.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 8:57 a.m.

RoHan: The Jazz are not going to cut Lucas. He has a two-year guaranteed contract. Tinsley was an entire different situation. His contract was not guaranteed so the Jazz lose nothing by getting rid of him. If anybody goes, it will be Garrett. However, I'm not convinced the Jazz will try to go with only two PGs so Garrett may stick.

• gehelmke Bastrop, TX
    Nov. 14, 2013 8:58 a.m.

What a difference a point guard makes!

Now the hierarchy needs to continue removing dead weight. Next to go should be Lucas...He was a poor choice as the man to "school" Burke.....He dribbles way too much.....is a poor passer....shoots too much...and is a mediocre to poor shooter.....In addition, he is a poor defender.....Last night he played 15 minutes...In that time, he had zero assists, but managed to launch 7 shots....Those aren't point guard numbers......Clark can back up Garrett until Burke is ready to play....Lucas is just taking up space

The other one who needs to go is Corbin.....I suppose he's an okay person, and he may be a pretty good coach. He's in way over his head as a head coach....Some folks have the instincts to make the right moves at the right time....Corbin doesn't.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Nov. 14, 2013 9:02 a.m.

Tanking: You're doing it wrong.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 9:25 a.m.

gehelmke: Agree on Lucas. Ain't gonna happen. I was incensed when the Jazz signed him and apoplectic when I learned it was for two years. Ironically, he has done better than I expected. That should indicate how upset I was. Unless the Jazz can figure out how to trade him, we fans are stuck with Lucas for the next two years.

Agree completely on Corbin (my son still disagrees). We need him gone by Christmas. January has 19 off days that can be used for practice (counting New Year's Day). That would be huge for a new coach. With Corbin, I worry those 19 days will be completely wasted.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Nov. 14, 2013 9:24 a.m.

Garrett brought a lot of energy. I saw highlights. He has to be careful with his turnovers. He had four in a short time. He did set up Jefferson and Williams. This was a positive. Lucas was very good at one time just as Tinsley. Hopefully, Burke will be back soon. Kanter, Favors, and Hayward are playing very well. However as the song goes, "it takes five".

• Kaladin Greeley, CO
    Nov. 14, 2013 9:43 a.m.

Trey will add a lot to this team and I expect to get around 20 wins. The more young guys play the more fun it will be to watch the Jazz play and the more it will do for the future. If Corbin doesn't get this he has to go. We need to develop the youngsters, not play vets.

• RoHan WP, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 9:59 a.m.

Please! cut your losses now! I can;t watch another minute of Lucas! I threw up in my mouth last night watching him play - twice!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 14, 2013 10:30 a.m.

The Pelicans must be really bad!

• Tyler Ray Taylorsville, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 10:37 a.m.

What did Corbin do wrong last night? Give him some credit. His lineup manangement in the second half was fantastic. His coaching has angered me in seasons past, but last night he did great!

• jazzer St. George, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 12:45 p.m.

We looked better last night but the 2 things that are making us get blown out are turnovers and FT%. You fix those, I think we will be competitive. I am not saying win the games, but at least stay close giving us chances down the stretch to win. The d league point guard showed alot, lets hope he goes on a Jeremy Lin type run.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 3:00 p.m.

Coleman51 : I agree with you completely, Garrett was great and made the baskets Favors and Kanter got so much easier, Malone is the second leading scorer in the history of the NBA because Stockton was such a good passer, if Garrett can continue to see the floor and make passes like he did last night Jazz fans (including me, will love him), but Kanter and Favors will love him the most. You could see that his timeing and vision were great, he created great angles, his passes were to good spots and he was unselfish, making the extra pass. Let's hope he can keep making good decisions and not get selfish.

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 3:08 p.m.

As much as I want to see the young kids improve and develop confidence, I hope we finish in the bottom 3 and get a top 3 pick in next yrs draft. Loved how Jabbari, Randle & Wiggins looked and I hope we can get one of those kids, getting a top 3 pick in next yrs draft will go along ways to making this team a top contender. Hopefully even the Warriors pick will also bring a player that will at least be a good rotation player if not better. This next draft is staked.

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:07 p.m.

Here is what keeps me excited about the Jazz.
    Assuming we resign Hayward, I like the talent of the core 4. Still all a little wet behind the ears but lots of playing time this year to develop.

Trey Burke, college player of the year and picked as the most likely rookie of the year before the season started. Hard to evaluate because of the injury but lots of potential.

Jeremy Evans, developed a nice jumper it appears and I think has a chance to take a giant leap forward once he gets past the injury.

Robert Gobert, has shown glimpses of being able to add what Mark Eaton gave the Jazz. Hopefully will get a lot of playing time in a down year for the team.

Raul Neto, looks to be a great pass first pg coming to the team next year.

A high lottery pick coming next year that could be a potential superstar

Another 1st round pick next year that could also be a very nice player in a deep draft.

continued-

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:12 p.m.

continued-

Next year there are 174 free agents, more than doubled what was available this year. We signed Favors to more money and will need to see if we can sign Hayward. I assume the 3 Golden State players will not be resigned next year and Marvin Williams contract expires freeing up another $7.5 million. We will have cap space and really with what we already have only need to sign a free agent or 2. We can't entice the cream of the crop but because there are so many free agents we should have a great shot at some of the 2nd tier solid veterans that will be available. Taken all together, I have to be excited about the future.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Nov. 14, 2013 4:21 p.m.

@Captain L

I agree and i am leaning towards Jabari...rather than wiggins right now....Wiggins is good and could be great...but i can see a lot of T-Mac...in the sense that...he is sometimes not interested...and if we get a late pick in Isaiah Austin or James McAdoo with the Warriors pick...we would be deep in potential talent...and it looks like we got our 3rd PG in Garret...Burke, Neto, Garret...if we get Jabari...Burke Hayward Jabari Favors Kanter would be a nice starting five...a back up of Gobert Austin/McAdoo Burks Garret Neto....My apologies for getting ahead of myself...and i know that we should at least wait till the season is over and the ping pong balls have bounced....but if this is what Lindsey has envisioned...its pretty good...the problem now is....how to keep the team intact for a lot of years...

• Captain L Provo, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 5:16 p.m.

Kakashi: At this point I agree, I'd take Jabari but I'll wait until May or later to be more definitive. With the Warriors pick we could have a possibility of McDermott, McGary, MacAdoo, Dekker, Grant, Poythress , Hood, and several others. Another point is that if we finish with the worst record, we would get the 31st pick and in this draft even that pick could be a keeper. Not often losing is OK but this year is an exception as long as the players don't get used to it.
    I love Randles motor and drive to win, I love Wiggins athleticism but Parker is the most skilled , some compare Parker to Melo, I kinda like the comparison of Grant Hill/Melo combined. Parker is a better team player than Melo.

• shaybo Richfield, UT
    Nov. 14, 2013 8:01 p.m.

@JBQ, he had 4 turnovers but most were of the risk reward category and not just stupid errant passes, that's more excusable. This kid is not a great shooter but I love the way he distributes the ball and runs the offense.

• Kakashi Tokyo, Japan
    Nov. 14, 2013 10:44 p.m.

@Captain L

i compare Jabari to Paul Pierce...but with better handles...and we still have the rights to Ante Tomic...which we could package in a trade if he really doesnt want to play...