Utah State football: Aggies hang on for 28-24 victory over UNLV

Comments

• RSLfanalways West Valley, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 11:45 p.m.

Well at least one Utah football team won this week. I do hope to hear from Stang since it has been awhile and I do miss his comments. But on a side note SUU did beat Weber by 6 points. So to be correct at least 2 Utah teams won this week.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Nov. 9, 2013 11:58 p.m.

Go BYU!!!
    Go USU!!!

• DRay Roy, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 2:00 a.m.

Utah State's high level of play is a great thing, happy they won, and are continuing to play great.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Nov. 10, 2013 5:58 a.m.

@Reno Cougs Fan 68,

"Congrats to the Aggies for coming back and getting bowl eligible after losing CK!!! Now if only Utah could win 2 of their last 3 games!!! A third tier bowl game is much better then moral victories and close calls and sitting at home watching the other teams that you beat go bowling!!!"

Don't loose faith yet! There are three games left for the Utes and two of those are very winnable. I still hold out hope they can do it! I want Utah's big three schools to all go bowling. It's so much more fun than moral victories and sitting at home as you said.

Go Cougars! Go Utes! Go Aggies!

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 10:09 a.m.

We were super fortunate to win this game. I underestimated UNLV, and Jojo Natson saved our bacon.

On the bright side, our under-performing lines will have two weeks to stew over their poor performances and get fired up for CSU.

Go Aggies! Win out!

• Deamon North Logan, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 1:45 p.m.

And USU also pounded SU last year with the best player SUU has ever had. I see no relevance in either statement to yesterday's game.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 2:47 p.m.

@Stang08

A few years ago is a few years ago. Teams change every year and throughout the year. Do you actually watch college football much? I'm not really sure what your point is. A few years ago, the Utes lost to UNLV in a shut out in Las Vegas. It was a few years ago. Who cares?

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 2:52 p.m.

USU beat a really bad UNLV team. The QB for UNLV was horrible; overthrowing, missing receivers and not managing the clock. Utah State had a few good plays and DeMartino played well. It was like backyard football. It was entertaining because it was so sloppy, more like sandlot than college football.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 5:04 p.m.

@New to Utah

Did you watch the game? Many of Herring's throws were dead-on long bombs. He only played poorly in the final stretch. (lucky us)

We won because we made one more play than they did.

It was entertaining, if maybe just a bit more than I would have liked. The cardiac kids made a return! I thought they were gone after 2011.

• AggieForever RIVERTON, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 6:01 p.m.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 6:12 p.m.

Congrats to Utah State on a good win and bowl eligibility.

Keep it going and hopefully SDSU can beat Boise, USU will win out and then play Fresno in the MWC championship game.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Nov. 10, 2013 7:59 p.m.

AggieForever,

"Can someone from the Deseret News explain to me how the AGGIES win a game and Utah and byu lose and our article is on page 9 after jazz (and they lost too),prep volleyball championships, 2 pages about byu's loss, 2 pages about utah's loss, other college football teams...and then the AGGiES get one third of a page. Boy, that always bugs me!"

I don't live in Utah but I suspect it has something to do with readership members perhaps? If the majority of subscribers to the Deseret News are Jazz, Utes and Cougar fans, that may be a reason. Then again, maybe DN is bias against the Aggies? I could be wrong, dead wrong!

• AggieForever RIVERTON, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 9:07 p.m.

thebigsamoan,

I'm sure you're right, but it still bugs me.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 10:19 p.m.

Bigsamoan is correct. DesNews readership base, in order, is:

-BYU (by far the biggest part of readership)
    -Utah
    -Utah Jazz
    -Everybody else (USU, Weber, SUU, high school, etc.)

It is what it is, but our coverage has improved over the last couple of years, so I'm happy for that.

• A1994 Centerville, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 10:26 p.m.

@AggieForever

Agreed. It's almost like the Deseret News forgot that Big Blue played a game until they were perusing their espn app and realized they better throw something in the paper about the Aggies.
    A little more coverage would be nice.

• downunder south jordan, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 8:37 a.m.

Talking Aggies how about that big basketball win over Southern Cal!

• aggfan77 Shire, 00
    Nov. 11, 2013 10:05 a.m.

Downunder! No doubt a good win and good weekend to be an Aggie. Even though there is never any coverage. I have seen more coverage about a GEUY DUCK (something like that) then anything about USU beating USC! Even if USC is going to have a down year they are still stacked with top athletes!

Oh well! We get more coverage when we beat their favorite. IE BYU, Utah.

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 10:35 a.m.

Stinks, but just look at the comment numbers on each article. I mean Chris B helps out by posting 5x per Utah article (at least in the beginning of the year, lulz) but other than that there's only about 20 Aggie fans who comment on here.

They shine the light where the advertising dollars lead.

• AF_Aggie North Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 11, 2013 12:35 p.m.

The coverage is less than ideal, but better than the Tribune. Not alot of options for good Aggie news.

• RSLfanalways West Valley, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Well when USU goes to the Las Vegas or Poinsettia bowl then maybe the news will give USU attention. It will help if Ute's dont go to a bowl game and BYU goes to the same one they been going to for some years.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 1:24 p.m.

@A1994

Yes I do and you clearly missed my point. Which was, the aggies could barely beat a bad UNLV team. SUU destroyed UNLv a few years ago. We both did it but it was easier for my guys. That should give you a hint as to the talent of each team.

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 4:14 p.m.

USU destroyed SUU the last time they met. 38-3. I think that makes more sense of a comparison between SUU and USU than does the 2011 result of UNLV vs. SUU.

However, if you want to blindly persist in your categorical rejection of anything good related to USU; or at the very least provide a backhanded, passive-aggressive insult shrouded by a fake compliment, then by all means. In such case the SUU matchup with UNLV from 2011 clearly indicates that SUU is the better team than the 2013 Aggies.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 4:52 p.m.

Stang0 conveniently left out the drubbing Utah State gave UNLV last year. Incidentally, that's the same year that Utah State totally embarrassed SUU and their "NFL QB." So, if we're going into past history...

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 4:51 p.m.

Correction, USU over SUU in 2012 by a final score of 34-3, not 38-3 as I said in my previous post.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 5:08 p.m.

UNLV has been bad the last 3 years, but they've made some very noticeable improvement this season. I give them props for almost beating us. They wanted it badly. They should be able to go to a bowl. Their fanbase deserves it.

@Mars

Utah State shellacked the T-birds last season to the tune of 34-3... and they had a pro quarterback!!! Don't pay any attention to that troll. It just isn't worth it.

When the Ags and the T-birds meet again in 2016, I bet it will be just as ugly for SUU as it was last season, too.

• Aggie84 Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 11, 2013 5:10 p.m.

Do we really care about the local newspaper coverage? We get all the national attention we need. Almost every week we are on ESPN or CBS Sports. We get a lot of national love. That will produce more recognition for the Aggie program than what any local newspaper could ever accomplish.
    The Aggie program is on the rise whereas the other two programs are were they have been for many years. Three consecutive bowl games and hopefully this year not in Boise. SD or Hawaii would be nice.

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 5:28 p.m.

@Aggie84

I (perhaps incorrectly) assume that the readership reflects the general attitudes toward USU football. I think in order to maintain our newly found success, we are going to have to make sure we can swing recruits over. In that respect, yes, I do care that we get some local attention. It may very well be that the readership and commentators of the Deseret News has absolutely diddly squat to do with the general perception of Utah State football amongst blue-chip recruits, but as I'm completely disconnected from the latter, the attention the in-state media gives us is as good a barometer as any to little old me.

As for Utah and BYU, I think they're doing pretty well, even if they aren't rising. Both are still better programs than we are, for now. I would trade places with them - quality of program wise, I don't want to be independent ever - in a heartbeat.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:34 p.m.

@Sambone

Please answer this. How could you possibly know when the Birds meet the Aggies again? I don't even think the two AD's know the scheduling that far in advance.

• Aggie 4 Life North Ogden, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 8:17 a.m.

@Stang08

Actually USU plays SUU in 2015 not 2016. Their are websites out there where once a game gets scheduled they post it and keep track of who is playing who. Due to Desnews rules I can't post the website but if you search for your Thunderbirds and Future College Football Schedule you should be able to find it.

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 10:39 a.m.

Ah, we do play SUU in 2015. My bad.

I guess I got them confused with Idaho State or Weber or something. Most of those BigSky teams are basically the same to me.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 12:34 p.m.

@Aggie 4 life

The first part of your comment should be directed toward Sambone, not me. That website probably doesn't exist.

@Sambone

That's where you are wrong. What a shocker. The BigSky is the premeire FCS conference and there is quite a difference between SUU/Weber State/and Idaho State.

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 1:36 p.m.

I love how you can google "FB Schedules" and find a website almost entirely the same as the search terms and find it.

It's a very useful and real thing that most certainly exists.

• RSLfanalways West Valley, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:06 p.m.

USU has been getting a lot more attention nationally. It helps that The Spectrum started it and now the football team is getting more of it. Just this year we were on CBS for a football game. We dont receive a lot of attention in Utah but that will change when USU receives the best bowl game out of Utah football teams.

• Aggie 4 Life North Ogden, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:34 p.m.

@Stand08

The website does exist and if I could post the website here I would but the desnews won't let me. If you don't believe me just try it. Just google the school and FBSchedules then click on the link. What are you afraid to try..... Afraid I'd prove you wrong!

@Mars_

Thanks! You know the website I'm talking about.

• Aggie 4 Life North Ogden, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 2:34 p.m.

@ Stang08

One more thing. The reason I directed the comment at you was to prove the AD's do plan out their football schedules 3 or more years in adance for their pre-season games which you apparently didn't believe in your comment.

• Aggie238 Logan, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 3:41 p.m.

@Aggie 4 Life

And if you're BYU, they schedule games 10 years in advance. :) (They have games with USC and Boise State "scheduled" for 2023, and games with Stanford as far out as 2025)

I wouldn't be surprised if BYU has games scheduled in the 2030's by next year!

• Sambonethegreat Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 3:45 p.m.

I love how Richard keeps trying to talk to me even though I haven't read a single post from him since late September. Comedic gold.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 4:45 p.m.

@Aggie 4 life

I'm not afraid but it's a general rule of mine not to believe what the aggies say. So I'm pretty sure it doesn't existt.

@Sambone

You admitted yourself you didn't get the reference. So why are you using it when I've said that has never been my name? Another thing, if you haven't read a single post from me since September, how do you know if I'm talking to you? You really need to work on that buddy. I can do better than that.