Utah football: Utes QB Travis Wilson throws two picks in final quarter, ASU wins 20-19

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 2:34 p.m.

Second drive looking much better.

Lets get this done Utes.

Win the turnover battle and we win this game

Utah 32
    ASU 30

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 2:38 p.m.

Gusty call by Whit!

And as usual good call!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 2:40 p.m.

Touchdown Utes!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 2:47 p.m.

Seriously, what a gutsy call by Whit.

Take 3 points off the board.

Pays off with 7.

We ARE going to win this game, I can feel it!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 2:49 p.m.

Already winning the turnover battle!

Like I said!

Mark it Down - Utah wins

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 3:07 p.m.

Wilson running roughshed over this defense. Very impressive.

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 3:08 p.m.

Win the turnover battle = win the game

We're winning the turnover battle and winning the game.

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 3:15 p.m.

Utes absolutely manhandling ASU right now. When Utah is playing like this, we're as good as any team in the nation. We just need consistency.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 3:16 p.m.

I think what we're learning this week is that Utah and BYU are very good at home & stink on the road. Great teams play well regardless of whether they are at home or on the road. Both programs haven't figured that out yet, obviously.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 3:18 p.m.

Where has this running game been all year?

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 3:39 p.m.

ASU averages almost FIFTY points a game

Halftime: 7

Utah absolutely controlling this game.

Second top 25 win of the season.

And the ONLY top 25 wins for any Utah team this season.

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 3:43 p.m.

"Utah doesn't stand a chance against Stanford"

"Utah doesn't stand a chance against ASU"

"Utah doesn't stand a chance against Oregon"

Keep it up doubters

• ekute Layton, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 3:48 p.m.

Cougsndawgs,

I think your watching the byu game and assuming that Utah is getting their butts kicked too.

9-7 Utah, halftime.

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 3:51 p.m.

Things I called at the beginning of the year:

1. Utah would beat usu
    2. Utah would beat byu
    3. Utah would split Stanford/Oregon
    4. Utah would go 7-5 or 8-4

Check, Check, Check, and on our way to Check

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 3:55 p.m.

Guys looking great today. Crazy to think that even without a passing game we're winning this game. But maybe that's the game plan with our interception problem. Asu cannot stop this running game right now. I think we're going to pull this one out. Hashtag "huge win #2"

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 3:56 p.m.

Utah seems to be playing at the level of every FBS opponent they've had this year (except USC where they forgot to adjust for Kiffin no longer being coach). It would be nice to have more than 10 passing yards at the half though...

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 4:05 p.m.

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 4:24 p.m.

Total domination!

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 4:24 p.m.

55 yard bomb! I love the Pac12 Utes!!

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 4:25 p.m.

Touchdown!

I TOLD you we would win.

Go Utes!

• TamaBYU Provo, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 4:27 p.m.

I enjoy watching this game better than watching BYU!

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 4:32 p.m.

game OVER!

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 4:36 p.m.

Go Utes!!

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 4:51 p.m.

Trevor Reilly has turned into the BEST linebacker in the state of Utah. Guy is a BEAST

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:04 p.m.

Utes win, byu loses.

Perfect day of football

• Ironmomo Ogden, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:24 p.m.

Wow what an anemic offense. The defense played well, but you can't expect them to play the whole game. Too bad for the Utes.

• Pops NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:28 p.m.

Looking at the comments one might think the Utes won the game. One might, however, be wrong.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:27 p.m.

Dang!

• Ironmomo Ogden, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:29 p.m.

Another 5-7 season is looming....

• ute94 Corona, CA
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:29 p.m.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:29 p.m.

Nothing ever changes.

Utah has no offense. No receivers that can make a play. Offensive line that gets beat EVERY play. Play calling is not to win. Again and again and again and again. Year after year after year. We fans complain about the same things over and over and over and over. Travis had what? 6 completions? Wow. Just wow. I am normally patient and supportive of Utah, but the absolute pathetic offense is just incredible.

Good grief. I would rather have Jon Hays right now.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:39 p.m.

Kyle Whittingham is a fantastic coach. Utah fans just need to stay the course.

• Cool Cat Cosmo Payson, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:44 p.m.

Even as a BYU fan first, this was a really tough loss to swallow. Utah snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, and came away with another frustrating loss. Fans of college football across Utah had a rough outing today. Not sure where Utah goes from here...

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:44 p.m.

I predict that Utah will defeat the Oregon Ducks in Eugene. The Ducks are emotionally vulnerable right now.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:47 p.m.

It was over when....Chris B said "mark it down".

• Ashamed Ute Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:50 p.m.

Kyle should learn from Bronco's mistakes and bench Wilson.

• Cougar on The Hill Midvale, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:49 p.m.

It was a hard fought game for utah. Tough loss. I'm hoping that the Utes can finish strong and become bowl-eligible; they can beat Washington State and Colorado.
    As for KW, he's been a good enough coach. He hasn't been perfect that's for sure. But I think he'll keep his job until the A.D. Chris Hill leaves. I see him trying to retire on a good note (i.e. new facilities), so I think KW's job will be relatively safe until Chris Hill retires.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:51 p.m.

I have been a strong supporter of Kyle Whittingham all along and I think he is a solid coach but I think Utah should take a long look at finding a new coach.

The Ute defense was stellar AGAIN. Utah should have beat USC and ASU going away.

The offense is worse than awful. I mean Wilson (hand or no hand) has completed 13 balls in three games. He has almost as many INTs as completions. Wilson was 3 for 9 against Arizona, 5 for 14 against USC and 5 for 17 today. 13 completions in three games! Really? Although it's obvious the hand is the main culprit, Wilson is still not the dynamic player he was the first half of the year and he has lost his confidence.

Whittingham has made a shambles of his QB situation for the last 5 seasons. At this point I don't care if Utah loses Travis Wilson by giving someone else the job. Conner Manning, Brandon Cox, and maybe Chase Hansen after his mission need to be the focus.

This team is snake bitten but they have terrible offensive chemistry. Chow, Johnson and even Erickson can't change that. It's Whittingham.

Nov. 9, 2013 5:54 p.m.

I think Utah fans should stop "predicting" anything. Utah lost because they are a terrible team. ASU dominated them. I predict DN isn't going to post this because they've denied all my other ones. Must be a ute fan censoring them today. If it were BYU losing, Utah fans would be dancing all over the loss and rubbing it in. In fact, how about I go check on that.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:55 p.m.

Personally, I think Whittingham deserves a contract extension - win or lose.

• Todd_i Midway, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 5:55 p.m.

Go Utah State. Somebody needs to make the state's football programs look good.

• ute94 Corona, CA
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:00 p.m.

EdGrady, first you're crazy to think Utah will beat Oregon, they won't even come close. Second Whittingham is a great Mountain West coach, he is NOT a pac-12 coach. Utah needs a coach that can have Utah competing for the Pac-12 south year in and year out. Look at USC, Oregon, Boise State, Stanford, Arizona State! Todd Graham has made that program relevant again. The interim coach at USC has them at their best this season, Oregon is still dominant even after the loss with first year head coach, Boise State will never be the same because of Petersen.

Before USC fired Lane Kiffin they were awful, but Orgeron has changed something in just a couple of games, Stanford's program flipped with a new coach, Oregon made relevant with Kelly. The coach is so critical and Whittingham has proven he is not the right guy for the job. If he was a great coach we wouldn't be scrapping for bowl eligibility at this point in the season, Chris Hill needs to recognize this now and make a change before Utah football goes down the toilet.

Nov. 9, 2013 6:04 p.m.

"Utah doesn't stand a chance against Stanford"

"Utah doesn't stand a chance against ASU"

"Utah doesn't stand a chance against Oregon"

Keep it up doubters

Oh don't worry, we will.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:04 p.m.

Another heart breaker. On the bright side Utah is definitely proving they are competitive in the PAC 12. Next year some of these close losses will start to be wins. It takes time to get up to speed and the Utes are oh so close.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:05 p.m.

Shultz must be the worst QB in nation if he can't beat out Travis "Pick City" Wilson. That's four games that Wilson has lost due his name inability to pass. We have legit defense but just as bad offense.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:09 p.m.

Look, I like Wilson but anyone would be a better option right now. Adam Shultz might not even be Jon Hays but any Joe Schmoe with any talent should be better than Wilson has been the last three games.

The QB situation with Wynn and Wilson has wrecked the program. Recruiting would pick up if you make Erickson head coach for two years or so. He could work the offense with Johnson. If Whitt would be willing to step aside and coach the defense with Sitake unless the latter becomes a head coach elsewhere, then Whitt could jump back in when Erickson leaves.

I sound crazy but changes in some fashion have to be considered. This is a disgrace.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:13 p.m.

Whitt and Wilson are the new Bronco and Riley

• JayDee West Jordan, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:14 p.m.

What is more embarrassing: the first 17 of 24 posts by the same "fan" or the outcome of the game.

Tough final quarter. Better luck against the Cougars in your conference in two weeks. That will determine whether you are bowling or not.

• SI SANDY, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:14 p.m.

Unbelievable that after 3 years of being a member of the PAC12 and the improved recruiting that was supposed to bring, the best we have come up with is a QB like this one.

• OhioCougar Madison, Ohio
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:14 p.m.

Lesson: don't comment on an article until after the game.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:16 p.m.

Bummer ending. I thought it looked like the DB bobbled the INT on the second-to-last drive, but what can you do? The game plan was good enough to win, but not to come from behind in the fourth quarter. A lot of good to build on from this game, but it has to be disheartening to lose a game in that fashion.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:19 p.m.

Our dreams of going to the New Mexico bowl just got squashed! I'm sorry but Travis Wilson is horrible!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:18 p.m.

At cougar sundevil good win u beat us fair n square

• 32843 PROVO, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:31 p.m.

Today, I decided to go see Enders Game rather than watch in frustration as Utah's two top teams struggled pathetically against superior programs. When I got back and turned on the TV I saw BYU was losing but was hugely surprised that Utah led 19 - 7 in the fourth quarter. I'm thinking, good on Utah. Showing all the nay sayers what kind of athletes they have. So, I tuned into in another game believing the Utah game was over because Utah's D was incredibly dominant. If ASU was going to do anything at all they would have done it by now. Nothing more to see here. When I switched back 10 or so minutes later it was 20-19 ASU with 1:20 or so left and Wilson had just thrown an intercetion. What the heck, man! How does that happen?

• 32843 PROVO, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:32 p.m.

i listened to the commentary on the post game show and the soul focus was how the Utah coaching staff had botched the end game. I don't know how well received my next comment is going to be, but, there has been a lot of talk by U fans, coaches and the media that it will take several recruiting classes before Utah can build the depth it needs to begin to compete week in and week out in the PAC-12. I'm thinking that before the U can really begin winning regularly in the PAC-12 they need to also have a coaching staff capable of coaching in the PAC-12. It's just a thought, but, maybe Whitt needs to be replaced with a coach that understands what is required to win in the bigs.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:37 p.m.

The defense is awesome, whatever Kalani Sitake is doing is working.

The problem is our offense, for 3 straight years. The offense in the 4th quarter was horrendous, all we needed was 4-6 first downs, we got one on a penalty.

We were told this off-season that we had depth at QB and RB. It turns out we don't.

I don't understand how Wilson gives us the best chance at winning.

6 for 21, with 2 to the other team. That's not horrible, that's crying to be benched.

Is Shultz really that bad?

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:38 p.m.

gdog3finally
    West Jordan, Utah

-------

If Kyle can't even find a backup QB to replace a D2 talent like Hays then he's in trouble.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:46 p.m.

Sorry about the tough loss. Utah is a good team at home.
    Hopefully next week they can improve.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:51 p.m.

I think the fans will be calling for Whit's head if the Utes can't scrape together two more wins. I don't think Whit is the wrong man for the job. I think the fans need to grow up and develop some patience. The PAC has never had so many good teams. Utah is still developing to PAC-12 caliber. And it will take another two years to pull it off.

• oaklandaforlife SLC, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:55 p.m.

Utah blew the game - plain and simple. Catch the football, make tackles 10 yards in the backfield. "O" line - do your gosh darn job - you got beat, and that cannot happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:58 p.m.

I don't know which hurts more, the team snatching defeat from the jaws of victory or the obnoxious fans who don't know when to zip it. I'm not a Ute fan but I think those fans that started talking trash earlier jinxes Utah's chances. OhioCougar is right. Don't comment until after the game is actually over. I wonder how they feel now. As the saying goes, "Pride cometh before the fall!" It always does without fail! Mark it down? Ugh!

Nov. 9, 2013 7:00 p.m.

Oatmeal,

By the standards that I hear some people say (while disrespecting ASU), they say it took ASU 30 years to develop into where they are in the PAC 12 (which they are wrong though. We stunk only when we had Erickson. Coincidence? I think not). So, runnin' (pun intended) the numbers, it will be 2040 before utah does anything noteworthy in the PAC. SO I agree with you. Your fans are going to need some patience, but your two years might be a bit off.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Nov. 9, 2013 7:01 p.m.

People forget how poorly ASU and UA did the first few years in the PAC back in the 70's.
    Give it time.

Chris B. - that coach you're so enamored with just got beat by my kids' high school coach in Texas today. Mark it down buddy. :)

Seriously - better luck to the U in their next games, they're capable of winning in the PAC. It'll come, chin up fans !

Nov. 9, 2013 7:01 p.m.

btw,

Classy comment Spokane Ute. I wouldn't even be here rubbing it in if it weren't for ute fans posting on BYU boards and the overall disrespect ASU has been given by the ute fan base as a whole.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 9, 2013 7:12 p.m.

Again!

Pride precedes the fall!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 9, 2013 7:15 p.m.

Wisconsin has class, and Max Hall was right!

Don't count your chickens till they hatch.

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 7:17 p.m.

Well, I hear that Harline is still open. How is it to lose right at the end, Ute partisans who can't berate BYU enough? Is that painful or what?

I think your best chance in eh PAC 12 was the first year when the path to the Inaugural PAC 12 Championship game had everything line up if you just beat Colorado at home. And you blew it royally. Seriously, who would want to play for Utah when they have won one PAC 12 game this year when their opponent obviously over-looked them? (And even then, it was barely a victory as a 4th and 6 pass failed at the end of the game....it wasn't 'better than sliced bread.")

I bet you don't go bowling this year (as Orchard Lanes is already booked for the holiday season) and can be home for the holidays watching everyone else on the big screen. Isn't that good?

Yes, the Y lost today but at least it was on the road to a much better team.

(Glad I 'marked it down,' too. I hope I can mark it down with similar results at least twice more this year.)

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 7:17 p.m.

christina and all of your other screen names. LOL!

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 7:30 p.m.

thebigsamoan - love your posts.

ASU has a very good team and looks to be building for the future. Credit goes to them.

The Utes have been in the game to the very end against three very good Pac-12 teams. Utah has to learn who to finish these games.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Nov. 9, 2013 7:34 p.m.

Team A beats Team B. Fans of Team B are euphoric whenever Team A loses -- making their loss to Team A even worse -- but they are euphoric nevertheless.

Huh?

Nov. 9, 2013 7:38 p.m.

Just got done checking the PAC 12 South standings. ASU is on top. Utah is number 5 because Colorado hasn't had a chance to beat utah at home yet.

• niners SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 7:41 p.m.

Here is Utah's problem right now... When the game is close late in the game, the offense starts playing not to lose. They will run the ball 3 times in a row and punt. This has been the case since Kyle Whittingham took over in 2005. But, not only does the Utah offense start playing not to lose, the defense goes into prevent D. This does absolutely nothing, and the opposing offense tears it apart and scores. This same exact thing has happened countless times since Kyle took over. He has been the head coach 9 years now, if he hasn't learned this yet, he never will! If Utah doesn't make a bowl game this year, make a coaching change plain and simple.

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 7:46 p.m.

Tough loss. People need to wake up and realize we took ranked ASU, UCLA, and Oregon State down to the last second, and we are the ONLY team in the nation to beat Stanford. Yes, there have been many games we didn't close out, but I think its short sighted to blame that all on the coaches. In 2008 in our BCS season, we had 3-4 games we barely won. This year we've had several we barely lost. It just goes that way sometimes.

Whittingham is still a top 20 coach in the nation.

And who BETTER would we get? No one. I'm fully behind Whit

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Nov. 9, 2013 7:56 p.m.

Whittingham is a good coach who is coaching in a tough league. Utes are still building. I agree with "Where is Hadley", Utah will get their wins. Tough losses no doubt but in a year or two, they will figure it out. If they don't then they don't belong. Only time will tell but, get a Quarterback who will take them there. Way too many interceptions this year. Wilson is not as good as advertised.

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 9:06 p.m.

christopher b i don,t know where you get your information from ,i think it,s wishful thinking on your part, utah does not have the only top 25 win of the season BYU beat #15 Texas at the time so b4 you post get your facts straight

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 9:06 p.m.

This loss really hurts our chances of a National Championship this year.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 9:10 p.m.

Where Wilson's problems started with his hand, they are now primarily between his ears. Nowhere near the same confidence he had in the comeback against Oregon State. Sometimes the best way to play great as well as confident is to start with just playing confident, regardless of the results; have a short memory. Sean Mannion threw 31 INTs in his first two seasons as the starter (even with being injured and replaced midway through last year)! This year he looks like Peyton Manning. Travis is still young. Sure, it'd be great see him put up Mariota-like numbers, but he's not Mariota, these things can take some time.

• Christopher B Ogden, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 9:33 p.m.

moderateinmagna,

Texas is not ranked.

They are not a top 25 team. If they were, they'd be ranked.

Do you think USC was the best team in the nation last year? After all, they were ranked #1.

LOL

The only rankings that matter are the current rankings. Again, should USC have been given the national title trophy last year instead of Alabama?

Nope!

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Nov. 9, 2013 9:44 p.m.

ASU and the UofA have struggled mightily since joining the PAC 10. Why would Utah fans think they would be any different? Arizona has twice as many people as Utah and only has 2 D-1 schools instead of 3 like Utah. Utah has zero advantages recruiting outside of Utah over other PAC 12 schools.

ASU has been to the Rose bowl twice in 37 years and Arizona has never been there so the Utes might go to the Rose Bowl once every 25-30 years or so.

Time for a reality check Utah - you are a decent d-1 school in a small state, not a PAC 12 powerhouse and you never will be except once in a blue moon.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 10:27 p.m.

Chrissy: "The only rankings that matter are the current rankings."
    And Utah is where in the current rankings?

Question: Since almost nobody could see the game because it wasn't on a real channel, I'm just curious, does Chris B and the MUSS rush the field after moral victories too?

Question 2: Chrissy, you still marking down Wilson for the Heisman?

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Nov. 9, 2013 10:34 p.m.

@cougarsundevil - you state that you wouldn't post all the trash talk if U fans weren't on the Y boards ... way to justify your behavior. Do you tell your kids it is OK to shoplift because other people steal things? I guess you are allowed to drive while under the influence because other people do the same thing. After all, two wrongs must make a right.

p.s. ASU didn't dominate the game. They earned a hard fought win because Utah couldn't generate any offense in the 4th quarter but a team that dominates isn't behind 19-7 in the 4th quarter.

Nov. 9, 2013 10:44 p.m.

Christopher B,

Congratulations, you beat Stanford. You'll be the only team to beat Stanford who didn't go to a bowl game. In fact, you'll be one of the few teams in the PAC 12 that get to watch every bowl game from the comforts of your own couch. Utah will be right there with the likes of California and Colorado. Quite the nice company to keep. Merry Christmas!

Nov. 9, 2013 10:57 p.m.

CO Ute

I know it must be difficult to argue how "good" your team is when you don't go to bowl games and lose to almost everyone (yes, except Stanford who overlooked you), but comparing sports banter to theft and DUI? Let's keep this out of left field.

I'll consed that Utah fought a hard fought game, moral victory etc, etc, if every ute fan, including you and your friend Chris B will say that utah didn't dominate the BYU game. That it was a hard fought game, moral victory etc, etc. Since ute fans get to spin that win how they want, I can spin this win how I want. Why keep the fun in Utah? I figure it's only fair for us ASU fans to take a few liberties.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 9, 2013 11:34 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil

Give it a rest. Like Utah, ASU hasn't accomplished anything over the last 3 years in the PAC-12.

ASU won, good for you. Move on.

As far as BYU, they had a chance to prove their worth today and they failed.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 11:39 p.m.

Utah Ute fans are unhappy today.

BYU Cougar fans are unhappy today.

Maybe we should forget the hostility for once and all join in a giant hug.

Nov. 10, 2013 12:06 a.m.

@Uteology

FACT: ASU has beat Utah since before most everyone was born.

FACT: ASU beat Utah at their home field...of course everyone has done that except Stanford.

FACT: ASU has swept Utah and will sweep them again next year.

FACT: I just checked the PAC 12 South Standings. ASU is still #1 in the South. Utah is still...Utah.

• bribri86 Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 10, 2013 12:21 a.m.

ClarkHippo,

That's the real secret that I wonder if anyone in Utah (state not school) will figure out. IF utah (college not state) beats BYU, why wouldn't Utah want BYU to go 11-1? Doesn't that give notoriety to Utah? Why would anyone belittle wins against ranked teams (al la Texas)? Doesn't that make Utah's win look much better? I'll never get it. During the next three games, I'm going to hope Utah wins. I know there are annoying fans on both sides of the ball in the state of utah (sorry, three sides, shout out Utah State). But not too many people put a lot of stock in the state of utah for sports. If the state of utah would realize that you're stronger together, and you hope each does well (except when you're playing each other), you guys might start making a name for yourselves. Until then, BYU is still going to be BYU, and Utah is still going to be Utah. Here's hoping, but it's probably a fools hope. Would be nice to see the state of utah be more impressive in the sporting world.

• slcjimmy SLC, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 1:22 a.m.

@CougarSunDevil...Correct me if I'm wrong "Sparky"( A.S.U. mascot) but did it not take A.S.U. nearly 100 years for their first & only Rose Bowl victory? Congratulations your university escaped today. If your team is that superior & Utah so weak you have thought it was going to be the blowout you were predicting all week. Our defense is there. Just wait until the offense does! Enjoy while you can because it's not like A.S.U. will be playing for roses either my friend. Mark that down!

• USNGary San Diego, CA
    Nov. 10, 2013 3:06 a.m.

Uteology, are you a poor loser? I know I am, just ask my wife, she won't vent watch a game with me. I know my team lost to a better team and for the first time I was ok. Grow up grumpy

• Sounds right.. Cedar city, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 7:30 a.m.

When will utah fans stop talking about bcs membership. It does not benefit you when you you don't ever win

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 7:32 a.m.

@ClarkHippo

Maybe should you have lunch with Alan Alda.

• Just Wondering... Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 10, 2013 8:22 a.m.

...how many points it will take for Oregon to take out its frustrations on the Utes next week. 4-6, here we come!

• dden45 Provo, Utah
    Nov. 10, 2013 8:29 a.m.

The opening two pages of this thread has to be the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 8:49 a.m.

@uteology

I like how you think it is the other guys that need to "give it a rest". LOL!. This is the hypocrisy of utah "fans", when it is the other guys hurting then it is perfectly acceptable to rub it in and let them have it, even when you have to resort to spin, exaggeration, or outright dishonesty, but when it is utah "fans" that have been knocked over by their teams ineptness then everyone else needs to "give it a rest". Nice job.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Nov. 10, 2013 9:22 a.m.

Travis Wilson is a big part of the problem and for what ever the reason the coaches can't figure it out. Just get 3 or 4 first down and run the clock out. Wilson looked pathetic in the 4 th qtr. it's a shame too, because the defense looked great!

• Ute2112 Murray, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 9:36 a.m.

Duh says "utah is still building." Whittlingham has been the head coach for what 7 or 8 years....? Why are we not built? We have good talent every year but the problems are not talent. The problems are discipline, tacking and play calling.

• slcjimmy SLC, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 10:56 a.m.

@Sounds right....Really The Utes do not have any PAC 12 wins? Take 5 minutes & educate yourself & look how long it took every single current PAC 12 team to establish themselves. Assure you that it didn't happen over night. The U is on their way to become a power house. Once the offense becomes as good as the defense look out! Stanford, ASU, Oregon is a tremendous difference to playing @ UVA (loss), @ ND (loss) Idaho St (congratulations) In closing. Has your university found a conference? Any conference. That's right they haven't!

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 11:06 a.m.

Wilson learned it from Taysom Hill on the last drive at the Virginia game. Don't want to do that.

Saw that one player of Oregon team when they lost to Stanford was crying on the side line. I can see Chris B. doing the same somewhere on earth (I think on earth) crying. Lol!!!

I can see utah team getting ready for some popcorn warming up at their new cozy facility for the next bowl game.

And the worst part, Dennis Ericson may leave and stay retired and that Kyle Whitingham take the EXIT DOOR while Dr Hill searching for a new coach.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 11:58 a.m.

Chrissy:
    "Texas is not ranked.

They are not a top 25 team. If they were, they'd be ranked. "

They are now...23 and 24 in AP and USA Today coaches poll. I realize they were only 26 in both polls last week, but they are a top 25 team currently, and in the lead with Baylor for the Big 12 (6-0...far cry from 1-5 isn't it?). Poor Chrissy, everything is crumbling around your fantasy land isn't it?

Nov. 10, 2013 12:00 p.m.

Slcjimmy

100 years... Maybe from the inception of the school but here's the great thing. We've been fighting the ucla's, the USC's, and Oregons of the PAC 12. If all we had to do to go to a BCS game was to beat Wyoming UNLV and San Diego st. With an occasional "up" game against byu, and tcu, ASU would have been going to BCS game after BCS game.

Utah fans need to stop predicting anything. They have been very wrong most of the time.

• TandJ LaVerkin, Utah
    Nov. 10, 2013 12:11 p.m.

For fans on both sides, I think I have it figured out. The U of U simply has greedy, out of perspective administrators. BYU doesn't. Now, let me explain. The U of U administrators saw the PAC as a boon to something (anyone say money). What it has turned out to be is this: their football and basketball teams are now somewhere between bottom dwelling and middle dwelling. They could have remained a top dweller in middle dwelling league if the U of U administrators had not been greedy and out of perspective. They could have been looking forward to a middle dwelling bowl game with a rare outside chance of unexpectedly making a top dwelling bowl. Now look at BYU. Their administrators took a different tact. And, BYU's football and basketball teams remain in a middle dwelling league (or circumstance if independence is not considered a league). Guess what the Utes defeat the Cougars in football 4 years running, but look who gets to go to the middle dwelling bowl. And, BYU does indeed still have its rare outside chance of unexpectedly making a top dwelling bowl. Simple isn't it?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 12:15 p.m.

@Ute2112

Discipline, tackling and play calling are all problems, I agree with you, but so is talent. The most glaring place utah lacks talent, and lacks it almost every year, is at QB. For whatever reason whittingham just does not get it.

I actually think there are some positions where utah has at least decent pac12 talent but the pac12 is a qb driven offensive dominated conference and whittingham just doesn't appear to be able to get the proper talent he needs to run a respectable pac12 offense. utah is generally good enough on defense that if the offense was just good, not even great, just good, they would probably be a middle of the pac team. But top to bottom utah does not have much talent on offense. The wr's are not any better than average, the rb's are not any better than average, the o-line is bad, the qb is bad, and they don't even have a te worth anything. Yes I know there are some injuries but that just backs up my point, one guy goes down at one position and they have nothing decent to replace him with.

Nov. 10, 2013 12:28 p.m.

Slcjimmy

Nice spin

"Stanford, ASU, Oregon is a tremendous difference to playing @ UVA (loss), @ ND (loss) Idaho St (congratulations)"

You forgot to mark that you lost to ASU on there. If you were comparing apples to apples, you would have put Texas and Boise st in there as wins for byu. Another reason why I won't cheer for anything that is Utah.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 10, 2013 12:53 p.m.

Utes lose to a ranked team by a point, Travis Wilson in the dog house, and fans are so upset.

I don't get it!

Nov. 10, 2013 1:25 p.m.

Worf, I think it's more the 1 and 5 in PAC 12 play, 4 and 5 overall, no bowl game again that has everyone upset. But ute fans like to rub it in byu fans face about their PAC 12 membership. But, Utah Gets everything that goes with it. Phinominal cosmic money...itty bitty wins and bowl games.

• Mr. Caveman Omaha, NE
    Nov. 10, 2013 1:25 p.m.

I marked down a 15 point win a rose bowl berth. It's okay, I just erased utah and put in ASU. There, that is more like it!!!!

utah finally got their wish for their families...."I'll, be home, for Christmas!" It's amazing how losing seasons fulfills our wishes!

• Mr. Caveman Omaha, NE
    Nov. 10, 2013 1:33 p.m.

uteology,

"As far as BYU, they had a chance to prove their worth today and they failed."

utah had a chance to go bowling, and the FAILED miserably. Yet another home loss. Pathetic. BYU scores more points against Wisconsin in their place then any other team has this year and WI is considered by many the best team in the Big Ten and BYU only lost by ten. Utah, once again, lost at home. It's just too bad utah didn't get this PAC membership earlier.

All you did is eat your own words. Don't worry, it will taste really good with the dressing and pumpkin pie come the holidays.

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 1:58 p.m.

Christopher B
    Ogden, UT you better check your facts again when BYU beat texas they were the number 15 team in the country and their coach almost lost his job so stop the lying and look it up your utes suck get over it they lost and will not get to a bowl game

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 2:41 p.m.

Utah is not a very good team. They will be lucky to become bowl eligible. They had two tremendous games, BYU and Stanford. They had bad losses at AZ,ASU,USC, UCLA and I give them no chance at Oregon. WSU and Colorado will not be easy games 5-7 is more likely than 6-6. They played great against Oregon State but that is in the distant past.

Nov. 10, 2013 2:55 p.m.

I just watched the highlights again...Our Defensive Tackle picked off your quarterback! LOL. How do you throw a ball for the Tackle to intercept the ball. LOL

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Nov. 10, 2013 5:29 p.m.

Interesting comments about firing Coach W. Doesn't make a lot of sense but it is interesting that the logical successor is the co-offensive coordinator Erickson. He has lots of PAC-12 coaching experience and he knows the challenges of recruiting to Utah so if he's willing he could be the answer.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 6:15 p.m.

@bribri86

AMEN to your 12:21 comment.

@Bluto

Not sure what Alan Alda has to do with this, but to have lunch with him would be an absolute delight.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 10, 2013 6:16 p.m.

CougarSunDevil
    Phoenix, AZ

@Uteology

FACT: ASU has beat Utah since before most everyone was born.

FACT: ASU has swept Utah and will sweep them again next year.

---------------

FACT: ASU finished 8-5 in 2011 with a Kraft Hunger Bowl win over Navy.

FACT: Utah finished 8-5 in 203 with a Sun Bowl win over Georgia Tech.

FACT: 67% of ASU's wins have been against losing teams (Wisconsin was not a win)

For a comparison, 25% of Stanford's wins have been against losing teams.

So congrats you OWN Utah, but it's as meaningless as Utah OWNS BYU.

Nov. 10, 2013 7:33 p.m.

Uteology,

I'm not talking about BYU in this article because it's off topic. Ute fans have a difficult time letting go of BYU, but let's keep this on subject.

I noticed that your post that I'm responding to compared ASU to Stanford. Why is that? We're talking ASU and Utah (on topic) not Stanford (off topic).

Apples to Apples here we go.

ASU beat Utah...SCORE BOARD! ASU has beat Utah 10 time in a row dating back to 1977. That means seniors at ASU dating back to 1981 has never lost to Utah.
    ASU is #1 in the south and #3 overall.
    Utah is #5 in the south and #10 overall.
    ASU is going to a bowl game.
    Utah has about a 3% chance to go to a bowl game.
    Utah has one quality win (I'd say two, but ute fans don't count the win over BYU as a quality win).
    ASU has 3 quality wins (when I look at the results of the Wisconsin game, it shows ASU with a win).

Now I watered this down, even though there are tons of posts much worse than what I've typed. Hopefully the DN ute sensor will allow this

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Nov. 10, 2013 7:44 p.m.

Not likely, but the utes do have a chance to win out, and win a bowl game.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 10, 2013 8:25 p.m.

The best part of the loss is that Chris suddenly went off the air. I love the first 5 comment plus the many other comment from his other names all guaranteeing a utah win. When will he ever learn. As so who played the better game I give it to BYU as play played a higher ranked team on the road and had to deal with a horrible BIG 10 officiating crew that picked up three penalty flags that could have made the game much closer. They got HOMERED, even the announcers agreed.

Utah is plain and simple that can get up for some big games every now and again ans stink it up the rest of the year.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Nov. 10, 2013 9:25 p.m.

A modern-day analogy:
    Oregon and Stanford = the 2%
    Utah, Colorado, and Cal = Occupy Wall Street/Food Stamps

Doesn't it hurt to know that the U is pretty much in the 50% of Pac-12 citizens who do not contribute to conference revenue? Because of of the Pac-12 contracts, the U will take from the wealthy, but not "work" to contribute for their fair share. Outside of football, how else will the U contribute to overall revenue to the conference as far as athletics go?

It is funny to read all the predictions from a delusional "fan" at the beginning, only to have him/her wallow in tears. It's even funnier to have real U fanbase turn against that particular individual. Well done. Tough season for sure...lots of missed opportunities.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2013 12:03 a.m.

CougarSunDevil

Uteology,

-------------

Huh? Let me jog your memory:

"I think Utah fans should stop "predicting" anything. Utah lost because they are a terrible team. ASU dominated them. ... If it were BYU losing, Utah fans would be dancing all over the loss and rubbing it in. In fact, how about I go check on that."
    -- CougarSunDevil

Utah is a bad team, I have never claimed Utah was better then ASU or any other team besides Cal, Washington State, and Colorado.

ASU hasn't accomplished anything, you have two good wins this year at home and were lucky to win yesterday. You'll have your chance @UCLA and if you get passed them then good luck against Stanford. Hopefully this time you won't spot 32 point lead.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 11, 2013 2:25 a.m.

Look at the stats... The outcome was inevitable... I knew that the utes would lose immediately... Utah was all sizzle and no pop...

• MountainMan25 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 3:49 a.m.

"I think it's time Whittingham goes. I don't think fans can endure another year like this and next years schedule only gets tougher. He's not developing these players like he should. These guys can be great, but cutting it close is not going to work anymore. I think they need to pull the plug on Whittingham before this program gets run into the ground."

Agreed. This is just pathetic. 1-5 in the PAC 12? Three years in? This was our year to turn the tide and show signs of life. Instead it looks like we are settling in right below the Arizona schools on our way to perennial conference bottom-dwellers. It isn't panic mode yet, but we need to act soon before the mediocrity becomes permanent.

We can play with anybody when we want to (see BYU and Stanford, which were both considered upsets, btw). We should not be 4-5. The players aren't responding to Whit. He needs to go, whether or not we make a bowl. Ditto Chris Hill. We are a PAC 12 joke in both football and basketball. And for all the 4-0 talk, BYU has won the last SEVEN in basketball.

• BYU9293 Clinton, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 7:22 a.m.

I think Utah played very well, they just lost it at the end of the game. Their defense has been tough most of the year. Unfortunately, with the bowl situation what it is for the PAC 12, Utah must win out to go to a bowl game. They won't be going at 6-6 unless another conference does not fill it quota. Utah is playing competitively in most games, but they are still losing.

Nov. 11, 2013 7:38 a.m.

Uteology

Once again your spin is boarder line dishonest. That was a note to dn because of the obvious bias against my posts which was clearly posted in comment. Start debating the merits and not function.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2013 8:21 a.m.

ASU is way overrated

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 11, 2013 8:59 a.m.

Jacka-rus, ASU beat Wisconsin, who easily handled your Cougars. If anything, BYU is "way" overrated.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 11, 2013 9:19 a.m.

What is it now? 12 out of 13? Something like that.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 11, 2013 9:38 a.m.

@rock-of-the-marne

It appears that you didn't keep up on college football this year, so I am going to help you...Wisconsin did in fact lose to ASU on ASU's field and with the now infamous pac12 officials who purposely kept Wisconsin from kicking a chip shot field goal to win the game on what should have been the last play of the game... The crew was sanctioned and all of college football talked about the travesty that occurred... (and ironically, this same crew officiated the ute-Coug game the following week and made some very questionable calls that seriously injured BYU's effort to win the game (i.e. a kick return for a TD was called back, and a blatant pass interference call was not made, etc.) I guess some of the big bad pac12 members need that help to compete nationally so they are probably just doing what they were instructed to do and so the Sun Devils got the win.

But BYU played in Wisconsin (not on their home field) and matched statistics with the Badgers much better than the utes did on their own field with the Sun Devils.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 9:45 a.m.

pebbles

ASU was gifted a win over Wisconsin by officiating that was so bad that even the PAC 12 had to admit was pathetic.

BYU lost at Camp Randall against a team that has only lost TWO home games in the month of November since 2004.

Utah lost AT HOME to a team that was ranked about the same as Wisconsin.

BIG difference.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:08 a.m.

Wow, two teams so bad that they posture their losses against each other. Sad state of football this year.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:33 a.m.

@Rock Of The Marne
    Stanford beat UCLA so they really beat the Utes then.

• Rock Of The Marne Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 11, 2013 12:09 p.m.

Lonestar, like I have said before to other condescending Y fans, better to have been a pebble of the Marne than not at all (a way you'll never be). Since few Y fans I know served, your ignorance is understandable. News flash for you Lonestar, Utah was up 19-7 in the second half, BYU on the other hand never held a lead and lost by double digits vice one, big difference home or not. Kudos to former Ute player and coach Gary Andersen for the easy win over an obviously an overmatched Y team.

• talkinsports Gilbert, AZ
    Nov. 11, 2013 12:17 p.m.

StGtoSLC

"Wow, two teams so bad that they posture their losses against each other."

Actually, only one team so bad that they have to posture every tiny little accomplishment against their big brothers, because they're ranked below their big brothers in every national ranking.

• slcjimmy SLC, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 1:17 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil...Your point is completely moot regarding how long ASU has been playing in The PAC 12 & therefore playing PAC 12 competition . I'm aware! Since you brought up playing the "occasional SDSU, Wyoming & getting up for ybu, etc which was most definitely a shot @ Utah's MWC days how many BCS Bowls did they happen to win? Also, how was ASU during their WAC days? You make sound like A.S.U. was an original member of the conference. Not! In closing, amazing how you continue to trash "everything Utah" yet defend all things "YBU" which doesn't even belong to a conference...Still!

• slcjimmy SLC, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 1:35 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil...Cannot wait to watch you get worked by UCLA, Stanford & Zona! Most certain your elementary logic & posts will then vanish into the desert air.

Nov. 11, 2013 2:47 p.m.

Well, we already played Stanford (and lost, see I can own up to it...can you own up to your losses?) and we couldn't do any worse than you did against UCLA and Zona because you lost to both of them. We'll see. I have respect for those two teams (Shout out Utah Bruin) just none for Utah because they give none. Rose bowl this year...lol.

Including the above mentioned games, you can also watch us in our bowl game. I know you won't be doing anything else for the holidays.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 2:46 p.m.

slcjimmy, we both know that cougsundevil was sweating bullets until midway through the fourth quarter. The ASU beatdown he'd been predicting for weeks, never came to fruition. You'd think he would be a graceful winner and thank his lucky stars for the 1-point "blowout." Especially with how inept the Utes' offense was.

And I second slcjimmy's sentiments. Best of luck with UCLA, Stanford, and Zona. Sure to be some fun contests to watch.

Here's to hoping the Utes can put all the narrow misses behind them and just go play ball in Eugene. Beating Stanford and Oregon in the same season would provide some healing!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 5:30 p.m.

talkinsports, and the other so bad that they can never beat that team? Yup, sad indeed.

Nov. 11, 2013 8:27 p.m.

slcjimmy, we both know that SamuraiJake was sweating bullets until midway through the fourth quarter. The Utah beatdown he'd been predicting for weeks, never came to fruition. You'd think he would be a graceful winner and thank his lucky stars for the 6-point "blowout." Especially with how inept the Cougars' offense was.

Goes both ways. Until Utes can respect ASU and BYU, I've got none for them.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 11, 2013 8:49 p.m.

CSD, saying you have respect for UA but not for Utah because of a few Utah fans' lack of respect would be evident that you really know nothing of the in-state rivalry in Arizona. It has every bit as much animosity, if not more. "He started it" is still just as childish of a defense as ever.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Nov. 12, 2013 10:21 a.m.

StGtoSLC

More likely, it's you and the myriad other arrogant Utah fans who simply don't understand that it's your own condescending attitude and complete lack of respect for every other program in the state that has cost Utah any reciprocal respect from other in-state programs.

You pin your PAC 12 patch on your jacket like it was a medal of honor and pretend that simply being a member of a conference somehow makes you special, even though Utah has been nothing but a bottom dweller in the premier sports of football and men's basketball since joining the PAC.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 11:19 a.m.

PAC man, please reference me to my own comments where I show a "complete lack of respect for every other program in the state," or anything else that proves me as "arrogant," or "pinning my PAC-12 patch on my jacket like a medal of honor." I give credit where it's due, and I have a lot of friends who have played, and some who are still playing at all 3 of the state's FBS programs, or who have otherwise been involved with them. As a former college athlete myself, I have the utmost respect for the young adults dedicating so much of their time to participate in something they love so much. It is also because of this that several fans (yes, from all 3 schools) that have no part whatsoever in "their" team's accomplishments, but take such pride in boasting "their" team's accomplishments and disparaging others' simply because of the color they wear.

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Nov. 12, 2013 11:27 a.m.

PAC man, contd.

My last sentence reads wrong. What I intended to say is that it is because my respect for the athletes (at all 3 schools) that many of those fans (of all 3 schools) irritate me so much. I think it is often hypocritical of this site's moderators to allow people to post the hateful things that they do about specific people in an opposing school's athletic program while denying several of my comments that call some of these anonymous posters' motives or character into question.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Nov. 13, 2013 10:32 a.m.

"Mark it down - Utah wins"

"Total domination!"

"I told you we would win!"

I enjoyed the comments at the beginning of the thread. Quality stuff.

"Ken

Sandy, UT

Cougsndawgs, What we're learning is Utah is inconsistent, but when playing well can beat any team in the nation. The only thing byu has shown is they can beat average teams. This was their first game against a top 25 opponent. And they lost. Utah is amazing some days, and poor somedays. Byu is consistently average."

Ken, incorrect. BYU is (6-3) against a top twenty schedule with a win over the first ranked opponent they faced (Texas). But, where they've admittedly struggled and lost for the most part, is against the early creampuff portion of their schedule...