Opinion

Kathleen Parker: Obama duped the American people on Obamacare

Comments

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Nov. 8, 2013 6:22 a.m.

Unlike Ms. Parker, I am not a mind reader so I cannot tell if Obama is a conscious liar. But the lesson for him is clear -- whatever you do, don't try to make people's lives better. They will hate you for it.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Nov. 8, 2013 6:48 a.m.

You can't say it better than that. The president lied to get the bill passed and him reelected. There was no confusion over such a simple point. He said it again and again and again PERIOD. NO MATTER WHAT! Who will ever believe this guy again? There is going to be a blood bath over this next November. The Democrats are already running for cover.

• Getting Older Riverton, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 6:51 a.m.

Ms. Parker could have saved some space by just saying Obama was a liar. She used several sentences saying just that but didn't ever say just that. Mr. Obama doesn't care what he says as long as he gets what he wants.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 8, 2013 7:07 a.m.

I agree..... Obama should have been full disclosure that if you buy yourself a minimalist policy, it will likely not meet the new minimums. It should have been said. Most people will be able to carry forward their coverage - those who have full coverage plans. But there are those policies that fall well short of that.... and that should have been made clear.

It was a mistake, and it should be owned up to.

• SEY Sandy, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 7:28 a.m.

Deception in government you say? I'm shocked, shocked.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 8:14 a.m.

Ms Parker very well said but I am from the old school and it smells an awful lot like a lie so I call it a lie.

Utah Blue Devil "It was a mistake, and it should be owned up to.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Nov. 8, 2013 8:31 a.m.

The recent statements by Mitt Romney and now Kathleen Parker feed a cynicism that political talk thrives on. It reminds me how GW Bush was called a liar when he was proven wrong about Saddaam s weapons of mass destruction. Does having to concede we were wrong about something mean we were willfully trying to deceive? Who among us in 20/20 hindsight would not be vulnerable to having our integrity questioned at various points in our lives?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 8:51 a.m.

And yet all these "my premiums will skyrocket" stories on Hannity and elsewhere keep leading to articles from people finding out "actually... there's a plan available on the exchange that covers what you had before and is either cheaper or comparable in price".

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Nov. 8, 2013 8:58 a.m.

@ Irony Guy. Obamacare is a scam to rob Peter to pay for Paul's health insurance. It may help Paul but it sure doesn't help Peter! It appears most of the Peters in America resent being lied too! Shame on them, right?

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 9:15 a.m.

Kathleen Parker, you are my hero. Working for the Washington Post, writing editorials like you do, and keeping your job. Remember, Fox News will be there when the heat gets too much at the Post. Needless to say, I agree with what you wrote. Thanks for being one of the few voices of reason coming out of the liberal media.

• wrz Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 8, 2013 9:29 a.m.

Kathleen, a lie is a lie... I think that's your point, right?

The Democrats have little or no trouble or hesitancy calling President George W. Bush a liar over Iraq's WMD.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Nov. 8, 2013 10:23 a.m.

The President is fair game for having his words parsed by a high-handed columnist using not so subtle metaphors like “sins of omission” to characterize not only what the President said but what he failed to say. “Duped” and “willfully misled” are terms that are not in turn to be likewise parsed when they flow from a poison pen writing in ill temper whether hard facts support such stark semantic choices or not.

But Barack Obama knows all that. It comes with the job of being President.

• happy2bhere clearfield, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 11:04 a.m.

I believe that had Obama gone before the American people on a national broadcast and said, I'm sure sorry that this ACA has not worked like we in my administration thought it would, and we are going to fix these problems before asking you to sign on. ect. He would probably be in the 70% popularity rating right now. His egotistical sense that he knows best and is never wrong, and his personality, (narcissistic), will never allow a man like him to be humble. Pride comes before the fall. And humility is one of the best virtues. Obama has too much of one and not enough of the other.

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 11:26 a.m.

Irony guy: "But the lesson for him is clear -- whatever you do, don't try to make people's lives better. They will hate you for it."

I am all for making people's lives better. But Obamacare does not do that. Sure, it helps people who did not have insurance before (and there were quite a few of them), but it makes millions of other people's lives worse. I wouldn't be surprised if even fewer people have health insurance after we go through all this pain, than before it all started.

This program hurts workers, businesses, and taxpayers. It takes away personal liberty and adds a HUGE new government bureaucracy that will be inefficient and full of fraud and abuse.

But obviously, being against such a monstrosity means that you hate "helping people", right?

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 1:05 p.m.

How anyone could defend a lie tells you something about the electorate. Obama is Obama, but citizens who defend someone who is lying tells you where we are in our society. People will have ears for what they want to hear, including listening and nodding while someone is lying.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 1:13 p.m.

Irony guy: You couldn't have said it better, which is why the government needs to stay out of Health care and every other thing that citizens should be doing for themselves. I can't believe that those who understand the it on a personal level completely become lost at a public level. Doing something for a child that he/she can do for him/her self only creates selfish, self-absorbed, and irresponsible children.

• Anti Bush-Obama Chihiuahua, 00
    Nov. 8, 2013 2:49 p.m.

No Obama didn't dupe them It was Bush. Everything is Bush's fault when something bad happens under Obama. Why don't you know that yet?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 6:38 p.m.

@VST
    " Right now more than 4.2 million individuals have had their coverage cancelled and it is rapidly growing. That is more than 4.2 million voters, who will not have short memories, come election time on 04 Nov 2014 when they vote for their House and Senate members in Congress."

I'm not concerned since most of them will end up with better and/or more affordable plans on the exchanges anyway.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 7:27 p.m.

Atl134: Of course, as is the case with all progressives, the lie is ok as long as the Outcome fits their idea of what is best. that, my friend, is our biggest problem, not obamacare or any other legislation. The grand wizard loves that reasoning for it unfolds numerous opportunities to destroy liberty and enslave us all. after all, ask a progressive who is more powerful or dependable-God or government- and I would bet all the money I have (not much) that government will get the nod, if not all the support.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    Nov. 8, 2013 8:08 p.m.

I guess there's not much to add. People are not only loosing their plans, they are loosing their Drs, something that means a lot especially if you have some kind of life threatening disease. So you loose your plan, you loose the Dr., and listening to some, you loose hope.

I watched a man on Hannity/or Kelly who said his new coverage would be 3 to 5 Xs as much with a huge deduction. He said he is going to die anyway in the long run, so he won't sign up and he won't pay a penalty so he can leave his family with something after he goes. He has lost hope! Is this really what America stands for? He is not an old man and this will happen over and over.

It's not 0bama that's the real problem, it's the people who support and make excuses for what he has done to this country.
    BTW Atl134 there's a panel of Drs on Hannity right now, maybe it would be a good hour to listen to them.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 9:02 p.m.

@Bright Star

Amazing.

The same thing is happening with everyone who lives in America.

Everyone is losing their insurance plans.

Everyone is losing their Dr.'s.

Loose your plan, Dr., hope.

Exactly the same thing I have witnessed...

At least since I decided to limit my information source to Fox News Entertainment.

BTW; I made sure I watched the same Fair and Balanced TV Infomercial you watched.

You know the one with the Fox News Entertainment Dr.'s.

Thanks for the tip.

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Nov. 8, 2013 9:22 p.m.

There is a big difference between making a mistake or being wrong about something and LYING. Obama did in fact know that what he was saying was not true. We know this for a fact that is was known that a very large number of people would not be able to keep their insurance plans and yet Obama kept on saying with enormous assurance (along with his customary arrogance) that everybody could keep their insurance in place PERIOD. NO MATTER WHAT. This was not a mistake it was a lie. He perpetrated this fraud so the ACA would pass and so he could be reelected. It is painful to watch him try to spin his way out of this. Those who say "he should have been more clear" are surely joking. He was EXTREMELY clear.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 10:03 p.m.

@Max

I wanted to get back to your comment but I was busy watching the FOX NEWS Entertainers in action.

Sorry.

However, after watching the Fair and Balanced reporting by the FOX NEWS Entertainers, I could see where you came up with your facts.

It is amazing how everything becomes so EXTREMELY clear after watching and listening to the Fair and Balanced Infomercials on the FOX NEWS Entertainment Network.

• E Sam Provo, UT
    Nov. 8, 2013 10:55 p.m.

Okay, let's see: President Bush knew that UN inspectors were in Iraq searching for WMDs, about to issue a report that there weren't any. He nonetheless mislead us into a war where hundreds of thousands of people died.
    President Obama mislead people about the ACA, a program that will provide millions of people with health insurance that didn't previously have it. While he was doing so, conservatives were comparing him to Hitler, and comparing the ACA to slavery and the holocaust.
    False equivalency, anyone.

• wrz Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 9, 2013 12:42 a.m.

@Craig Clark:
    "The President is fair game for having his words parsed..."

How can you parse... 'If you like your health insurance you can keep it...PERIOD'?

"But Barack Obama knows all that. It comes with the job of being President."

What Barack Hussein Obama knew is, if he tells the truth, i.e., that insurance policies will be canceled by the millions, he would not have gotten elected a second term. That's what he knew. And that's why he lied.

@happy2bhere:
    "I believe that had Obama gone before the American people on a national broadcast and said, I'm sure sorry that this ACA has not worked..."

Why should he do that? He got what he wanted... reelection and Obamacare. He's a lame duck*. He doesn't have to worry about pleasing the people or getting reelected. In three years he'll retire from the White House and go back to his native country, Indonesia.

*Lame duck - A term limit which keeps the official from running for that particular office again..

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 2:01 a.m.

@banderson
    " as is the case with all progressives, the lie is ok"

Hate to break it to you but all politicians lie. So I could either support a liar who is pushing a policy I like or a liar who opposes a policy I like. Which do you think I'm going to go with?

"ask a progressive who is more powerful or dependable-God or government- and I would bet all the money I have (not much) that government will get the nod, if not all the support."

Would this be an inconvenient time for me to note that I'm a Christian and a Progressive? Good thing that's not a real bet.

@StarBright
    "there's a panel of Drs on Hannity right now, maybe it would be a good hour to listen to them."

Yeah I think I'll wait to see if their claims are even accurate. Based on the article "Inside the Fox News lie machine: I factchecked Sean Hannity on Obamacare" I have low expectations. Of course, I harbor no delusions that you'd be more willing to read that than I am to watch Hannity.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    Nov. 9, 2013 2:25 a.m.

"Who will ever believe this guy again?"

OK, I'll bite. Liberals who are desperate and live in Lala land?

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Nov. 9, 2013 6:28 a.m.

@ There you go again.

I don't have cable so I don't know what is being said on CNN, Fox etc. but it has been reported widely in newspapers across the country. You do nothing to dispute the facts. All you talk about is your source. That is pretty weak!

The facts are the facts. Let me help you out. Here is what Obama said. This is a direct quote. He said it over and over and over again:

"No matter how we reform health care, we will keep this promise to the American people. If you like your doctor, you will be able to keep your doctor, period. If you like your health care plan, you'll be able to keep your health care plan, period. No one will take it away, no matter what."

Now documents show that it was indeed known that insurance would be cancelled for millions of Americans yet he continued to make this same statement. Sorry to break your heart but there is no disputing this.

• Star Bright Salt Lake City, Ut
    Nov. 9, 2013 9:17 a.m.

there YOU GO AGAIN:
    Mocking is so fun isn't it?
    Hannity tried to do what 0bama did as he handed out the white coats to the doctors, but gave them a choice to wear them or not. Apparently, when the doctors appeared in the rose garden at the launch, they had no choice - they were handed white coats and had to wear them if they wanted to be there.
    BTW, the AMA went full throttle supporting this and of course has been quoted and quoted. Only 17% of doctors belong to the AMA.
    I'm so sorry I watch some of Fox's shows - I bet you get a lot more information watching msnbc (where they have comments who think our national anthem should be scrapped), or cnn, both of which are in the tank.
    But stick with your mocking!

• wrz Phoenix, AZ
    Nov. 9, 2013 3:47 p.m.

@E Sam:
    "President Bush knew that UN inspectors were in Iraq searching for WMDs, about to issue a report that there weren't any. He nonetheless mislead us into a war..."

Check your facts... all of them. In the first place, the president cannot go to war (of any description) without the approval of Congress. And that august body did approve. It's called 'authorization to use military force in Iraq.' Secondly, there were a ton of Democrats who voted for the authorization... including Hilary Clinton, John Kerry, and Joe Bit-me. And thirdly, the entire world was sure that Saddam had WMD... including Saddam's trusted general Georges Sada who writes that Chemical WMD were shipped to Syria... Syria??!! You mean that place where what's his face used chemical weapons on his own people? Yep.

"What the President did not say is this: 'if you have a terrible current policy, with low premiums, high deductibles and low coverage, that kind of insurance policy is going away. We're not going to allow unscrupulous insurers to dupe people any longer.'"

What he did say is: 'If you like your insurance you can keep it, PERIOD!

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 9, 2013 7:39 p.m.

"When are you folks going to quit carrying Obamas water? Mistake? It was a deliberate and intentional lie told 1. to con everyone for his election.2. to further his socialist/communist agenda.It really passes the smell test, the sight test, and the taste test."

OH please.... give it a rest. If you think there is a politician who can pass your so called "smell test", please let us know who that demigod is. It some how your are shocked that a politician from any party tried to spin their position into the most positive light to benefit their cause - welcome to the real world.

• David Centerville, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 8:38 p.m.

atl,

The plans on the exchanges are not cheaper. In fact, they cost more.

But because some Americans are being taxed more so that other Americans receive an insurance subsidy, it may appear to be cheaper.

In reality, healthcare costs are going up, as are premiums. Don't be fooled by the smoke and mirrors.

Obama has been revealed, finally, to be the snake-oil salesman he really is.

• E Sam Provo, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 9:46 p.m.

>wrz
    Yes, the President did get Congressional approval for his war. Based on cherry-picked and inaccurate intel, without waiting for inspectors to finish their work, which they were within a couple of weeks of completing. And yes, it's certainly true that some Democrats allowed themselves to be duped. And of course, we knew Saddam had chemical weapons--we sold them to him. But years before, and they had long since degraded. And Bush had intel suggesting that was the case. Facts are facts: Bush lied us into a completely unnecessary war.
    And yes, President Obama may have told a little bit of a whopper. While conservatives were busy telling HUGE whoppers left and right. Remember death panels?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Nov. 10, 2013 8:40 a.m.

David... before the ACA... which still isn't in force yet..... what were Healthcare and insurance cost doing? How much were they going up in relation to the overall inflation rate is.

You are correct, we do know who the snake oil sales people are, and it is those who pretend there wasn't a problem to begin with, that cost were not rising, and that the system was working. Pointing to increases in cost really is a double edged sword here, because in actuality, rate increases for both have been the least they have been over the last two decades.

Cost were going up before. Cost are going up now. And cost are going to go up tomorrow. By how much... that is the only question.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    Nov. 10, 2013 4:30 p.m.

I agree with Kathleen Parker, and with all who say that Obama is a liar. Some time ago I became discouraged about keeping up with underlying factors in politics so I quit reading the vast amount of material I formerly read. Just what is Obama's motive? Is it as awful as my gut feeling is telling me since I haven't studied the topic?

• Mickey Kovars Tampa, FL
    Nov. 10, 2013 9:10 p.m.

This business illustrates the wisdom of the old saying that lying is the worst sin because it is the one that makes all the other sins possible. Obama got his healthcare law passed with a major assist from a flat-out lie that was repeated time and time again. A lot of people aren't happy about that -- seemingly to Obama's surprise, people really don't like being lied to, even when it's done by a super-cool guy like our president.

Frankly, at this point I see no reason to believe anything he says.

• gittalopctbi Glendale, AZ
    Nov. 10, 2013 10:41 p.m.

"It is still jarring to my adult psyche to impugn another, especially the president of the United States, as a liar, so I won't."

Well, I will--the POTUS is a liar. There, I said it for you.

I will be even more specific--Barack Obama is a liar. Always has been. I hope he changes so that he will not always be one.