Faith

Tattooed, foulmouthed woman aiding progressive church movement

Comments

• gittalopctbi Glendale, AZ
    Nov. 6, 2013 9:39 p.m.

Nothing but man-made methods to market their churches. I am so thankful to be part of the Lord's true church that has no problem with membership growth because it just presents the truth.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Nov. 6, 2013 10:20 p.m.

It's a different approach to what I see as largely a scam. Although she seems a bit more in touch than the facade presented by most churches today. They're mostly interested in revenue and keeping up appearances.

• The Rock Federal Way, WA
    Nov. 6, 2013 10:22 p.m.

There are two ways to look for a church:

1. Look for a church that you agree with and that agrees with you. It's great if the services are really cool and entertaining.

2. You can look for the truth. This requires that a person humble them selves and prayerfully seek guidance. Once you find the truth then there will be pain, growth and adjustment. If I disagree with God, then it would be smart for me to change. It does not matter what I believe, what matters is what God believes.

• DN Subscriber 2 SLC, UT
    Nov. 6, 2013 11:08 p.m.

Fortunately, we are free to choose our religion (or none, if so inclined) and also to choose what church and religious leaders we will associate with.

Although this person has an interesting life story, I would exercise my free will choice and look elsewhere for a church leader and congregation.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 3:15 a.m.

Re: "For a part of American religion that’s been in a long, slow institutional decline, this gives her major credibility."

Yeah. Kinda explains why that part of American Religion has been in a long, slow decline, huh?

• george of the jungle goshen, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 6:08 a.m.

Evil only triumphs when good people do nothing.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 6:22 a.m.

@gittalopctbi;

@The Rock;

"You can look for the truth." --- "Truth" is subjective. You will never know for certain that what you have is "the truth", all you'll ever have is a strong belief about it. Please stop denigrating other religions by claiming they don't have "the truth".

The Genesis Project in Ogden is packed every Sunday. I've never been inside, but driving past, it always amazes me how busy they are.

• scwoz gambier, oh
    Nov. 7, 2013 6:29 a.m.

I admire her taking charge and going forth in her social movement but it is not a religion it is a social movement. Disrespect, irreverence, foul mouthed and lowering the standards so you can get people to meet your average standards does not make it right. God has set standards and we need to rise to achieve them as best we are able. God does not need irreverent intoxicated people hanging around hoping they might hear a word and jump on the wagon. God wants us to come up and be perfected and he has given us a way to do this; by following his ordained Prophet. We do not need to lower our standards so the world will accept us, we need to bring those people UP his commanded standards. If you want to know the truth, do not hesitate to simply get on your knees and ask God what he wants of you. He wants you to come home in glory trailing stars behind you...In power and Glory sharing all he has with his Son our Savior.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 7:31 a.m.

george of the jungle says:

"Evil only triumphs when good people do nothing."

Not true. Evil triumphs when good people, thinking they're doing good, actually do evil instead.

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Nov. 7, 2013 8:25 a.m.

As Jim Taranto would say, "Fox Butterfield, is that you?"

• common twit Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 9:35 a.m.

I think it is great what she is doing. She is letting people come closer to Jesus that we mormons are missing. We need to reach out to the poor, the wicked and the downtrodden. They are our brothers and sisters regardless of their lifestyles. If we truly believe that Jesus saves then it is better for them to learn it from a foul mouthed tattooed liberal preacher than a three piece suit wearing wealthy white guy.
    We may or may not have the truth but only accepting people that are perfect is a very flawed system.
    May help people have better lives but whatever means possible.
    Amen. (The amen was sarcastic in case you did not get that)

• Lightbearer Brigham City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 9:47 a.m.

Re: "Nothing but man-made methods to market their churches."

Some would say that they're all man made.

Re: "I am so thankful to be part of the Lord's true church ..."

And those who you consider to belong to "false" churches are no doubt also thankful to be part of "the Lord's true church."

Re: "God does not need irreverent intoxicated people hanging around hoping they might hear a word and jump on the wagon."

"As Jesus was having a meal in Matthew's house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with Jesus and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this they said to his disciples, 'Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?' When Jesus heard this he said, 'Those who are healthy don't need a physician, but those who are sick do.... For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners.'"

Jesus was accused of being a drunkard himself. "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look at him, a glutton and a drunk, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!'" Would you not want him "hanging around," either?

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 9:58 a.m.

So what if she has tattoos?
    What's your point?

• Mike in Sandy Sandy, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 10:01 a.m.

@ gittalopctbi

Which Church would that be?
    Because I belong to the Greek Orthodox Church, and THAT is the true church....I don't see you there.

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    Nov. 7, 2013 10:02 a.m.

"...Moving church meetings to the bar has helped reach out to a younger crowd."

Awesome, bar, beer, women - that's just the healthy combinations where you will find God

As much as those who go to the bars to find acceptance of their ways, so as he religions who found no followers except at bars - perfect match don't you think?

• jawico Cedar City, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 10:16 a.m.

@Ranch

Truth is absolutely not subjective. What someone believes as truth can certainly be subjective, but Truth by definition cannot possibly be subjective.

If someone does not believe they have found truth what is the purpose continuing down that path? Whether it be Christianity, Judaism, Budism, Paganism, Mormonism truth is not a respecter of persons and has no concern with who is right. It is our responsibility to seek out truth because Truth isn't going to seek us out.

• SCfan clearfield, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 10:25 a.m.

It is easy to run a Church that asks absolutly nothing of the people. I wonder if she gets donations?

• owlmaster2 Kaysville, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 11:24 a.m.

"As ye judge so shall ye be judged".
    "Love your neighbor".

"If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; give him water to drink."

Why don't you folks just cool your jets and try to treat each other like you would like to be treated. Our political atmosphere is full of hate and it seems the religious culture is as well.
    I'm not a religious guy but I am disgusted with my neighbors, (you) in the way you attack, degrade, demean and sling rocks in your anonymity thinking you won't be discovered in who you really are.

I'll bet your God whoever He or She is, is super proud of the way you act.

No wonder I don't attend any organized religion. You're all the only true church and the only path to God. If that is true then your God's are unfair and not trustworthy.

God is the God of ALL and loves ALL if indeed there is a God.

• LivinLarge Bountiful, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 11:46 a.m.

I thought the teachings of the scriptures are intended to bring us closer to God's standards. Not lower God's standards to man.

• Stop The Nonsense El Paso, TX
    Nov. 7, 2013 12:57 p.m.

It seems there are people whose opinions fall at both extremes of this issue and who fail to see the common ground between them.

As an active LDS member with plenty of faults of my own, I admire that she is reaching out to people who don't "fit the mold" of what we currently view as religious people (something our church is working on, btw). A religion/social movement in any form that encourages people to let God into their lives (people who had otherwise shut Him out completely) is a good thing, in my opinion. As opponents of a society that is becoming ever more God-less, can't we see that she is on our side? Now we can discuss the issue of Good/Better/Best.

• OlderGreg USA, CA
    Nov. 7, 2013 1:05 p.m.

Something about getting the message in one's own language (The original 12 did it, to even their own surprise) -- and progression.

I remember being told about some kid (with an excruciatingly common name) not liking his neighborhood churches, so he started his own. And I was further insulted by someone wanting to send missionaries to me.

Obviously, it was not "my own language" at the time.

If this lady is turning but one soul towards the path, she is doing a good work.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Nov. 7, 2013 2:04 p.m.

@jawico;

Of course truth is subjective.

It is true that Americans are the most patriotic people on the planet. It is also true that the French are the most patriotic people on the planet. It is also true that Argentinians are the most patriotic people on the planet. It just depends on where you're from.

It is true that there are many religions that all claim to be the one true religion. To each one, theirs is the correct one. That is called "subjective".

You can't define ANY religion as 100% absolute true because that is not provable, therefore it is subjective.

• Jennifer in San Diego SAN DIEGO, CA
    Nov. 7, 2013 10:06 p.m.

I feel like this is just another one of those charismatic people who every 5-10 yrs shows up, writes a book, preaches a sermon, gathers a following and acts all NEW and FRESH and then ossifies into the same-o same-o and becomes a business. Calvary Chapel in CA started that way with Chuck Smith and his "Jesus People" movement. All hippies and coolness. Now CC is a rigid, authoritarian church that tells members they can't have unauthorized Bible studies in their homes. Give this lady 10 more years (if it lasts that long) and let's see where she ends up. Meanwhile, the Mormons and other conservative churches will be chugging along into the next century.

• FT1/SS Virginia Beach, VA
    Nov. 8, 2013 8:44 a.m.

Just like Isaiah, and Revelations tells it. She preaches the church of man.

• John T Scranton, PA
    Nov. 8, 2013 5:27 p.m.

"I don't think a church that openly accepts (or promotes) sin is in the best interest of its members, because "wickedness never was happiness." However, every church should openly accept sinners, otherwise we'd all be in trouble ("for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God"). I believe churches/religion exist to help sinners overcome/turn away from their sins." from "Stop The Nonsense"

I heartily agree! As it has been said, churches should be hospitals for sinners, not country clubs for saints. However, I cannot condone this woman's method of preaching, nor her claim that what she is doing is in any way biblical. Indeed, I did not see the Bible or Jesus Christ even mentioned in the descriptions of her, only her methods of filling the pews. "Progressive," so-called, Christian doctrine, dangerously detours away from Biblical truths, even as it sounds safe and even good. The fact that this young lady feels she must use foul language and unorthodox methods to "reach" people says it all. Billy Graham preached the same basic Gospel message for over for over 60 years, reaching over 200 million people for Christ - and never uttered one could word.

• DCHew Bounti, UT
    Nov. 9, 2013 12:22 p.m.

As a young missionary my companion and I dropped in on a Dutch Congregation church in upstate NY. The Church was vibrant and towered over the community. They had even come up with a home teaching and visiting teaching program, acts of kindness abounded. We met their Pastor and he was full of the spirit of God. He was excited and invited us to share with him a message for him. We proceeded to teach him about the restoration and the prophet Joseph. The spirit was so strong that we all had to pause because of the intensity of the Lord bearing witness to him, and us, of the truthfulness of our message. We were speechless when he asked why he was not told earlier in his life. The spirit instructed us to tell him he had been a schoolmaster to this congregation. We never met with him again. My conclusion is that there are people teaching the truth in pieces warming others to the Gospel in its entirety. Let's not judge the mission and burning that others experience and accept that the Lord works in mysterious ways that are not our ways.

• albertinamel REDMOND, WA
    Nov. 9, 2013 7:54 p.m.

I'm rather tired of Deseret News' highly subjective, sensationalist headlines. This article labels this minister as "liberal" (implying that's somehow unusual, unique, or undesirable) and "foul-mouthed" without even quoting a single controversial sentence from her. I doubt that I would find her language personally offensive. Dropping a few four-letter words for rhetorical emphasis, to me, is not "foul" or offensive. Using spiteful and cutting words to demean people, even without technically swearing, is completely un-Christian in my book. So while the subjective headline grabs your attention, the article really doesn't back up its claim that she is "liberal" or "foul-mouthed," though it seems well established that she does have at least one tattoo. I'll give the DN that one.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    Nov. 9, 2013 10:00 p.m.

@owlmaster2 ... Nobody here advocated not giving her food or drink if she needed it, or refusing any other aid and assistance.

Re. your 'judging' comment. Many who cannot or will not make critical distinctions always fall back on 'I don't judge people.' #1... Yes, he/she does, as you just did. #2... we are REQUIRED to judge those inside the church, told to do so. It is those outside the church we are to leave alone. See 1st Corinthians 5:11.

No religion I know of requires its followers to associate with the vulgar, inebriated, etc., in their state of vulgarity or inebriation or whatever else is self-defeating. AA people call that 'enabling'. In a few places in the BoM, prophets walked away from people determined to self-destruct.

So does God. Many times He turned his back and told the people, 'okay, then. Enjoy the ride to perdition.' The idea that He loves everyone regardless of who/what they are/do is just not scriptural.

• Moontan Roanoke, VA
    Nov. 9, 2013 10:24 p.m.

@albertinamel ... if you Googled her name and followed the links, you'd find that DN couldn't possibly print her words. We're not talking about the milder expletives one usually screams when hitting one's thumb with a hammer. No, no, no. She uses language that would cause a drunken sailor to blush. I'm sure you would be offended.

Re.." Using spiteful and cutting words to demean people, even without technically swearing, is completely un-Christian in my book." There is nothing cruel, hypocritical or demeaning about recognizing filth when filth is presented to you. It is simply acknowledging what is.

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    Nov. 11, 2013 11:41 a.m.

@ Ranch - Here, UT - "@gittalopctbi; "I am so thankful to be part of the Lord's true church..." --- Pride cometh before the fall..."

Correct, pride cometh before the fall.However.....what if it isn't "pride" but simply "truth" 'gittalopctbi' is proclaiming? Did Jesus proclaim truth? Why, yes He did. And He wasn't bashful about proclaiming it as truth, either. As a matter of fact, it got Him killed, remember?

I have more for you, 'Ranch'.... You said:

"@The Rock; "You can look for the truth."" --- "Truth" is subjective."

"Truth is subjective"?

Uhhh...actually, truth is not subjective.

Truth....pure truth....is not subjective ANYWHERE. It is not subjective in math, physics, chemistry, biology, engineering disciplines, or even religion. Truth is not a smorgasbord of "stuff" where you can simply pick and choose what you want. Truth, as a wise man once said, is simply "things the way they really are". That's it....the way things REALLY are.

Try your "truth is subjective" line of thinking when you stand up next to the Creator.

"Well, God, despite what you say, I was actually a very good person, no matter what you say. You see, truth is subjective, you know..."

• Liz Osborn Longmont, CO
    Nov. 11, 2013 4:11 p.m.

I will start by saying that I'm a Mormon, and I am very sad at the Deseret News' choice of headline to describe a fine woman who was in the past my neighbor, and the mother of my young daughter's best friend. Why on earth choose those words to describe a woman of faith, when "normal human being with a fiery sense of devotion and outreach" would have equally applied (though so would roller-derby queen). The only purpose that could have been intended was to draw a line for the largely LDS readers to say "she isn't one of us' or, as at least one commenter has noted (to paraphrase) "aren't you glad we don't have to do this." But oh we as LDS would be blessed by having among us someone with the heart and understanding Nadia has. I was blessed to have her for a neighbor.

The Lord needs more people willing to meet people where they are, without judgment, and to put forth the message -- faith in Christ will do you good -- in a manner that people can hear it. Good for you, Nadia! You rock.