Dick Harmon: BYU legends offer support, praise for Cougar quarterback Taysom Hill

Comments

• toosmartforyou Farmington, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 7:06 p.m.

Wisconsin, while winning today, certainly looks beatable.

Go Cougars!!

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Nov. 2, 2013 8:22 p.m.

Notre Dame looks very beatable too! Only 4 points separated the Irish from the Midshipman.... I'm liking the prospects of finishing on a 9 game tear! 10 if you count San Fran or wherever 9 straight could end em up.... I'm liking the upward progression since September 21st.... August 31st is the only do over I'd like to see! Especially after the dismantling of UVA today!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 8:37 p.m.

I've very seldom seen college quarterbacks with the combination of the running ability Taysom has always had and the passing ability he'

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 8:45 p.m.

Continued...

passing ability he's developed over his last 4 games. Utah is extremely fortunate they played BYU as early in the season as they did. There is simply no way either Utah or especially Virginia could beat BYU at this point of their season. This year will finish magically. The next game will convince even some of the few remaining hardcore skeptics. Watch and enjoy.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 9:35 p.m.

lol. 9 of 12 and 4 in a row is not extreme fortune.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 9:46 p.m.

And to think that this guy comes back for two more years. We could be at a very good point from the QB position. It gives new meaning to the Best Two Years,

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 10:00 p.m.

Toosmartforyou:
    Wisconsin looks big, nasty, and physical. They are good old fashion smash mouth all the way. Very good football team, and I agree with the announcers if that Wisconsin Iowa game today, Wisconsin is very under-rated. They are even better at camp Randall. BYU will need to play their best game of the year, but the way they're playing I can definitely see the Cougs coming away with a win. If they do, we could be looking at 10-2 and top 15 ranking if we beat ND. ND looks more beatable than Wisconsin to me, but they are both beatable and have weaknesses.

Tators:
    Who cares about Utah?

• BlueCoug Orem, UT
    Nov. 2, 2013 10:55 p.m.

"If he [Taysom Hill] continues to progress like he’s doing and working hard like he’s doing, he’s going to put up some numbers that people aren't accustomed to around here."

High praise from an All-American, National Championship winning member of BYU's Quarterback Factory.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Nov. 2, 2013 11:51 p.m.

ekute
    Layton, UT

"lol. 9 of 12 and 4 in a row is not extreme fortune."

Reading for content, lil bro. 8 of 11 and 3 in a row had nothing to do with when THIS year's game was played and whether the timing was fortunate or not.

Irony here is, ahead of the game, Wisconsin is huge. Beat 'em, and they were over-rated, no big deal. Lose to 'em, and it's all "BYU pipedreamin' again."

Still, given the choice, I say, "Come on Cougs! The stage keeps getting bigger; keep playin better!"

• BlackDiamond Provo, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 12:15 a.m.

@ ekute
    I like how Utes hate it when BYU fans bring up the past and look what you are doing. Yeah we have lost 4 years in a row and it is painful. But as a cougar fan I would rather have the BYU past. Champion, Heisman, NFL MVP. Utes would never know how that feels. That's right you all rather lose every game and be in the Pac12.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 5:58 a.m.

Great time to be a Cougar fan as the final stretch of November football is upon us, Wisconsin and ND games are winnable.

I certainly hope that the bye week has been used to develop some great plays and to hone the ability to play 'lights out' in both halves. Nothing but the best will do for these games!

And having the #6 QB? That's going to invoke some commentary today from the 'peanut gallery'.

Congrats to Taysom and team!

And Tom Holmoe, thanks for lining up Wisconsin and ND this month. Awesome schedule!

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Nov. 3, 2013 9:16 a.m.

A lot of hype going Hill's way. I would hope the media pulls it back a notch or 2. Although the potential is there, there is still room for much improvement, and declaring him one of the "Greats" is still premature.

Hill has been sacked 24 times this year. That is way, way too much and ranks very low in Division I. Much of that is on the O-line, but some of that is Hill's own fault. That has to get better, and when it does, watch out!

I watched Taysom in high school and I KNEW he was going to be special. Just how special is yet to be determined.
    Stay healthy!

• JLFuller Boise, ID
    Nov. 3, 2013 9:44 a.m.

What is it about BYU football that makes some Utah Mormons go all gooshy in the knees? The Cougars have been lackluster for so long that you would think rising from mere mediocrity to somewhat less mediocre was huge. So let me set the record straight: If your program has been in the top 15 in the past 5 years more than twice then they matter. If they have been in the top 15 in the last 5 years once then they could be considered a minor player. If they only see the top 15 from way outside the top 25 then they are pathetic.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Nov. 3, 2013 11:14 a.m.

The comparison to Andy Dalton is valid. And Dalton was able to stay healthy. Hill has a big, strong frame, great speed, breaks tackles and is becoming a good passer. What's not to like?

In a way, Hill reminds me of Angels CF Mike Trout. Big, strong, fast, and simply a phenomenal athlete. Trout is a future baseball Hall of Famer. Barring career-ending injury or a succession of concussions, like Young, Hill is heading for a great athletic career. Barring injury ...

I'll take BYU and the points next week.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 11:25 a.m.

JLFuller,

byu has a strong fan base within the Mormon culture and a local media that supports that culture.

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    Nov. 3, 2013 11:31 a.m.

I sure do miss Jake Heaps. He was the future of the program and his loss is still killing me. I lose sleep over how his departure destroyed the program. He will never be replaced and was our last chance at a great QB.

P.S. Ute fans - It's called sarcasm.

P.P.S. Utah State Fans - I still am sorry that you lost Chuckie - He also it the real deal.

P.P.P.S. Ute fans - that was not sarcasm - just in case you missed that one also.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Nov. 3, 2013 11:40 a.m.

The more Virginia gets embarrassed every week, the more I hate the thought that we even lost to them! At least Utah beat the #5 team in the nation even if they are struggling a bit now. But I love the improvements Taysom and the Cougars have made so far and hope they will continue to do well. If he continues to crank up the kind of numbers he's doing now, I don't think the Heisman conversation will ignore him. Winning brings notoriety, fame, and recognition whether you look for it or not.

Go Cougars! Go Utes! And oh, and how 'bout them Aggies? Their freshmen quarterback made mince meat of them Rainbow Warriors! They actually haven't missed a beat since their star q/b went down!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Nov. 3, 2013 11:57 a.m.

JLFuller
    Boise, ID

Is the harsh tone of your albeit true comments and your proximity to a team recently defeated by the aforementioned "pathetic" team strictly coincidental?

• fender Washington, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 11:58 a.m.

The physical talent is there no doubt and the accuracy is much better. That said, the assessment really needs to come after the Wisconsin and ND games. Wisconsin is a good team with a good quarterback and solid defense. Although ND isn't great this year, it's certainly a better gauge than Houston or GT. Utah State and Boise were minus starting quarterbacks, which reduced their quality as opponents substantially.

• CWEB Orem, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 12:22 p.m.

I'm not trying to be a hater, but I hear Bronco and Doman praising Hill up and down...but where was the praise or the endearment while Hill sat on the bench behind Nelson? Where was the recognition of his great potential as we watched BYU get beat again and again by teams with less talent? I'm loving it now, but for all of us fans who "know nothing" about the game, we were calling for Lark, Hill and others to have at least a chance...but we kept getting more Nelson...I'm SO thankful he graduated, or Hill would still be sitting on the bench...or worse...transferred.

One more point...lets see a little Olsen arm when we get a lead...so the kid is a little prepped just in case the worst happens. I'm just say'n...

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 3:31 p.m.

@JLFuller
    There still seems to be pain in Boise over BSU's collapse in Provo, but stop the whining and rationalization. BTW, games are played, not to change history, but to decide this year's winner.

Man up and let it go, this year's game is over and sniping at Taysom Hill or his fans will not change the score. It does no credit to legit BSU fans.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 4:08 p.m.

@ekute - Utah has a strong fan base in Utah only, among some non-Mormons and within a subset of the Mormon culture.

@CWEB - Hill was injured all last year after the Utah State game. So if you were looking for Hill to play, and really thought Lark was better than Nelson, and thought the Cougars were clearly more talented than ANY team that beat them last year, the "know nothing" label is probably appropriate. Fact is, BYU was better than average last year, not great, and every game they lost was to a comparable or superior team. And, in the time Lark played, he showed nothing better than what we saw from Nelson.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Nov. 3, 2013 5:41 p.m.

@JLFuller Still bitter about that incident a week ago where BYU took BSU to the wood shed?

BYU still has a greater legacy (program and individual honors) than bsu does.

Whine all you like You can't change that. It would take another decade.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 6:40 p.m.

Taysom Hill is exciting to watch. He is a really intelligent quarterback who dazzles with his feet and arm. After watching his accuracy and the acrobatic catches by BYU's tight ends against a good Boise State team:BYU should beat Wisconsin this weekend.Completing the season with wins at Notre Dame, ISU and Nevada should leave BYU ranked about 15-18th in the last poll.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Nov. 3, 2013 7:42 p.m.

Is it my imagination, or are there basically two groups of people making a case about Taysom Hill:

1) Those who trumpeted what a terrible quarterback he was because his passing was so abysmal, and 2) those who said "wait for it, the passing will come.

Now there are two basic groups of people making a case about Taysom Hill:

1) Those who say it's premature to pass any judgement on Hill, and 2) those who think he is well on his way to a Heisman.

Ironic that both groups, at one time or another, were/are quick to leap to judgement when it supports their pre-conceived belief, and both urge(d) restraint when their opinion is not validated by actual facts.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Nov. 3, 2013 7:47 p.m.

Just for the record I think Chris Petersen and the Boise State Broncos are a class act.Glad to see them defeat Colorado State. BYU has the chance to do something really special this year and that is defeat both Wisconsin and Notre Dame. Hoffman, Van Noy, Hadley, Apo and Taysom are as good of athletes as any on the Badgers or the Fighting Irish.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Nov. 3, 2013 8:42 p.m.

Hill is certainly better, but he's no Steve Young, Jim McMahon, or Ty Detmer yet. Proof is in winning.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 3, 2013 11:03 p.m.

JLFuller

BYU has been in the Top 15 three times in the last 8 years; one time in the Top 12, and they just finished dominating the Broncos, after a couple of one-point losses.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Nov. 3, 2013 11:06 p.m.

Wayne Rout

Ty Detmer said that Taysom is higher skilled than Ty.

• J Poll Gilford, NH
    Nov. 4, 2013 7:53 a.m.

And let us remember, "Pride goeth before the fall." Hill does have huge potential. I just hope he and the team and coaches ignore the comparisons and just focus on a game that has a top notch coach that has taken BYU to the wire and given the Cougs fits for several seasons, and did so with a team that had less overall talent and depth. The Cougs are in for the fight of their lives in Badgertown. Wisconsin is favored for a reason. Why Texas and Houston are ranked ahead of BYU is something to ponder deeply.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 7:54 a.m.

@Y Grad / Y Dad

So, which group are you in?

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Nov. 4, 2013 8:20 a.m.

DSB
    Cedar Hills, UT

Good question, thanks for asking!

I am completely in the group that blissfully drinks every drop of the blue koolaid and licks out the glass. I hope for the best for the cougars, I visualize great things happening for the boys in blue. I would LOVE to see Taysom win the Heisman and lead the cougars to the National Championship playoff game.

But I haven't started making next year's holiday commitments around that game and I haven't spent much effort visualizing how they will re-arrange the cougar football hall of fame to accomodate the extra hardware.

Yet.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Nov. 4, 2013 8:54 a.m.

@ekute, dsb, and friends...

Come back and talk to us when the big bad utes have won 18 out of 20 against their big brothers in the valley, or when one of the ute QBs or Running Backs win a national award, or when the utes actually win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP... Shoot, come back and talk to us the next time the utes have a winning season and are bowl eligible...

All College Football Experts (bot taken by bias will agree that BYU is the best team in the State this year and one of the best teams in the West... Clearly behind Oregon , but on a par with Stanford, UCLA, and ASU...

I really don't mind BYU going to the Fight Hunger Bowl to beat up on whatever team the PAC 12 sends against us (who, by the way, have probably dismantled our little Brothers on the hill)... The Cougs will restore some respect for football in Utah...

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 9:44 a.m.

@poyman

Not sure why you lumped me with ekute. I'm an avid Cougar fan who called out ekute at 4:08. Maybe you didn't catch it, but ekute implied BYU had a meager fan base within the Mormon culture. I conveyed that Utes' fan base is far smaller and more localized than BYU's, so it's silly for Ute fans to demean BYU's national appeal.

I look at things somewhat more realistically than a few commenters. Y Grad / Y Dad's most recent response is a great summary of how I feel, and I think it accurately represents the way most Cougar fans feel and express themselves. I don't believe there are many fans who confidently predict national championships and Heismans, so I don't really appreciate when people act like there's so much of that talk going on, like they're the only fans with their feet on the ground.

I realize a few fans can't abide reality, and heaven forbid an honest Cougar fan admit the team is good but not great. We're moving in the direction of great, and I hope we get there. Be real Cougar brother!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 10:07 a.m.

@ Cougsndawgs:

To answer your question...
    Perhaps it's just a pet peeve of mine, but I always enjoy beating Utah... always! So no matter how well the rest of the year goes afterwards, it would've always been a better year had we beaten them... at least in my mind.

And yes, to lose to a team like Virginia always sticks in my craw as well... especially when we obviously outplayed them and lose on one dumb play-call. Statistically, we beat both Virginia and Utah. So yes, when I think that we really could've and should've been unbeaten at this point (and thus ranked in the top 15), those losses to lesser teams do still bother me a bit. Just being honest.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Nov. 4, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Tators:
    It was actually a rethorical question. I was simply making a statement that Utah doesn't deserve our time or attention anymore. They're a two time flash in the pan nobody that the PAC intelligently brought in to put more wins in the elite programs' column. The fact we've lost to them recently really means nothing when they obviously can't beat anyone else (except a Stanford team that was completely out of character against them...for whatever reason). We have a national stage against a power program to focus on...the utes are in the rearview mirror which is where they will remain as long as BYU is winning and making noise while they're crying about injuries and SOS. I'm sure you agree. Cheers

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Nov. 4, 2013 1:42 p.m.

I will hype Taysom and our team if and AFTER they beat Wisconsin and ND. Not before. Lots of business to be taken care of before we start thumping our chests again (like before UVA and UT).