Utah

BYU raises tuition to $2,500 per semester

Comments

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 31, 2013 2:32 p.m.

Times have changed. I paid around two hundred per semester.

• JHP Okemos, MI
    Oct. 31, 2013 3:05 p.m.

I was very grateful for low BYU tuition when I attended (about $1,500). Now my tuition is $18,540.00 per semester.

• DN Subscriber 2 SLC, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 4:07 p.m.

Compare this to the University of Utah's current 2013 tuition, which we all know will increase faster than inflation for next year:
    Residents (12 hours)- $3,172
    Non-residents (12 hours)- $10,060

Not only do you get a better education, you get a safer campus, better societal values and less Marxist indoctrination at BYU. All for a much better price. And, BYU does not suck up a bunch of tax dollars every year.

There is a big lesson in this for all of us!

• Brother Benjamin Franklin Orem, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 4:12 p.m.

Why does this school need to raise tuition? Don't they get enough subsidies from the LDS Church?

• RDLV Costa Rica, 00
    Oct. 31, 2013 6:19 p.m.

A question for Ben;
    Why does the University of Utah need to raise tuition? Don't they get enough subsidies from the State of Utah? I think the answer is that neither the State of Utah nor the LDS church pays the entire cost of running the universities.

• JMH Provo, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 8:38 p.m.

I realize that BYU is heavily subsidized and the tuition remains well below the norm but my question is for higher education as a whole. When inflation is running at just over 1% a year how do universities justify the cost of education increasing at 3-5 times the rate of inflation? Why are their expenses increasing faster than the rest of society. Perhaps they are not but they feel they can get away with the increases because so much federal money is involved in student loans and Pell grants that nobody complains.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 31, 2013 8:50 p.m.

How pathetic!

Some people go through life expecting subsidies rather than accomplishing things on their own. Education comes from overcoming challenges.

• Floyd Johnson Broken Arrow, OK
    Oct. 31, 2013 11:27 p.m.

JMH

With government subsidized student loans, education models a third party payer system. No student can approach the university and state "tuition is too expensive, I cannot afford to be here," because the university can arrange unlimited financing for every student. Every level of university administration understands that tuition can be raised to fund any project or benefit, so there is no reason to pursue financial efficiencies. It is in the direct financial interest of universities to encourage students to borrow as much money as possible.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 8:42 a.m.

1979, yep it was cheaper at that time at BYU.

Might as well go to Alaska or Wyoming for cheaper tuition today. Or worse, go to Ivey League or Standord. What are you complaining?

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Nov. 1, 2013 8:46 a.m.

Wonderful, uplifting environment, a serious honor code, no foolish political correctness,a world class education, prettier girls, (my wife went to BYU) all for only $2500 per semester? Where do I sign up?

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 9:04 a.m.

@DN Subscriber 2
    "you get a safer campus"

I'll give you that one... as a state school Utah is required to have guns but as a private school BYU bans them so yeah BYU is safer.

• Laurels Sandy, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 9:15 a.m.

@DN Subscriber 2

BYU is an excellent school, but I respectfully take issue with a couple of your assertions.

You compared BYU to the U and wrote, "Not only do you get a better education..." That isn't true in all cases. All four of my children were accepted at BYU, offered scholarships, and three of them chose the U over BYU because the programs at the U in their area of study were superior to BYU's.

You also wrote, "BYU does not suck up a bunch of tax dollars every year." This is true, but the following, using your vernacular, is also true: "The U does not suck up a bunch of tithing dollars every year."

Both universities are heavily subsidized...one by taxpayer money, one by tithing money (from the BYU website--"...significant portions of university operating costs are paid with the tithes of Church members"). Much of the reason BYU's tuition is lower than the U's is because LDS Church leaders have kept the subsidizing level higher than the State Legislature has for the state universities.

Ultimately, students attending both institutions should be very grateful to those who are subsidizing the cost of their education.

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    Nov. 1, 2013 9:21 a.m.

free·dom
    ˈfrēdəm/
    noun
    The power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint. Having openness in speech or behavior.

One of my sons went to BYU and they wouldn't serve him breakfast on his first day of school because he had shaved the night before rather than that morning.

Freedom is priceless. Giving up freedom for lower tuition is foolish.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Nov. 1, 2013 9:35 a.m.

@ Wastintime. BYU isn't for everyone, just for those who believe freedom doesn't mean permission to behave badly. BYU is for people who see freedom as the right to choose for yourself!

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    Nov. 1, 2013 9:49 a.m.

@Mountainman

Since when is having a 5 o'clock shadow bad behavior! What could possibly be more 'foolishly politically correct' than having to wear your hair a certain length?

But I agree BYU is a pretty good place to get an education if you're not smart enough to study engineering. However if you are, then there are about 100 higher ranked engineering schools in United States alone. One of them is only 40 miles to the north.

• Mountanman Hayden, ID
    Nov. 1, 2013 10:08 a.m.

I was a Biology major and ended up graduating and working for an international chemical company. During my employment interview I was asked more questions about BYU's honor code than about my qualifications for the job. By the way, I got the job, I believe because of BYU honor code not in spite of it. Seems at least some employers care more about honor than school rankings. But that's no slam against the school up north. All the time I was at BYU I thought about the hundreds of well qualified students who would have gladly taken my place on campus. I felt myself lucky to be there and didn't mind shaving or cutting my hair one bit. If that is your "deal breaker", BYU is no place for you.

• Wastintime Los Angeles, CA
    Nov. 1, 2013 10:30 a.m.

Yes, I agree. If an employer wants to hire someone who will comply with even its most ridiculous rules and most meaningless regulations, then a BYU grad is the perfect applicant. However in today's world where technological innovation is highly valued, where asking "why not?" is essential, where questioning and discovery and creativity is essential to survival, the authoritarian follower personality is not so valued.

• Xian Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
    Nov. 1, 2013 1:20 p.m.

Tuition for me at BYU was $50 a quarter.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Nov. 1, 2013 1:31 p.m.

Wastintime: from the new york times: Jon Mooallem article on graduates from Brigham Young University's acclaimed animation program, who are in high demand at country's top animation studios and effects companies; notes this is due to clean-cut, values-oriented Mormon sensibility program has instilled in them.

• bored2 Lindon, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 1:41 p.m.

Wow @wastintime, somebody has a big chip on their shoulder. Good thing we aren't forced to attend BYU, or do anything that would be the slightest bit inconvenient to us. If it feels too "authoritarian" to live with a few basic guidelines, then you don't understand what true freedom means.

• metamoracoug metamora, IL
    Nov. 1, 2013 1:43 p.m.

In state tuition for U of Illinois is $5900 per semester. For this reason and many others, I'm delighted that my daughters are choosing to go to BYU.