Utah Jazz: Thunder eke out 101-98 season-opening win over gutsy Jazz

Comments

• Little Andy Tremonton, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 9:47 p.m.

Looks like 0 for Tinsley picked up where he left off.. Still don't want to start Burks Corbin???

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 10:56 p.m.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: be prepared for these kinds of games, Jazz fans (myself included). There will be a few nights of brilliance, plenty of horror nights, and lots of close losses. But, the hope is that as the season moves on into spring, we figure out how to win those close games. If Corbin can keep this team together long enough for that to happen, the next 5 years are going to be very, very entertaining.

The biggest fanbase problem I see for the Jazz is the tantalizing wins and close losses that make the fans believe this team is something it isn't...yet.

As for Burks, I actually like him coming off the bench where he can be "the guy" and take over a game. I don't want to see him start but I do want to see him getting around 25-30 minutes a game.

• Mortoon Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 30, 2013 11:21 p.m.

This is pro ball.... There are no moral victories!

• Jay Linds Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 30, 2013 11:43 p.m.

It is no secret that the Jazz are trying to build for the future. From the moves this off-season, the Jazz will have lots of money to spend next year, so hopefully they can sign a good free agent or two. For this year, in my opinion, the focus should be:

1. Development of the young players
    2. Play hard each night and hopefully keep games close to keep fans entertained
    3. Lose most games to ensure good draft pick

Tonight = Mission accomplished for the most part. What I don't understand is why even give minutes to Jefferson, and why sign Tinsley? I would rather see those minutes going to some of the younger players.

• TallNSkinny43 Germantown, MD
    Oct. 31, 2013 12:02 a.m.

I agree with Thriller. Today Burks got more minutes than anyone but Favors, so coming off the bench isn't a big deal.

• Americanvet Ivins, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 12:10 a.m.

The Jazz really played well in 3 out of 4 quarters. That ugly 3rd quarter doomed them. The Jazz threw some great passes in the 3rd quarter but the problem was they were passing to OKC for steals and then fast break dunks. That's going to hurt in a close ball game like this ended up being. We need to play smarter with the ball for all 4 quarters obviously. I did like the effort and even though Gobert didn't have a big night I thought he did some nice things and it looks like he will be a very nice player for the Jazz.

• AggieFan82 OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 12:16 a.m.

Why start Burks? He is the spark off the bench. Without him our bench doesn't score hardly at all!

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 2:01 a.m.

We will have a winning season if this keeps up. Even make the playoffs. This team is for real.The wins will come with these close games to start as the team gells. Go Jazz

• bigirish OREM, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 6:34 a.m.

I like talk I'm hearing of a possible trade for Jimmer. I know, he's fizzled in Sacramento, but the Jazz would give him that return-to-Utah confidence. We need a shooter from long and Jimmer has shown he has the skills. I say give him a chance...

• Jazzledazzle Provo, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 7:09 a.m.

@Jay Linds

You ask a valid question about why Jefferson and some of the vets even play...

In my opinion this is to help the young guys. They know even though a guy like Jefferson is not a superstar, he has been around the league for a while. It gives them someone to learn from on the court, verbally, and just some sort of veteran presence and leadership. His minutes need to stay limited and I think Burks, Hayward, Favors, Kanter and the youngsters will see plenty of minutes.

• JBQ Saint Louis, MO
    Oct. 31, 2013 7:19 a.m.

Several stats really "jump out". Free Throws: 67% to 88% for the Thunder. 25% on 3s. Durant hit as stated 22-24 on freebies. The Baby Jazz need to stay the course and follow the game plan. However, free throws (especially for Favors) are a definite weakness. Hayward is not real sharp on 3s. They need to find a young 3 pt shooter. Foye from Villanova was really good but got caught in the youth movement. He shot about 46%. Finally, Westbrook was a significant no show. The Jazz need to keep their head screwed on tight and develop. It is one day at a time. Corbin is a teacher. Let's see what he can do. Slow and steady wins the race.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Oct. 31, 2013 7:35 a.m.

Hardly any mention of Mike Harris. I thought he was amazing in his role and as far as Alex coming off the bench? Listen, if having him out there seems to facilitate Harris--stick with it. I thought Corbins rotations were amazing last night. A few less turnovers and that game was ours in a walkover. Amazing 4th quarter and there will be more of them.

• joe5 South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 7:57 a.m.

After reading this article, I looked really hard at the standings. Nowhere could I find the column for moral victories. Under W, I saw a 0 for the Jazz; under L, I saw a 1.

For those complaining about Jefferson, he played a great game last night.

For those clamoring for more minutes for the young guys, how many will be enough for you? Shall we run Favors, Hayward, Kanter, and Burks 48 minutes a game? That would be great when they are all on injured reserve by mid-season, wouldn't it? The secret is to play them enough to build skills and confidence but not to run them into the ground to the point they are playing fatigued. Fatigue leads to poor performance and a lack of confidence. It leads to eroding skills when mechanics start to fail.

• mdp Bountiful, utah
    Oct. 31, 2013 8:27 a.m.

The Jazz looked better than I was expecting- pretty good defense and a lot of young team mistakes pretty much expected for this early in the season: too many turnovers, lousy outside shooting, too many fouls, etc. They will get better with experience. Hayward has always been a slow starter with his shooting touch- they need him. I thought Jefferson and Harris looked good, Burks great in this game.

• Sneaky Jimmy Bay Area, CA
    Oct. 31, 2013 9:20 a.m.

The jazz looked pretty good for most of the game. The SAME BLARING WEAKNESS was apparent last night: they CANNOT close out a game. They have no one to go to that can seal a win. I really think Jimmer would be the guy to close out a game for them. You need someone with ice water in their veins that can hit foul shots and 3 pointers when needed. I'm not as high on Hayward as everyone else. I just don't see him as a consistent go-to guy. Trade him to Indiana or Boston since that is where he really wants to be.

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 9:44 a.m.

Gonna be a LONG year if Hayward is the "GO TO" guy.

• fortydam OREM, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 9:51 a.m.

Hayward hasn't got that good of shooting form! His feet are seldom in the right spot, and he throws up bricks. I hope they don't over pay this kid. I thought the game was great! Little Andy, Burks isn't a point guard! I'm not sure how many of those turnovers he caused directly, but he's better suited for a two. For the most part he is a terrible passer and not the slickest of ball handlers. I really thought Ian Clark would get a look. After so many bricks, he would have been another credible shooter.

• tizer Helena, MT
    Oct. 31, 2013 10:20 a.m.

The Jazz won the 3rd quarter. Nothing ugly about that!

• scalman Temecula, CA
    Oct. 31, 2013 11:09 a.m.

@fortydam
    One thing Burks is not is a terrible passer, even if he makes the occasional terrible pass. Coming out of college as a dominating two who could play some point, he had at least four things going for him...hops, overall scoring ability, and excellent passing and rebounding skills for a two. He is still so young and inexperienced, but great to watch, huh? Good game, Alec.

• Man in Charge Chihiuahua, 00
    Oct. 31, 2013 12:05 p.m.

Meanwhile, MCW the 11th pick of the draft, scores 22 points, 12 assists, and 9 steals in his NBA debut against the world champs, the Miami Heat.

We dun picked the wrong point guard.

• There You Go Again Saint George, UT
    Oct. 31, 2013 12:44 p.m.

The difference between taking the shot and making the shot...

is like the difference between lightening and a lightening bug.

• SWWeatherGuy South Weber, UT
    Nov. 1, 2013 2:43 p.m.

A lot of comments on here are humorous, more so since we're one game into the season. MWC had one great game, let's talk about him after he's played 20-30 and see if he's still as good. We still don't know anything about him or TB for that matter. The Jazz aren't picking up Jimmer and they don't need him. Going forward, the Jazz don't need anything that would set them back defensively.

The Jazz can lose all 82 for all I know or care, but their first game was the most entertained I've been watch them play for at least two years. Mid-way through the first quarter and most of the 4th quarter I couldn't stop smiling. There is so much potential with this team and it was so refreshing seeing them play as a team. If I never again see the Jazz dumping it off to their PF for a 10-12 jump-shot 50 times a game while playing no defense, it'll be too soon. This is going to be a very entertaining year indeed!