Utah

About Utah: He got away from it all — and met the nicest people

Comments

• PDonty Tooele, UT
    Oct. 27, 2013 10:14 p.m.

I followed quite a few trail journals this year in preparation for my own hike of the PCT in the near future. It's great to see a fellow Utahn complete the journey, especially with all the early snows in the Cascades this year.

• Lasvegaspam Henderson, NV
    Oct. 27, 2013 11:40 p.m.

What an awesome story. Thanks for writing it. And, Richard, thanks for living it, walking it, and mostly for your love of adventure.

• cjb Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 6:39 a.m.

Interesting article. I'd be interested to read a follow on article discussing the details of how or if he cooked food and how he got resupplied. Also some details about the trail. Is is usually within sight of the ocean?

• CC Saint George, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 6:55 a.m.

Great story! I met Richard when he had a retail store in St.George, and marveled at his solo trip rowing the Atlantic. Glad to hear he is still finding the next great adventure! Such a nice guy too.

• TA1 Alexandria, VA
    Oct. 28, 2013 7:20 a.m.

Great story and a great example of what we should all try to do. Definitely need more stories like this one - much more uplifting that the usual things in the media these days!

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Oct. 28, 2013 8:25 a.m.

I'm 63. I'm inspired by this. I'm gonna talk to my wife about doing this together! What a great way to build and preserve good health as we age!

• Back Overland Park, KS
    Oct. 28, 2013 12:09 p.m.

Congrats Richard! I freelanced some river trips for him when he owned World Wide back in the 80's. He originally worked for Western River Expeditions for Jack Curry, then eventually started his own river company. He is a very nice man. I had no idea of his other accomplishments - pretty impressive!!! Keep going!