Don't expect defensive slugfest this time when BYU and Boise State collide

Comments

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 22, 2013 8:15 p.m.

I'm really surprised BYU is favored in this game. Depending on what poll you look at they are pretty similarly ranked, but history favors BSU.
    I'm going to this game with family members who are hard core BSU fans. I want this one bad.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 22, 2013 9:00 p.m.

This should be a heckuva game. BSU has indeed owned all three Utah schools. It's time to turn the tide.

Some are worried about BSUs backup QB who is more mobile. Our D front seven has proven that mobile QBs are less of a threat than those who can pick apart our DBs. BYU will break the smurf blue curse on Friday and secure a W.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 22, 2013 9:22 p.m.

@idablu

Being similarly ranked means squat. Rankings are a joke. BYU wins this going away. Boise State has been fading with a cake schedule that makes BYU's schedule look challenging. They have their second string QB and BYU is at home. I would be surprised if BYU loses this one.

Think how bizarre BYU has been over the last two years. A 7-6 loss at Boise State last year and a 47-46 win at Houston. Then earlier this year BYU's offense was Mr. Hyde but now it's Dr. Jeckyll. I think Taysom Hill has more than surprised many rather they be blue or red. That said, Anae and the offensive line have really grown as well.

I love the character of Jamaal williams as well.

• mdance86 Sandy, UT
    Oct. 22, 2013 10:38 p.m.

@gdog3finally

"BYU wins this going away. Boise State has been fading with a cake schedule that makes BYU's schedule look challenging."

I believe Fresno St is ranked higher than anybody on BYU's schedule. Granted, Boise lost that game by 1 point. But Fresno is a LOT better than BYU, with a better QB to boot. Boise continues that state of Utah domination. Wins by 2 scores. BYU won't be able to hang...

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Oct. 22, 2013 11:11 p.m.

Haha, funny how each side always thinks they are going to win and always has some data to back it up!

I'm excited to watch the game, should be great fun. Go Cougars!

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Oct. 23, 2013 6:38 a.m.

Apparently some BYU fans learned little from the Houston game. Never discount an opponent, no matter who they've played in the past. BSU has owned BYU, so we should expect the best out of BSU, who is never, ever a pushover.

• trueblueBYU Provo, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 6:48 a.m.

mdance86

All of the following on BYU schedule ranked higher than Fresno State:
    Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Texas, Georgia Tech, Utah, Utah State

So your point was?

• TamaBYU Provo, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 7:38 a.m.

Don't really care if its going to be a defensive slug or a shootout. Just hope we get the "W."

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Oct. 23, 2013 7:45 a.m.

I have to agree that the new quarterback, whom a lot of people have been touting as better than the starter, is stronger run, weaker pass. I hope like crazy that I'm right. That improves our defensive picture.

By the way, how is it that Peterson > Mendenhall, but he started the lesser quarterback? Some might say we did the same thing with Ziggy last year, but I say Ziggy grew by leaps and bounds, and grew into his position from the beginning of the season. Again, here's hoping the new quarterback does not also grow exponentially at our expense.

• bigirish OREM, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 7:50 a.m.

I fear that trying to have so many fast plays is wearing our line out and impacts on the protection they can give TH with their constant rotation in and out and lack of O-line continuity. So many plays at a fast pace doesn't really seem to be baffling or wearing out our opponents that much - and maybe it's wearing out our line more. We barely eked out a win against Houston, not a team that was highly touted nationally but better than we expected obviously. Trying to run so many plays also seems to stifle creativity in play calling. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out against Boise.
    Our D needs to step up and stop the points - and the O-line has got to protect TH. 8 sacks at Houston could also be the result of too much rotation just to be fresh for trying to have so many plays - but it also creates a lot of mistakes. You can't have high execution and have high speed but less creative play calling too, maybe. And less protection of the QB.

• Gorum The Old Madison, AL
    Oct. 23, 2013 7:52 a.m.

"but history favors BSU"

Then it is a aood thing history isn't reffing the game, because that is about the only way it could sffect the outcome.

• goforit Provo, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 7:53 a.m.

Coach Peterson is a great coach and will do what Houston and Georgia Tech did in the second half all game. He will also exploit BYU'S defensive weaknesses the way Houston did.

It will be close in the first half but Boise State pulls away in the second half when BYU'S offensive and defensive lines tire.

Boise State 31 BYU 20.

• evansrichdm west jordan , UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 7:53 a.m.

TamaBYU

Agreed with your comment, I just want a win. A win against this team will be big no matter how you slice it. If and hoping BYU they will have six wins for the season, so we have the bowl games sured up. Beating BSU will look good because BSU will bring the best game they can, so if BYU it will get them to the next level to play Wisconsin and Notre Dame.

GO BYU!!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 8:07 a.m.

Boise was the better team last year and I expect them to be this year as well.

This week, aggies and Utes unite: Go Boise!

• TamaBYU Provo, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 8:41 a.m.

@Chis B
    You are the man. Your comments on BYU articles does not make me hate the Utes coz I have cousins that play on their team. But if you are supporting Boise State, I'm sure they would actually appreciate it if you would show your support on their facebook page or something where they can read it.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 23, 2013 9:07 a.m.

A good matchup, that should make for a good game. Prime time and on center stage. I love the Friday night games; looking forward to watching it!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 23, 2013 9:11 a.m.

USC was the better team last year and I expect them to be this year as well.

This week, Aggies and Cougs unite: Go Trojans!

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 23, 2013 9:12 a.m.

Chris B.
    USC was better last year. And even with injuries they are favored again.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Oct. 23, 2013 9:13 a.m.

@TamaBYU
    You and other BYU fans on this board don't matter. Neither do the Utah fans on this board. We don't matter. But think how boring this board would be without Chris B, Amos B Hoople and the rest. Keep it up, Ute fans. These are the only boards I read because of the banter. UW boards are boring. Oregon fans just don't bother to post, having won 10 years in a row.

This Utah BYU rivalry is special, exceeding even UCLA-USC. And it goes on all year. Makes these boards entertaining.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 23, 2013 9:13 a.m.

That is with only 56 Scholarship players due to sanctions.

• Gone fishin PAC Country, WA
    Oct. 23, 2013 9:42 a.m.

Thank you Chris for the prediction on a BSU win. Since your predictions are very seldom correct this means that BYUI will win. We appreciate the support.

• cougar76 Raleigh, NC
    Oct. 23, 2013 9:51 a.m.

Go BYU! Go USU! Go USC!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 23, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Boise State doesn't have the offense Houston does.

BYU 38
    Boise State 17

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 10:30 a.m.

This will be another test to see just how much progress BYU and TH have made. If BYU can minimize the mistakes and TOs they had against Houston, I think they win this going away. If they don't, BSU wins it and continues the ofer of Utah schools against them.

• The Solution Dayton, OH
    Oct. 23, 2013 11:54 a.m.

I expect a good and close game. Unfortunately, BSU as had a bit of the Utah effect where they are able to get inside our players' heads. Matt Payne never missed easy field goals, but he did on the smurf turf resulting in a one-point loss. Last year Riley Nelson couldn't score--yeah he was hurt--but usual he would a way to score at least some points.

This year we have a healthy QB with a ton of good receivers, an amazing RB, an effective kicker, and a guy who is still itching to take a kick return to the house without a penalty being called. There will be points on the board this year. The question how many and how will our defense do?

Go COUGS!

• RSLfanalways West Valley, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 12:06 p.m.

With BSU losing their starting quarterback I would give BYU the advantage, but their backup quarterback has been proving he may be better than the starter. With BSU in the MWC USU will cheer for them that is the nice thing about being in a conference.

• New to Utah PAYSON, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 1:38 p.m.

This game reminds me a lot of the Boise State vs Oklahoma game in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl.Nobody gave BSU a chance because they were playing Oklahoma with Adrian Peterson no less. This game was a classic because BSU met Oklahoma's athleticism and coach Petersens hook and ladder and then statue of liberty got them the victory. BYU should win this going away but having watched BSU dismantle USU in Logan with real intelligent play I think it will be close. Also BSU plays incredible on national TV. I don't know that the youth of the Bronco's can match the experience and size of BYU for the full game. I honestly have no idea how this game will turn out but it is a game that I'm going to watch.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Oct. 23, 2013 3:57 p.m.

I will be there cheering my head off....GO COUGS!!!!!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 23, 2013 4:13 p.m.

@Worf and Cougar76

What does USC have to do with the Boise St vs. BYU game? Are you really that infatuated with Utah? Stay on topic.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Oct. 23, 2013 11:32 p.m.

I think the line is about right on this one, BYU by 7. BSU backup is a good runner but appears to be more of a dink and dunk thrower. BYU has defended well against running QBs and I expect that will continue. What it comes down to imo is QB play in this one and I believe BYU has the advantage with Taysom.

Go Cougars!

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 12:13 a.m.

I can't say who will win yet. Is a PAC 12 referee crew doing the game?

• oaklandaforlife SLC, UT
    Oct. 24, 2013 9:54 a.m.

Boise does not have the talent as in years past. This should be an easy victory for BYU. The current point spread is BYU favored by 7. BYU should win this one by 21 at least.