BYU football: Cougars eager to hit the road, play unbeaten Houston

Comments

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 17, 2013 2:55 p.m.

Good luck cougars.
    IF you aren't a cougar fan and post on this article you may need help.

• Reasonable thinker PAC Country, WA
    Oct. 17, 2013 5:08 p.m.

I like their chances at Houston. It is likely that there may be almost as many BYU fans as Houston fans in attendance. I agree with Bronco that this is fertile recruiting ground.
    Houston has not played a strong schedule yet so their W-L record is misleading.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Oct. 17, 2013 8:27 p.m.

Looking forward to the game. Houston's players are generally smaller but very fast. They've built their team for speed, should be a fun game to watch! Go Cougars!

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Oct. 17, 2013 9:22 p.m.

BYU should be 6-0, but they let everyone down. I hope this game brings more intensity and focus. We haven't figured out that part yet. Every down counts. Bring it to the field Cougars.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Oct. 17, 2013 9:48 p.m.

Doesn't sound like you pay a whole lot of attention to attendance gdog... Byu out pulls Utah by nearly 20,000 a weekend regardless of who the utes play... And it really hasn't mattered alot who BYU was playing... That's nearly 30% more a game, not to mention the difference in TV Viewership between the 2 schools, which is a huge differential...

I live in East Texas and will probably drive 3.5 hours to the game with about another 200 from my stake... Dallas will have a large contingency there and the Houston area will have a huge BYU contingency there.... Further more, the Houston Cougars draw pretty well themselves and the school has well over 30,000 students...

If you want to see sparcely attended games, take a look at the Colliseum this year when the utes go to LA, or Pullman, WA when the utes go to WSU... Worse yet, if the utes still have only 4 wins win they play Colorado at the end of the season, watch and see how empty RES will be...

In Basketball the last 2 years? The attendance at the utes Huntsman Center was downright embarrassing... Except when playing BYU.

• Turtles Run Houston, TX
    Oct. 17, 2013 9:50 p.m.

Houston generally brings in at least 35,000 fans per game. With the city's large LDS numbers plus those around the state I expect at least another 20,000 BYU fans to show up, so the stadium will not appear empty. With this being the toughest game on the schedule so far for UH I expect quite a number of fans to come root for the red cougars, myself included.

Good game to all.

• LonestarRunner Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 17, 2013 10:07 p.m.

gdog3finally

"I would be surprised if more than 25,000 show up..."

Be prepared to be surprised; 10,000 to 15,000 BYU fans are expected, so if only 25,000 fans show, it'll be a predominately BYU crowd.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 18, 2013 3:54 a.m.

Good on you. Go attend this game in Houston BYU fans. I am just saying that the intensity won't be there from the Houston Cougar fans. It's no grand stage.

BYU fans, just think how excited you guys will be to attend big match ups @ Notre Dame and Wisconsin. Those might be the only two games BYU loses as well. Although I do think BYU matches up well against the Irish.

I am anxiously waiting for the overall record argument from the blue when they say they have the better team because they won more games and get into the top 25 because of exposure. It's then we will hear about the so called experts (rankings and Sagarin malarky).

Remember 2011? BYU went 10-3 and Utah 8-5. Utah was clearly the better team beating BYU 54-10 that year. Utah played a PAC 12 schedule. BYU went 3-3 against the better part of their schedule. Then came the SEVEN patsies (all wins). Here they are: UCF, San Jose State, Idaho State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Hawaii, and Tulsa. Yes BYU actually played those seven teams that season. Top 25? That's ridiculous.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 18, 2013 7:47 a.m.

gdog
    No matter how you spin it playing at a NFL venue is pretty awesome.
    Remember 2011? yeah I do 2010,2011 were probably the worst teams ever fielded under Mendenhall.
    I agree that BYU played a couple weak schedules and have one next year. But I will side with the rankings, because those people know football better than any fan on this board.
    Go Utes and Cougs.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 18, 2013 7:48 a.m.

gdog,
    please note the first comment. This is a Cougar Article

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 18, 2013 8:36 a.m.

Our DBs will get tested against Houston. I think Houston employs the best passing attack of any team we've faced this year. If we can control their passing game, it will be great day in Houston.

Looking forward to making the 250 mile trek to Houston as soon as work is over. Go Cougs!

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 18, 2013 9:20 a.m.

CougfaninTX
    Congrats on being able to go to the game. wish I could go to one.

• dustman Gallup, NM
    Oct. 18, 2013 9:42 a.m.

If Houston is as weak as everyone says they are, I hope BYU will pass the ball. I hope they use the opportunity to practice throwing the ball. I fear that Houston will be so bad that Hill will just decide to run the ball all by himself. I wish Hill'd let his running backs run the ball, have his receivers catch the ball, and have himself just throw the ball (running only when he has to). Hill has to stay healthy for a few more years. I wish he'd quit taking a beating.

• DRay Roy, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 10:06 a.m.

It will be up to KVN, Hadley, & the front defensive 7 to pressure the freshman QB, to win the game. Hope the blue Cougars are up for this game, high energy from play 1! They are the best team in the Nation, (best team doesn't always win-Coaches are also a factor, they have to really manage field position and the clock, play calling, etc)....Blue Cougars are #1! O-Line is another key to winning; SI did a great story on the Alabama O-Line, Cyrus & Arie Kouanddijo are rock stars of the Tide. Article also lists 5 O-Line talents from other schools...we need to give shout outs to our O-Line, give them credit, as it all starts with them.

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 10:27 a.m.

I think BYU should win this game but I also thought they should win against Virginia. It's just so hard to predict this one because Houston is a very different team and has faced very different opponents. I'm sure the players and coaches aren't overlooking Houston but I also hope fans aren't. Karma can really stink. I do think it's exciting to play in an NFL stadium even if they're only selling the lower bowl. Love to the see BYU have a great game on both sides of the ball. UH's turnover margin is a bit concerning so BYU needs to hold on to the ball. Hated seeing the fumbles in the red/blue zone. I think UH may be underestimating our defense which is fine. Looking forward to seeing it shake out but a bit nervous. Go Blue Coug's!!

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Oct. 18, 2013 10:27 a.m.

gdog3finally makes a decent educated guess: "I would be surprised if more than 25,000 show up"

BYU has recently played four road teams with 25k fans or fewer (total capacity in parenthesis)...
    at USU, 2013 25k, 2010 24k, 2008 23k (25k, 90%-sold out)
    at SJSU, 2012 15k (30k, 50% capacity)
    at NMSU, 2012 13k (30k, 43% capacity)
    at CSU, 2011 16k, 2008 20k (32k, 50-63% capacity)

BYU has played at three NFL stadiums in the last four years..
    Qualcomm stadium vs. SDSU, 2012 35k, 2009 30k (70k, 45-50% capacity)
    Cowboys stadium vs. TCU, 2011 50k, 2009 OU 75K (100k, 50-75% capacity)
    Louisiana Superdome vs. Tulane, 2009 26k (70k, 35% capacity)

Houston is a better program than SJSU, NMSU, CSU, SDSU, and Tulane. USU isn't a good measuring stick because there would have been more fans if the stadium was larger. Houston is not as formidable as Oklahoma or TCU.
    Houston is 5-0 and in Texas... based on all these factors I predict the actual attendance will be 35-40,000. I would be surprised if it's as low as gdog3finally predicted but he obviously didn't do any research.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 10:42 a.m.

@ Turtles Run

• souptwins Lindon, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 11:08 a.m.

Why on earth are any of you arguing/predicting attendance? Is that really such an important thing? Honestly?! Get a life and at least talk about the teams and game. Attendance is far more a reflection of the home team although some teams travel better than others & BYU is one of them. End of subject and big freaking deal!

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Oct. 18, 2013 11:09 a.m.

RE: Two For Flinching

"Houston's last home game drew a whole 20,000 people. They drew under 35K when they played Rice (which is also located in Houston). In fact, Robertson Stadium didn't even hold 35,000; the largest crowd ever was 32,400.... There will be a lot of "Cougar" fans there, but it will be an empty stadium."

Yes, and Houston also sold out games against Texas St, Georgia St, Marshall, SMU, and Southern Miss. BYU is a significant step up from Rice, Memphis, etc. I think it's safe to say that 35k fans are all but guaranteed for this one but it will more likely be 40-45k.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 11:32 a.m.

@ souptwins

Houston is a paper tiger. They know it, their fans know it (which is why they don't come), and BYU knows it. BYU wins this one easily.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 11:41 a.m.

@ Wiscougarfan

BYU is a big step up from Memphis. I'm not so sure about Rice though. BYU is definitely a bigger name, but Rice is in Houston, and it's a rivalry game (Bayou Bucket). My guess is 35-40K with 10-15K BYU fans. I expect BYU to win, and cover.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 18, 2013 11:50 a.m.

Houston Cougars
    17 AP top 25 finishes
    two top 5 finishes
    1 heisman winner
    18 consensus all americans.
    Sounds like it would be the 2nd most prestigious and legendary program in Utah.
    Second to the one program with a NT.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 12:32 p.m.

Cougars (the mountain ones, not the plains ones) will win. Houston is easily the worst undefeated team left with their toughest opponent so far being their one touchdown win over Rice. Even lowly Memphis held Houston to under 40 rushing yards.

• SlopJ30 St Louis, MO
    Oct. 18, 2013 12:32 p.m.

It's kind of funny that Bronco is pumping up the novelty of visiting new places . . when we're talking about Houston. It's not like Houston is Sri Lanka or Rio. Hey, nothing against Houston or Texas, but it's just not that exotic.

• TheBleak West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 1:11 p.m.

Poyman-
    You realize BYU's stadium holds a lot more people than Utah's, right? Obviously their attendance would be larger. My question is, why are you turning that into a dig at Utah when this article concerns your team and Houston?

I agree that Utah fans should stop taking digs at BYU, it is annoying (Coming from a Utah fan) Also very annoying, is BYU fans taking digs at Utah for no reason.

Can both sides just stop already? What does Utah's attendance have to do with the BYU and Houston game? Poyman, I am calling on you for that answer!

Besmart- You criticize Utah fans for being antagonistic, why not call out BYU fans for doing the same? I know you are talking to ChrisB, Utah fans call him out too. What is your answer?

TrueBlue- Most of those discussing attendance are BYU fans, just throwing that out there.

And obviously BYU has a bigger fan base, they are the LDS schools team. People cheer for them for that reason alone, which makes sense. How is that possibly connected to Utah? Nobody expects a native (Insert State) to cheer for the UofU, that makes no sense.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 18, 2013 1:24 p.m.

Good luck Cougs
    TheBleak
    I do go on Utah articles and defend Utah (go see a couple of the basketball articles) I cheer for both these schools.
    I think they have a right to go read their article comment on it, and enjoy it.
    Do I think this happens no.
    I think Utah and BYU should be proud of where their athletics are. I know I am
    Go Utah Schools

• WisCoug VERONA, WI
    Oct. 18, 2013 1:44 p.m.

@Two for Flinching

I am from Katy (just west of Houston) and I can tell you that Houston-Rice is not a real rivalry game. The all-time is 29-11 in favor of Houston and even at 4-2 this year, there is not a single person in the city of Houston who is not a student or alumni of Rice that would pay money to watch them play anything but baseball. Add to all this that Rice has approximately 3,000 undergraduate students (and no more than 5,500 students altogether) and you begin to understand why not a lot of people attended the Rice-Houston game.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 2:12 p.m.

Poyman,

Considering more than half the state is a BYU fan simply due to church affiliation, Utah is actually doing better. My guess is that less than a fifth of the state is a Utah fan. Since I'm a stats person the state has nearly 3 million. If 1.5 million are filling 60,000 each week and 600,000 fans are filling 45,000 each week, who has the higher percentage of fans coming each week? Utah fans by far. As a national audience, it is BYU due to the church affiliation and nothing else. Most of the BYU fans that attend away games are from the local area, stakes, etc.

By the way, the only two sell outs at Lavell Edwards Stadium in 2013 were University of Utah and Stadium of Fire. Utah has exceeded the capacity three years in a row even against Northern Colorado and Weber.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 2:17 p.m.

@ Be Smart

What is an NT?

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Oct. 18, 2013 3:14 p.m.

RE: IndeMak

"As a national audience, it is BYU due to the church affiliation and nothing else. Most of the BYU fans that attend away games are from the local area, stakes, etc."

That's just ridiculous. Obviously not all members of the LDS faith are BYU fans, even though BYU is the church's flagship school. What makes athletic fans? I'm sure the number one criteria is alumni. BYU has approximately 370,000 living alumni many of which live outside the state of Utah. I've personally lived in four states outside of Utah, and the wards I've attended average 2-5 Utah graduates and about 30-50 BYU graduates. Many of those who aren't BYU grads appreciate the unique mission of BYU and many want to send their children to school there.

"By the way, the only two sell outs at Lavell Edwards Stadium in 2013 were University of Utah and Stadium of Fire."

Also not true. Texas was a sellout and GT was only a few thousand short. BYU and Utah both play every game at or near capacity.

• BeSmart Cheyenne, WY
    Oct. 18, 2013 3:33 p.m.

To back up Wiscougarfan
    In my ward their is an avid Ute fan and I mean avid (he is a BYU alum). When his boy was getting ready for college he had scholarships to many schools, but he got accepted to BYU.
    This Ute fan (BYU alum) told his son if you want a great education go to BYU. He sent his son to BYU.
    He also loves how BYU sports are a good way for people to learn about the LDS faith.

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 5:53 p.m.

Sometimes the comments in these articles remind me of my 3 and 5 yr. old son's muscle flexing contests. As a BYU alumnus and rabid cougar fan, I am as proud of the BYU athletics progams as any time in the past. At the same time I've got to give props to the U of U(in football). Their fans have tasted success and are very supportive of their team. Cougar fans could learn from the U in that way and from the creativity of USU fans. Having said that, the future looks bright in basketball and football. Particularly in football, it is so good for the team to travel all around the country for many reasons, not the least of which is recruiting and scheduling home and homes with Texas, California and Florida teams. From a recruiting standpoint, this is a brilliant thing to do. Having lived in the northeast and midwest, it would have been fantastic to be able to attend a BYU game. What a great opportunity for those fans in other areas of the country. Should be a great game tommorrow against a quality Houston team. Good luck BYU!!!

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 10:46 p.m.

for a team that is suppossedly irrelevant to them there sure are a lot of ute trolls on this byu thread,just shows that the coug are not irrelevant tothem at all because they are obsessed with the cougars of byu.

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 18, 2013 11:33 p.m.

Wisconsin cooger

The Texas game was not a sellout. Read the stats for the game. Only game that was sold out was Utah.

You are correct in that not all lds members are BYU fans.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Oct. 21, 2013 11:16 p.m.

For a college football team which, according to some, has nothing to play for and is as irrelevant as irrelevant can be, the BYU Cougars still continue to draw a whole lot of attention.

Perhaps, those who ridicule BYU are the ones who need BYU football the most.