Faith

Uniquely designed LDS meetinghouse opens in South Jordan

Comments

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Oct. 9, 2013 1:17 p.m.

It seems they are going for massive presence here. Taller than previous designs. Not unlike the one in Newark.
    And there are rumors about the one in downtown Chicago being tall and massive-looking. (Tall because of 4 floors of parking deck.)
    Is this a new approach to church architecture?

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Oct. 9, 2013 2:09 p.m.

Looks like any other newer chapel. The courtyard seems very small.

• Obama10 SYRACUSE, UT
    Oct. 9, 2013 3:49 p.m.

Did someone take these pictures with an IPhone? Poor quality. DNews continues to outdo itself in "quality" reporting. Generally underwhelmed with the courtyard. Its different, but is it really going to be a community gathering center anymore than a Stake Center with a large field and a bowery? Probably not.

• Malihini Northern, UT
    Oct. 9, 2013 4:01 p.m.

Why do LDS churches continue to have basketball courts? Cultural Hall, yes, I can see that. But why basketball courts?

• InspectorC Wasatch Front, UT
    Oct. 9, 2013 4:30 p.m.

Hmmmmmm....

Did I miss something in this article??

Seems like the article ended before they really explained what makes this meetinghouse "unique" (other than the new courtyard feature).

But even then there was NO explanation offered in the article as to WHY the church added a courtyard, or if this is the new trend, going forward, in all LDS building designs.

The article just left me thinking, "Therefore.........(what?)"??

A lot more details would help out here!

• brownderby Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 9, 2013 4:38 p.m.

May I comment on the comments? Why bother commenting if you have nothing pertinent to say. Just picky, picky, picky

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Oct. 9, 2013 4:43 p.m.

Variety is the spice of life!

I wish we could just get decent lighting in our dimly lit (and depressing) Stk Center chapel!

• rok Boise, CA
    Oct. 9, 2013 4:45 p.m.

this doesn't pass for news, even in the Deseret News. Now if it had solar panels and multi media white boards, then there would be something unique about it.

• vklssj RAMONA, CA
    Oct. 9, 2013 4:48 p.m.

Interesting. There are at least 5 LDS church buildings in my are that have courtyards. They tend to be older buildings. I think they were built back in the 60's and 70's. They happen to be my favorite buildings because they are so different from the newer chapels.

• Baron Scarpia Logan, UT
    Oct. 9, 2013 5:20 p.m.

I saw a while back that the church was going green in some of its meeting houses to cut back on energy costs and cut back on toxic chemicals used in construction. The Church Library was LEED Silver... and I know Temple Square's Christmas displays are all LEDs now. This was all part of the Church's commitment to spend tithe dollars more responsibly and to enhance the health of church members.

• USA Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 9, 2013 5:31 p.m.

My ward meetinghouse in Southern California, which was built in the 1960s, has a courtyard.

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Oct. 9, 2013 5:50 p.m.

The windowless 'bunker wall' is always a feature in these facilities.

• BH Tremonton, UT
    Oct. 9, 2013 5:51 p.m.

Beautiful building, at least from what I can tell from the poor quality pictures. But, not sure what is unique here. Many chapels in the '70's were built with 3-sided courtyards. Never really have seem much use of these courtyards. But I also remember while on my mission in the '70's, seeing a number of older buildings in the L.A. valley, that had courtyards, most of them much larger and nicely landscaped. The one in particular that actually did get significant usage, was a Spanish architectural style. The center courtyard served as a main gathering and visiting area, as passing through the courtyard was necessary to get from one part of the building to another. No inside hallways.

Yes, I know. This would not work in Utah.

• wiseacre Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 9, 2013 5:56 p.m.

This meeting house plan is old school. They designed them like this back in the 70's.

• bigirish OREM, UT
    Oct. 9, 2013 7:26 p.m.

When I was in a Masters program once, I gave a class paper comparing the Mormon Exodus to that of Israel with Moses, something I'm sure many LDS have already done in one way or another. The conversation after got around to modern LDS and how we're perceived. My professor for this class said he felt we were a closed group or fraternity, and that getting in was hard. I wondered if that was a vestige of our pioneer siege mentality when we had to escape from the world and were glad to be rid of outsiders If our chapels can do more to be open to our neighbors, be more welcoming and inclusive, demonstrating our uniqueness and doctrine, lets' do it. I wonder how our new chapel visitor program is going on the week days and what we can do to get more people to venture in so they might return on Sundays. Our simplicity of decor and lack of cross and stained glass needs explanation, but still confirm our Christianity. Who decides what pictures to in the foyer? Any thoughts out there?

• l.cee Ridgefield, WA
    Oct. 9, 2013 8:20 p.m.

Our wedding reception was held in the courtyard in my old ward in San Jose, CA. So, unique this new building, it is not. My husband's old ward building has a courtyard, too. Is there something else to make this a unique building that the reporter forgot to add to the article? Oh, maybe the reporter forgot to edit the article enough since it said that the building was unique but not alone. Redundant description.

• MN Doug Rochester, MN
    Oct. 9, 2013 10:04 p.m.

I liked this unique meetinghouse design just as well when it was done on Saratoga Springs last March. It's "unique" because the chapel/gym is side-by-side with classrooms, with the courtyard separating the two, rater than the typical modern rectangle design. So it's Unique among new buildings. The courtyard is small, but functional. The building is "green" with automatic lights & faucets. My favorite part is the 11 "Green Vehicle Only" parking spaces filled weekly with SUVs, vans, and sports cars. Keep sticking it to the "Green" man people.

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    Oct. 10, 2013 6:21 a.m.

What we really need with this article is a floor plan diagram and maybe even an aerial shot. ps. I lived in 2 different Hawaiian islands growing up (1970s-80s, and both had courtyards, although the bldg in Hilo had so much termite damage it was torn down and a new courtyardless bldg replaced it.

• byu rugby Crystal Lake, IL
    Oct. 10, 2013 6:51 a.m.

Nice to see that the church still has no clue about long term management of the facilities. What are they going to do with the snow in winter time? The snow will build up creating drifts, even in this small space and create leaks in the walls. Court yards are a nice feature in the sun belt but, really in the Mountain West? It is only truly functional 3-4 months a year, will be a huge depository of leaves, dust, snow, and ice. The Church building department has no clue.

An additional example, the church built a large number of chapels down in the Phoenix area in the 90's through early 2000's. They built the chapels based on Utah attendance numbers. With very few exceptions, the church was required to renovate brand new buildings within 2-3 years of dedication to accommodate the actual AZ attendance numbers.

I am also confident that all of the LEED buildings will require huge capital infusion once, they figure out that some of the cool "Green" technology isn't cost effective, durable, or functional.

• DonP Sainte Genevieve, MO
    Oct. 10, 2013 7:50 a.m.

The first meetinghouse I went to (the Monrovia East Ward) after baptism (1969) was on Lemon Street in Monrovia, California. It had an open courtyard. I have always thought it was a nice touch. I have never seen one since. I didn't know there were any others.

• KinCO Fort Collins, CO
    Oct. 10, 2013 8:56 a.m.

We had an open courtyard in the building where I first attended church in Woodland Hills, California. It was built in the early 60s--back when the ward had some influence on how the building would be designed, not dictated by corporate architects in SLC. It had beautiful artwork too, as there were talented artists in the ward when it was built. I hope those paintings are still there and have not been replaced by our Generic Church Art (can you tell my degree was in Fine Art?!).

• California Steve Hanford, CA
    Oct. 10, 2013 9:46 a.m.

The old chapel(now torn down)on Berkeley Avenue in Turlock, CA had a courtyard. Lots of fond memories of that building. You know, picking the locks to get in to play basketball, Halloween carnivals in the courtyard, etc. When you're young it seems your life revolved around the church buildings you grew up attending. Hope the youth there enjoy their new courtyard too.

• Hoss817 Queen Creek, AZ
    Oct. 10, 2013 10:14 a.m.

In the phoenix/Mesa all the meeting houses from the 40's - the 60's had court yards. It was a step up from the design where the chapel and cultural hall were not connected, often in separate buildings. All of the original courtyard buildings I knew were filled in with classrooms.

• Gram Cracker Price, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:41 a.m.

The picture shows a beautiful chapel with a front area. Is this front area the court yard? I can't see this space functioning for wedding receptions or even ward parties. I looked at the picture of the chapel, and expected to see more pictures that showed something in the back, like picnic tables covered with a pavilion, or something like that. What would neighbors use this courtyard for? The article said other people could use the court yard. That front area just doesn't say "court yard" to me, if that is what that is. Are some pictures missing?

• Gram Cracker Price, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 12:17 p.m.

Woops! I just saw the pictures of the courtyard. I think it is grand!

• GK Willington Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 2:34 p.m.

All I have to say is Woooooo for the DB 6th.

Bishop MM.. You my friend are famous.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Oct. 11, 2013 7:55 a.m.

Why don't they build buildings with courtyards down here where we could use them 9 months out of the year, instead of being filled with snow for 6 months....

I know we could use one. Our current building is old and tiny, bursting at the seams with 4 units using it.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Oct. 11, 2013 7:12 p.m.

Wow! Thanks for the accompanying photo because now I can see what you mean by "unique". I mean--a courtyard? Off the hook and cutting edge to say the least! Is this a meeting house or some wonderful, new age glimpse of the meeting houses of tomorrow land!? Cudos to the designers for showing us all that "same old same old" is too often "lame old lame old".

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Oct. 12, 2013 6:32 a.m.

All new buildings should be solar powered. Plenty of roof space.

Members attending the branch should bear the burden of the cost of the building. Just like they did in the 60's and 70's. It gives a much greater appreciation for the building.

Basketball courts are a giant waste of money, time and emotion. Cultural hall, of course, basketball, so silly.

• llacey2001 Newburg, MO
    Oct. 12, 2013 10:41 a.m.

If this 'new building' is anything like the one they just finished building in Mountain Grove, here in Missouri, then they are wonderful buildings. I did not see all the tech. stuff but the inside did have a few things that haven't been in buildings before, the court yard, a handy cap ramp up one side of the inside of the chapel (it is about time we made it possible for people in wheel chairs to go up to speak or bare their testimonies). Larger chapel and wider isles. I was surprised to know that only one ward was, at that time, occupying this large chapel. But then I thought..."DUH, the Lord knows that there will be a need for this large of a building. IF the Lord builds it they will come. I also noted that the cultural hall had huge double doors that led right out into the court yard. What a lovely building.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Oct. 12, 2013 9:54 p.m.

J-TX, You're right, Allen TX does need a new building on the east side of town. I attended that building in the 1990's when we had 5 wards and shortened schedules while the McKinney Stake Center was being built. The Allen Stake center built in 2004-2005 was a welcome relief.

• Lindy-Lou San Antonio, TX
    Oct. 14, 2013 8:15 a.m.

What I want to know from ANY of our churches' designers is: WHY DO THE DOORS ON ALL THE RELIEF SOCIETY ROOMS HAVE TO CLOSE WITH SUCH A LOUD BANG???? Several people leave or enter our room during every SS and RS meeting and it's always with a loud BANG that calls attention to their entrances and exits every time. Now THAT's an important item to bring up to the church architects!

• Mc West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 15, 2013 12:20 p.m.

llacey2001
    Only one ward bishop was quoted in the article, but 3 wards will be meeting in this building. These wards are large and growing due to their proximity to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple and a lot of home building going on. It is a lovely building that will be very well used!