Opinion

Dan Liljenquist: Sen. Lee may have permanently hurt his effectiveness in Senate

Comments

• dmumford Provo, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 1:41 a.m.

Dan, this oped is highly disappointing. I strongly defended you during the '12 primaries, even publicly proclaiming support in my bid for county delegate. But after this piece I am inclined to believe you're like most Republicans in the Senate since your piece advocates "compromise", "political realities" etc. These tactics have gotten conservatives nothing over the last decade. You have used your ink not as an opportunity to attack liberal policy, but have ironically chosen to publicly slap Senator Lee - because why defend a fellow Republican when you can foment more party disunity like most Washington Republicans? Some of us believe the ship is sinking, so to speak, and only a few lone voices are willing to speak out forcefully, including Senator Lee. From this piece I'm inclined to think you don't agree, and that somehow a more unified but timid Republican Senate opposition will solve our problems. For the sake of our country I hope you're right, since you and others seem intent on bashing Lee, Cruz, the Tea Party, and pretty much anyone with actual passion for the sad state our country's in.

• dmumford Provo, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 1:45 a.m.

Also, to clarify, I don't disagree with everything in your piece, but I do find it comically hypocritical that your piece is on the dangers of alienating or publicly castigating your political allies, when that's exactly what you just did in writing this piece! If you were to follow your advice, wouldn't you have privately shared your thoughts with the senator, rather than publicly chastising him?

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Oct. 10, 2013 3:18 a.m.

"I hope he will learn from this experience and work to repair relationships over time. I hope it’s not too late for him to recover."

[I hope Jon M. Huntsman Jr. tries another run for President and not the Senate. I hope I can now win the GOP nomination.]

• high school fan Huntington, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 5:36 a.m.

Seems like the author of this story doesn't like a person who stands up for his convictions. We don't elect people to get along, we elect them to do what is right. Maybe this is why the writer lost his last election, his convictions don't match those of the electorate.

• ECR Burke, VA
    Oct. 10, 2013 6:53 a.m.

An excellent commentary on current conditions. It is interesting to consider the public perception of elected officials and then learn of their acts and deeds that didn't get the attention of the media or the public. Such a person was Senator Bob Dole who was instrumental in working across party lines to resolve issues between then President Reagan and House Speaker Tip O'Neill. His unselfish determination and his leadership in working for the American people first, and not just looking out for his own skin in the political game made the difference in avoiding situations like the one we are facing right now. That image never surfaced when he ran for president, at least not to my recollection. I'm glad he was there at the time.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 7:12 a.m.

Sen. Mike Lee has done exactly why I voted for him. I will eagerly vote for him again. It is time that more stand up and quit trying to just get along. More Mike Lee's and less good old boys.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Oct. 10, 2013 8:05 a.m.

In June, Lee’s favorability rating stood at 50 percent. In the latest poll, which wrapped up over the weekend, just 40 percent of voters had a favorable impression of Lee. His unfavorable rating was 51 percent in the most recent poll.

Even among Republicans, Lee’s favorability dropped from 71 percent to 57 percent.

The poll found 57 percent of all voters want to see Lee be more willing to compromise in the ongoing budget standoff.

Lee has strong support — 90 percent — from those who identify themselves as active in the tea party.

The poll was conducted by researchers at Brigham Young University’s Center for the Study of Elections and Democracy.

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 8:07 a.m.

Re: "We will likely never know what possessed this man to take his own life . . . ."

But, as the article attests, that certainly won't prevent liberals from appropriating these deranged acts for their own purposes, disingenuously blaming reasonable, rational, thinking conservatives for the irrational acts of a madman.

This is just sad.

And, it's going from bad to worse.

• tenx Santa Clara, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 8:08 a.m.

I doubt it.

• The Skeptical Chymist SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 8:08 a.m.

For once, I sincerely hope that Mr. Lilienquist is correct. I hope that Senator Lee has damaged himself so badly that his influence in the Senate will be quite limited. He is bad news for the state of Utah and for the United States.

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 8:17 a.m.

I often wonder what the Continental Congress approval rating would have been during the Revolution.

• Shaun Sandy, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 8:29 a.m.

@dmumford. Republicans are the minority right now. When you are in the minority you can't get what you want but hope to get something through compromise.

Shutting down the government or not increasing the debt limit should not be used to get what you want. What if the situation was reversed and the democrats were doing this in the House? Would republicans be congratulating them on being principled and not backing down?

• LaFong Springville, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 8:54 a.m.

We need more Mike Lees. He's doing a great job. We need less of Orin Hatch - a RINO. Go get 'em, Mike!

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 8:57 a.m.

Yes. By all means, we need a senator that is more concerned with his own political power and in getting along and in promoting the status quo that got us into this mess in the first place; than one who stands up for what is right and represents the people who elected him by refusing to compromise his/her principles.

...oh wait, we already have a whole bunch of those kinds of senators.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 9:02 a.m.

Lee is right. The more uninsured Americans, the stronger America will be.
    And while we're at it, let's not do anything about the out of control costs for medical care. That will make us even better.

• Kent C. DeForrest Provo, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 9:09 a.m.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Dan. I guess there's a first for everything. I am concerned, though, about the still large number of Utahns who for some reason think Mike Lee is not trying to destroy the country and perhaps even the world economy. The commenters here who support hit stunt scare me. Yes, I get it that you don't like Obama. I get it that you're tired of business as usual in Washington. But do you really think governmental and economic collapse is preferable? Come out of the right-wing echo chamber. See the consequences of your attitudes. The tea party is on the wane. You will never have enough power to do anything except obstruct and destroy. Why not shift toward reality a little and become part of a solution rather than the main cause of our problems? Do you really enjoy watching Lee destroy the very Constitution he thinks he understands?

• Owen Heber City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 9:15 a.m.

"caught up in the intoxication of elected office, perhaps mistaking attention for influence, perhaps focused on developing their own celebrity with a view to higher office, would take every opportunity to lecture rather than listen, to posture rather than persuade, to criticize rather than communicate," said the pot to the kettle.

Although I would never vote for Mike again, by now it must be painfully obvious to everyone that Dan is using this media outlet to opportunistically position himself for the next open slot in D.C.

• Lew Scannon Provo, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 9:20 a.m.

A reminder to you tea party hardliners who support Mike Lee's underhanded tactics:

Republicans lost the presidency 322 electoral votes to 206 in 2012.
    Republicans lost a net 2 seats in the Senate in 2012.
    Republicans lost a net 6 House seats in 2012. (Yes, you lost 6 seats.)

This was a mild referendum on tea party ideas. It is nothing compared to what you have coming in 2014. After the Lee and Cruz extortion attempt and their very real threat to destroy the country and the Constitution, the tea party will be the best tool for the Democrats to woo the largest voting bloc in the country: independents. If I were you, I'd start looking for real solutions that the American people can accept. Basically, you've been reading the tea leaves wrong.

• Deserthiker SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 9:28 a.m.

I agree. While I support much of Lee's agenda, I believe he has selected a very counterproductive and ineffective strategy to promote it. His actions have only made it harder for the minority Republicans to work with and achieve anything with the Democrats. Worse, he has dramatically worsened the party's image with moderate, swing voters hurting the party's chances of regaining the Senate next year and the Presidency in 3 years. Only by winning the next two national elections can the Republicans really enact their agenda. While I do not doubt his sincerity in his beliefs, his methods of acting on those beliefs have made the party look extreme and juvenile in the eyes of much of the nation- making it much harder to achieve his goals.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 9:29 a.m.

Uuuummm... He's a freshman. Exactly what effectiveness did he have BEFORE this? Proposed nothing, passed nothing... talked a lot, but is that "effectiveness"??

• djc Stansbury Park, Ut
    Oct. 10, 2013 9:59 a.m.

I believe that an individual would have to be effective in order to lose future effectiveness. I think Mr Lee went to Washington and immediately made himself appear foolish to the majority of moderate Americans. I for one find it ludicrous that someone who is a financial failure believes it his mission in life to destroy institutions that are attempting to right a listing financial system. Mr Lee has little or no credibility to the vast majority of Americans and one moderate credibility among those who elected him to the Senate. So, the premise of this piece is wrong; no he has not hurt his effectiveness because he didn't have any to begin with.

• Cato the Elder Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2013 10:24 a.m.

Senator Lee said he had two objectives: 1) Stop Obamacare; and 2) Not shut down the government. He failed on both. He knew well in advance that he would fail, but did it anyway. Utah, we are wasting one of our two precious Senate seats on someone who even now cannot admit his own incompetence and failure. We need someone effective in this seat.

• RShackleford Saint George, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 10:31 a.m.

Very disappointed in you Dan. Mike Lee is trying to stop an epidemic of out of control spending (and trampling of our rights and the constitution) and it is go along to get along, Republicans without conviction, that are driving the monkey to the Airport!

• procuradorfiscal Tooele, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 10:33 a.m.

Re: ". . . do you really think governmental and economic collapse is preferable?"

Only liberals believe that.

There is plenty of money in the federal government to meet our obligations on 17 Oct and for months thereafter.

Neither the government, nor the economy will collapse, unless the President wills it so, which, sadly, is a distinct possibility.

• Constitutional_Conservative CEDAR CITY, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 10:50 a.m.

Dan, I totally disagree with your article. Mike Lee is taking a stand for us. He is fighting back against the business as usual in DC. That being lets just fund everything and keep raising the debt ceiling. My generation will have to pay the bill at some point and raising the debt ceiling is no solution.

I'm thankful for Senator Lee and all he does. It is Harry Reid and Obama who are saying if we don't fund everything, we won't fund anything. Mike Lee is simply trying to cut some waste fraud and abuse in the federal government. I thought you would be someone who would stand with him on this, I guess I was wrong.

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 10:50 a.m.

I too am disappointed in Liljenquist. I did support him but only because Hatch needed to be unseated. Tragically he wasn't. We didn't know much about Mr Liljenquist, though, but those two became our only alternatives. I have not been impressed by Dan's articles for the DesNews, those which I have read, and this piece definitely sealed it for me. No more wheeling and dealing; that IS the problem imo, not the solution.

I am sure that Mike Lee is doing precisely what he should. He is standing for something, he is showing resistance to the old wheeling and dealing and, in the end, he will be thanked for his efforts which may yet prove fruitful. Even if they are not he is proving a disturber of the kingdom of the adversary. Like Justice Scalia I believe there is a devil and, unfortunately, we have all become acquainted with many of his followers. They are so smooth! or as as Scalia put it: so "wily". Lee delights in plainness as do I.

• Samson01 S. Jordan, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 10:52 a.m.

This is why I didn't vote for Dan.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:06 a.m.

Republican Rep Dennis Ross said that, "for the first time since the Korean War, total federal spending has gone down for two years in a row." Since the 1950s, spending fell one year between 1964 and 1965, and then once again between 2009 and 2010. But the only time it fell two years in a row was between 2011 and 2013. We rate the statement True.
    (Politifact)

• SG in SLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:06 a.m.

There are an awful lot of people here (and, apparently, in Washington), who have wholly embraced a certain brand of conservative ideological purity above all else; for whom might makes right, the ends justify the means, everyone who isn't "with us" is the enemy, and compromise is for losers.

The problem with obsession with ideological purity is that the circle of people whow qualify (the "non-RINOs", in this case) becomes ever-smaller as people eventually succumb to fear, greed, pragmatism, compassion, higher priorities, and a myriad of other things that end up being dissonant with the ideology, until the extreme logical conclusion is reached, where everyone else is viewed as corrupt, and the only "right-thinking" person left is "you". Sen. Mike Lee is on this path (as are several others, in and out of Congress).

Good governance calls for statesmanship and principled, reasonable compromise, but those things are anathema to the tea party and other ultraconservative ideologues.

• Pssst LOGAN, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:13 a.m.

I did not vote for Mike in the primary, but he proved me wrong.

Go for it Mike!!

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:14 a.m.

Mike Lee, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio - all 2010 freshman senators who were elected by the people of their state to represent the conservative values of those people in those states. To suggest that Mike needs to be a purple RINO republican like Hatch or McCain is ridiculous. Mike doesn't serve Mitch McConnell and I sense that the 2014 mid terms are going to be much like the 2010 midterms - these elections are going to be ALL about Obamacare especially since people are going to be boiling mad over their rising premiums, reduced work hours and outright job loss all due to Obamacare. People are going to know who fought to stop Obamacare and who caved. This gov shut down means little and most people aren't even effected in spite of how hard Barack is trying to 'make it hurt'. Mike Lee is a rising star among conservatives and as for the old guard of fence sitters like McCain and Hatch and McConnell - they are going to find themselves in the same boat Bob Bennett found himself. McCain has been discarded by conservatives along with the other RINO's. GO MIKE!!!!!

• Mkithpen Sandy, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:14 a.m.

Dan two things to remember:
    1. You lost your state wide election
    2. Senator Lee won
    Do you think it might be that many voters in Utah didn't see much difference between Senator Hatch and his continual compromising (including support of two of the worst Supreme Court Justices in history) and your style of governance in the Utah State Senate. Maybe the Utah Values you speak of are only in your mind but not in your actions. Time for a little self reflection before heading down your next political venture that apparently you are preparing for with your piece on "your" art of compromise. How about the art and value of true Constitutional governance as Senator Lee is doing. You might be surprised at how much support he really has when it's all said and done. Try true Constitutional and real Utah values you might like it!

• All American Herriman, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:15 a.m.

Why are there so many "moderates" in this country? Have they been dumbed down by their socialist education, or maybe just the "mandated" fluoride in the water? I don't know a single soul who wouldn't stand up for a principled legislator like Mike Lee, Ted Cruz and Rand Paul. They are standing by their principles because they know we, their constituents, are watching and demand it. They may be risking their careers but continue to be principled. Know any Dems who are principled? How about that Harry Reid? Or Nancy Pelosi? Yup - got great (forever) careers but not an ounce of principle. Is that what "most" want? A career legislator with no principles? You got what you deserve then.

• Sal Provo, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:15 a.m.

I plan on working at my caucus to elect delegates who will not vote for Sen. Lee. He's too far right and too beholden to the Tea Party for me.

• Truthseeker SLO, CA
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:34 a.m.

Re:All American
    I have no problem with Lee, Cruz risking their careers. But Cruz, Lee and others don't think they are risking their careers. They keep saying they are doing what the majority of Americans want them to do, when in fact, they represent a small slice of our legislating body and the polls clearly show a majority of Americans don't approve of what they are doing. Even a majority in UT don't approve of what they are doing.

If they were only hurting themselves that would be fine. But they aren't. They are holding the country hostage, ignoring the fact that Dems already agreed to Boehner's spending levels before this stunt. Now they are trying to extract more concessions by those in the majority under threat of blowing up the U.S. economy. BTW, that is the other problem. Cruz, Lee and their supporters don't believe it will cause harm to not raise the debt ceiling and not end the govt. shutdown.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:34 a.m.

The skills it takes to run for public office rarely translate into the skills it takes to govern. I think Mike Lee has forgotten that. Even those who love a "no holds barred" election campaign, really want elected officials to put that behind them once they get elected and work with the other side.

It was America's genius for compromise that built this country, not some mythic rugged individualist who thinks shutting down the entire government and putting people out of work over a single policy dispute has some relationship to governing.

• conspiracygirl FPO, AE
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:51 a.m.

Nonsense. These one-party system, unprincipled, politics-as-usual game-players such as Liljenquist are the problem that voters always vow they'll vote out of office, but lack the courage to do so on election day. Lee managed to get past this tendency of voters to "vote for more of the same and expect a different result." He is standing tall, bravely stating what few others dare state, making the hard choices, and doing what needs to be done.

Are Utahns going to chicken out and go back to voting for corruption because that is what they are accustomed to...?

• J Thompson SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:54 a.m.

Dan Liljenquist is wrong, totally wrong. At least we can clearly see that Dan Liljenquist should never be elected to an office that requires committment to the Constitution. Dan Liljenquist wants Mike Lee to run away from his duty as a Senator to protect the State of Utah from those in Washington would have shut down the government.

The greatest lie being printed and reprinted in these forums is that the Republicans "shut down the government". They did no such thing. Obama and Reid shut down the government. The House voted to fund every program in the Federal Government except ObamaCare. The House is doing what they were elected to do - to represent the People. Obama represents himself. Reid represents Obama. The House represents and is doing the will of the People.

Now that enrolement has begun, we're seeing that the Federal Government can't even make a website work - even though that website purportedly cost $600 million! Those who aren't subsidized by other taxpayers are seeing that the premiums are many times higher that Obama told us.

Dan agrees with that? It is Dan Liljenquist who has burned his bridges.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:56 a.m.

Dan is 100 percent right about Sen. Lee. His actions are unbelievably short-sighted. In the business world I live in, he's what we call a "kamikaze," a colleague who's willing to take down the whole ship if he doesn't get what he wants. Such people don't last long in a collegial environment.

• All American Herriman, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 12:10 p.m.

Lee isn't doing what he wants - he's doing what WE want.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 12:17 p.m.

Gee Dan in the last election I thought there was a difference between you and Hatch. What a difference a day makes. We are not better served by you than by Hatch. I would want a Mike Lee in the next election to replace Hatch. This sealed it for me.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Oct. 10, 2013 12:37 p.m.

For those who rant daily about how we need less government, they sure are concerned that they will be blamed for not funding the government.

"we need to get the government out of our lives".
    "we need smaller government"
    "we should shut down the EPA, and the FDA and the DOE"

But are the first to blame Obama when some government function is shut down.

It is rather humorous.

• RedShirtMIT Cambridge, MA
    Oct. 10, 2013 12:46 p.m.

Say what you want about him, but you have to respect the fact that Senator Lee is making good on his campaign promise to do what he could to stop the ACA. How many politicians are willing to lose support in order to fulfill their prmises?

• Mike Richards South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 10, 2013 12:50 p.m.

One poster told us that Mike Lee was a "kamikaze" because he would take everything down before "giving in". That reminds me of two other people in Government. Obama will not negotiate until after he gets what he wants. Is that "negotiation"? Reid will not even consider bills forwarded from the House unless he gets what Obama wants.

Who shut the parks? Who took the money from women, infants and children (WIC)? It wasn't Mike Lee or the House. It was king Obama, along with his prince, Harry Reid. They are on the "kamikaze" mission. They will sink the ship of state before negotiating. They have insulted our WWII heros. They have insulted our women, infants and children. They have insulted the citizens, those citizens who own our national parks. (Does Obama really think that he "owns" those parks and monuments?) They have welcomed, with open arms, a rally for illegal aliens in the "Mall", but they have kept tax paying citizens out of that Mall.

Mike Lee defied "king" Obama and "prince" Reid. America knows that - no matter what Obama's community organizers try to tell us.

• FreedomFighter41 Provo, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 1:31 p.m.

This article exposes Dan for what he truly is, a liberal RINO.

Romney, Hunstman, Herbert, and now Dan are liberal RINOs.

Only Mike Lee is a true patriot. He would never miss a mortgage payment nor still be paying off student loans.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 1:38 p.m.

yes, he should resign. Their should be accountability for a failed fiasco. He represents only the radical right tea party conservatives.

• bandersen Saint George, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 1:45 p.m.

Mike Lee is the Jefferson Smith of our day! He will go down as one of the greatest patriots the United States as ever had, if he, in fact, doesn't fall into the trap of the other 99% who have no convictions and fall to the corrupt back door deals. All the rest of you will either vote for a Democrat or a Republican, not even knowing or thinking that it doesn't matter squat who that is! There is no difference between the parties and those who think so need to look at the legislation passed the last 70 years, all supported by both parties. How naive can you be? Words have meaning. If you don't like Lee, you don't understand the Constitution or even the concept of limited government. Poor ignorant fools!

• JoeCapitalist2 Orem, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 2:33 p.m.

Henry Drummond
    San Jose, CA
    "The skills it takes to run for public office rarely translate into the skills it takes to govern."

The perfect example of your quote is President Obama. Brilliant campaigner, terrible leader.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Oct. 10, 2013 2:45 p.m.

Here is where the logic fails.

The Democrats want to keep the government running because otherwise, there are consequences.

One would assume that the GOP wants the same thing. Why should the GOP need to get something else to keep from hurting the US economy and possibly the world economy?

The GOP expects the Democrats to give up something that they already have, in order to incentivize the GOP to do what is best for the country.

That is why the public blames the GOP.

• CKS007 Clearfield, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 3:06 p.m.

Mike Lee does not represent me the way I want him to and he will not get my vote in the future. He has been an embarrassment to the citizens of Utah and this country. For those of you who keep saying he's doing what we asked him to, I didn't ask him to do this. Lee’s name is becoming a swear word in Utah. I stopped by Mike Lee's website today and clicked on the Contact Me option and sent him a note explaining how disappointed I was and asked him to grow up and start working with the other people in Congress. I don't need a bigger government or a smaller government, just a working government.

• Kent C. DeForrest Provo, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 3:11 p.m.

Again, many of the comments here scare me to death. I hate to think that most of these come from people I go to church with, but I'm afraid they probably do. If they had any historical perspective, rational theological foundation, or understanding of economics, they certainly wouldn't be so reckless with other people's lives. I guess I will have to label them MINOs.

• UTMC Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 5:30 p.m.

"Real power and influence in a legislative body is not the ability to cast a vote, or delay a nomination, or filibuster a bill. Rather, it is the ability to persuade colleagues, not through force or coercion, but with kindness, and rationality, and sincere, humble conviction."

Now that is a great ideal. I especially like the rationality part. I can only wish that all elected officials used that as a credo.

• Luke Nelson West Valley City, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 5:45 p.m.

I will not be voting for Mike Lee next time. I'd be happy to vote for Dan Liljinquist though. His opinions seem to be spot on for the most part.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Oct. 10, 2013 7:53 p.m.

You, I read all this RINO name calling, and it struck me.... just perhaps these people calling others RINOS are in fact the real RINOs. They seem to be more worried about their own brand of political ideology rather then actual effectiveness.

Now almost 6 years into the anti-RINOism, what actually has been achieved. If standing around, thumping their chest, is the ultimate goal, they have been successful. But if actually gaining a consensus, enabling real change, fixing the budget, reducing debt is the real goal, they have achieved absolutely nothing.

So who is the real RINO.... is it people who try to progress an agenda via self promotion... or those who work with the other side to gain consensus. We know how some feel here.... insulting the other side is way more fun... but it sure isn't ineffective at achieving results. if being a RINO means actually getting things done... then we need way more RINOs.

• MapleDon Springville, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:50 p.m.

Dan, I'm so glad I did not vote for you. Thanks for reminding me.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Oct. 11, 2013 1:46 a.m.

Sen. Lee has got my vote again. The ability to work together is different at the national level. Gov. Bush was well known in Texas for working with democrats to get things done. That went all of nowhere once he became president.

We have a few senators who are willing to risk their political careers to do the right thing. Now if we could trade Orrin Hatch to Kentucky for Rand Paul and a future draft pick.

• DonO Draper, UT
    Oct. 11, 2013 7:11 a.m.

"Sen. Lee may have permanently hurt his effectiveness in Senate"

No "may" about it. He has. He doubtless is positioning himself for a far-right presidential run. But IMO his antics have made him political toast in Utah.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Oct. 11, 2013 7:52 a.m.

@Kent C. DeForrest
    Provo, UT

3:11 p.m. Oct. 10, 2013

=========

MINO's - Haha, that's perfect!

Going to church, saying their prayers, ect.

While listening to AM radio and doing everything in their power to trample the poor, the sick, the needy, the elderly, and now the U.S. Constitution under their collective feet.

• Pendergast Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 11, 2013 8:25 a.m.

to mohokat

How is Mike Lee NOT A good ole boy? Hint, he is just the Zion Tea party version thereof.

• Mister J Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 11, 2013 8:29 a.m.

to All American

"Why are there so many "moderates" in this country? Have they been dumbed down by their socialist education, or maybe just the "mandated" fluoride in the water?"

Why? Its because we don't take off our our tinfoil hats EVER! We see the effects of what AM Talk Radio & Faux News does to the human brain & psyche.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Oct. 11, 2013 8:40 a.m.

Another Dan Liljenquist op ed. They remind me of the little kid standing at the end of the diving board hollering to his mother, "Look at me, Mamma! Look at me!"

Gotta keep the name out there in the spotlight because the next election is coming.

• Mkithpen Sandy, UT
    Oct. 11, 2013 10:31 a.m.

Dan you are toast in Utah politics. Senator Lee is the future. For those who doubt Lee and his abilities, training and understanding need only refer to his up bringing by his wonderful parents. Sitting daily with is father and learning from his wise council on Constitutional law and it's application is not a Tea Party fad, it's a long time of training. Lee has had two years in the Senate and done more in those two years than many do in their entire Senate service. He has helped re-enlightened a flame of interest in the Constitution and it's importance in our lives everyday and that our Constitution not given by the government but of God. The Constitution was painstakingly prepared to protect our lives and we know from thousands of years of history when honest governments not followed a perverse government under the guise of false hope, help and prosperity will follow. We are a county where united we stand and divided we fall. What road is our current leadership in Washington taking today? We need to stand with Senator Lee!

• Confused Sandy, UT
    Oct. 11, 2013 12:05 p.m.

After reading all the responses t Mr. Liljenquist article, I can now understand why our country is in the "Sink" hole that it is in.....

people have gone from wanting "Statesman" (the ability to get what they want through negotiations) to politicians (the only way to get things done is "MY" way)...

until the PEOPLE stops drinking their favorite color water, nothing is going to change... Let stand up and do what is the "right thing to do" instead of worrying about being "right".

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    Oct. 11, 2013 2:33 p.m.

Dan, I've supported you tirelessly for the last several years, but I believe you're dead wrong on this one. We have tried compromise repeatedly as one debt limit/spending deadline crisis after another have pushed us to the brink. Every time we compromise the ear-markers and spenders in our government have ignored the terms of the compromise and just kept on spending. I'm afraid we're at a point where everything needs to come up against a hard stop.

All I can say is "get Mike Lee some vitamins"...go Mike!

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 11, 2013 3:51 p.m.

I wonder if Lee is not PLANNING on a long career in Washington (so he doesn't CARE about his long term "effectiveness" or his shelf-life with the media). Maybe that's what I like about him. I've never liked these politicians who worry so much about their future in Washington that they don't ever do anything (at least nothing controversial).

I like people who don't plan to spend their whole life or their whole career in Washington, or just spend their whole time in Washington carrying the party's water. I like people who will do what they feel needs to be done... EVEN IF it means they probably won't get re-elected.

The problem in Washington is the people who spend their whole time in Washington WORRYING about their "future effectiveness" and doing nothing, except making sure they insure their future effectiveness by doing whatever it takes to not make waves and just get re-elected at all cost.

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 11, 2013 4:24 p.m.

I don't know how this changes his effectiveness in the Senate. Each Senator gets one vote. He still has his one vote. So if he votes... he's still as effective as he ever was.

Some people think a Senator's "effectiveness" is how much he can talk, or his popularity, or how much the cameras point at him, or how much he can score points on the the other side. IMO that's not "effectiveness". Senators are "effective" when they vote (not when they talk).

There's been very little voting and lots and lots of talking and scoring political points going on in the Senate lately. When is the Senate going to get back to voting?

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 8:14 a.m.

He went all in, failed and must resign to bring accountability to elected officials.

• Sundriver West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 8:32 a.m.

The current shutdown is caused by President Obama, Harry Reid and their ilk. They have used U.S. citizens, veterans, and the widows and orphans of U.S. soldiers who have fought and died for our country as pawns to bring pressure to bear on republicians, and with the help of a sycophantic news media have managed to hide their perfidy in this concocted mess. Obama promised the individual mandate was not a tax. Obamacare is riddled with taxes. He has granted waivers to his cronies, delayed implantation for business, carved out fat subsidies for congress, largely cutting citizens out of the gravy train. He promised lover medical costs- another manufactured lie. Obamacare will be enforced by the corrupt IRS. Can any sane person imagine this will end up anything but a disaster for American citizens? Many Americans are losing their jobs or having their hours cut back because business cannot afford the costs. The problem underlying all of this is the lie, the mirage of free medical care. Turning American citizens, doctors and hospitals into slaves of the government and those seeking free handouts will not alter the disaster awaiting America when Obamacare is fully implemented.

• Trudere Provo, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 2:20 p.m.

Dan, I'm disappointed. I actively supported you last year in the effort to retire our RINO, The Great Compromiser. Splitting the party only helps the Dems. There comes a time when a patriot MUST take a stand. I want leaders with courage. I don't want a Patrick Henry who proclaims, "Give me liberty or give me death! Well, as long as I don't have to actually die." Let's stamp out low information voters and rally the voters who understand what's really important. Mike Lee is my perfect representative.

GO MIKE!

• airnaut Everett, 00
    Oct. 12, 2013 5:16 p.m.

I've been pondering this for several days now,
    now I have to ask....

Is this the sort of Representation we want for Utah?
    He is forever a political pariah.

Because of this,

Senator Mike Lee will NEVER --

Chair a Senate Committee,
    Be ON a Senate Committee,
    Be invited to a Senate Committee,
    His will be the last opinion listened to,
    He will be Senator #100, dead last.

[At least Ted Cruz is from Canada, er uh, I mean, Texas]

He will like the worst kid on the playground,
    The LAST one ever picked.

Senator 0.9% of the United States population.
    And stay there.
    Sadly, at least Orrin Hatch will still be there...

• so it goes... SLC, UT
    Oct. 12, 2013 11:11 p.m.

I for one can't wait to cast my vote AGAINST Lee when he comes up for re-election. He and his ilk at best are spoiled little children with minds to match.

I find the radical right to much like the Taliban and the far left to much like the Marxist-Leninist system.

Give me two parties that can govern together and compromise. Maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't our constitution born out of compromise?

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Oct. 13, 2013 11:02 p.m.

So how do you keep your "effectiveness?" By going along as progressives add more and more entitements? Finally we have a few Senators who are more worried about their country than their own reelection. Unfortunately, we are getting what we deserve (collectively). Politicians who bribe us with our own money. Soon it will no longer be an issue. Enough Americans will be on welfare (food stamps, unemployment, corporate welfare, etc.) that noone will dare cut government spending. Then we can simpley rack up debt until the economy collapses.

• RSLfanalways West Valley, UT
    Oct. 14, 2013 3:03 p.m.

If I was a Democrat I would be thanking Lee, Cruz and Hatch for making the republican's look extreme and ignorant. Republican’s just shot them the next election. Here comes President Hillary Clinton.