Kyle Whittingham: '(Travis Wilson) was in bed the whole game day leading up to the UCLA game'

Full transcript, video and audio of Utah football's Monday press conference

Comments

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Oct. 7, 2013 2:02 p.m.

Kyle should know better than to make excuses about losing to UCLA because Travis Wilson was " in bed the whole game day leading up to the UCLA game".

Marc Wilson beat Texas A&M in College Station three days after having a appendectomy.

Robbie Bosco beat Michigan in the Holiday Bowl while playing the entire second half on an injured leg that he could barely stand on.

If Travis wasn't well enough to play, he shouldn't have been on the field.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 2:08 p.m.

If he was too sick to play, play a back up. If he wasn't too sick to play, then I don't care that he was sick.

With that said, all our doubters claimed we'd lose by 20+ to UCLA, and those poor predictions certainly didn't include 6 picks by Wilson. I'm more confident than ever about this team, not less so after UCLA. Coming down to the last play against a top 15 team? I'll take that all day every day. We can do this. And I think we will.

Utah 32
    Stanford 27

• Alterego Harrisville, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 2:14 p.m.

Did he sleep in? Did his alarm not go off? Was he "recovering" from a late night out?

I confess I did not watch the video.

Go cardinal.

• Utehaterforlife West Valley, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 2:18 p.m.

Whittingham should stop making excuses for his quarterback.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Oct. 7, 2013 2:49 p.m.

"Don't have time to watch the video? Here's the audio."

Because listening to the audio is SOOO much faster than watching the video!

Really, who writes this stuff, my High School paper had less goofs than the DN!?!

• Thinkman Provo, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 2:52 p.m.

Starting a sickly Travis Wilson against UCLA sounds about as dumb as Bronco playing Riley with a broken back.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 3:16 p.m.

The kid is a competitor! Nothing but respect!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 3:17 p.m.

Without more information than the article explains, I'd have to say that Travis Wilson needs to learn when to leave the ladies alone and Kyle needs to learn that most football pundits aren't impressed with after-the-loss excuses.

Ute fans totally disparage Bronco if he even insinuates some sort of excuse in a similar situation.

• WJCoug South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 7, 2013 3:46 p.m.

It's bad enought listening to all the excuses from Utah fans. Now we have to put up with excuses from Whittingham. I really thought he was above that . . .

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 7, 2013 4:03 p.m.

@PAC man

---------------

Michigan was as good as the Texas team you beat a few weeks ago.

Kyle said we lost because we had 6 turnovers. The same excuse Cougar Nation has been using for the 54-10 beating.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 7, 2013 4:18 p.m.

Two PAC-12 games, 9 interceptions (minus 8 in turnovers). Utah should have lost by 14+ points with so many turnovers.

The offense and defense have shown they can compete with any team so far. If we can reduce the turnover margin then I think we have good chance of winning the game.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 4:20 p.m.

He was asked if Wilson was sick and he said Wilson was sick. Goodness, it's not like he brought it up on his own.

• Chris from Rose Park Hartford, CT
    Oct. 7, 2013 4:26 p.m.

BYU fan here. It looks to me that Coach Whitt was not making excuses for Wilson. He did not defend Wilson during openinig statements. He only mentioned Wilson was sick after being asked about it in the first question. Midway through, he was asked about interceptions. He simply said not all of them were Wilson's fault, but there were no excuses. Then, the last question was, "Kyle, was Travis affected at all illness-wise during the game?" Whitt responds, "No excuses. He was there. He was playing. So if you're playing, you've got to produce. So, the answer is no." To me, that sounds the opposite of making excuses for his QB.

Come on Cougs. Read the whole transcript before you troll and only give legitimate gripe.

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 4:40 p.m.

relax utah and byu fans. i beleive whit (i don't like him). wilson is a player and will only get better. they still should have won. glad most on this post have never played at the college level, so i expect you would be critical of anything that is said. maybe you can suit up for wilson on saturday.

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 7, 2013 4:47 p.m.

"...He was in bed the whole game day leading up to that game. He got sick, actually, the night before that, and hasn't gotten over it yet..."

Translation: Don't give up on me or my team. Our quarterback is really good - the only reason he threw 6 picks is because he was sick - not because we didn't coach him up.

• Thefullnancy SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 4:51 p.m.

ChrisB BYU 3and 2. Utah 3 and 2. Utah will not beat Stanford regardless of any sick players on either team. Mark it down.

• Fight On! St George, Utah
    Oct. 7, 2013 5:13 p.m.

I didn't watch the whole game, but saw the highlights.
    It was clear UCLA underestimated a Ute defense that came out swinging. Utah's Defense played the best game anyone could expect with Wilson giving up SIX interceptions, with the last one that should have been a pick six if the UCLA defender had not slid out of bounds.
    So far Wilson has thrown 4 TD's and 9 Int's vs PAC-12 opponents and has yet to play the 4 top defenses in the conference (Stanford, USC, Oregon, ASU). That kind of QB play against good competition will never result in wins.
    I have said it for 3 years now. Utah will not be truly competitive in the PAC-12 until 2016. And you have at least 2 more years of being under .500 and missing the post season. I think Kyle is a great coach and if Hill and the Ute fanbase can be patient he will bring the Utes back to winning.
    In the meantime,
    Utah 10
    Stanford 27

• TFUDD SLC, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 5:14 p.m.

@Chris from Rose Park

Thank you!! I was wondering why in the world all these cougar fans are saying Coach Whit is making excuses? How about you guys read the WHOLE article and not just the title before commenting. Thanks Chris from Rose Park for being intelligent enough to do read the ENTIRE article

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 5:34 p.m.

If he was capable of playing it shouldn't be any excuse. So we lost the game.. no excuses.
    We had 6 turnovers... signs of sloppy playing. And we lost the game.. no excuses.

Man up Utes. We either win or we lose.. There are no excuses!

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 5:55 p.m.

@ Uteology

I agree with your comments, but you should have said, "I think we have good chance of winning a game."

• peacemaker Provo, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 6:43 p.m.

Reason for the loss: Bigger, faster, better athletes. A well Travis would have still been whipped. P.S. Travis is a great quarterback, Ammon OLsen is a great passer.

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 7:00 p.m.

Stanford 24
    Utah. 10

Too much strength, and too much speed. I think utah fans are starting to see the difference between MWC recruits and PAC 10 recruits....if Utah wants to win in the PAC 10.2....they have to get deeper.....you can see the difference between Utah and UCLA last week. This week will be worse!

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 7, 2013 7:28 p.m.

I didn't come away thinking Whittingham made any excuses. In fact I thought he was straight up and respectful in fielding each question.

Chris B - you need to wake up from your dream.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 8:34 p.m.

@pac man, wjcoug, ute hater

Where were Coach Whitt's excuses? Utah's athletic communications director told the press that Travis Wilson wasn't at the press conference because he was sick, just as he was during the game. Coach Whitt then explained that he was still feeling the effects of his sickness. At the end of his interview a reporter asked point blank "Was Travis affected at all illness-wise during the game?" Coach Whitt responded "No excuses. He was there. He was playing. So if you're playing, you've got to produce. So, the answer is no."

Please tell us, you pro-BYU, Ute haters, where was Coach Whitt's excuse for Travis's playing sick? It is apparent that he went out of his way to NOT allow this as an excuse. Did any of you even read the transcript? I didn't think so. If so, you need to go back to school and take a reading comprehension course.

However, I doubt

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Oct. 7, 2013 11:02 p.m.

Uteology

"Michigan was as good as the Texas team you beat a few weeks ago."

You lose ALL credibility when you make such foolish statements.

• StocksOnTheRocks Lehi, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 11:30 p.m.

'(Travis Wilson) was in bed the whole game day leading up to the UCLA game'’ ?

??

What about the Receivers who bobbled and dropped ? helped with at least 3 of the 6 interceptions, ??
    "probably sick in bed too. ;)

• USNGary San Diego, CA
    Oct. 7, 2013 11:33 p.m.

I quit reading after the second page because I thought it was boring and because I didn't want to waste my time reading utah articles comment section so much more entertaining reading you thinking you are so much better since joining the PAC whatever. You have the same players as the mwc and while you were there you bashed PAC 10 conference all the time. I even went as far as making a screen name mwcbetterthanpac. What is it, a great conference or inferior conference? By the way...go cougars

• StocksOnTheRocks Lehi, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 11:50 p.m.

UCLA's Defensive secondary was as TOUGH as they Get!

Secondary
    However, the athletic 6-1, 184-pounder performed like UCLA’s best cover guy in the spring,

Leading the way at the other cornerback opening is redshirt freshman Ishmael Adams, who has performed nearly as well as Jefferson this offseason.
    The most experienced backup corner, 6-0, 182-pound Fabian Moreau is only a sophomore.
    The competitions at safety have yet to be decided. At strong safety, 5-10, 187-pound Randall Goforth and 6-0, 198-pound senior Stan McKay are locked in a tight race. Goforth would have a slight advantage

Over at free safety, 5-11, 195-pound senior Brandon Sermons and 6-0, 200-pound junior Dietrich Riley
    Watch Out For .... the incoming freshmen to not play like incoming freshmen.

• jim l West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 6:26 a.m.

Last year byu quarterback was playing with a broken back.

• The Solution Dayton, OH
    Oct. 8, 2013 8:54 a.m.

I don't usually read Utah only articles, and I'm not sure why I read this one, but I guess I was intrigued by the headlines. I didn't know Travis was sick, and playing sick has got to be difficult. Makes me wonder how many times players play under the weather and we as fans take it for granted.

I am very impressed with this question and answer session because the reporters actually sound football savy asking pretty intelligent questions about Stanford. KW interviews well too. I chuckled inside when I read his PAC 12 plug, "...our fans are going to be getting used to that in the Pac-12," in reference to playing highly ranked team. So that's where U fans get it from.

I don't know why I read the comments, but I am shocked to see all the trolling from my fellow, so-called BYU fans. Are you kidding me. I thought only Utes did this stuff to us. Be true to the Blue Cougs and recognize what you represent.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 9:15 a.m.

How Christian like of all you BYU fans to slam Coach Witt and Travis Wilson for this. Yes, you represent your school well.....NOT! How pathetic.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Oct. 8, 2013 9:35 a.m.

I watched the game. I thought Utah played ok in spite of the numerous receiver drops, and in general against more physically blessed UCLA players. Whit gave very good answers to questions posed. Travis being sick would certainly take just the edge off a sharp performance. Hope he gets feeling better - it is no fun being sick in college especially when it drags on. Stanford by two scores.

• CT98 Saint George, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 9:37 a.m.

To all those who think Whit is making excuses for the UCLA loss, just listen to the last 5 seconds of the video. It speaks for itself.

I like the coach and believe he is doing the best he can to win in a very difficult conference. It would be a shame if he is let go at the end of the season.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 9:55 a.m.

Good point CT98. So many BYU fans are showing their selective listening by not paying attention to Coach Witt's statement that the illness isn't an excuse.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 10:17 a.m.

I think there is a bit of excuse making by whittingham here. If he really wasn't making any excuses he would have just said "yes travis is sick but he appears to be on the road to recovery". But he chose to elaborate and tell us that he "was in bed all game day" and elaborated even more about it. Just qualifying his comments with "no excuses, he played" doesn't really offset the fact he was making some excuses.

Not that it is really a big deal, at some point in almost every season everyone is sick and I am sure someone, or multiple players, are sick every single game on every single team. When you are dealing with around 100 people someone is almost always going to be sick.

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 10:44 a.m.

So much frantic and emotional trolling here... whats new?

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 10:58 a.m.

Mormon Ute
    Kaysville, UT

===

Dude, give it a rest.

Doesn't it get old playing the religion card? That is pathetic.

..................

There are reasons and excuses in life. There are reasons why the Utes can't compete in the PAC. Call them whatever you want, but while Utah is getting up for Stanford and other PAC power teams, they are not going to get up for Utah. So I see Utah getting a W soon, because no one takes them seriously (just like: Utah - SDSU, Utah - Alabama, Sugar Bowl) Kyle needs to surprise and beat someone and not just scare them with a close game. He needs to do it soon.

• BYUtah Fan Herriman, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 11:53 a.m.

I bleed true Cougar blue. Recently, I have learned to hate the Utes from the behavior of a few big mouthed fans. I am an alumnus of UCLA and was still hurting from the loss to Utah when I tuned into the Utah-UCLA game. I was prepared and anxious for a UCLA beat down of Utah. Despite all my prejudices, I found myself, by the mid-3rd quarter, rooting for the Utes. The defense was terrific and despite the turnovers, Utah was giving it all they had and hanging close. I was bummed when they couldn't pull it out. You don't win them all and Utah is at least a season away from contending for the PAC-12 title. But, I was proud of the way they played. Utah will yet be a force in the PAC-12. I now have a tinge of red in my blood.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 8, 2013 12:12 p.m.

Utah is 3-2 and those close losses to Oregon State and UCLA are tough to swallow. The defense played really solid against UCLA and the offense struggled with a sick Wilson. Then against OSU, the offense was scoring points up and down the field while the young defense was yet to gel. This is why I thought Utah was one year away from being really good. To much youth and inexperience.

I like the Utes talent but with the youth, future recruiting is hurt when wins aren't as abundant as need be now.

Presently, with Jake Murphy out and Kenneth Scott the same (for the year) after breaking his leg game one, it really hampers the offense. Dres Anderson, Kenneth Scott, and Jake Murphy all would start for most BCS teams across the country. Dres can't be as dominant a deep threat without a go to possession guy (Scott) opposite him. Then Murphy on top of that would give Wilson huge help in moving the ball.

The Utes have a tough schedule and the depth issue is really challenged with the injuries piling up.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 12:40 p.m.

@gdog

Overcoming injuries is tough and when a team doesn't have great depth to begin with it is even tougher. But those are excuses and as utah "fans" have been telling us in this thread utah doesn't make excuses.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 12:57 p.m.

Veritas,

No, it doesn't get old until BYU fans stop with the double standard and hypocrisy. You can't claim the moral high ground and then trash your opponent questioning his integrity when all he was doing is anzwering questions from the media.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 1:03 p.m.

This is the very reason Coach Whitt stopped giving injury reports and doesn't volunteer this kind of information. Too many people interpret it as excuses. But of course the media have to keep pressing and they get testy when they don't get the answers they want so they press and the information comes out. Then everyone jumps on the Coach for making excuses. Nice.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 3:57 p.m.

@mormon ute

No that is not the "very reason coach whitt stopped giving injury reports". He stopped giving them because he doesn't want to tip his hand or give other coaches any more info than he absolutely has to.

And yes he was making excuses, I realize he was asked and an answer was forthcoming, but he droned on and on about it and even kind of used it as a pre-emptive excuse for the game coming up then tried to qualify it by saying it "isn't an excuse". Of course it's an excuse, qualifying it doesn't change that. He is trying to protect wilson's fragile confidence brought on by throwing 9 picks in only two conference games. It is the same thing whittingham was trying to do when he commented that he like's his teams "toughness". It is a psychological game he is playing in an attempt to prop up the confidence of the team.

I'm guessing he feels they are fragile right now otherwise he would be ripping them. That is what coaches do, he's no different than any other.

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 4:52 p.m.

Duckhunter,

Of course you are inside Coach Whitt's head and know every thought behind his words. Believe what you want, but Whitt has never made excuses for losses and I don't think he plans to start now.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 4:53 p.m.

@MormonUte

The question was "I know that it was mentioned that he was sick in that game. Can you kind of expand on that a little, how he's feeling and where he's at?"

How IS he feeling? Where Is he at? Not Was he in bed? This in no way gives info about next Saturday's game. That would fall under giving injury reports.

So call it a reason or excuse, but it is what it is.

And to lash out and call names is not a classy thing for a Mormon Ute, or Mormon Cougar to do, which was my initial point.

Your frantic emotional bitterness is is getting the best of you.

I don't claim to be Mormon, then bag on Mormons.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 5:12 p.m.

@ Mormon Ute

Reporters question:
    "Can you kind of expand on that a little, how he's feeling and where he's at?"

Had nothing to do with past tense. So why did Whit bring up the past.

If people say "Nothing personal", it's probably personal. If people say "It's not an excuse, it's probably an excuse.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 8, 2013 6:18 p.m.

Yes Duckhunter depth is an issue for Utah in the PAC 12.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 6:27 p.m.

Why are there BYU "fans" on here getting frantic and emotional about trivial non-issues, such as what Coach Whit said versus what he meant?!

The majority of you didn't even take time to read the article before slinging mud! Comical! Wise is the individual who can base commentary on the context of what was actually said.

Take a break, then go psycho-analyze the odds of beating GT.

Go Utes!

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 11, 2013 10:21 a.m.

Wow excuses running rampant up on the hill, what will be the excuses when Stanford thrashes them by 50 this weekend?