Guest analysis: After a great start, Jake Heaps and the Kansas Jayhawks run over by Texas Tech

Comments

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 6, 2013 3:21 p.m.

Does anyone really care?

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Oct. 6, 2013 4:18 p.m.

RE: sammyg

"Does anyone really care?"

I do. Heaps is a BYU alumn and a recruit that I was very excited about several years ago. Today I checked to see how Ansah did for Detroit as well.

• FYI Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 6, 2013 4:23 p.m.

@sammyg
    You must. You cared enough to read and comment.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Oct. 6, 2013 5:11 p.m.

I really hoped that things would work out better for Heaps, but this game seems a lot like his experience at BYU (2 QB system, who makes that work well?), I'm sorry for that. Hopefully things will get better for him.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Oct. 6, 2013 5:35 p.m.

I hoped Heaps would do well at Kansas but was afraid he wouldn't. There is still time but so far it's looking like BYU part 2 for him. I'm definitely glad we're going with Taysom now instead. Taysom may not have the passing skill that Heaps has but he has everything else including athleticism, passion, maturity, leadership, discipline and humility. Taysom's passing skills will continue to improve and he will be the best BYU QB we've seen in a very long time over the next few years.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 6, 2013 7:46 p.m.

FYI--- I didn't read the article but it's hard to ignore headlines.

• canadiancougar624 Provo, UT
    Oct. 6, 2013 7:50 p.m.

Jake made a bad decision by going to play for Weis, go anywhere except for there! I don't see why they would pull a QB in the middle of a drive? I understand switching drives but if you have momentum why try and distort that by throwing off timing and momentum?

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Oct. 6, 2013 8:22 p.m.

John Beck and Max Hall were very good BYU QBs. It hasn't been that long.

As for Heaps, how long until the Bronco haters start criticizing Weiss for "mistreating Heaps and stifling his development?"

Yeah, not holding my breath waiting for that one.

• GoodGuyGary Houston, TX
    Oct. 6, 2013 8:22 p.m.

I felt bad for Heaps. He didn't survive Doman's 2 QB system, quit and gone and wait for another year before he plays again. Now, 5 games into the new team, and found himself in the same old crap. Should have red-shirt last year at BYU and fight for the starting job. Very unfortunate man.

• Christopher.B Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 8:23 a.m.

I wish Jake the best of luck this season and next year. He is a great talent who, unfortunately, both with his current and former team, does not have the talent necessary around him to win big games. Good luck this year Jake.

Fellow BCS member, University of Utah utes

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 8:47 a.m.

Please tell me all about "Doman's 2 QB system." After Heaps was given the reins at BYU, he had every opportunity, week after week, to develop. After Heaps won the starting spot, Riley Nelson didn't see the light of day until Heaps had failed so miserably that Mendenhall's job was probably on the line to keep him in.

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    Oct. 7, 2013 9:09 a.m.

First off, Heaps isn't a BYU alum, please don't categorize him as such. Secondly, I still hope for the best for him, but I'm also very glad he's no longer here. His 4 touchdown to 5 interception stat line was very reminiscent. I watched a few minutes of an earlier game, and it's clear that he doesn't lead his team, he's nonchalant in his demeanor, refused to go for the tackle after one of his interceptions, and usually has that whiny look at his face that we all got so familiar with. Maybe he can still develop into an NFL caliber qb, but I think the first half of his season shows that he really wasn't mismanaged at BYU. He might have a cannon for an arm, but there are a lot of other intangibles that go into being successful.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Oct. 7, 2013 9:38 a.m.

Come on Dave, "alumn" doesn't only include graduates of the school but includes former students as well. I think Jake did his best at the Y and was simply as not as good a fit as everyone had initially hoped. I still wish him well.

Incidentally, I'm an IU alumn and probably know you. How's it going?

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 9:42 a.m.

@ Christopher.B:

Following your same line of reasoning... apparently Travis Wilson, a great talent who unfortunately does not have the talent necessary around him to win big games... since half way through the season they are still PAC-12 winless again this year.

As you mentioned... Kansas and the Utes do have things in common. Both are BCS conference affiliated. And both actively compete for the cellar status of their respective conferences each year. Continued good luck to both.

• Sportfanatic West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 10:05 a.m.

@DSB

Bronco was never a suppoter of Jake Heaps from the get go!If you remember, his freshman year, he was starting to flourish under Robert Anae, and then Robert Anae left the program due not getting along with then assistan coach Lance Reynolds. Doman was just a very young and inexperienced quarterbacks coach, who was promoted to offensive coordinator following Anae's departure. Doman did not have the reigns given to him by Bronco, therefor Bronco dictated evry aspect of the offense as well as the defense. Doman was all about Heaps, and Bronco was all about Nelson. Because of the difeerences of opinions within the coaching staff, the palyers became divided as well. There were several starters on the offensive side of the ball that didn't want to play with Heaps. The locker room was divide and Bronco did nothing to put an end to it. The offense suffered and so did Jakes career at BYU. I blame Bronco for ruining Jake Heaps and his confidence. We all see where Riley took us! Nowhere! So no DSB, Jake Heaps did not have a fair chance at BYU!

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 10:30 a.m.

Multiple rotations during each series not an ideal system. Wow, poor Heaps. Good luck kid. Is he a junior or senior?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 11:04 a.m.

Tators,

Wilson as of yet doesn't have the talent to beat many of the Pac 12 teams.

But the talents that he does have is certainly good enough to beat byU.

We don't play byu 12 times a year.

If we did, we'd be BCS Bowling year after year.

Good Pac 12 talent > Utah talent > byU talent

Just remember, however "bad" we are, you're worse!

Scoreboard!

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 11:47 a.m.

@ Sportfanatic

2011
    Game 1 vs. Ole Miss - Riley Nelson ran one play, gained 6 rushing yards.
    Game 2 vs. Texas - Nelson ran one play, gained 4 rushing yards.
    Game 3 vs. Utah - Nelson mopped up the last 5 minutes after Utah built a 47-10 lead.
    Game 4 vs. Utah State - Nelson takes over as BYU QB with 5 minutes left in 3rd quarter, leads Cougars to victory.

After nearly 3 3/4 games of offensive ineptitude, Mendenhall finally gives up on Heaps and finds that Nelson performs enough better to win some games, and has about a thousand times more heart and guts than Heaps. He's not Johnny Manzeil by any stretch, but it's an improvement.

In all of 2010, Nelson was relegated to the typical backup QB role - a few run plays, and mop up time. Apparently Bronco's alleged man-crush on Nelson didn't translate into favorable playing time for his pet. Heaps was given EVERY opportunity to succeed, and any division on the team had nothing to do with Bronco and everything to do with Heaps.

I think it's more accurate that some fans had, and continue to have, a deluded man-crush on Heaps.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Oct. 7, 2013 12:42 p.m.

Chris B,
    Hate to burst your red tinted bubble but neither team is so much better then the other that they would go undefeated only playing each other and even if they did neither team would go BCS bowling or to the playoffs!!! Just like having beaten us for the fourth year in a row will send you BCS bowling this year!!!

Go Cougs!!!
    Go Stanford!!!

• MrPlate Lindon, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 12:50 p.m.

So, Sportsfanatic, just wondering about the divisions in the Kansas lockerroom now, and how Coach Weiss must obviously be favoring the other quarterback, and how the offensive coordinator must obviously be doing a lousy job. After all, Heaps inability to rise to the top has to be the fault of everyone around him, right?

Funny, I don't recall a single negative word about Heaps from Mendenhall, ever. Although we are aware that several offensive players lost trust in Heaps, just like you said, is anyone aware of any offensive players who were fiercely defending Heaps? Loss of trust was clearly Mendenhall's fault, I suppose.

As an avid BYU follower, I read a lot of articles about BYU football. When Heaps was starting, Mendenhall was "all about Heaps," and it was only after Heaps lost his starting spot through his own poor passing, terror of the defense, and lack of heart, that Bronco became "all about Nelson" in support of his starter. Still, not a single negative word about Heaps. All the Heaps groupies need to face reality.

• evansrichdm west jordan , UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 2:14 p.m.

Heap leaving was never Mendendall's fault, Heap is the one that picked up and left because he was upset about his being benched. I supported Heaps and figured he would learn and realize why he was bench and try harder to earn the starting position again. For a while when Nealson was injuried it looked like Heaps had learned his lesson and was going to move forward and was plahing better. His last game as a BYU QB was rather good for the most part. Then he acted against anything that was team like transfered and was rather bitter about it. After that I have not missed Heaps at all and with how things are going for him now I have no pitty for him. He needs to growup and man up for the game of football. With Hill I have been impressed with how he has grown and we are better off for it as a football fan base.

• trueblueBYU Provo, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 3:15 p.m.

Gators

RIGHT ON!

• el guapito Provo, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 3:24 p.m.

Have you ever seen Heaps try to make a tackle after throwing an interception? No? I haven't either. The young man might have a cannon for an arm but clearly dislikes contact of any kind. He hurries his throws when under pressure. That doesn't make for a very successful quarterbacking. He obviously didn't turn out to be as good as the hype either in Provo or at Kansas. I wish him the best but I am very glad he is playing for Kansas and not for BYU.

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 12:11 a.m.

Still, I wonder if BYU has a better team surrounding their quarterback. I wonder if BYU's offensive line would be considered better than KU's? If BYU's receiver's would be considered better than KU's? and if BYU's running game would be considered better than KU's? I think the answer is probably yes on all 3 counts, meaning that Jake is probably doing pretty ok given what he is surrounded with.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 10:14 a.m.

It's a tough world out there. In football the final score is the metric of success. Personal interest stories sometimes make for good reading, but they don't appear in the W-L column. Heaps has talent, that's a given, but the W-L at Kansas is the final arbiter. Charlie Weis as the coach is a step down from the BYU coaching staff.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 8, 2013 2:10 p.m.

If Heaps has been moved from starting QB to a rotating QB system, it's apparent that Weis doesn't think Heaps is "the guy". The 2 QB system is almost always a bad deal, but Weis' version of the 2 QB system is the worst I've ever seen. I'm guessing Heaps was wishing he'd stuck around in Provo right now.