Faith

Elder Dallin H. Oaks: 'No Other Gods'

Comments

• New Yorker Pleasant Grove, UT
    Oct. 6, 2013 1:36 p.m.

Very well spoken!

• John Pack Lambert of Michigan Ypsilanti, MI
    Oct. 6, 2013 5:43 p.m.

I was very, very glad to hear this talk. We need to have leaders who will boldly declare what the Lord's standards are and that those do not deviate.

Church members have the right and the duty to seek to enact public policy that advances the interest of the family in a way that connects marriage with child rearing. The definition of marriage as the union of a man and a woman is the minimum definition that makes it clearly connected to child rearing.

• oragami St. George, UT
    Oct. 6, 2013 5:46 p.m.

I'm so glad I left this Church and it's god behind. I feel sorry for those still trapped by it.

• O'really Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 6, 2013 8:04 p.m.

I'm so glad I belong to a church with leaders who have courage to stand up to the trends in society that are destructive to families. Thank you Elder Oaks!

• setlngdwn Fayetteville, AR
    Oct. 6, 2013 8:09 p.m.

Curious why someone like Oragami would even be listening to General Conference if they are so happy to have left the Church.

• skeptic Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 7, 2013 8:34 a.m.

It would be interesting to receive a talk from Mr. Oaks on the many Mormon gods.

• Wacoan Waco, TX
    Oct. 7, 2013 9:50 a.m.

mcbillay, as an active Mormon friend, I would like to thank you for your civil questions. You can probably anticipate my response.
    1. I would not like my marriage referred to as "so-called." Our marriages are referred to as "so-called," our prophets and even our Christianity.
    2. The highest Church leaders believe that they are called of God to provide a warning voice to the world. I believe them. In the past, prophets, Jesus and the apostles did the same thing and some accept what they said and others did not.
    3. The 14th Article of Faithstates "We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may." I expect people be politically active to implement their agendas.
    4. The talk stated our beliefs and that is as important as the LGBT community stating theirs. I found the talk polite and that the LGBT community was far from the only one criticized.
    If Oaks had left out the "so-called" phrase, would you have found the talk unobjectionable?

• MrNirom1 Aloha, OR
    Oct. 7, 2013 11:16 a.m.

There is only ONE God that we worship. It matter not how many Gods there are. 5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) 6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. (1 Cor 8:5-6) Those of the Christian faith have taken God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost and made them all ONE God through the mysteries of the trinity. There is but ONE that we worship. ONE that has give us HIS commandments. And we follow HIM. So having to talk to the other Gods about what they think.. matters not. But I would suspect that they are all in one accord. Just doesn't seem like one God would make homosexuality an OK thing.. and we just got stuck with the Father who says it's not ok.

• MrNirom1 Aloha, OR
    Oct. 7, 2013 11:45 a.m.

This whole conference has the theme of the 10 virgins. The message was very clear it was to the members. Get on the right side of the fence!! You can not say I will follow Christ and then support groups or lifestyles that are opposed to God's commandments. You can not have your cake and eat it to! And if they continue down this path.. expect to happen what happened in the parable. The Lord to say: "Verily I say unto you, I know you not."

56 And at that day, when I shall come in my glory, shall the parable be fulfilled which I spake concerning the ten virgins.

57 For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived—verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day.

58 And the earth shall be given unto them for an inheritance; and they shall multiply and wax strong, and their children shall grow up without sin unto salvation. (D&C 45:56-58)

Your choice Brothers and Sisters.. your choice.

• Church member North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 12:35 p.m.

I have never been happier since I left this church. I urge current members to really think about this church and what it teaches.

• TA1 Alexandria, VA
    Oct. 7, 2013 1:05 p.m.

I do not understand why the Leaders of the Church address issues like this with "this is the way that is it" with regard to the LGBT community as opposed to seeking guidance of the Lord as to how they could mitigate the suffering and disenfranchisement that the LGBT members feel. I know too many members who have left for feeling that there is no place for them in the Church.

• maclouie Falconer, NY
    Oct. 7, 2013 1:50 p.m.

Church member:

I think about every day and have never been happier since joining this Church.

Skeptic:

The Bible teaches there are many gods. So what's your point? BTW, I know some religions (ie the one I was born into) pray to "saints". That sounds like active idol worship to me.

As you know, Mormons worship (ie pray to) One God and dont even pray to Savior (kind of interesting). Many other religions don't know who they pray to and/or pray to other "gods".

If Elder Oaks was to give a talk about the "many Mormon gods" I think his talk would include the same ones mentioned in the Bible and thus they are the Christian gods, the Muslim gods, and the Jewish gods. (ie Baal is a god identified in the Old testament).

• Wacoan Waco, TX
    Oct. 7, 2013 1:53 p.m.

HI TA 1. I am not trying to be confrontational. Your comment seems to be concerned with the LGBT community as well as the Church. With that in mind, why did you select the LGBT community rather than some other group, such as couples having children out of wedlock, who seemed to be a larger target in Oaks talk?

Why do you believe that leaders of the Church have not sought guidance in dealing with the LGBT community? Are you aware of the mormonandgays website? I did not put in the whole address for fear of being caught by filters. Again, I am not trying to be argumentative, just curious.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 1:55 p.m.

McBillay: I believe he used the word so-called in order to draw attention to the point of his talk. Throughout his talk he noted that just because something become legal does not necessarily make it morally right nor does it affect in anyway God's laws. God's laws are God's to give and take, and governments cannot change that. He noted that it is becoming trendy to have children out of wedlock, then noted that regardless of how trendy that is, that it is not morally correct behavior.

That's what apostles do. They are the only people authorized to do so in the whole world... and sometimes it can be difficult to hear them, especially when our personal desires and actions conflict. But that does not mean we cannot be patient and petition the Lord for comfort and guidance in regards to these matters. Apostles must speak out in general, but God also speaks to us as individuals.

I hope you will be able to understand the spirit of his talk. He speaks in precise legal language, because he was a judge in civil matters. It often comes through in his talks.

• MrNirom1 Aloha, OR
    Oct. 7, 2013 2:00 p.m.

Laws are laws... rules are rules. Does one think that going to church and being a member of this church guarantee's them a spot in the Celestial Kingdom when they choose not to obey the law of Chastity? Does one think that God just lets a few sinners in.. but not others? A free pass for the LGBT community but not everyone else? Really?

All the church can do is say we love the sinner.. and stop sinning. One can not live the homosexual lifestyle and be an active member of the church. It is better that if that is the lifestyle one choose to live.. they do it outside of the church. That is why there is disfellowshipment and excommunication. For those who can't make the right decision on their own... one needs to made for them.

Get off the police force if you want to be a criminal. In other words.. one can not call themselves an office of the law.. if they are breaking the very laws they are sworn to protect. The same goes for being a Latter Day Saint. One can not be one unless the are willing to live like one.

• jnlybbert Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 3:50 p.m.

Notice that political correctness is listed among the false gods in this talk. Political correctness has become a popular moral standard, but it is not God's moral standard.

Though we respect the right of others to live as they please, we seek guidance from Apostles and Prophets of God for how we should live our lives. Elder Oaks is an Apostle of God and what he speaks is the truth.

• BYU Track Star Los Angeles, CA
    Oct. 7, 2013 4:10 p.m.

Now that "so-called" same gender marriage is legal in California and there are active, chaste TBM getting civilly married. Will these legally married LGBT membersa be welcomed into family wards? There seems to be a diversity of Opinion on the issue. Not Welcome, says my HP group leaders. Gee, now I know how the Africian American members felt when Inter-racial marriage was made legal throughout the land by the SCOTUS in 1967.

• sharrona layton, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 6:16 p.m.

RE: MrNirom1,There is only ONE God that we worship.

Hear, O Israel: The LORD=(Yahweh) our God=(Elohim) is one LORD=(Yahweh). Deut 6:4.

Ephesians 4:5 “one Lord.” The title Lord, a translation of the Greek term kurios, is one of Paul’s favorite names for Jesus. Since the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament from which the apostle often quotes, renders the covenant name of God Yahweh as kurios, Paul’s frequent use of the same title for Christ is most interesting. It indicates that he had a high Christology, a doctrine of Christ that equates Him with the one true God and covenant Lord of Israel. Simply put, the apostle viewed Jesus as none other than God Himself. As there is only one Lord, salvation rests in Him alone on.

• Stuart McDonald Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 8, 2013 10:04 a.m.

Human laws can make legal that which lying, bigoted, scapegoating men -- like all top Mormon Church leaders, including Dallin Oaks here -- have falsely claimed has been declared immoral by God and therefore were made and continue to be illegal because of such evil men.

• DocHolliday reno, NV
    Oct. 8, 2013 12:39 p.m.

raybies

Only ones authorized in the world?? You are kidding right? Just because you recognize the apostles as more then what they actually are, doesn't mean the world has to follow them. They don't speak to the world, they speak to their church. They haven't been authorized by me to speak for me. How would you know that they have been authorized to speak for the world?

• Jack Aurora, CO
    Oct. 8, 2013 10:33 p.m.

@ DocHolliday,
    He wasn't kidding. Just because you don't believe it, doesn't mean it isn't true.
    You are correct, the choice is there to follow or not, but the blessings don't come to those who don't.
    They don't speak FOR the world, they speak TO the world. So no, they aren't speaking for you, they are speaking to you.
    We know just like the original 12 Apostles. They were called and set apart by those in proper authority to be a special witness for Jesus Christ (that's the calling of an Apostle), so that being the case, you can gain confirmation of that fact from the Source of all truth.

• The Scientist Provo, UT
    Oct. 9, 2013 5:55 a.m.

Jack,

I talk directly with "the Source" all the time. She says she doesn't know those men at all.

• Brahmabull sandy, ut
    Oct. 9, 2013 3:15 p.m.

Jack

Blessings don't come to those who don't follow your god and your religion? I see plenty of happy and successful people that are of other religions or no religion at all. they have great families, make good money, etc. Yes, they have problems like everybody else. But they are in no way short on being blessed. So what blessings are you talking about that are being withheld from the %99+ of the world that doesn't follow your religion?

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Oct. 10, 2013 5:20 a.m.

After over 60 years in the Church I still refer to it as "so called" Eternal Marriage. I've never believed the doctrine for even a moment.
    The Church needs to stop labeling peoples, issues, and actions and take care of it's own business. It's trying too hard to be the guardian of the world when it's only a small organization in the grand scheme of things.

• Spider Rico Greeley, CO
    Oct. 10, 2013 11:02 a.m.

We will continue to speak against sin in all its forms even if it is unpopular to do so. To those that have left the Church I am sorry, and I pray for you. To those within the Church struggling with their faith due to social issues I recommend study, fasting, prayer. I also have struggles with sin. I have found that when I give into those sins I find a malcontent in my life. When I turn back to God and the Atonement I find peace and joy and a greater desire to serve others. Some will wander onto paths that lead away due to the scorn and mockery of others (see 1 Nephi 8). I hope that more will hold fast to the rod of iron that leads to Eternal Life. Hold fast my brothers and sisters.

• slow down Provo, UT
    Oct. 10, 2013 1:08 p.m.

I thought this was a very good talk. I was glad it was given, both for its general and specific messages. We are in a cultural moment where some people--in the church and out, well-meaning and not--are wondering how malleable and "correctable" church principles and policies are. This talk, coming in a series of such messages over the past years, clarifies the difference between the church and society. I am very grateful there is such a difference.