Just like old times: BYU Cougars dominate Utah State in Logan

Comments

• evansrichdm west jordan , UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:42 p.m.

Always happy to see my BYU win.

Hope that Keeton is not out for the season, he is great QB. As much as I am glad BYU won I would have liked to have seen Keeton in for the whole games. I hope that Utah State goes on to have a great winning season in the MW.

• Utah > usu > byu Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:42 p.m.

Aggies, Ute nation supports you. And I believe aggie nation supports Utah.

• Deamon North Logan, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:43 p.m.

Sad day in Aggieland. The offense has a lot of work to do this week.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:44 p.m.

I hope Keaton was not injured too seriously, wishing him a quick recovery.

I have no doubt that BYU would have won this game had he not been injured.

It was good to finally see some TD passes and having Jamaal back. Good game, Go Cougars!

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:45 p.m.

Marked it down Chris B. Again, this game wasn't what you predicted, and not what I expected. Although I though that the game would be closer.

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:47 p.m.

Mark it down.

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:49 p.m.

I'll continue to cheer for Utah, anyone who plays byu, and Utah State. Good luck to Utah State the rest of the year. I think you can compete in the MWC ever without Keeton

Get better Chuckie - see ya next year! You're a tremendous talent and this Ute loves watching you play. Wish you had put byu in their place tonight. Next year.

• BlueNtheFace Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:53 p.m.

Utah > usu > byu:

Awesome spin there. BYU can never win in your mind. lol

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:53 p.m.

Too bad Chuckie Keeton was knocked out early in the game - I hope he will recover soon. Will never know how the game would have turned out if he had stayed in.

A "W" is a "W", and BYU will take it.

The Cougars still put up 31 and probably could have put up at least 38 - clearly BYU ran out the clock for the last 10 minutes. I doubt Utah State would have put up 38 or more - even with Keeton in the game. No matter - this was a good win for BYU in Logan.

• TamaBYU Provo, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:55 p.m.

As always, utah fans are the ones to comment first! Mark it down!

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:58 p.m.

Well, that was easy. Good game cougs.

• Cool Cat Cosmo Payson, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:59 p.m.

Here's a BYU fan who certainly hopes that Chuckie can recover quickly, but it looks like he'll be out for a while. Oh, and thank you Aggies for having the guts to play us every year. It was a tough battle, and I'm sure that next year's Premier Utah Rivalry Game will be another good one.

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:03 p.m.

Chuckie is a tremendous player and his injury is terrible shame. I hope he makes a quick recovery.

Having said that, BYU still wins this game even with Keeton in the game. They had the lead when Keeton went down, and they took their foot off the gas the entire 4th quarter, and gave up a cosmetic TD.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:27 p.m.

C'mon ute fans. BYU was shutting USU down with Keeton in the game. And last I checked Keeton doesn't play defense. BYU put up 31 midway through the 3rd qtr and went vanilla on offense from that point on.

I'm happy to see the progress Hill is making. There's still issues in the O-line but they are also getting better. BYU also manhandled USU at home, while Utah had to pull onside kicks out of their hats to get back in a game AT HOME where they were getting beat 23-14. Looking forward to more progress against GT.

I also concur with what someone else said. I'm happy USU has the guts to keep this rivalry going despite stepping up in conference and having tough OOC games. Much respect for the Aggies. And no, I know plenty of Aggie fans that cheer for BYU and despise Utah. BYU wishes you well Aggies, and the Cougars don't just offer lip service...we actually still want to play and compete with you unlike other programs who think more of themselves than they actually are.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:28 p.m.

Too bad to see Chuckie go down. Nothing but positive for the guy.
    Good win for BYU. Taysom played well I felt. The fumble was bad, but the pick was........weird?

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:30 p.m.

Hope Chuckie makes a quick and full recovery, but it didn't look good. I was a Cougar who thought BYU was going to lose tonight, but played well to win. With or without Chuckie I think BYU still wins the game. Good win and good luck against GT.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:32 p.m.

You know, it's tough to always be right. I knew this game was gonna stink for the aggies.

• Joe Schmoe Orem, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:36 p.m.

Hilarious how BYU can live rent free in ute fans' heads.

Sorry to see Chuckie go down. Hope it is a quick recovery.

That being said there was no way USU offense was going to put up 31 points on BYU's D.

Great win and good to see Hill to Matthews 3x in one game!

Nice win in that High School stadium, only a little bigger.

Hilarious post game comment.

• Stop The Nonsense El Paso, TX
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:37 p.m.

Good to see BYU win, but really, really unfortunate for Chuckie. Hope it's something he can come back from later this season. Go BYU and go Aggies from here on out.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:39 p.m.

I too was bummed to see Chuckie go down. Like Hill last year, this looks like a season ender. I was impressed with the Aggie defense - they played great. But 9 in the box left too many bombs open and boom. I hope Keaton will be back next year. It would have been an exciting game had Chuckie been in the whole time.

Good luck Aggies. You are a classy bunch.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:49 p.m.

With BYU putting up 31 points (38 pts if not for a sympathy gift from the officials), I really doubt the outcome would have been different with Keeton in there the whole game. USU defense played tough and stopped the run game very effectively. Their game plan was to make BYU beat them with their passing game, which is precisely what happened.

• Aaron38 Payson, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:53 p.m.

As a BYU fan I really enjoy this rivalry, and not just because BYU won. Glad to see this rivalry continue every year. It's nice to play against a team and in an environment where the fans don't hate what BYU stands for. This is how it should be--just a football game where good sportsmanship prevails.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:59 p.m.

@Utah > usu > byu "I still think Utah state is the second best team. If they had Chuckie the game would have been COMPLETELY different."

Perhaps, but the only points USU put up before Chuckie left the game were spotted to them by Hill's fumble. After that the BYU defense shut him down. Again.

Also, Aggie fans may join you for a little solidarity tonight, but the truth is that the U is not far behind BYU when it comes to who, or whom, the Aggies hate. U are not well liked in Aggie land either. Especially fans like you.

BYU is not well liked either by both USU & U, which is the result of having dominated the state in football for so long.

At least BYU gives back. I donated some of its former players to act as coaches to teach U to rise above the pathetic and actually become respectable.

You are welcome.

BTW: I think "Utah > usu > byu" is Chris B. moniker version 8.

• AggieFan82 OGDEN, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:15 p.m.

Are you kidding me? If you say chuckie's injury had no effect on this game you don't know football. 1st it's A 10-7 game where the only BYU touchdown is an interception return(so the Aggie d had not allowed BYU to reach the endzone). 2ND chuckie can move the ball and therefore give byu worse field position than Harrison who goes 3 and out everytime he touched the ball. Chuckie moving the ball gives the Aggie d a longer rest than Harrison's 3 and outs. With rest there is no way byu puts up 31 on the Aggie d. They were tired from Harrison's lack of moving the ball. That being said injuries are part of the game and a win is a win but do not discredit the effect chuckies injury had on the game

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:16 p.m.

Taysom is begining to be a BYU quarterback. 55% and 3 TD's is good (I refuse to give any credit to the "Interception" at the end.) Ripping the ball away from a player on his back laying outside the endzone is not an interception. The replay officials need to make an appointment with an optometrist before they try driving, using a computer or kissing their wives. They would get into some serious trouble if they tried. What a joke. Must have been PAC 12 officials.
    Props to the USU defense, they did a fantastic job of trying to force BYU's weak link to beat them. Unfortunately, like I have warned from the start of fall camp, Taysom has an arm, can be very accurate and would come around. He did and Utah State paid for it.
    Best wishes to Keeton.
    Thanks USU for a honorable game. Harrison can carry you too, just give him a chance.

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:17 p.m.

"If they had Chuckie the game would have been COMPLETELY different."

Through almost one quarter:
    26 yards passing
    17 yards running
    1 TD
    1 INT

Had that continued, it would have been under 200 total yards. If it would have been completely different, why could he never do well vs BYU? He never has done well vs BYU and BYU was still showing him who was boss this game. Please provide a statement how it would have been different. I provided one to argue against it.

• perfidemintrepidus Riverton, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:18 p.m.

So if Chuckie is such a great passer, why did he give BYU the easy lead on the first play? Look fellas, the game would have been a win for BYU whether they had Keeton or not. Perhaps it would have been a closer game, but this was the BYU's game to win from the beginning! Great game! Also, all the people disrespecting Taysom Hill and the coaching staff should take a step back and realize that they work hard to prepare for each game. Nobody has a perfect night, but that was a pretty impressive performance on all sides of the ball. Go Cougars!

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:20 p.m.

"With BYU putting up 31 points (38 pts if not for a sympathy gift from the officials), I really doubt the outcome would have been different with Keeton in there the whole game"

Yes, he would have had to score at least 32 points against a defense allowing only 17.

usus only TD's were off a fumble and with BYU's starters out. usu is lucky this wasn't a shutout.

• Sports Are Great Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:21 p.m.

Aaron, you obviously haven't gone wearing byu gear to a byu usu game in Logan recently have you? I was at the game tonight and there were a half dozen posters that I couldn't mention on this family friendly website. The aggies don't like byu. And it was nice to crush them.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:25 p.m.

@utah>usu>byu
    "Aggies, Ute nation supports you. And I believe aggie nation supports Utah."

aka Chris B--Uhh...Your insecurity is showing again.

• Y>U Anaheim, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:30 p.m.

"I still think Utah State is the second best team."

They are:

BYU > USU > utah

Mark it down!

• dont get mad WVC, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:35 p.m.

Good win Cougars and good game USU! Kyler Fackrell will be playing on Sundays! Let's get ready for the next game.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Oct. 5, 2013 12:29 a.m.

I'm a BYU fan who is very disappointed to see Chuckie get hurt... He is the heart and soul of the Aggie Offense and to start the game with a pick 6 by KVN followed a short time later with the injury to Keeton it would be difficult to impossible for any team to come back from that.

I thought Utah State had a good Defense and a good game plan... BYU finally adjusted to their overload of the bos and Hill began to show some confidence in his arm... He is still going to have to improve though if the Cougs plan on winning some of thes big games down the road (Boise State, Georgia Tech, Wisconsin and ND)...

I certainly hope that Chuckie can come back this year... The timing of the injury is tough though as their biggest rival for the championship of the MWC comes into town next week...

• spokaloo Adin, CA
    Oct. 5, 2013 12:30 a.m.

"I still think Utah state is the second best team."

I totally agree with this guy. Who wins isn't always the barometer of the better team. That's why I agree with him that Utah State is the second best team in Utah. Right behind BYU.

• vinnyb3 Provo, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 12:52 a.m.

I'll buy blaming the large margin of victory on Keeton's injury. But there's a lot of speculation going on to say USU would have won with him in when he got injured on a failed 3rd down conversion, was 4/10 passing with an interception, and only scored on a short field.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Oct. 5, 2013 1:43 a.m.

@ Utah > usu > byu - Salt Lake, UT - "I still think Utah state is the second best team. If they had Chuckie the game would have been COMPLETELY different."

Riiiiiight.....

So let me ask you this: why is it that when BYU loses Jamal Williams when we played you guys, it was "Utah DOMINATED BYU" but when USU loses Keeton when they play BYU it's suddenly "USU would have beaten BYU if Keeton wasn't hurt".

Why is that?

Nope, no double standard there.....

Here's what I say:

why don't we play you guys again WITH Jamal Williams AND Spencer Hadley and see who wins?

Deal?

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Oct. 5, 2013 1:46 a.m.

Article quote: "Hill completed 17 of 31 passes as the offense rolled up 438 yards. “It helps when we throw on first and second down, which is what we did tonight,” said Hill."

Taysom, please, please, puh-leeeeease tell that to Coach Anae.

Passing football is BYU football.

And you can mark THAT down!

Go Cougars!

• The Dixie Kid Saint George, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 3:25 a.m.

Chuckie doesn't play defense.

• MacNasty Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 5, 2013 6:03 a.m.

Chuckie is a class act. He refused to be carted off to the hospital and remained on the sidelines to support his team and Harrison.

You know, Harrison was actually pretty good considering the cauldron he was thrown into to. I think the Aggie offense will be OK.

Finally, the best team in the state is the one that ends of ranked the highest in the final polls. Only a totally ignorant individual thinks a single game determines the success of a whole season. the Ute trolls can beat their chests now, but there is a good chance the Utes will be the 3rd best FBS team in the state AGAIN. Once again, Chuckie is a class act and is a good example of what a college football player should be.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Oct. 5, 2013 6:33 a.m.

Much respect for Chuckie. The injury didn't look good at all. The BYU D kept the aggies out of the redzone for the entire game. The only time they got there was with Taysom's gift, and at the end of the game with our 2/3rd team defense. Not a bad effort.

Next up, GT.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 7:11 a.m.

Rise and Shout for the BYU Cougars. Great, great win where they were predicted to lose. Too bad about their QB, but it was a freakish way he landed on that leg. They showed the replay of it several times. I never like to see any of these young men injured. Not an intentional injury as was Jamall Williams who was pounced upon and crushed by several players in the "other" game and with no penalty, I might add.

We watched Mitch Matthews catch pass after pass in their Fall Blue & White game. We have been waiting and wondering why Anae wasn't calling some plays to him from Hill. We were happy to see it and anticipate much more from this fine young man!

Go Cougars against Georgia Tech for Homecoming next Saturday!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Oct. 5, 2013 7:19 a.m.

Hated to see the game being blacked out in our area but I was glad to hear the Cougars won. Sadly, it was a bummer to hear Chuckie got hurt and taken out of the game in the 1st quarter. Hope he's not too seriously injured and that he can return quickly to lead his team.

On another note, I wish the fans of all 3 teams are nice and respectful of each other. The hate is so very toxic and so unnecessary. Even sadder is most are probably all members of dominant faith in the state that stresses kindness and civility towards each other. So shameful and sad and I'm so sick of it.

Go Cougars! Go Utes! Go Aggies!

• Hochmut West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 7:46 a.m.

The last I recall, Keeton doesn't play defense;

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Oct. 5, 2013 8:07 a.m.

Best wishes for Chuckie. It really appeared to be a serious injury. I don't wish injury on anyone. Good win for the Cougars. The amazing thing for me in this game is that the QB actually hit a wide open receiver way down field. It's been awhile since we've seen that. Congratulations Hill. It was a beauty.

• ManInTheMiddle SANDY, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 8:19 a.m.

Striker - don't forget to add that last year Chuckie put up a whopping 3 points on the Cougs.

• Wacko Houston, TX
    Oct. 5, 2013 8:59 a.m.

"By the start of the fourth quarter, Aggie fans started heading for the exits."

REAL fans don't leave until the game is over.

• Texans for BYU Houston, TX
    Oct. 5, 2013 9:04 a.m.

RE: Utah > usu > byu
    Salt Lake, UT

"Aggies, Ute nation supports you. And I believe aggie nation supports Utah."

The other side of that statement is that BYU supports all other teams in the PAC12 and all the other teams in the PAC12 support BYU.

Hatred is a vengeful thing and always has two faces.

• GilmerTexasCougar Gilmer, TX
    Oct. 5, 2013 9:07 a.m.

It's too bad that a great quarterback was injured, but BYU was ahead at that time. The fumble by Hill in the first quarter was a blown call, because clearly Utah State was guilty of a face mask infraction so it should have been first and ten for BYU at the 30 and not the Aggies ball at the BYU 15. The interception in the end zone was also a questionable call, but those things happen all the time in games, as well as unfortunate injuries. In spite of the BYU offensive line doing a very poor job of blocking most of the game, the BYU defense is so good that the Aggies were never really into the game. I'll take the victory and I hope Keeton heals quickly. Good luck to the Aggies and go win the MWC.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 9:11 a.m.

Congratulations to BYU on the win. I was not able to see the game due to a prior commitment and was shocked when I saw the score. When I read Keeton went down in the 1st quarter it made more sense. Still, BYU scored on a good USU defense so credit needs to be given to them.

I hope Keeton is able to return. He is USU’s offense. I hate to see this injury. Good luck to both teams going forward

• RepresentBlue West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 9:12 a.m.

By the way, does anybody miss the MWC? Cause I sure as heck don't. I have DirecTV with all ESPN channels in HD, but I don't get CBS-SN. Had to listen to the game on KSL. So glad BYU left that garbage TV contract in the dust.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 9:23 a.m.

Cougsndawgs
    Interesting post when you said:

“And no, I know plenty of Aggie fans that cheer for BYU and despise Utah.”

I find that extremely hard to believe. You must live in some weird dimension.

I do not know any USU fans who cheer for BYU. None. Zip. Nada. In fact most USU fans I know (I know many) dislike BYU more than any other team. Pretty much USU and Utah fans are brothers in their dislike for BYU.

• bigirish OREM, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 9:25 a.m.

Ok, ok, before we start getting too giddy, what is Hill talking about? We passed on first and second downs? What game what HE playing in? The way I saw it, we tried to run the same predictable plays on first and second, and got stuffed most of the time, left with a lot of 3rd and longs. Maybe I'm up in the night, but they seemed to contain our running game in the trenches. So TH did have to pass, and Mitch and a few others did get open, and their secondary was pretty soft. Ok, Taysom had some great long throws mostly, did improve his accuracy and had to, because they didn't let him run much himself. So once we can put a solid game together of pass AND run, we're going to be dangerous. Beating a wounded Aggie team without Chuckie is still not a huge accomplishment and we shouldn't let it go to our heads until we can beat GT, Houston, Boise, Wisconsin and ND - one game at a time. Now that's what I'm talking about.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 9:39 a.m.

RepresentBlue
    With BYU’s independence basically relegating them to the lowest bowl game every year and with no conference championship to fight for, you think this is better because you can watch all the games from your home. Your thinking is what got college Football in this mess in the first place.

I buy season tickets to Utah because I want to watch the games and support the team. It is great that all our games are also broadcast. Even better we belong to a conference where nine of the 12 games matter. So we truly have the best of both worlds.

BYU’s biggest mistake was leaving any conference from a competitive standpoint. As an accountant, I understand the money side but it makes no competitive sense.

• CWOOD1111 Holladay, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 9:42 a.m.

@CougsnDawgs Last time I checked we beat both Utah State and BYU. Sure, we didn't beat USU at home as much as BYU did on the road but Chuckie Keeton was in the game for 1 quarter and a little against you guys. And sure we did pull onside kicks, but we've gotten 2 out of 2 this year. Good luck to USU for the rest of the year! Hope Harrison can regroup and contribute for USU.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 10:04 a.m.

Sports are Great

"I was at the game tonight and there were a half dozen posters that I couldn't mention on this family friendly website."

I was at the game last night, too, and sat in the middle of a bunch of Aggie fans. Although some were silly, none of the posters I saw were awful.

Aside from some mild trash-talking Aggie fans were pretty nice. Admittedly, I wasn't anywhere near the student section, but I didn't see any horrible behavior where I was.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Oct. 5, 2013 10:21 a.m.

Best Wishes to Chuckie Keeton - heal up and head up, you're a great player.

I'm a little confused by the news release this morning though. I guess after Thursday night's game UCLA - UofU game, the PAC 12 has decided there's a requirement to brand the field of one team in the conference beyond the normal PAC 12 logo. But was it really necessary for them to insist that Rice-Eccles freshen up that logo and add the the word "Doormat" ?

• bigsoccer West Valley, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 10:24 a.m.

Glad to see BYU win, sad to see the best quarterback in the state get hurt last night, here's to a speedy recovery to Chuckie.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 5, 2013 10:32 a.m.

Utah > usu > byu:
    Why? so he could throw another pick 6 to Van Noy? Keaton is a great player and I really do hope he is not out for the year but he would not have changed the outcome of the game, Byu dominated, go back to the bottom of the Pac 12 please.

• Utejazz West Valley City, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 10:32 a.m.

Yep Utes fans comment on the BYU article! Just like BYU fans comment on ours! Goes both ways!

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 10:51 a.m.

It's amusing reading BYU fans beating their chests after defeating a Keeton-less Utah State team. I have news for you. If the Aggies have Chuckie for the entire game, Utah State beats BYU by at least 2 touchdowns. Have you Cougar fans not watched him play this year? He's on the same level as Oregon's Mariota and Georgia's Murray. No way BYU beats Utah State with Keeton.

@macnasty

"The best team in the state is the one ranked highest in the polls."

Haha. Nice try. We know that you are counting on BYU 's built-in cupcakes (i.e. Middle Tennessee, Idaho State, Nevada, etc.) to pad your win total and influence the voters/computers. Utah has the nation's 5th hardest strength of schedule, and has no build in easy wins, unless you count the victory over BYU.

The only true way to determine the best team in the state is through head-to-head competition. And that honor this year goes to Utah.

• agb Layton, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 11:04 a.m.

Great win for BYU. Hope Keeton gets better soon. He's a phenomenal athlete.

On a separate note, it's curious that a BYU/USU thread is full of some of the same Ute fans who have purportedly claimed to have both programs behind.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Oct. 5, 2013 11:33 a.m.

"Uani Unga leveled Keeton on a hit that injured the USU QB"

This makes it sound like Keeton was hurt because of the tackle, but Keeton clearly jumped in the air and landed awkwardly before he was brought down. There must be many videos of this already available.

Hate to see anyone get hurt, hopefully Keeton will be back soon!

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Oct. 5, 2013 11:39 a.m.

BYU was able to stop Keeton last year, but Keeton seems better this year. So, it is possible that with Keeton USU might have been able to have a higher score, making the game more competitive. While USU was pretty good at stopping BYU's run game, they had little answer for the passing game. You have to give USU credit for never giving up and playing their best until the end of the game.

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 12:02 p.m.

AggieFan82 1st off Chuckie does not play on defense,so whether he was in the game or not i seriously doubt the Aggies would have put up more than 21 points on BYU,s defense, the cougar defense was superb and most likely would jave held chuckie in check regardless,the Aggie defense failed at its job pure and simple.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 5, 2013 12:17 p.m.

@jacjarus

You love to bust on Utah about there position in the PAC 12. BYU would be behind Utah in the PAC 12, don't kid your self. The head to head match ups prove that. A healthy Chuckie Keaton wouldn't have altered the out come? Really? There goes your credibility, right down the drain.

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 12:20 p.m.

@GoRed

You said - "If the Aggies have Chuckie for the entire game, Utah State beats BYU by at least 2 touchdowns."

Seriously? Even before he got hurt, Keeton only went 4/10 passing, including a pick six to Kyle Van Noy. Not only that, Keeton doesn't play defense, and the Aggie defense which was supposed to totally shut down Taysom Hill allowed Hill his best efficiency numbers of the season, and the Cougars scored 31 points.

I don't blame you and the other Ute fans for being upset though. After telling Cougar fans over and over and over again this week to "Mark It Down" that Utah was going to beat UCLA and Utah State was going to dominate BYU, if I were a Ute fan, I'd be pretty upset right now too.

• SWWeatherGuy South Weber, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 12:30 p.m.

@gored

I think you're blinded by your own bias/hatred because your post holds
    no credibility. What's amusing, even irritating, is reading ute
    "fans" posts long before, during, and after a game that doesn't
    involve them in any way. I'm a Weber State fan first, then enjoy
    watching the other teams in the state, least of all Utah because of
    their arrogance (for what? Don't know) and their typical "fan"
    postings.

Yes, I've watched every USU game this year-- start to finish-- and am
    excited for what Wells and Keeton have done for their program. I was
    actually rooting for BYU because they are my favorite in-state fBS
    team (despite Bronco as a head coach and RA as an OC) but I was hoping
    for a close, exciting game. I feel horrible for Chuckie and wish him
    the best going forward. BYU's D (17 PGP) would have held their own
    against Keeton and please explain how he would have stopped BYU from
    scoring 38+ if the D hadn't let up in the 4th?

Cupcakes? Ha! Weber State? PAC10.2 not as great as u think. Have
    the utes played out of state yet? Hmmmm?

• coleman51 Orem, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 12:38 p.m.

Before you Aggies complain that the outcome would be different if Chuckie Keaton was in the game; I only need to remind you that your defense gave up 31 points to BYU for one reason and one reason only. When your coaches assign someone one-on-one to a 6'6" receiver there will always be a match-up problem; particularly if your defender is 6-8 inches smaller. Mitch Mathews caught three touchdowns on your defense because of your coaches decision to assign someone one-on-one and significantly smaller. Chuckie Keaton would have made no difference when your defensive coaches gave Robert Anae a dream come true with your match-ups. Rather that examine your players, question your coaches decisions, particularly your defensive coaches. Other teams are not stupid and will exploit that every time.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 12:43 p.m.

First and foremost: May God Bless Chuckie Keaton. I do hope he heals up quickly.

Big J, just to name a couple and there are many more. My son, a Senior at USU, was in the student section jumping up and down with excitement as Van Noy intercepted and scored - yes my son is first and foremost a BYU fan while an aggie student. He attends most of BYU home games even when it causes missing an aggie home game.

My Brother is a USU professor, he has 5 season tickets and travels to Provo to support his Cougars. Don't think he gives much thought about the aggies otherwise, except last night which made him happy.

And certainly those who support the aggies full heartedly and not necessarily fans of that team that has a chicken for a mascot.

I as a BYU alum and fan used to cheer for the aggies except for a football and basketball game each year. After the crude reception of Brandon Davies a couple years ago I dont care, dont follow the aggies - except last night of course.

• DSB Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 12:53 p.m.

Sure Keeton would have made a difference, but how many points are needed to get Utah State to a 2 touchdown victory? That's a 31 point swing, plus probably a lot more if BYU doesn't stick in their 2nd string squad and stop playing aggressive office for an entire quarter of the game. And his mere healthy presence on the sidelines alone would have inspired the defense to stop BYU? WOW - Keeton really is Superman to single-handedly make such a difference - probably the very best football player in the history of the game... but not superhuman enough to beat the unstoppable total dominating force of the Utes. What a laugher!

Seriously, some of you are more delusional than the most reality-deprived BYU fan who ever lived.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 1:11 p.m.

@Big J

If Bronco and Whittingham each coach their respective teams for thirty years, Bronco still will have won more conference championships than Witt. BYU is thriving in independence. I wouldn't give that up.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 1:18 p.m.

Why cheer for "U" (at slc)?

KVN the man and Taysom well done.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Oct. 5, 2013 1:40 p.m.

@spokaloo "I still think Utah state is the second best team.....Who wins isn't always the barometer of the better team...."

Isn't that unintensional truth in your own advertising. You can point right at your utes as proof for that statement.

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 2:01 p.m.

Spokane Ute

"BYU would be behind Utah in the PAC 12, don't kid your self."

You have absolutely no proof that would be the case. The head-to-head matchups prove NOTHING.

Case in point: 2012

Utah beats BYU
    BYU beats USU
    USU beats Utah

So what, exactly was "proved" by the head-to-head?

USU finishes the season 10-3, #16/#17 with a bowl win
    BYU finishes the season 8-5 with a bowl win
    Utah finishes the season 5-7 with no bowl

Final Sagarin rankings and SOS
    #19 USU #97
    #26 BYU #63
    #61 Utah #41

As you can clearly see, not much difference in SOS for BYU and Utah, but BIG difference in record and ranking.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 2:07 p.m.

@swweatherguy

You accuse me of being "biased (and) hatred", yet all I said was that if USU had had Keeton play the entire game, they would have won by at least 2 touchdowns. Anyone who has seen him play this year (yes, I, too, haveseen all of his games televised except the U game, where I was there) knows that he is the special kind of player who can take over a game. And as the game would have progressed, he would have done just that against BYU, especially with his home crowd backing him. Where is there hatred in that statement?

As far as talking of "bias" and "hatred", you are the one who is showing your hatred toward the U by your "PAC 10.2" reference.

Watch your own hypocrisy.

• Utehaterforlife West Valley, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 2:52 p.m.

"GoRed
    WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    It's amusing reading BYU fans beating their chests after defeating a Keeton-less Utah State team."
    Ok we had Riley Nelson for two of those years your team beat BYU, with any self respecting QB Utah obviously loses right?

• SportsFan Orem, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 3:05 p.m.

gored

"if USU had had Keeton play the entire game, they would have won by at least 2 touchdowns."

You have absolutely no proof that that would have been the case?

BYU was leading 10-7 at the time that Keeton was injured, and Chucky was had only completed 4 of 10 passes for 26 yards, with 3 carries for 17 yards. Utah State's only score had come after a BYU turnover gave the Aggies the ball on BYU's 15-yard line.

Bottom line, just like last year, BYU's defense was DOMINATING Utah State BEFORE Keeton was injured.

• WJCoug South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 5, 2013 3:15 p.m.

With the progression of Taysom, if BYU were to play Utah right now BYU would win by AT LEAST two touchdowns - no question. Utah benefited from a favorable schedule.

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 3:34 p.m.

I really enjoy the BYU vs USU rivalry. Both teams are intense, the fans want to win, everyone is hanging on every play. How different from the hatred and nastiness of the Utah game. Most Ute fans have been arrogant, vicious, and disgusting. May the BYU vs USU games go on forever!

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 4:05 p.m.

CWOOD1111 chuckie does not play defense ,so with or withot him usu still would have lost ,its defense that womn that game byu,s defense was great and USU,s was not,our defense was hoiding keaton down even b4 he got hurt sounds like sour grapes to me becuz the team you hate so much cleaned the aggies clock end of story.

• Mountainman56 Alpine, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 4:15 p.m.

Very sad to see Chuckie get hurt and hope he fully recovers and is able to finish a great career.

Also sad that Kyle Whimpey was hurt last week and is out for the season. Great athlete and great young man. I've always been sad that he and his brother Kevan who are Utah County kids from Lone Peak, went to USU and not BYU.

The outcome of the game would not have been different with Chuckie in all game. He couldn't beat BYU last year and wasn't going to this year. His numbers were less than stellar when he was in and he certainly wouldn't have had anything to do with stopping BYU from putting up 31 points.

The "interception" in the back of the end zone in 4th quarter was completely bogus. If that counted as a touchdown as it should have and BYU doesn't put the brakes on, they end up with 45 points or more.

Hill will be the best BYU quarterback in a very long time by the time he's done at BYU.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 4:23 p.m.

@big j

You're wrong, don't let your own biases delude you into thinking you know all. Fact's are these, most of my family on my mothers side are from Logan, in fact I was born in Logan. All of those relatives are aggie and BYU fans, none like utah, none. My father is a grad of both schools, he is a BYU/Aggie fan. I myself am a BYU/Aggie fan as are most of my brothers and sisters.

That said, I do not care if aggie fans like BYU or not. Nor do I care if they like utah or not. I would imagine most aggie fans dislike both BYU and utah but am willing to be of the aggie fans that share their fandom between 2 of the schools there are more aggie/BYU fans than there are aggie/utah "fans".

Of the virulent haters I would guess many more of that ilk like utah and/or usu but they are simply haters of BYU and attach themselves to whoever BYU might be playing like a parasite to an unsuspecting host.

• CordonBleu Park City, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 4:53 p.m.

gored

It's amusing reading Utah fans beating their chests after defeating a severely cramping Keeton lead Utah State team. I have news for you. If the Aggies have fully healthy Chuckie for the entire game, Utah State beats U by at least double digits.

Utah fans are so inconsistent in their "what ifs", assuming that the only valid "what ifs" are those which result in a positive outcome for the Utes.

• goodDr. sandy, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 4:56 p.m.

Big J. Once you beat a pac 12 team that finishes with a winning record, let's talk. Waiting, waiting, waiting.....

• why the anger galveston, TX
    Oct. 5, 2013 6:56 p.m.

You know, this is sad. I scrolled down to read the comments about the game, and instead it's just a bunch of hate from Utah fans. Yes, I'm a BYU fan. But I didn't grow up in Utah, nor do I care much about the rivalry that Utah has with BYU. As a matter of fact, I usually cheer for them for all their games except when playing BYU. This is ridiculous that Utah fans feel the need to come and belittle BYU when they had nothing to do with the game. Last time I checked, BYU played Utah 2 weeks ago.

I had no problem with the Utes for years, but this is gotten old. I can't read a single article that involves BYU in some way that you won't find Ute fans trashing them. Personally, I'm glad BYU doesn't play Utah for 2 years because this is not healthy. I would much rather have Utah State become the official rival after what I have seen from the Ute fans the last few years. Let the Utes move on, thats what they want to do anyway. Let's just be done with them.

• Utahute72 Tooele, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 8:16 p.m.

Sorry to hear about Chuckie, and exciting player to be sure. I'm just glad it was from a football play, not one of those gator roll tackles they are known for. Hope he's back stronger than ever.

As for those rude, vile Utah fans. We have the same impression of BYU fans, sounds like a good time to end the series.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Oct. 5, 2013 11:09 p.m.

@ute fans

A quote from your own.. spokaloo says...

"Who wins isn't always the barometer of the better team..."

Truer words were never spoken by a ute fan.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Oct. 5, 2013 11:25 p.m.

@Go Red

Your comment is just silly... Utah State had the utes beat...AGAIN... had the PAC12 refs not come to your aid...

BYU was dominating on both sides of the ball in this game and any objective person who saw the game would agree...

Had Chuckie been able to play the whole game USU wouldn't have been given the last touchdown that they got on a second and third team Defense... But, I think that Chuckie still would have got them in the end zone a couple more time for a total of 21 points... But, had Chuckie played BYU wouldn't have sat on the ball with their second and third team players in the 4th quarter and BYU would have at least scored another 7 to 10 points... I suspect a conservative estimate of the score would have been BYU 38- USU 21 (and maybe even 28 but I doubt it)...

I think Chuckie is one of the premier QBs in College Football, much better than Wilson... And their Backs, much better than the utes backs... And their Defense, rated stronger than the utes.

Just feel fortunate that BYU's not on your schedule next week...

• bigirish OREM, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 11:42 p.m.

For USU, when you live by the Chuckie, you die by the Chuckie. Like Coach Wells said, you're a team and have to win as a team, not just one guy. Too bad they lost him, but they can still be formidable in their conference, with good D and improving O. Sorry for the Utes loss too - hope they can show better in their Conference, but Wilson seems to be streakier than thought on his passing. It's tougher than expected for them in the PAC -12 and I wonder if they ever have second thoughts jumping to that big coast league. I agree with Justmythoughs, Utah fans are just too nasty to continue that rivalry. USU might is a lot more civil. I'm hoping my BYU is on an real improving incline and not just enjoying stomping a wounded and deflated team. GT upcoming looks pretty tough. Let's try some running plays that work, how about it?

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Oct. 6, 2013 12:19 p.m.

USU will win at least five of their next six games. The Boise State game next week is the only game I am not as confident in. Win that one and USU will play in the title game. Lose that one and Boise gets in.

BYU gets Georgia Tech next week at home in what should be BYU's strength on GT's strength rush D on Rush O. BYU should win that one if they play clean and keep the foot on the petal.

Utah, well you impressed me with your effort last week save the plethora of turn overs. UCLA is a great team. Stanford is better than UCLA and also more consistent. It is more likely Utah begins PAC12 play on a 0-3 skid. No one expects the Utes to win. Prove the world wrong and crush the cardinal's dreams!!!

If all three teams take care of business, next weekend would be the best for the State in years.

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Oct. 6, 2013 2:59 p.m.

why the anger
    galveston, TX I agree with you whole heartedly,i was once a ytah season ticket holder,until they joined the pac whatever, since that time their fans have become arrogant snobs,especially the haters/trolls that just can,t wait to post on every single article about BYU or its players,so now i hope that the Utes never win another game in the pac whatever their hateful arrogance makes me want to puke.

• Mark321 Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 7, 2013 11:19 a.m.

@ Utahute72

"Good win for BYU, with or without Keeton. I just hope they don't expect to be playing in the National Championship game this year."

Do you really think BYU fans at least the majority believe that? National Championship this year? I read BYU articles regularly and occasionally I'll comment, but except for a few occasions over thousands of comments that I read do I hear an uninformed unrealistic BYU fan say something like that. The vast majority of BYU fans don't believe that. For the most part unless you're a SEC team, you have to go undefeated to be in the conversation and that includes all other BCS teams outside the SEC. Fans are fans and as a BYU fan, I'll support BYU and hope for a good season. If we get 10 wins that will be a big deal with schedule we have this year. That will require us to win the rest of our games (including bowl game) save one loss, and with Boise State, Wisconsin, and Notre Dame left winning 2 out of those 3 would reflect well for BYU.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 7, 2013 12:28 p.m.

@Poyman

Great list of excuses. I wish BYU was on our schedule every week, it's an automatic win. Was this year, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before............

SCORE BOARD GUY!

It doesn't lie.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 9, 2013 1:24 p.m.

@BYUalum:

"Not an intentional injury as was Jamall Williams who was pounced upon and crushed by several players in the "other" game and with no penalty, I might add."

Williams' ducked his head at the end of the play. He knows better. The Ute defender hit Williams in the back, with his shoulder pad, not spearing with his helmet. Due to Williams ducking with his head, and the force of the hit, Williams actually incurred injury by his head/neck slamming downward into the ground. It was the result of a bang-bang play, not an intentional cheap shot. It was unfortunate, and nobody on either side wanted to see something like that happen!

I imagine being 0-4 against your bitter rival is difficult. But let's not resort to false accusations.