Utah football: Utes fall short in upset bid against No. 12 UCLA

Comments

• play by the rules SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:51 p.m.

May Kyle's next victory come against the University of Colorado. He has spent so much time scheming to beat BYU that he can't coach his way out of a paper bag these days!

• PG #1 FAN Lindon, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:51 p.m.

Utes lose to a PAC12 opponent again.....where are you Chris...I thought that you Marked it Down. 6 picks against the third best team in the South 4-8 and no bowl game...Mark it down Christy

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:52 p.m.

Couldn't be more proud of our team, coaches, and conference.

And just remember to those who mock utah's record in the PAC 12:

However "bad" we are, you're worse! We beat you!

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:53 p.m.

Way to represent Utes! Six interceptions? Had no idea you were that charitable.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:54 p.m.

In the passed month, both BYU, and Utah played ranked teams.

The state showed well with a 1 & 1 record.

Let's hope the utes haven't run out of gas.

• ChristoperB Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:56 p.m.

Isn't it funny that fans whose teams can't beat us have to jump on the bandwagon of teams who do?

We own the state of Utah.

Tonight we showed we can play with anyone in the country.

Proud member of the second best conference in the country!

Go utes!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:56 p.m.

Utah played an entertaining game and is a decent team. But after marking down another one of Chris B's erroneous predictions, I'm about to send him a bill for all the wasted paper he's cost me this year.

But hang in there, boys. Utah still might beat an out-of-state team before the end of the season.

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:58 p.m.

Utes home for the holidays, congrats

• Alterego Harrisville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:00 a.m.

Utah will still go to the rose bowl

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:01 a.m.

I am a BYU Cougar fan, but let me just say, hats off to the Utah defense. You guys played your guts out and on so many plays, you prevented UCLA from scoring or even getting a field goal.

In this game, the Bruins 3rd conversion rate was horrible and that is due in large part to that amazing Ute defense.

But now, Utah's offense is faced with the same problem as BYU's offense. TURNOVERS!

Take away a couple of turnovers in this game and in the Oregon State game and the Utes are easily 5-0 right now.

There aren't very many times when I feel bad after a Utah loss, but tonight was one of those times.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:03 a.m.

Uh oh, what is it going to be from ChrisB...silence or excuses? Winner of this will win the south. No respect for the Devils equal no respect in return. Spin it how you want "close game to a ranked team" in the end, it's another mark in the loss column and another loss to a winning PAC 12 school. Utah does not deserve to be in the PAC 12.

• TamaBYU Provo, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:04 a.m.

I'm excited to hear what my friend ChrisB have to say. Good game by the Utes they came close.

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:04 a.m.

Utah ought to looking into the BIG SkY

• Where is Hadley? Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:04 a.m.

As tough as the conference is, would usu and byu beat anyone in the PAC 12 if we invited them(we won't)? If Virginia is too much, Colorado likely would be too.

Byu and the WAC 2.0(Mwc) are a combined 0-11 against the PAC 12. I guess that answers my question!

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:06 a.m.

Utah played very well tonight. Their defense was top notch. My hats off to the Utah defense.

Some thoughts:

1) This game could have been a hour shorter than it was if it wasn't for all the dang commercials with TV timeouts. Disappointed with FOX Sports 1 on this game.
    2) The refs were terrible, on both sides. Reminder: This was the same crew that blew the call at the ASU Wisconsin game and another game a week later.
    3) Utah's defense is for real
    4) INT's were not Wilson's fault, can't blame a QB for tipped INT's. I will say this. Someone on another article said how does a 6'7"QB get tipped. Answer: When your delivery is side arm and not over the top. That is how Wilson throws (side arm)
    5) UCLA was clutch on 3rd down conversions
    6) Hundley should have pulled the ball out and ran it more. The middle was stacked and so was running left.
    7) UCLA had a lot of key passes dropped with a lot of room around to run.

My hats off to the Utes, they played solid, especially D!

But Happy for my Bruins!

• Bartholemew T. Benedict the III Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:09 a.m.

The refs made a lot of bad calls in the game. Is it too much to ask that it be called the same for both teams?

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:10 a.m.

Only one Ute fan I want to call out, it is only because of his "Mark it down" comments. Your post for the past two weeks is below ChrisB

Chris B
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Win tonight = Win Pac 12 South

I'm calling it now:

Utah 27
    UCLA 24

Utah 1 turnover
    UCLA 3 turnovers

Mark it Down

I am sure you will be back next week doing the same thing because you never learn. Again, my hats off to the Utah Utes, I am a believer, you convinced me tonight. But still glad my Bruins hung on to win. Go Bruins!

• PACute_ Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:11 a.m.

Travis Wilson mania on hold as the Utes are well on their way to their usual 0-4 start in the PAC 12.

• samuel h wiscomb Sun Lakes, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:13 a.m.

You CANNOT expect to win when you throw 6 interceptions

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:13 a.m.

Good game Utes. I know none of us believe in moral victories, but I think Utah made a statement tonight. Winning in SLC is going to be very tough for anyone. Utah is a good football team, and they showed it tonight. Keep your heads up...the Cardinal is up next.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:17 a.m.

Tough loss. No such thing as moral victories but there were some good things that came out of this home loss.

Even though the offense was sloppy the defense was extremely good against the #12 team in the nation.

Easy to see why the Utes were good enough to beat my Cougars.

Obviously the six interceptions were the reason for the loss, but that will not happen again and the prospects of beating lesser teams should propel the Utes into a bowl game at the end of the season, and with their schedule that is saying something. I certainly didn't see that at the beginning of the season.

Well Cougars and USU tomorrow night.

Go Blue...I mean gooooooooooo Cougars

• play by the rules SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:17 a.m.

It would be nice to see Kyle focus on beating teams in his conference rather than focusing all of his energy on BYU. I think the winds of change are beginning to blow!

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:25 a.m.

Final score should have been 41-27, but UCLA graciously took a knee instead of returning Wilson's final interception for a TD.

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:28 a.m.

OOPS!

Mark it down.

• dont get mad WVC, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:32 a.m.

Whats the Utes home record vs the Pac 12 since joining the conference?

• ClarkHippo Tooele, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:52 a.m.

Under different circumstances, I might have sent out a chuckle to the Utah Ute trollers, but considering how well the Ute defense played in a hard fought, seven point loss, just like BYU's loss against Utah a few weeks back, I'll save my negative comments.

The Ute defense did everything they could and more to win this game. They stopped a lot of UCLA's 3rd down conversion attempts, they made UCLA's defense go three-and-out many times, including after several Utah turnovers, and they also got a pick-for-sixth in the 4th quarter.

I predict that, if Utah can control their turnover margin (just like BYU is going to have to) the Utes will finish with a 7-5 record and play in a decent bowl game.

• Zorro Bakersfield, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:55 a.m.

That was a great game to watch! I was impressed by Utah's defense. To be that close with 6 turn overs is amazing.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 2:15 a.m.

CB:
    Please stop saying "we". YOU had nothing to do with Utah's performance and gutty defense tonight. YOU don't belong to a BCS conference, the ute coaches, players, etc do. Stop taking credit, making excuses, and aligning yourself with "we". There's no C or B in "we".

• So Utah Fan St George, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 3:39 a.m.

Most likely, another year without a bowl game. I guess beating BYU was your bowl game. Keep it up Kyle.

• Th Tooele, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 3:58 a.m.

Funny how the roles of fans have completely changed over the last 13 years.

BYU can't beat Utah so naturally the next best thing to do for BYU fans is to bag on them when they lose. Pat Kinahan was right in his article he recently wrote. Personally, if I were a BYU fan, I'd keep my mouth shut until after you beat Utah State. But since that won't happen, you probably should have just stayed away for the weekend. But hey, have fun in the battle of the little brothers.

As for the big game tonight, Wilson was not on his game. The receivers didn't help. I think its games like this that it really kills Utah missing Kenneth Scott on the field. The O-line was humiliated in the second half. They must get better to compete next weekend.

Some may not agree, but Utah is close! These are games in the past two years Utah lost by 4 touchdowns. Utah's D is getting good again which is exciting to see. Now the O must pick it up again.

Go Utes... Next weeks is in my opinion, a must win. Too bad its Stanford!

• Mark D LAS VEGAS, NV
    Oct. 4, 2013 4:08 a.m.

@ChristopherB:

Smack your lips all you want when it comes to beating the boyz from Provo, but at least keep it real when it comes to teams from the PAC - you're "0 for" when it comes to games against my Sun Devil's since joining the PAC. This "at least we played hard" stuff doesn't cut it when that's exactly what you're mocking with your brethren down in happy valley...

Just sayin...

• Cats Somewhere in Time, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 4:13 a.m.

I just wish we were all still back in the MWC. The Utes are clearly in over their heads in the PAC 12 and being independent and having no conference championship to play for is not much fun for the Cougars. I think money and TV are ruining college football. The old regional conferences and rivalries are being destroyed.

Getting national exposure is great for the Cougars and I realize that BYU football exists to be a representative for the Church so there are many positives for independence for BYU. But, I can't see anything positive about the PAC 12 for the Utes. They just continue to look worse all the time. The PAC 12 is a disaster for the Utes and I hope they are beginning to realize it.

• Hamath Omaha, NE
    Oct. 4, 2013 4:31 a.m.

UCLA is quite good. Quite good indeed. They are probably the best in the PAC 12 this year save Oregon. But we will see. PAC-12 is easily the second best conference this year. Might be the best one.

Oregon, Arizona State, UCLA, Washington, and Standford are all quality teams. Oregon State, Arizona, Washington State and Utah aren't as bad as most conference second tier teams.

Can't wait to see the Colorado-USC game... wooo hoo! or did that already happen??

• Top5Alive salt lake city, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 5:21 a.m.

awesome effort by the UTES!!! our defense is fast man. wow.

• Frozen Chosen Savage, MN
    Oct. 4, 2013 6:04 a.m.

I don't know why Utah dropped BYU from the schedule - it seem like they're the only team that Utah can beat these days...

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Oct. 4, 2013 6:06 a.m.

"And for those who say Utah won't be UCLA, you are the same people who said Utah wouldn't beat usu and wouldn't beat byU."

Can't imagine who said that??!! Looks like those who said UCLA would win know more than him about football. That's the problem with Utah. They are so obsessed with beating BYU (and they barely do when they focus for months on it as usual) that they can't beat any good team in their conference. Shallow, shallow program. They need to get a clue.

3-9 season coming up. Most of games left are on the road. Learn to beat teams in your conference instead of treating them all like they are playing New Mexico. Still love seeing their fans expectations sky high only to shatter hard on the solid ground. Let's use a bit more logic when predicting games shall we? Battle for the basement with Colorado. I love their PAC membership!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Oct. 4, 2013 6:07 a.m.

Wow, from a diehard cougar fan, I was even more impressed with the Utes! They've got my respect! Truly they are even much better than I thought! I have no doubt that with a couple less turnovers they easily could've come up on top. I watched and rooted so hard for them last night I was disappointed when they came up short. And as one of the announcers said, they are much better than their record.

On the other hand, I watched the Texas/Iowa State game too and I thought the better team didn't win. Iowa State was robbed of a score by the refs because clearly Texas fumbled in the red zone in the final minute and Iowa State recovered and ran it back but was nixed by the refs. Texas simply is not good this year!

Btw, how 'bout them women volleyball cougars!!! They creamed Pepperdine 3-1! It was an awesome display of talents on both teams! Very exciting contest!

Go Cougars! Good luck Aggies after tomorrow!

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 6:13 a.m.

Hey Chris
    We're ALL loving your Pac-12 membership! LOL
    So is the Pac! LOL
    They enjoy the sure win whether at home or in your house! LOL
    Have you beaten a fellow member with a winning record yet? LOL
    LOL LOL LOL
    Maniacal laughter!
    How many picks did your QB throw last night? LOL
    How many running yards did your QB get last night? LOL

To other real Ute fans, tough loss. Wilson is a gamer. The kid will be amazing!
    Best game of the season for the running backs. All three ran hard.
    Fun game to watch!

• BYUHOCKEY American Fork, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 6:36 a.m.

On a positive note Utah regained the rice Eccles stadium interception record previously held by BYU since 2008.

• Cool Cat Cosmo Payson, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 6:40 a.m.

Great game to watch; the Utes fought hard, but moral victories aren't going to be quite enough to compete in the PAC-12...and they may not be enough for Whittingham to keep his job if they miss a bowl again this year.

As for the "At least we beat YOU (i.e. BYU)" rhetoric, whatever let's you sleep at night, chrissy...and I thought you didn't CARE if U played BYU though...hmm... Seems those wins against your instate foes are the ONLY things you can really brag about these days...I guess you still can't quite forget them "WAC" and BYU teams as easily as you claim.

• The Solution Dayton, OH
    Oct. 4, 2013 6:44 a.m.

As Coug fan I can admit that BYU would not be doing much better than Utah in the PAC, especially this year. The PAC has some really great teams this year.

The fact that Utah is taking it to the end means that they are close to turning the corner, just like BYU is.

Good luck to Utah the rest of their schedule.

to Where is Hadley? I do believe that we would have no problem handling CU.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 6:50 a.m.

is RES now known as "Pick City"?

Chris, Stang? Comments?

Actually utah played better than I thought they would, but 0-2 in the pac is still 0-2.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:00 a.m.

Hadley,

"WE".....really? I am pretty sure you have no say in who any conference invites. As much as many Aggie, Ute and byu fans want to think their team is by far the best in the state, the fact remains that all 3 are very close this year as well as last. Being in the PAC 12 hasn't made the Utes pull away from the in state teams talent wise as some thought they might. In fact the Aggies are closer now than anytime since the 60's-70's and their program is only going to get better. GO AGGIES........

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:08 a.m.

What a great game!

Two good teams battling it out on the field and the most enjoyable part was that I didn't see one receiver after missing his pass jump up stretch his arms out look at the refs and do the flag pull motion, and there was zero cheating antics like holding onto the defense secondary as you flop to the ground trying your thespian talents to draw the PI.

Refreshing to see two great teams battle it out straight up.

Good job Utes!
    Satake, great D calling!

• Old ball coach Sandy, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:08 a.m.

Can we stop worrying about out of state, rose bowls, and south championships,.....and worry about an offense that got shut out in the 2nd half last night.

• BruinRay97 San Diego, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:10 a.m.

My hats off to the UTES. That was one heck of a game. There is no quit in this team and the rest of the Pac12 is on notice. Stanford is in for a rude awakening next week. Bruin nation is behind you the rest of the way. GO UTES!

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:11 a.m.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:24 a.m.

Great game to watch but in the end a lot of sad Ute fans today I am sure.

To let a critical game slip out of their hands with 6 interceptions was unbelievable.

Utes beat themselves on this one.

I was quite surprised by the defense holding UCLA so well but the inability to catch a ball on the critical plays was just too much.

I'm just waiting for the first excuse about the weather. It's coming, I know it's out there somewhere!

So looking forward...

Stanford
    Arizona
    USC
    ASU
    Oregon
    Washington St
    Colorado

Wow, last night could be the beginning of a 6 game losing streak.

I'm not sure if there's 3 wins in the remaining schedule. It' going to be a nail biter for that lesser WAC or McWCish bowl.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:25 a.m.

Congratulations to UCLA for the hard fought win Thursday night. The final score did not turn out the way I hoped but the game was extremely entertaining. I loved the effort for the Utes but sometimes the execution was not there. Still, in the final seconds of the game you had a chance to tie it up. That means you competed. Good things are on the horizon. Keep fighting.

Go Utes!

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:33 a.m.

@Th:
    "BYU can't beat Utah so naturally the next best thing to do for BYU fans is to bag on them when they lose. "

I see mostly class from the BYU crowd on these threads yesterday and today, giving the Utes props for a hard-fought game. We never see that from Ute fans on the Cougar side. Why is that?

• Cletus from Coalville Coalville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:35 a.m.

We would of won Ucla but the refs let them foul our hiesman quarterback all night.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:47 a.m.

The Utes showed that they belong. I still think they will get at least 1 signature win this year and qualify for a bowl.

No excuses. Credit the UCLA defense...tipped balls are defensive plays. Credit Hundley.

byu "fans".
    Thanks for supporting the PAC 12, wish you we're here...not!

• morpunkt Glendora, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:55 a.m.

Utah always burns up all their energy for the season in just one game, versus BYU. Every year, after the Utes play BYU, they seem "spent" of all their energy for the rest of the season. And when they go up against a conference full of blue chip athletes, as in the PAC12, on a weekly basis, well, there you have it. Losses.

• jtopherj Rexburg, ID
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:07 a.m.

Amen Mark D

I love how Chris B's attempt to vindicate Utah's relevance is by bashing BYU. The fact is that the Utes are the basement dwellers of the PAC. Nobody outside the great state of Utah cares that u beat BYU. Sure they are always fun games but face it, you need to stop flappin your jaw until you beat someone who actually matters.

Lets review the last 2 years:

UCLA - Loss (twice)
    Oregon St - Loss (twice)
    Arizona - Loss
    Washington - Loss
    Washington St - Loss
    Cal - win (whoooooohoooo)
    USC - Loss
    Arizona St - Loss
    Utah State - Loss

Now I'll list the wins that matter..........................N. Colorado.

Its been marked down.

• SEC Rules Seminole, FL
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:11 a.m.

Chris B.

Sing it with me:

I'll be home for Christmas
    You can count on me
    Please have snow, and mistletoe
    and my Pac 12 Membership under the tree.

Mark it Down

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:15 a.m.

The bowl just flushed

• Deamon North Logan, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:19 a.m.

Winnable game for the Utes and I'm sorry they couldn't pull it off, but don't go claiming you have a better QB than Chuckie anymore. 6 picks in a big game is ridiculous.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:19 a.m.

@UtahBruin

Good Game. UCLA was the better team. They won fair and square. These moral victories by Utah are getting hard to swallow. They can play with most everyone, but beating most everyone is a different story. I must call you out on your prediction though. I told you that there was no way UCLA would blow Utah out, the Vegas line was spot on. Good Luck the rest of the way!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:22 a.m.

@Ekute

I hope you are right Bro. It's gonna come down to how Utah does against the Arizona schools. A big win would be nice, and it almost happened last night. I think Utah can beat anyone in the PAC 12 outside of Oregon and Stanford. Now it's time to prove it. Take care Guy!

• tlaulu Taylorsville, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:23 a.m.

Chris B's Post Season Song.

"I'll be home for Christmas, you can count on me".

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:29 a.m.

Well said Mark D

"As an ASU Alum, I am usually entertained by your diatribes of how the Utes are "this" and "that" - but I have yet to see any substance from your Utes in the PAC to back it up... Sure, you can beat teams from the State of Utah (most years - the Aggies dropped you last year...), but when it comes to teams from the PAC, you seem to be coming up short.

Start actually winning some games in the PAC for a change, instead of merely "looking good" and then maybe those of us from the PAC-10 will begin to give any credibility to the thought that you actually belong in this league..."

• caleb in new york Glen Cove, NY
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:30 a.m.

as close as Utah is to being 5-0, I'm predicting they get 3 more wins the rest of the way and make it into a bowl game as a 6-6 team. They could beat Arizona, USC, Wash St., and Colorado without even needing to pull off an upset. If they lose to two of those teams, its a minor possibility they beat one of ASU, Stanford, and Oregon.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:31 a.m.

@Deamon

You can't put all those picks on Wilson. At least 4 of the 6 were tipped by Utah's receiver or tight end. Catch the dang ball! That killed Utah last night.

• tlaulu Taylorsville, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:33 a.m.

It's a good thing the Utes aren't playing the Y for awhile. They can now focus some of that energy into winning some PAC 12 games instead of energizing too much to beat the "school down south".

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:34 a.m.

Moral victories: 2
    Actual conference home victories: O-fer
    Thank goodness for the moral victories. Without them we'd be off to yet another rocky conference season as we settle in to our customary, designated spot at the bottom.

• Lavell Walnut Creek, Calif
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:46 a.m.

I don't go to many Ute home games but for it being a blackout vs the #12 team in the country and to have that crowd be SO quiet and lame is embarrassing. It took a pick 6 to finally get some noise going. And so many empty seats as well. Pathetic fan base based on my outside observation. Maybe stanford will sell out RES but doubt it. Probably need 'bama to come in for that to happen.

• Hochmut West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:49 a.m.

If you count the 6 passes Wilson completed to the UCLA defense, his passing percent climbs to 65%--not bad for an up-an-coming PAC12 star;

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:49 a.m.

Good effort but the Utes come up short. Tough to win with 6 turnovers.

Utes need another win - Where's BYU on the schedule when you need them?

• Utehaterforlife West Valley, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:54 a.m.

Bet your proud of your Pac 12 membership, and being in the second best conference in the country, and the bottom feeder of that conference, you get to compete with Washington State and Colorado. Whats the point of being in the conference and bragging about it, if you can't win in it?

• Kiboo South Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:07 a.m.

This is exactly what astute fans said would happen to Utah when they joined the Pac12 four or more years ago. Yet Utah fans continued to rub it in the faces of BYU and USU fans by touting PAC12 membership, predicting Rose Bowl appearances, Southern Division championships, and generally degrading everyone in the state who is not a Utah fan.

I am nor every will be a Utah fan and if you ask me, the arrogance displayed by most Utah fans is being duly repaid by the beating they are taking on the field as they continue their role as door mat of the PAC11+u.

Hope you slept well last night Chrissy. I know I did.

• TanMan_101 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:11 a.m.

Saying that utah can't focus after the game against BYU and doesn't care the rest of the way: BYU played the mighty Blue Tulips if Mid Ten State, while Utah played top 10 ranked UCLA. Little difference in the skill level. Ucla is very good, take away turnovers, utah BLOWS them out. I'm not going to use the "UCLA didn't win that game, Utah lost that game" like so many cougar fans do. We dropped passes, so we weren't prepared enough, I'm just saying that we had plenty of chances to win.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:13 a.m.

To my fellow Utah fans: I'm tired of reading talk about good efforts, close games, and moral victories. There are no moral victories. Winning is winning and losing is losing. Doesn't matter if you lost by an inch or a mile. UCLA was the better team - they beat us on the lines and won the turnover battle.

To the BYU fans: Scoreboard. You just got owned by Utah for the 4th year in a row - you have no room to talk about anything. Tonight you're going to cement your status as the 3rd best team in Utah. So before you post, remember this word: Scoreboard. Nothing you post about Utah doing poorly in the PAC12 means anything because no matter how bad you try to make Utah look, the scoreboard makes BYU look worse.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:17 a.m.

@SpokaneUte

You are right my prediction was a bit (way) off. I am a UCLA fan, I have to think my team is that much superior. To be honest, the reason for my 45-17 prediction was because of Utah's play against BYU, that was all. I actually thought Utah would beat BYU worse than they did. But again that is a rivalry game and they can get tough. That was my bad on both accounts.

But, if Utah plays the way they did the rest of the season, some teams better watch out. Stanford has what I think is a tough game against Washington this week. It sets them up for a potential let down game coming into Rice Eccles the following week. I still like Stanford, but your Utes impressed me last night. Especially the defense, they are for real. My hat is off to the Utes, they are tough.

Thanks for allowing me to be part of the banter this week fellas. And for most Utah fans, thanks for keeping it cordial. Again, my hat is off to the Utes, good luck the rest of the way.

As always for me, GO BRUINS!

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:18 a.m.

Exciting game--tough loss. That Utah was even in a position to tie the game at the end was remarkable given all the turnovers; the coaching move to kick the field goal on fourth down and bet everything on recovering an onside kick was gutsy and brilliant. I don't see Utah beating Stanford, ASU, or Oregon, but they can beat UA, USC, WSU, and Colorado and get into a bowl game.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:28 a.m.

Utah needed an interception on fourth down to beat BYU, an onside kick to beat USU, and another to be in the game against UCLA.

#12 UCLA needed an interception on fourth down to beat Utah.

BYU put 550 yards on then # 15 Texas. The most yards ever.

My point is that we have three great Universities in Northern Utah. Very few time in the past half century have we had so much great football played across the board.

Time to quit sniping and enjoy some great football.

After tonight, I hope all three teams play well, stay healthy, and win their Bowl games!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:28 a.m.

Back at you Bruin. Good win and good luck the rest of the way!

• Johnny Triumph American Fork, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:28 a.m.

@ChrisB - sounds like Wilson needs some pointers from Taysom Hill about how to NOT throw an interception!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:32 a.m.

TanMan_101
    West Jordan, UT

Take away turnovers, utah BLOWS them out. I'm not going to use the "UCLA didn't win that game, Utah lost that game" like so many cougar fans do. We dropped passes, so we weren't prepared enough, I'm just saying that we had plenty of chances to win.
    ===

You say your are not going to make the excuse, and then you do. You can't have it both ways?

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:36 a.m.

Utes fans blasting and putting blame squarely on the shoulders of Taysom Hill for being a pathetic QB, but now all we here after 6 picks!!!!! oh don't blame Wilson its not all his fault. I'm so glad to see UCLA win, the Utes are Pac bottom dwellers and will always be.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:38 a.m.

It's so interesting that Chris B still won't admit he's wrong whenever he is... which has been quite often this seaason. He has a very selective memory when bragging about his few right predictions, and then seldom admits his miscues by trying to put a different spin on things whevener they happen.

But the fact is, Chris, Utah just isn't one of the power teams in your power conference, having already lost to 7 different teams in it... and still no wins against winning-record conference teams. So just keep take pride in the fact that Utah is still a member (although a losing one).

That being said, my prediction is that Utah will soon be 0-3 against conference teams by the end of next Saturday. If they couldn't beat OSU or UCLA at home, there ain't no way they are going to beat Stanford.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:39 a.m.

2 losses at home nuff said

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:42 a.m.

Brave Sir Robin,

What about to your fellow PAC 12 South members? No respect again. Utah fans think they are entitled to be in the PAC-12. They show little if any respect to fans of the other teams and their fans. Scoreboard to the BYU fans? You realize that eight other schools from last year can say the same to you, right? I know my Devils can. Remember last year? 37-7...SCOREBOARD. I confess, I had to look the score up, unlike Ute fans who memorize the BYU scores. I had to look it up because ASU goes into those games expecting to win...because Utah isn't a rival, or even an equal. They are a carpet, a rug, a doormat. Nothing else. I guess I should change my handle to "Utah padding our Schedule" because that's all your games are doing for us. Maybe the MWC will take you back. You should check into it.

• hamrdown OREM, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:42 a.m.

I see a lot of predictions on here as to how the U will do the rest of the year, so here are my predictions (L=loss for Utah, W=win for Utah):

Stanford L
    @ Arizona L (but could go the other way)
    @ USC L (I think the new coaches will change this team)
    Arizona St L
    @ Oregon L
    @ Wash St L
    Colorado W

So I have the U winning one game the rest of the year with the possibility of 2. I just don't see them doing anything better. The PAC is a difficult conference this year and road wins are nearly impossible. So, that leaves home games where they might have a chance but with Stanford and ASU coming to SLC, I don't Utah wins.

• PG #1 FAN Lindon, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:43 a.m.

@caleb in new york
    Glen Cove, NY

They are just as close to being 1-4. Bad play calling by Utah State and the phantom holding call on Hines kickoff return are all that separates the Uties from a 1-4 record right now. As for next week, the Utes get curb stomped by Stanford. Finish the season 4-8 and have a great seat to watch all the winning teams play their bowl games, on their couches at home. At least they will have plenty of time to study for finals.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:47 a.m.

Gotta love the PAC homer announcers trying to convince fans that somehow Utah is an elite conference team. Especially comical was when Petros pointed out that the fans were coming back through the portals to see the ending after having left. Uh, get back to us on that Petros when the Utes accomplish anything in the PAC outside of gymnastics.

PAC officiating is flat out embarrassing.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:48 a.m.

"Pick 6" - a whole new meaning!

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:53 a.m.

Alterego
    Harrisville, UT
    Utah will still go to the rose bowl.

Yeah, only if they can get tickets and charter a bus.....

• TanMan_101 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:57 a.m.

@Veritas Aequitas

I'm not using it as an excuse, we lost, we made mistakes, we didn't play as well as we needed to to get the win. At Utah we accept when we lose a game instead of blaming everything under the sun, but our own poor play. Our receivers were awful at times. They need to be better.

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:03 a.m.

Tanman_101
    We BYU fans can say the exact same about the BYU/Utah game with the margin of victory the same!!! Following your own logic if UCLA had scored a touchdown after each of the 6 int's they would have blown out the Utes!!! Tough loss but at least you have the Championship of the State of Utah to hang your hat on and crow about!!! What is the trophy for that by the way? No out of state or conference wins must really hurt!!! Please tell us how many SEC teams the PAC12 has played and beaten this year to claim the right as second best conference in college football?

Go BYU beat the Aggies!!!

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:09 a.m.

@ChristopherB. "Couldn't be more proud of our team, coaches, and conference."

Somehow if the utes had won this I'm fairly certain you could find it in you to be even more proud, and crowing even more stridently today; even to the point of you going over to Alabama forums to talk some trash.

One of the other ute faithful previously posed a question, complaining about the inconsistent officiating, and openly asked if it would ever be possible to play a game where it gets called evenly? BYU and every other OOC team asks that same question every time they play a PAC12 team and are forced to submit to PAC12 officials. The answer is always a resounding "no".

The PAC12 official's credo is-- First protect conference teams, second: if both teams are conference teams then protect the team that can go the farthest into the NCAA and make the most money and prestige for the conference.

It is nice that the utes hung in there to the end. But, when all is settled, there is a lot of parity between the U, USU, BYU, and the bottom half of the PAC12.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:11 a.m.

@sundevil

Considering the refs gave u the game against Wisconsin, your credibility goes right down the drain, what a joke.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:13 a.m.

I just got an advance copy of the new SAT test. Here's a sample question:

Utah is to the PAC12 as Kentucky is to _______________?
    Answer: The SEC

Extra credit if you answered SEC "Cellar Dweller."

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:28 a.m.

The BYU vs USU game is not on ESPN?
    Looks like Nevada vs San Diego State gets preference. LOL!

Looks like the Mighty Independent Conference is down this year.

Navy 2-1
    Notre Dame 3-2
    Old Dominion 3-2
    BYU 3-2
    Army 2-3
    Idaho 1-4
    New Mexico St. 0-5

The band of buddies is having trouble holding their own. Come on BYU, Idaho & New Mexico St., Show some pride. Thank goodness BYU signed a bowl contract!

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:41 a.m.

Good one PACBasement'sOurSchedule. You forgot to mention 0-2 in the PAC, both at home. Or, that you're the only team in America who has played 5 games and not a single one further away than a 10 minute bus ride to Provo. Let us know how you do when you actually have to play a road game.

And speaking of bowl contracts you belong to the conference that pretty much guarantees a bowl of some sort to any team with a pulse. How did that work out for you last year? The outlook for this year is not pretty either.

• Pride Provo, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:44 a.m.

So here's what I've seen, Utah plays pretty well against good teams. Just like against Oregon St, turnovers gave a game away they would have won handedly, but a loss is a loss. I still think they can make a bowl game this year, but what I find most intriguing about them is how young they are. I think these next two years are going to be where we can gauge really how good they will be in the PAC12.
    These BYU fans make me chuckle though, BYU has yet to beat a respectable team (and Texas is terrible so don't try and use that one), and I wouldn't be surprised if they miss out on a bowl game this year as well. Their schedule is a lot softer than previously portrayed, but from what they've shown this year, I'd say there is nothing to brag about.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:44 a.m.

Take heart, Utes! After watching the game last night, this Cougar fan is not worried at all about Stanford coming to town, or any of your other opponents beside the Ducks. You have all the pieces you need to win and pull out upsets. You just need to cut down on the turn overs. That's what killed you last night. So I hope you do well the rest of your schedule. I certainly don't want to hear we lost to a Pac 12 cellar dweller. That would be more hurtful to me than your fans belittling and badmouthing us.

Go Cougars! Go Utes! Go Aggies too after tomorrow!

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:48 a.m.

Seriously cougar fans! You guys have no room to talk smack and belittle our team. Utah OWNS you on the field 4 years running, 9 of the last 12, and 57-34-4 overall. Scoreboard cougies!

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:57 a.m.

TanMan_101
    West Jordan, UT

TanMan_101
    West Jordan, UT

@Veritas Aequitas

I'm not using it as an excuse...
    ===

You did. Own up to it. Especially after using it to slam BYU.

How many Utah fans have blamed the refs?

You guys really can't have it both ways...

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:58 a.m.

These Utah fans make me chuckle though, Utah has yet to beat a PAC-12 team (with a winning record), and I wouldn't be surprised if they miss out on a bowl game this year as well. Their schedule is a lot harder going forward than the 0-2 so far, but from what they've shown this year (all at home), I'd say there is nothing to brag about.

Ya, that works both directions.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:00 a.m.

@ Spokane Ute:

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:01 a.m.

Good one BleedCrimson. Deflect your 0-2 predicament back to your state championship certificate. That'll carry you through the rest of your season.

• TanMan_101 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:01 a.m.

@Reno

They didn't score on those 6 picks because we have a good defense? That was a pretty weak post. Defense did their job. I was impressed.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:03 a.m.

@christina

"Taking an undefeated 12 ranked team to the wire in a huge home conference game is something other Utah teams can only dream about."

Hey that's a great point christina, some other team in Utah didn't go to the wire this season against a top 15 ranked team, they'd already pounded that top 15 ranked team into submission long before "the wire" was even an issue. It would seem to me that beating top 15 ranked teams at all, let alone in blowouts, is something "Other Utah teams can only dream about".

LOL!

• TanMan_101 West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:04 a.m.

I'm not ever going to blame refs on a game.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:08 a.m.

The most ironic thing of all is when Utah fans complain about Cougar fans having their fun toward a Utah loss after they do exactly the same, or even more, whenever BYU plays.

When BYU suffers a close loss (the only kind they've had this year) Utah commenters lay it on thick and heavy... especially a few of your most notorious fans. And even when BYU wins, a lot of Utah fans usually come up with this "they were an overrated team"... or some such thing. But seldom any credit.

Please realize, Ute commenters, that the pendulum always swings both ways.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:11 a.m.

@cougs & dawgs:

Leave Chris B alone. He claims to be a part of the Utes, just like you claim to be a part of the Cougs and Dawgs. That's what fans do. Turn the page.

@any and all YbU fans claiming Kyle needs to focus his energy on beating his own conference opponents:

You know little about football. Coach Whit had his team in a position to win. It's not his fault the Utes gift-wrapped 6 interceptions. TW is not entirely to blame, either. The first four were tipped or on the receivers, the last two were his.

You all need to focus your energy on actually beating the U, and keep hoping and praying for a conference invite.

Go Utes!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:17 a.m.

@ Pride:

Texas is not a bad team... except to those who wear dark crimson colored glasses and who see everything with a strong bias. Texas currently has only 1 other loss besides the one to BYU, currently owns a record equal to Utah's, and unlike Utah, they are currently leading their conference after another win last night.

By the way, where is Utah standing in their "power conference" standings? Pretty hard to put a spin on that one.

• Horrible Stumper Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:29 a.m.

I enjoy reading the comments between the BYU and Utah fans. BYU's arrogance has got in their way of realizing what is actually happening. We have 2 teams going in opposite directions. Utah has joined a BIG 6 conference and is still a little over their heads, but is making progress each year. They are closing the gap between them and the rest of the PAC 12 little by little. BYU on the other hand, is continuing their slow but sure death spiral to mediocrity. Two years when they play again, I am betting Utah humiliates the Cougars. But I am sure Bronco will have a long winded, very eloquent excuse for why that is happening. Way to go Utes, keep closing the gap, you are doing the right thing. BYU....not so much, some thing has to change for you to regain the relevance you had 30 years ago.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:30 a.m.

@tanman

Another whiney post but another whiney utah "fan". The fact is wilson did throw 6 picks, that is awful. Deal with it, he did it.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:34 a.m.

@CougarSunDevil:

Seriously consider changing your handle to Sun Devil. The 0-4 part of your name puts a blemish on your PAC 12 Devils!

• Clark W. Griswold Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:41 a.m.

@ Tators

"By the way, where is Utah standing in their "power conference" standings? Pretty hard to put a spin on that one"

You do realize that you lost to Utah, right? Regardless of where we're ranked in our power conference standings. We still OWN BYU on the field! That you cannot spin!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:42 a.m.

Well another PAC-12 season and another first few games full of turnovers.

Utah is now minus 8 in turnovers but minus 10 in points. In those games so far I see a huge improvement from the previous 2 seasons, as far as being able to compete even with so many turnovers.

In the OSU game it was the offense that kept is in the game. In the UCLA game it was the defense. The good thing is the team didn't quit in either game.

Now I am hoping both offense and defense show up for #5 Stanford next week. That might still not be enough, but we need both to perform before we hit the difficult PAC-12 road schedule.

Go UTES!!

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:47 a.m.

@any YbU poster attempting to lay it on thick:

0-4. Shhhhh! You have no leg to stand on with your attempted smack talk. Beat the U first, then start flapping your gums. Until then, focus on trying to beat the Aggies in Logan, not on a PAC 12 conference game you'll never be a part of.

Go Utes!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:48 a.m.

@samurai joke

"You know little about football.... TW is not entirely to blame, either. The first four were tipped or on the receivers, the last two were his."

Uh, the guy is 6'7" tall, he should NEVER have a pass tipped at the line, ever. He has a funky side arm delivery and horrible mechanics and that is why his passes were tipped at the line, yes those are HIS fault. He had two bounce off of wr's hands, so is it that the wr's can't catch or that wilson threw the ball with no touch? Either way it is poor play in the passing game, you can throw the line can't block in there as another reason as well.

• Pride Provo, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:51 a.m.

@Tators
    Haha really? Their one other loss came against the only real team they've played, who destroyed them. And they needed extra help last night to beat a bad Iowa St. team. That screams for respect. And yeah they're in first place right now, because they've played 2 teams that are in last place in their conference! Baylor, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma have yet to lose at ALL, so maybe start chiming in about how good Texas is after they play them. I just don't understand why Mack Brown is getting asked about his job everyday if they aren't a bad team.

And I never said anything about Utah winning the PAC12, I just said they're competing with young players. We are now finally getting to see some of the PAC12 recruits Utah has picked up since the move starting to take the field. Finally Utah isn't trying to compete with MWC recruits, so all I'm saying is their in great shape moving forward.

• Out of State Utah fan Alpharetta, GA
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:56 a.m.

Tough game last night. UCLA is a great team - classy team with a classy head coach.
    UTAH D kept us in it.

Tators- that pendulum is swinging your way tonight.
    Duckhunter - it's a low point when you resort to playing the 'We beat the Longhorns" card.

Funny that the BYU trolls even comment. Especially with a QB that does not throw a passing TD in all of Sept.
    I guess it makes you feel better. Come calling when your team is competitive again.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:03 p.m.

@Duckhunter

Hey that's a great point christina, some other team in Utah didn't go to the wire this season against a top 15 ranked team.

------------

New Flash in Tulsa...

Texas is not a top 15 team this year.

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:14 p.m.

It's interesting that the majority of the comments on this University of Utah article are coming from giddy BYU fans. I do appreciate the two or three classy BYU fan's comments, the ones that truly do cheer for the instate schools when they aren't playing BYU.

What is most interesting to me is the situation created by two rivals going different directions. The Utah/BYU game is now much more important to BYU because all games must be won to qualify for a BCS bowl game. On the other hand, while important to Utah to win (state bragging rights, bowl qualification), the game isn't as important as their nine conference games. The intelligent fans realize this.

I'm reminded of the 70s and 80s when BYU beat Utah on a regular basis. Utah fans, some jealous of BYU's success and tired of some BYU fan arrogance, cheered for BYU's opponents.

The roles have reversed and we now see BYU fans behaving the same way as Utah fans did in the 70s and 80s. Utah invited to the PAC-12, winners of two BCS games and 14-7 against BYU over the last 21 years.

Obsession? Shadowed? Pathetic?

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:22 p.m.

Actually, some ute fans pay BYU a big compliment.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:25 p.m.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:27 p.m.

Stumper: "Utah has joined a BIG 6 conference and is still a little over their heads, but is making progress each year."

More like a LOT over their heads.

I guess I missed the part where botching a gift wrapped 1st season by losing to Colorado and missing out on the privilege of getting pummeled in the championship game by the north, to a losing season and no bowl, to another O-fer start at home is progress. Please enlighten us.

• Pavalova Surfers Paradise, AU
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:29 p.m.

To the true U fans, what a great defense you have. So impressed with Wilson. Four of those INT's were not his fault. The fight was strong even with all the adversity. Tough loss under tough conditions.

To Chris B, you told us all to "mark it down". Just like in Bball, you were wrong again. Oh well, we'll see how well you do in the Rose Bowl. Hopefully, the INT bug doesn't bite you in that game too.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:32 p.m.

@ Pride:

Yes, and Texas hasn't had a Weber State in their schedule to help pad their record and stats. Utah's only other wins were dogfights to the wire that could've gone either way (since Utah had less offensive yardage and first downs in each those). I knew you would try to spin it otherwise, but the simple fact is that Texas leads their conference and Utah is at the bottom of theirs. Absolute facts. Live with it.

@ Clark Griswalt:

Open your eyes! The last 3 wins Utah has had against BYU and USU have been total dogfights that went to the wire in each game. In fact, Utah had less yardage and time of possession in each of those wins. As such, they were games that very easily could've gone either way.

As such, Utah doesn't "own" anyone... with the possible exception of Weber. Oh, and don't forget they also "own" the rights to the title of perennial conference cellar dweller contender. When and if they ever change that, I will happy to give more respect. But they have to earn it first.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:33 p.m.

@striker..."They are so obsessed with beating BYU (and they barely do when they focus for months on it as usual) that they can't beat any good team in their conference. Shallow, shallow program. They need to get a clue."

Really? KVN and Hoffman didn't go pro because all they were focused on was the Utah game. KVN said several times it was the superbowl. I can post several quotes from cougie coaches and players saying just how much the Utah game meant and how much they were putting their focus on it. They scheduled a bye prior only to give more focus and time to prepare.

Only problem with all the focus they put on the game their still not good enough to beat the utes. Please direct me to one quote from anybody on the utes that said that game was the superowl?

At least some Y fans have common sense and realize right now Utah is the better team. For the rest of you it's commical that you jump on other teams bandwagon's for what the Y can't accomplish...lol

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:41 p.m.

@worf

worf

Mcallen, TX

Actually, some ute fans pay BYU a big compliment. By squeeking out a close win, which could have gone either way,--they feel as if the Rose Bowl is in sight."

Maybe Chris B but no other Utah fan is thinking Rose Bowl this year. The Utes are competing better in the PAC-12 with improved recruiting classes which add badly needed speed, size and depth. I hope the Utes can get six or seven wins this year and get back to a bowl game but I certainly don't think the Utes are a Rose Bowl caliber team yet.

The PAC-12 is a very strong conference this year. Utah lost to a very good UCLA team last night. I think our defense is improving but we have some weaknesses to fix on both sides of the ball.

Good luck tonight against the Aggies.

• CO Ute PARKER, CO
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:42 p.m.

@ Striker

It is easy to make a post since the DN doesn't care if your comments are in any way based on facts as long as you follow the rules. So tell me, how did we treat UCLA like we were playing New Mexico? UCLA is faster and has more talent than Utah, yet it was a 4 point game at the half and a 7 point game (we had the ball deep in their territory) with under a minute to go. I think a reasonable person would say that Utah's coaches did an outstanding job keeping this game close.

I can't wait to see what you post after your team gets throttled in Madison and South Bend. Might even happen tonight in Logan.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:47 p.m.

@uteology

"Texas is not a top 15 team this year."

not anymore they aren't, BYU pounded them out of the rankings. utah cannot make that same claim, they lost to the team they played, and threw 6 picks in the process. LOL

@out of state utah "fan"

"we beat" is the relevant part of your sentence. In utah's case it is "we lost" to the ranked team we played, and threw 6 picks in the process. Big difference in results when these two teams played ranked teams, huge difference actually. One blew the ranked team out and knocked them from the rankings, one choked up 6 interceptions and is claiming a "moral" victory.

LOL!

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:48 p.m.

"Hurrah, utefan can still beat the "well, we beat BYU" drum. Well spun. Funny thing is, BYU seems to recover from the loss, but u can't recover from the win. Nothing much matters after you win your "bowl" game apparently."

You would think you would be smart enough to figure out thats because we move on to playing some of the best teams in the country. The Y moves on to a win against middle nobody ever heard of tennesse. But hey way to recover will see how well they recover against wisconsin, notre dame and utah st.

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:51 p.m.

@Christine B. Hedgefog

"Bruinsby7, remove the red goggles and join us in reality. Have you read any of the Ute comments towards BYU currently? It certainly is no one sided affair. The difference is in the 80s when BYU gloated they actually had hardware (individual and team) to back it up. Simple conference affiliation hasn't carried you too far yet. When you're no longer the doormat amongst your new friends be sure to let us know."

Dear obsessed BYU fan, I won't have to let you know anything about the University of Utah because apparently you will still be here watching every game and commenting on every article.

FYI, I don't usually comment on BYU articles. I did comment on Austin Collie being picked up by the Patriots. My comment was complimentary wishing him luck.

Good luck against the Aggies tonight.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:52 p.m.

@2irrelevent "wins"

Actually what is comical is that you get so bothered by the comments of BYU fans. It just shows how much they matter to you. It bothers you so much that replying to BYU fans in outrage and angst are pretty much the only posts you ever make. Now that is comical.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:56 p.m.

@kiboo..."Hope you slept well last night Chrissy. I know I did."

Probaly as well as I slept on September 21st....lol

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:02 p.m.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:02 p.m.

Even on game day vs USU the "fans" are over here hating on Utah. Who's you're daddy?

• Lionute Payson, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:09 p.m.

Please, would you BYU fans please explain this to me. Last year in a rare comment I posted when the topic was schedule strength, I pointed out that Utah played several more ranked teams than BYU. OSU,, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St. Washington, and BYU were all ranked at some point and time during last year. I was quickly told that anyone with any knowledge of football would never make a claim that they played a ranked USC team and that the only ranking that counted was the final ranking. Fast forward to this year and we are now counting Texas as a ranked team, yes I know they were ranked, but now it counts. Wow, and I thought Utah fans were the ones with hypocritical comments.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:09 p.m.

@duck hunting 0-4 and loving it:

The fact that you have more than one post on this article is comical. Fret over YbU losing to the Aggies tonight, and move along. You can't beat the Utes. Deal with it.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:09 p.m.

@cougiesundevil...

Come talk to us when the cougies or devils win a BCS bowl game we have 2 already.

@tators...."On the other hand, the refs have been quite kind to Utah in a couple of their recent wins against in-state teams, too. So try not to criticize Sundevil too loudly."

The refs let the cougies back in the game against the utes a game the utes dominated with 5 horrible calls in the 4th quarter....difference is we don't make excuses or complain about it they were still good enough to overcome the bad calls and win it!

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:10 p.m.

2bcswinslastdecade..... lol ...... I'll bet not ...... lol

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:13 p.m.

Uteology
    East Salt Lake City, Utah

@Duckhunter

------------

New Flash in Tulsa...

Texas is not a top 15 team this year.
    ===

No, but they were when they came into Provo, and BYU ran for 550 yards and that game knocked them out of the standings.

Had Utah blown out UCLA,same thing. Unfortunately Utah lost.

Funny, Utah took UCLA to the wire and only lost by 7, but Utah DOMINATED BYU by 7.

Looking forward to all three local teams to have decent years, and all three win their Bowl games.

Hopefully after tonights game, we can all become a bit more civil, and hope that the country sees that we have some solid football being played here in Utah!

• UT-TXmom Alpharetta, GA
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Ah, Duckhunter, me thinks you protest too much.

• pac12ute4life Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:25 p.m.

Love how BYU fans come here. Why don't you stay on your own team's articles? You don't see Utah fans posting on BYU articles.

Utah was robbed. They were clearly the better team last night. No matter, Utah reminded the world yet again why they are a top school and a national brand. On my last trip back east I ran into quite a bit of Ute fans. Utah pride runs strong coast to coast.

Oh, and Utah is still going to the Rose Bowl this year - better buy your tickets now.

Onward and Upward!

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:30 p.m.

@ducky...If you think Texas is a top 15 team it really shows us your football knowledge. Even if they were not sure what that proves I know you were in Tulsa again but the U beat the cougies on that same field you be the so called top 15 team...LOL!

"Whatever the excuses are you and other utah "fans" want to use the fact is that they lost, they threw 6 interceptions, they couldn't score on offense and they ultimately could not stop UCLA when they needed to. Deal with it."

Not sure why you care about this whatever excuses you as a cougie "fan" want to make Utah still owns the cougies 4 in a row, 9 of 12 overall domination...deal with it ducky..LOL!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:31 p.m.

The Utes played their guts out yesterday. The defense has grown a ton in recent weeks. They left their heart on the field. This Ute team is young and inexperienced. Wilson will have ups and downs. The loss of Kenneth Scott was huge and not talked about much. Can you imagine Dres Anderson and Scott lining up on opposite ends for Wilson to throw to?

Losing to Oregon State in OT when the ball goes right through Walker's hands was bitter. The defense couldn't stop the Beavers at all that night. The offense was up and down the field and put up 45 points in regulation. Then last night the defense was spectacular while the offense and Wilson threw six picks. If both the offense and defense are effective the same night, then Utah can beat anyone. Still, the Utes are a year away. Wins and recruiting are always on the line though. Utah has to regroup and not fizzle.

The PAC 12 South title is gone but big match ups and opportunity are there each week. I would be proud if the Utes can go 7-5. A winning record and bowl game would be awesome.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:45 p.m.

@ Tators "Yes, and Texas hasn't had a Weber State in their schedule to help pad their record and stats"

True we did have weber and the cougies to pad our record and stats

@chritine hedgefog....2 last decade still more than 0 for a team that is still questing for it....LOL!

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 2:01 p.m.

@Christine B. Hedgefog

"Bruinsby7 Your comment insinuated that BYU fans were the only ones out of line. I replied "It certainly is no one sided affair." You didn't respond to that comment. How convenient. Those red goggles do that to some folks."

Actually I did comment. I clearly stated that I commented on the Austin Collie article with a positive comment. I'm not obsessed with BYU so I don't usually read their articles and with few exceptions, never comment on their articles. BTW, on my BYU article comment yesterday, I commented negatively toward Chris B for his obsession with BYU in addition to wishing Austin well with the New England Patriots.

I'm sure there are obnoxious Utah fans, I just don't see the point of going to BYU articles and upset the true BYU fans. What's your point of coming to Utah articles and only post negative comments toward the Utes? Your name alone is disrespectful toward two obnoxious Utah fans.

Fight fire with fire or turn the other cheek? You do realize your comments represent Brigham Young University to some readers, right?

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2013 2:01 p.m.

Spokane Ute,

Those exact same refs gave you the ending of the BYU game. I'm not debating that the Wisconsin game was poorly handled. ASU might have still lost, but the refs never let the Wisconsin kicker shank his kick (as he had already done in some games). But when I look in the win/loss column, I see a W against them. When I look in your PAC-12 Win/loss column, I see 0-2. My credibility isn't gone, the PAC-12 refs credibility is gone. Breaks happen for everyone...except the Utes in PAC-12 play. I'm not a joke, the joke is Utah and their fans thinking they belong in the PAC-12. Keep wishing. Maybe someday you'll garner a win against a winning PAC 12 program.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2013 2:04 p.m.

Samurai Jake

I'm not a fair weather fan. I cheer for BYU and refuse to treat them like you Ute fans do. They belong with the big boys and I hope they get their break too. No blemish losing to a team who is only able to get pumped for one game a year and then tank the rest. Considering Utah's 4-0 record over the last four years, and then considering their regular season record...I'd have to say even a blind squirrel finds a nut, even if it's in the same location every year.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2013 2:07 p.m.

@ 2BCSWINS

LOL 2 BCS wins. Any this decade? Since 2011? Who cares what your team did last decade. Your team has been subpar with only finding quality wins against teams who were let down with what bowl game they were going to. That's only if you went bowling, which last year you didn't and this year you won't. Once again, Utah fans not showing proper respect for their older and better PAC-12 brothers. You guys are a joke.

• Horrible Stumper Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 2:33 p.m.

@Christine B. Hedgefog
    Fogger, come on, the clear indicator that Utah is improving where BYU is not is your 0-4 record against them the last 4 games. How many times has that happened previously. The Y program is dying and the Utes are gonna be thriving.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 2:40 p.m.

@ PAC12Ute4Life:

Your statement about Ute fans not commenting on BYU articles is the silliest and most untrue statement I've ever read on these comment boards... and I've read a lot. On at least half of BYU articles, Ute fans comment more than BYU fans do. Just a few days ago, Chris B had 4 of the first 9 comments on a BYU article... quite typical. Sorry, but you lost all credibility when you said that totally bogus statement.

@ 2BCSWINS:

You are starting to sound a lot like another fellow troll... Chris B..
    Newsflash... The only team in this state that Utah owns is Weber State. In 3 of the last 4 games with BYU, it went down to the last play of the game in real dogfights and with BYU "owning" the offensive statistics. BYU won 3 of the previous 4 games. As such, neither team owns the other. It's a rivalry that continues to swing back and forth every few years. And if you're too young to know that, then you should be commenting about something else. Always coming back to that BYU thing is so old and worn out that it now sounds pathic.

• wardu Fallon, NV
    Oct. 4, 2013 2:40 p.m.

2BCSWINS,
    Glad I could strike a nerve, come back at the end of the season, when the dust settles and see how both teams fare for all the games after the rivalry game. Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Boise St., are right up there with some of the PAC 10.2 teams. BYU will have a bowl eligible season, u won't. Can't recover from the win.

• UtesBy5 Syracuse, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 3:06 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil

Cougar vs. Sun Devils, who do you cheer for? I'm betting the Cougars.

I was at the game last year when ASU totally stomped the Utes. With the exception of your crazy student section, your fans treated Utah fans with respect. The Utah fans treated the ASU fans with respect as well.

I'm thinking you are hiding behind ASU but your hatred is coming from your love for BYU, right?

The Utes haven't proved anything yet in the PAC-12, just like ASU didn't prove anything in the PAC-10 for their first few years in football and still haven't in basketball. Utah is an extremely humble PAC-12 member to date.

To answer your question, no, Utah hasn't played in a BCS game in either of the two post seasons of this decade, nor has ASU. Yes we did play in and won two last decade including a Fiesta Bowl win in your stadium.

I for one have a lot of respect for the ASU football program as well as the BYU program. I think your should show a little more respect and class when posting on a Utah vs. UCLA article.

Go Utes!

• islandboy Honolulu, HI
    Oct. 4, 2013 3:20 p.m.

It was a good game. Tough loss for the Utes. Fight on! Ooops wrong school.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 3:34 p.m.

@ Lionute:

You asked, so I'll explain. Only 1 BYU fan (out of thousands) replied to your statement last year. It was strictly his (or her's) opinion and nothing else. That person wasn't speaking for the general fan base. As such, please try to keep it in context and not get too excited.

And yes, you are right about your last statement... Utah fans USUALLY are the ones with the hypocritcal statements. Good observation.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 3:43 p.m.

@ UtesBy5:

I like your statement about Utah being an extremely humble PAC-12 conference member. Now if you could only convince some of your more fellow radical Ute fan commenters about that, it would be much appreciated. More things (on both sides of the isle) need to be in better context.

I give you credit for being one of the more realistic and pleasant Ute fans on these boards. Keep up the good example for fans of all concerned schools.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Oct. 4, 2013 4:10 p.m.

@ Chris B - Salt Lake City, UT - "Win tonight = Win Pac 12 South

I'm calling it now:

Utah 27
    UCLA 24

Utah 1 turnover
    UCLA 3 turnovers

Mark it Down"

Chris, I marked it down.

It didn't happen.

I don't hate Utah football. Their arrogant fans who give BYU no respect and think that Utah is the NCAA's best team? (just ask them).....eh, not so much.

I mean, I went to the UofU my freshman year. As a former Ute and someone who has called the state of Utah 'home' for over 30 years, I'd LOVE to cheer for Utah (in every game but one) but their arrogant fans make it hard to do that. Chris B and others like would rather die than admit that the Y is a solid team. 4 wins in a row? Yep, but most of them came down to the wire.

Sorry, but I'm glad the U got beat.

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Oct. 4, 2013 5:19 p.m.

CougarSunDevil,

I enjoyed ASU's last major bowl win in '86. We're almost up on that 30 year reunion in Tempe aren't we?

• BigCougar Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 5:59 p.m.

wow, is Chris B hurting. He's now heralding morale victories as some kind of an accomplishment. That's an acknowledgement by him that he's accepted Utah is the doormat of the Pac12 and fighting with their new rival Colorado and Wazzu for scraps.

Well, this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. It's become a tradition now up on the hill. Go all out and win a big emotional game with big brother and then immediately go into the Post BYU Bowl swoon.

It was apparent that UCLA took it easy to conserve energy. Despite going from sea level to mile high and having to deal with a snow storm, the Bruins weathered the weather and altitude and got a comfortable win on the road.

Lets see now, Stanford is next....hmmm that will be ugly. When do you play Colorado? Seems a long way off. Hope you can weather the storm.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2013 6:33 p.m.

In regards to ASU's lack of post season play...

1. I'm not bragging about ASU's Rose Bowl win
    2. We've been in a power conference since well before the BCS era and played BCS schedules, unlike Utah when they went.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2013 6:52 p.m.

Sparkley Briefs

I'm going to enjoy never watching Utah go to another major bowl because now they have to play real teams instead of who they played in 2008 to get to the Sugar.

Michigan (3-9) No Bowl
    UNLV (5-7) No Bowl
    Utah State (3-9) No Bowl
    Air Force (8-5) Lost Bowl game against Houston
    Weber State (FCS)
    Oregon State (9-4) beat Pitt in Bowl Game
    Wyoming (4-8) No Bowl
    Colorado St (7-6) Beat Fresno State in Bowl Game
    New Mexico (4-8) No Bowl
    TCU (11-2) Beat Boise State in Bowl Game
    San Diego St. (2-10) No bowl
    BYU (10-3) Lost to Arizona in Bowl Game.

So, real gauntlet to run to get to that BCS game. AS you know know, it's a little different in the PAC-12.

• Pops NORTH SALT LAKE, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 7:30 p.m.

I'm not sure UCLA isn't highly overrated, the same way Texas was. Which teams has UCLA defeated? Nevada, Nebraska, New Mexico State, and Utah. Now the Nebraska win might be something, but who has Nebraska knocked off? Wyoming, Southern Miss (and that seems not to be an abbreviation), and South Dakota State. Meh. They haven't been tested, either.

I think the next two games might actually tell us something about how Utah will fare this year in the PAC12 - UCLA game, not so much. I'd be nervous if I were a Ute.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:17 p.m.

the U is close but can't seem to break through yet in the Pac12. Close to beating Oregon St and UCLA but close doesn't count.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:17 p.m.

it takes a utah loss to the #11 team in the country to bring duck and worf out of hiding.

duck, welcome back from your annual trip to tulsa. i guess you haven't heard texas never was #15 quality

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:34 p.m.

CougarSunDevil
    Phoenix, AZ

Sparkley Briefs

--------------

#7 TCU, #18 Oregon State, #25 BYU... before the game.

after the game... #6 Bama.

When was the last time ASU beat 4 ranked teams in the top 25 in one season?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:39 p.m.

@u90

I've been around but keep pretending otherwise if it helps assuage your pain. That said Texas is loaded with all the 4 and 5 star recruits utah "fans" like yourself claim make a team great. They got pummeled by a team with few of those recruits. Meanwhile utah coughed up 6 picks and lost at home, again, and is winless in their conference, again, and won't be winning any time soon. While I really don't have any dislike for utah or its players I really do enjoy seeing its "fans", people like yourself, have to suffer through another loss. Although in all fairness you should be accustomed to it by now as this is how it starts for utah every year in the pac12.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:40 p.m.

@uteology

When is the last time utah beat a conference foe with a winning record?

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:22 p.m.

CougSunnyD,

So it's blah blah Utes this and that when the team has been in the PAC for a couple years, mostly with a backup QB, while ASU has been in the conference for 30+ years with a few great years and a basketful of mediocrity. We'll get there a few times here and there too. Just cut the crap about how superior your teams are because in reality, we're pretty much all in the same boat competing with the established big boys.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:50 p.m.

@uteology

BYU and TCU had just as weak schedules, so you can throw those two teams out. So you beat Oregon state and 'Bama who didn't care because they weren't in the title game. So you had to ramp up for two games. As you and the other uses like to point out, PAC 12 play is a lot harder. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometime. Utah just got lucky in 08 that six of the teams they played were in a down year.utah is overrated, plain and simple.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 5, 2013 12:21 p.m.

@cougs n sundevil

Maybe the refs can give you the game when you play Utah, just like when you played Wisconsin. What a pathetic fan base. They all run and hide when Utah beats their team then slowly creep out after
    Utah loses to top ranked teams. Utah owns BYU and I love it!

• CBAX Provo, UT
    Oct. 5, 2013 2:16 p.m.

Hey everyone,

Let's stop bashing on the utes. They played a great game against a really quality team. They have a tough schedule ahead of them.

Thanks to those contributing meaningfully.

Go utes!
    Go Cougars!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 6, 2013 12:25 a.m.

@CougarSunDevil

@uteology

--------------

The tired old "Bama wasn't motivated" excuse. Good one!

In 2008 Utah's SOS was #56... we finished 13-0.
    In 2012 ASU's SOS was #52... you finished 8-5.

I guess with such a weak schedule in 2012 ASU wasn't motivated to Quest for Perfection.

Or could it be that they lack talent?

Current NFL rosters:
    19 Utah players
    14 ASU players

Try spinning that!

Overrated? Utah's been in the league 3 years, you've been there since the 70s. What has ASU done?

• U West of I15, UT
    Oct. 6, 2013 8:38 a.m.

@cougiesundevil...."LOL 2 BCS wins. Any this decade? Since 2011? Who cares what your team did last decade."

Uh ok you're right we haven't won one in the last two years. I would still say one 5 years ago and one 9 years ago is better than 0 for the cougies and 0 for the sundevils.

"Im not bragging about ASU's Rose Bowl win

"You need to compare Apples to Apples and quit spinning things to make yourself look good."

Good excuse what's your excuse for the cougies??

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Oct. 6, 2013 8:46 a.m.

@ducky..."While I really don't have any dislike for utah or its players I really do enjoy seeing its "fans", people like yourself, have to suffer through another loss. Although in all fairness you should be accustomed to it by now as this is how it starts for utah every year in the pac12."

I really do enjoy seeing "ducky" and Y "fans" have to suffer through another loss to Utah. Although in all fairness you should be accustomed to it by now as this is hows been pretty much for 2 straight decades and overall in a landslide.....LOL!

At cougiesundevil.....Again I ask what's the cougies excuse for no BCS bowl game? Also please tell us the last time ASU beat a team of that bama teams caliber? By the way nice showing last night way to represent the PAC12 well against Notre Dame.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Oct. 6, 2013 6:39 p.m.

Yes, you could say they came up short... Shorter than projections... They cover the spread and that made my friends alot of money this week... Next week they're betting the house that the utes again won't cover the spread...

My projections:

Stanfor 49 utah 17 (32 points... ouch... lol)

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Oct. 6, 2013 10:33 p.m.

Christine B. Hedgefog
    Salt Lake City, UT

More like a LOT over their heads.

________

Why is BYU afraid to play Colorado. I know, BYU is 3-8-1 all time against them.

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID

Oregon State (9-4) beat Pitt in Bowl Game
    Wyoming (4-8) No Bowl
    Colorado St (7-6) Beat Fresno State in Bowl Game
    New Mexico (4-8) No Bowl
    TCU (11-2) Beat Boise State in Bowl Game
    San Diego St. (2-10) No bowl
    BYU (10-3) Lost to Arizona in Bowl Game.

_______

Do you really wan to go down this road? Look up BYUs 84' schedule in the mighty WAC.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Oct. 7, 2013 12:47 a.m.

@wacpaddle

Be happy to review the BYU 84' Schedule... It started out against the #3 team in the country on their field (Pitt who was ranked just behind Auburn and Nebraska)... It ended against the Team who was runner up to the National Champion the following year (Michigan), and it was significant enough that the Cougs were voted National Champs in all polls... (along the way BYU also clobered a Big 12 Team (Baylor).

As for match up comparisons... let's talk about all the teams in the big bad PAC... In the past 40 years (all the further I wanted to research) BYU is 2-2 with WSU; 4-3 with OSU; 0-2 with USC; 3-7 with UCLA; 4-3 UW; 3-1 UO; 4-4 UA; 4-6 ASU; 2-1 Cal; 0-2 Stanford; 26-16 utah; and 3-0 Colorado....

Utah is 3-3 with WSU; 3-3 OSU; 1-3 USC; 2-5 UCLA; 0-3 UW; 4-6 UO; 4-9 UA; 1-11 ASU; 3-2 Cal; 2-1 Stanford, and 1-1 Colorado... Against the PAC South the utes are a whopping 9-29 over the past 4 decades... OUCH!

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Oct. 7, 2013 1:05 a.m.

I chuckle at the whole concept of continually waving the tired motto of 2 BCS Victories... Or the big bad PAC Membership Insignia... But then that's all the ute fans have isn't it??? I guess they really do need to wear it proudly don't they?... I'm guessing that in 20 more years they will still be using them...

I do have to ask though, wouldn't it look so much better if the motto or ID read something like "84NationalChamps"... That would seem to be so much more impressive, but then it wouldn't be the truth would it? That's okay though, their are plenty of other comments on here that really aren't truthful so go ahead, use it...

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Oct. 7, 2013 1:11 a.m.

@2bcswins

This gets old but I have to post a correction to your inaccurate post...

The past 2 decades the utes are 8-3 the last 11 years and 5-5 against the Cougs the previous 10 years for a combined 2 decade count of 13-8 (a winning percentage of 61.9%)... With full season win-loss record comparisons against the Cougs the utes are 6-5 the past 11 years and 3-7 against Cougs the 10 years before that...( all in the same conference except for the past 3 years and thus with similar schedules)...

The previous two decades however, show the utes are 2-18 against the Cougs (a winning percentage of 10%)... The overall full season records for the previous 2 decades show that the utes had better records only 2 of the 20 years...

All in all, hardly chest beating material for the utes... sorry.

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 8:01 a.m.

@Poyman...."I chuckle at the whole concept of continually waving the tired motto of 2 BCS Victories"

Off course you chuckle all the cougies can do is quest for the perfection the utes have accomplished twice....LOL!! You know you still where your quest T-shirt

Give us a call poyman the next time the cougies can actually beat the utes on the field where it matters.

• jarka-rus Layton, Utah
    Oct. 7, 2013 9:38 a.m.

2BCSWINS
    Where's Utah's National Championship trophy?

• WACPaddingOurSchedule pocatello, ID
    Oct. 7, 2013 10:23 a.m.

poyman
    Lincoln City, OR
    @wacpaddle

________

Pitt ended the season 3-7-1, nowhere to be found in the polls. Baylor finished 5-6. Michigan was 6-6 when BYU played them. Runner up the following year has nothing to do with 84'
    Please stop spinning the fraud known as the 84" national title.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Oct. 8, 2013 2:30 p.m.

The Utes have a legit QB. His receivers did not help him and probably accounted for 2/3rd's of the INT's in the game. But, if they can fix some of that they'll win a big game or two down the road.