Family

Mormon man dubbed 'husband of the year' shares story of coming out of anesthesia, viral video

Comments

• JimInSLC Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:43 a.m.

I can understand why the video went viral and the attention that this couple is getting. But maybe "Typical man of the year" is a more appropriate title to award.

Jason coming back into consciousness responds to a beautiful woman sitting next to him. He did not know that it was his wife. Next time he comes out of anesthesia have a beautiful nurse sitting beside the bed and film his reaction.

This video is more a testament of the physical beauty of the woman he awakes to, and the attraction that he has for the woman. But obviously he was attracted to the woman because of her beauty, and not because she was his wife.

The kind of husband every woman wants? Yes, one that continues to desire her and expresses that desire long after the vows have ended. A Behavior that many men forget after they say "I Do".

The man that qualifies for "Husband of the year" is the one that having come back to consciousness, sees the woman he married, 30 years older, 40 pounds heavier, showing the physical wear from raising children, and smiles, thinking himself the luckiest man in the world to have her.

• Mokie Podunk, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:17 a.m.

My only question is why does the title have to state 'Mormon Man'? Does him being Mormon really have anything to do with this? Couldn't it have just said Orem Man, or Utah Man? Why this fascination with having to include his religion? Just this simple Mormon Man's opinion.

• DMJ Newbury Park, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:32 a.m.

Probably more staged and contrived than spontaneous. Pretty funny, nonetheless.

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:39 a.m.

My wife showed me this video, she thought it was pretty cool. I thought it was lame and cheesy. If this guy qualifies for "Husband of the Year" with that performance, it reflects a sad reality of where society is today.

• GeoMan SALEM, OR
    Oct. 4, 2013 11:53 a.m.

Mokie,
    The Deseret News has clearly defined itself as a Mormon Newspaper (distinct from being the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' Newspaper). For the paper's main audience, the fact the man is part of that demographic group is more important than where his house is. I suspect that the paper from where he grew up in California had a headline that established the local connection because that would be most important thing for their audience. Context is a very important part of information.

• sid 6.7 Holladay, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:41 p.m.

Demographic my big toe!

Geoman you are right, this is a Mormon News Paper and they can print any thing they choose but they promote this kind of stuff to the point of nausea. Would he have won the award had he not been Mormon? Who cares about his Religious affiliation? Would you have enjoyed the story any less if you found out he was a Jehovah's Witness?

How about this for a headline, "Utah Man Wins Husband Of The Year Award"? Or better yet how about "Jason Mortonson Wins Husband Of They Year!"? In other words, he did not win the award because he was a Mormon. He won because his brain was chemically altered and the person who greeted him as he woke just so happened to be his wife and at the time just so happened to be, in his mind, good looking.

My question is, would this "feel good" story have even been run had Mr. Mortonson not been Mormon?

• Hutterite American Fork, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:11 p.m.

They must have had to re mormonise him to give him the award, because when he regained consciousness he seemed to respond much more as a genuine man without the filter in place.

• ElJefeOcho STAFFORD, VA
    Oct. 4, 2013 1:38 p.m.

For what it's worth... I live in Virginia and clicked on the story because of the Mormon connection because I like to see what other members of my faith are up to. I also regularly check out stories from the small Oregon town I grew up in because I'm interested in what people back home are up to... It's human nature to try to connect with those you share something in common with.

• Blue AZ Cougar Chandler, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2013 2:37 p.m.

Oh come on, it's a funny video. You people need to lighten up a little.

• Howard S. Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 2:38 p.m.

Nice story... but this seems fake, fake, fake.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Oct. 4, 2013 3:05 p.m.

I wouldn't be so quick to recognize this guy as a standout Mormon OR husband. The guy had a huge potty mouth (maybe the drugs but just sayin') and he was hitting on his wife because she is beautiful. So the anesthesia helped us see how this guy really thinks and talks.

He sounded like a drunk hitting on a female bartender and less like Mr. Mormon. Stupid story...

• Mack2828 Ft Thomas, KY
    Oct. 4, 2013 3:33 p.m.

Makes me feel sad to see that this is where we are at as a society. Made national news mumbling compliments while his wife videotaped it on her iphone? Lord help us, we are slouching towards Gomorrah at an ever accelerating speed...

• Mrs TAP Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 4:40 p.m.

He was shocked at 400,000 views? It's now on its way to 13 million!

• Big_Bird West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 4:43 p.m.

I love this video, it is SO sweet!! If only everyone felt this way about their spouse.

Guys if you think this video is lame, maybe you should step it up. When was the last time you made your wife swoon?

• Blue AZ Cougar Chandler, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2013 4:45 p.m.

"When describing his now-viral video, Jason Mortensen [...] said there was more footage his wife captured after the surgery in which he talked about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon [...]; he said there is a whole portion of the video no one has seen."

Of course he doesn't get any credit for that, right? Couldn't possibly be a good person since he let a curse word slip out of his mouth while coming out of general anesthesia / surgery, right? No sir, certainly no way he could be a good husband -- hope he never dreams of becoming a father, because fathers and husbands NEVER make mistakes.

The level of judgment in some of these comments is astounding. What was it Christ said about casting the first stone?

• Daniel Leifker San Francisco, CA
    Oct. 4, 2013 6:08 p.m.

Brought back pleasant memories of my own surgery. I awoke from anesthesia and heard my doctor say, "You're really going to like your new nose." If he hadn't been a man, I would have tried to kiss him. (My old broken nose was pretty awful.)

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    Oct. 4, 2013 6:16 p.m.

Wow, there sure are a lot of party poopers posting here!

As far as his "potty mouth," that actually happens to people who do not normally swear when they are under anesthesia or loopy from being hit in the head.

Beside party poopers, there sure seem to be plenty of people, members and non-members of the church, that are quick to judge, aren't there?

• moniker lewinsky Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 8:35 p.m.

JimInSLC:
    I wish I could like your comment 5 more times (at least).
    Extra Extra! Beautiful Woman Receives Attention From Man.
    Yawn.

• Pragmatic Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 9:22 p.m.

This really wasn't anything spectacular, clever, funny or anything else. Clever, silly, and stupid things like this are said all the time when people are drinking and hanging out with each other. Don't understand the attention.

• ImABeliever Provo, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:16 p.m.

If swearing under anesthesia is a prerequisite to being dubbed,'husband of the year'.
    Personally, I would rather not win it and the judges should be berated.

• Admiring Gentile Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 6, 2013 9:41 a.m.

Really great story.

So I hate to wield the "red pen," but I was an English major and I can never stop myself.

When Jason awoke, he started *complimenting* his wife, not "complementing" her. The former word means to give praise, and the latter word means something that completes something or makes it better.

Yes, obviously Jason and Candace do complement each other--but what he said to her was a compliment, not a complement (which is wordless).

• raybies Layton, UT
    Oct. 7, 2013 2:05 p.m.

I think a lot of husbands, after six years of marriage don't see their wives with such unabashed attraction. I think that's why people gravitate to it--it reminds us of those heady days when all we wanted was to spend a few more moments with that special someone. I think this is a sweet reminder that with a little brain trauma (in this case, chemically induced) we might all be like young lovers again. :D

• Max Charlotte, NC
    Oct. 7, 2013 4:24 p.m.

I saw it and I thought it was very cute, I really did. But my goodness, husband of the year! This has gone far beyond what it deserves. I would think what you do and say when you are completely sober would matter far more.

• suechology Mission Viejo, CA
    Oct. 7, 2013 4:34 p.m.

Hey Stafford Va

I'm from a small town in Oregon too. Hebo - ever heard of it. Where u from?

• MirandaLola SUNNYVALE, CA
    Oct. 11, 2013 11:51 a.m.

The sweet thing about how attracted he is to his wife is that he hasn't gotten bored or tired of her. He has spent the last 6 years loving her face and it goes deep, beyond his conscious thought. That is why the video went viral and people call him husband of the year.