Commentary: Is Utah State BYU's new main rival?

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 9:10 a.m.

Utah state and byu are more similar than Utah and either of those schools.

Utah's record against each of them the last decade shows we are a step above them

Utah can't be a true rival as no power conference team is rivals with non power conference teams other than Notre DAme. And byu is no Notre Dame

USC and UCLA don't consider San Diego State a rival, even if San Diego views it that way

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 9:13 a.m.

Utah state and byu will continue to fight for the recruiting leftovers most of the time in Utah, in addition to their fight on the field for the second best team in the state each year.

Guess who won more of the head to head to head recruiting battles the last 4 years between the 3 schools.

Utah
    Utah
    Utah
    Utah

Most recruits mentioned the Pac 12 being a big reason for picking Utah over byu and Utah state. Utah will always have that Pac 12 membership in the future, byu and usu will not.

That is why Utah state and byu are more similar now.

• Mars_ Logan, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 9:13 a.m.

I don't think BYU fans consider us as a rival at all. At least, it's been explained to me several times by BYU fans I know and interact with that such is the case. That's ok, they're allowed to think that. I know that over the last 25 years we've only won twice, and you need to win more to be considered a rival. Hopefully with the start of the new era at USU, and the home and home, this will change going forward. Frankly I don't really care if BYU is or isn't a "rival," though, I just want to win.

I'm not sure we have a penultimate rival. We had one in New Mexico State, but they're no longer conference mates and it's a pain in the tuckus to get out to Las Cruces now that USU's airline of choice (I can't remember which it is) no longer flies into El Paso directly.

These things grow organically, they're not made. And given conference realignment mania, I'm wondering what the future of regional rivalries will be. Sad.

• Trevvor Sandy, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 9:17 a.m.

I graduated from BYU recently, attended most of the football games, and never once thought of Utah State as a rival. Can't say I do now either. And I don't remember anyone else feeling much different than I do. I'm glad they're an improving program that has had success in recent years. I hope Wells continues to do great things in Logan. But I don't think anyone in Provo will ever see Utah State as a rival.

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 9:20 a.m.

I have long been saying this.

They are both non-power conference teams
    Neither has proven they can consistently beat Utah in recent years
    Neither has ever sniffed a BCS Bowl
    Neither will ever receive a power conference invite
    Neither has a top 5 finish in recent years
    Neither has two top 5 finishes in recent years
    Neither has beaten an SEC powerhouse in a bowl game in recent years

I think it will be a great fight for second place in Utah each year as they play.

• agarrett PROVO, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 9:25 a.m.

No. You can't ever "outgrow" a rival. If you could, then it never was a real rivalry. Rivalries go in cycles, just like USC/UCLA or Ohio St/Michigan. BYU will be back on top in football eventually. Then the U will be back on top after that. The fact that Chris B is the first one to even comment on this article with his ranting and raving is a testament to the Holy War's intensity and longevity.

• Sanpete in Utah Fairview, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 9:32 a.m.

In a word, no.

In a few more words, it's not even close. There's a lot more to a rivalry than close scores (which also exist between BYU and Utah). The roots of the BYU-Utah rivalry are deeper and still every bit as strong as before. Even the denial of the rivalry by fans on both sides reveals that very plainly.

That said, there's a fine rivalry of long standing between BYU and Utah State as well. Hope it keeps developing as it has in the last few years.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 1, 2013 9:41 a.m.

Thanks ChrisB and 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP (Chris B again) for posting on an article for BYU and Utah State. You've once again validated that BYU and Utah State are as relevant as ever before because if they weren't (like you say all the time) you wouldn't waste your time, just like I don't waste my time posting on a Ute story. You can own the State of Utah (not saying much), but you can't own anything else in the PAC-12. Enjoy your 8 game losing streak. I will laugh when my Sun Devils come own you for the third time in a row. You might, MIGHT beat USC in a very down year. But it will be a close game. My money is on USC though.

• Robroy Murray, utah
    Oct. 1, 2013 10:30 a.m.

CB,, how is it with all of your recruiting prowess and pac12 affiliation that you are still a perennial loser in your conference? Congratulations, you now have no rivals in the state of Utah, the pac12, or anywhere else in the country. Why? No one care about u.

• Vladhagen Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 10:34 a.m.

I think that USU will always have a back seat to the U. As a BYU fan, I cheer for USU pretty much every week. When USU plays BYU, I cheer for BYU. But, I would much rather see USU win than that other team.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 10:38 a.m.

Robroy,

"CB,, how is it with all of your recruiting prowess and pac12 affiliation that you are still a perennial loser in your conference"

Because we're not playing byu every week.

We're playing teams that have even better recruiting than we do.

Did you really not understand such a simple concept?

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 10:39 a.m.

As the cougars continue to decline their rival will be Idaho State. Go Bengals.

USU's rival will be BSU as the jockey for dominance in the MWC. Go Aggies.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 10:53 a.m.

"No one care about u."???...Go to the comment sections under recent U articles.

• Trevvor Sandy, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 11:03 a.m.

ekute, don't flatter yourself. I just went and looked at the comments on both the byu and Utah articles. There are more ute "fans" commenting on byu articles than there byu fans on ute articles. In fact, there are more ute "fans" commenting on byu articles than there are ute "fans" on ute articles. And its not even close. BYU and Utah fans both pay more attention to byu than anyone else.

• dbrbmw Orem, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 11:03 a.m.

Yes and without the hate. Very refreshing and very cool.

• dbrbmw Orem, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 11:06 a.m.

The U's rival is the cellar of the PAC 12.

• Will T. Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 11:06 a.m.

In the past 12 years, Utah is 18-4 vs. Utah St and BYU.

Pretty clear who owns this state.

• TamaBYU Provo, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 11:06 a.m.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Oct. 1, 2013 11:25 a.m.

certain posters are going on about "recent years" and "power conference prowess" all while being doormats in the "RECENT" years.

don't they call that little man syndrome?

ute seniors 1-1 v USU seniors, and are LUCKY to be 1-1.

every power conference has bottom feeders that can't stand on their own merit so they try to stand on conference big brothers.

being at both the Coliseum and Rose Bowl two weeks ago and being able to talk face to face with both fan bases, there was little relevance to them from any team in Utah and when I brought up the pac12 utes specifically, they giggled.

AQ means conference teams can automatically qualify for a bcs bowl, but when you put a dress on a pig, it is still a pig.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Oct. 1, 2013 11:30 a.m.

This is obviously a slow news cycle.

Chris B., while I'd be fine with the BYU-Utah rivalry disappearing, your comments seem to indicate that it will live on.

You picked the win two weeks ago, props. But, that game is over and there are no more games for a while. You should focus on your new conference.

BYU was a 7 point favorite to Utah two weeks ago. BYU is a 7 point under dog to Utah St.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 11:52 a.m.

It would be nice if these 2 schools become the new in-state rivalry for several reasons:

1) They are the only 2 in-state schools to have qualified for and played in post-season bowl games since 2011.

2) They are the only 2 main in-state schools to finish the most recent season with winning records.

3) They have both finished recent years ranked higher nationally than the other bigger in-state school.

4) USU doesn't have negative fans who are totally obsessed with all things BYU.

5) Their fans who post on-line regularly, by and large, have much more class than those of the other bigger in-state school.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Oct. 1, 2013 12:03 p.m.

Peavler says "Yes, BYU's most-hated rival is and always will be Utah." I don't agree. Max hates them for the way the Ute fans treated his family. But any "hate" most BYU fans I have gone to school with and known for 30+ years feel/express is a result of how Uteville types act. If they would just go away and be content in their new reality, most of us could not be happier. But they can't even seem to do that.

Living deep in PAC territory, the clear impression I get is that with the exception of Washington State fans, no one has really even noticed Utah is there.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 12:07 p.m.

And one more thing, Chris B...

Colorado is literally the only school in the PAC12 who who might even remotely consider U as a potential rival. LOL.

• evansrichdm west jordan , UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 12:13 p.m.

I like the USU vs BYU it does not seem to be filled with as much hate has the Utah vs BYU. I always cheer for USU until they play BYU. There is a good amount of respect I beleive on both sides when it come to USU and BYU. I bleed blue, but I msut say that USU has the best QB in the state.

GO BYU you will have you hands full this Friday.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 12:18 p.m.

And as the Utes continue Onward And Upward the "fans" will continue to hate us even more. lol.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 12:26 p.m.

I doubt the Aggies want to be rivals after watching byu's "fan" and player's behavior towards Utah.

• Ifel Of'a-sofa Alpine, Utah
    Oct. 1, 2013 12:31 p.m.

ekute... onward and upward? really? I am glad we are not on that trend then... LOL

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 12:37 p.m.

@ ekute:

We don't hate or envy U guys at all. Most of us actually think you're quite hilarious with so many of your U posts on all things BYU and USU... even articles that have absolutely nothing to do with U... such as this one. Your continued obsession, even after the in-state games are done for the season, is something we marvel at... in a sad sort of way.

You are right about one thing, though... Utah has no where else to go in their conference except upward... after being a cellar dweller contender since joining the league and never once beating a conference team with a winning record. We obviously don't hate you for that. In fact, it actually makes us smile, especially after all the arrogance certain U fans continue showing online.

• dbrbmw Orem, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 12:37 p.m.

Go to any home U game. Alll the fans there di is talk about BYU non stop. This is the truth. This makes BYU much more relevant than the U as a lst place PAC 12 team.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 12:39 p.m.

How can USU be BYU's rival when we all know that BYU's main rival is Chris B?

• CornAggie Lincoln, NE
    Oct. 1, 2013 12:41 p.m.

I always find it a bit amusing that BYU fans don’t consider USU a rival…I mean we’ve only played each other for nearly 100 years. I am a USU alum and grew up in Cache Valley and would love for my Aggies to beat BYU this Friday night but I also understand a little bit why BYU fans are so neutral towards Utah State as we just haven’t beat them consistently over the past 20 years. However, I see and feel that this has been changing with the past 3 games between the schools. 2010 in Logan we win handily, 2011 in Provo BYU gets last second touchdown to win, 2012 defensive battle that BYU wins on a lapse in concentration by the Aggies before halftime.

Utah State is entering a new era of football excellence and both Utah and BYU should not get passive or overlook the Aggies or they will regret it.

Aggies win Friday night 34-21…Go Big Blue! (the real blue)

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 12:42 p.m.

ekute

Layton, UT

===

Just curious, when you write "lol", do you really "laugh out loud"?

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 12:55 p.m.

I laugh out load quite often. What's the point of you're question?

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 1:02 p.m.

@ CornAggie:

Don't let a few BYU fans fool you. Many of us BYU fans relish our rivalry with USU more than the other rivalry we have. The games are almost always close and competitive. And like you said, they have been playing each other for about a century. I respect the Aggies a lot, and always pull for them... except for when they play BYU.
    I graduated from BYU, but sent both of my boys to USU after obtaining academic scholarships. It really is a great school.

One other thing I like about USU... their online fans are by and large much more classy than the online fans of the other school BYU has a rivalry with.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Oct. 1, 2013 1:05 p.m.

I have tremendous respect for Utah State because of their dealings with BYU when we first embarked on independence. I respect the progress USU has made in their football program recently, as well as the strength they have developed over the years in basketball.

If it is possible to respect your rival, then YES, I hope to be rivals with Utah State for years to come. I am thrilled that BYU has respected the USU football team with a 1-1 arrangement, and if it wasn't for the October conference tradition, I would love to see this game take the traditional Rivalry weekend position, and the team on the hill can rejoice in playing Colorado forever more.

BYU fans may not have the heightened awareness that normally comes with a rivalry, but I guarantee you that the players are approaching this game like you would approach a coiled rattlesnake - with tremendous caution and respect for the risk they are facing Friday.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Oct. 1, 2013 1:05 p.m.

A BYU/USU rivalry wasn't even a possibility until recently because USU was one of the worst programs in college football. That is no longer true and if they keep winning I see a great rivalry blooming. USU fans are pretty classy and if their basketball fans are any indication, there is the potential for them to have real fans (i.e. 12th man on the field, sold out games). If USU's success go the way of Anderson and Co. and they revert back to a low-level MWC team I see Boise State emerging instead as a rival for the Cougs.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 1:09 p.m.

Yes, absolutely...USU is byu's main rival. Who else does byu have? No one.

The bigger question is whether USU considers byu to be their rival. I would say the answer is a resounding, NO!

USU has their own rivals and definitely in the driver's seat for whether they hold a high enough regard for byu to consider them a rival. We all know that the days of byu's 2 for 1 deals are long gone.

Go Aggies!

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 1:09 p.m.

dbrbmw
    Orem, UT

----------

Ha ha ha ha!

What a laugh.

Made up and weak.

STILL mad that Utah got the Pac 12 invite I see.

LOL

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Oct. 1, 2013 1:09 p.m.

It's always rich when Ute trolls throw the "bad behavior" card against BYU fans. Never seen it, in decades of attending BYU home games, and plenty of road games (admittedly never to RES. Will never step foot in that stadium after what's happened to people I care about there).

Some BYU fans hate Utah for how their fans, and sometimes their players and coaches act. But it sure seems like a good percentage of Ute fans hate BYU for what it is, and hate on BYU fans for who they are. And "good" Ute fans who allow that stuff to happen in their name or try to justify that behavior are either sympathizers . . . or cowards.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 1:10 p.m.

sofa,

Just so you know, I've been an Aggie admirer as long as I've been a Ute fan. I remember the Hipple and Olsen years. Go Aggies.

• Veritas Aequitas Fruit Heights, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 1:21 p.m.

ekute

Layton, UT

I laugh out load quite often. What's the point of you're question?
    ===

I was just curious...

Did you "laugh out loud" when you wrote that?

• LoveTheKittens The Middle Of, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 1:30 p.m.

Back in the day when I was an Aggie, ah Tequila Days, the cougs were the enemy. Even now the thought of them makes me thirsty and a little nauseous.

• RSLfanalways West Valley, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 1:47 p.m.

What I think is funny that even though Ute's have a 18-4 against BYU and USU, that just shows how bad the state of Utah is at football. The last two seasons have not been good for the Ute's. The football programs in this state will never be great, good coaches will always use the state of Utah as a good way to move onto better programs. Urban Myer, Gary Anderson were able to do great things with average players but that does not last. The coaches that we currently have are all just average and that is how all programs in this state will be, is just average. USC has shown that you can have high ranked recruites and players but with an average coach you will just be an average team.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 1:48 p.m.

@ MyPerspective:

Your perspective is totally wrong in this case. I live in Cache Valley and know how hard it is to get tickets to the USU - BYU games... whether played in Logan or in Provo. Almost all the stadium attendance records here have come as a result of the BYU games in Logan. There is absolutely no question USU considers BYU a rival. They probably even relish beating BYU more than they do any other school.

@ Tomahawk Red:

Why would the fans of either BYU or USU be mad or jealous of Utah getting the PAC12 invite? What is there to be jealous of? Utah has been nothing but a conference cellar dweller since joining and never once beaten a conference foe with a winning record. As such, they've become a laughing stock of the other conference teams... except maybe Colorado. In fact, Utah can't even post a winning record anymore. That is absolutely nothing to be jealous of.

It seems kinda funny for you to LOL at those facts. But have at it if that's what rocks your boat.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 1, 2013 1:51 p.m.

As for Utah and TCU? Well the Utes face #12 UCLA this week and TCU goes up against #11 Oklahoma. Down the road tis season Utah will play Oregon and Stanford who are both ranked in the top 5 right now. Yes, Utah will struggle to gain bowl eligibility and BYU fans will rip on that while they play Houston, Idaho, Middle Tennessee State and Nevada. Boise State and GT are also winnable games for BYU.

• Robroy Murray, utah
    Oct. 1, 2013 2:00 p.m.

CB, The story is about rivals, u have none. what is it about that you can't seem to grasp?

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 2:25 p.m.

Heck no they aren't are rivals! Our only rivals are whoever won the national title the year before and the superbowl. Has USU ever won a recruiting award like we do? no! WHen they do maybe they will be are rivals.

• sg newhall, CA
    Oct. 1, 2013 3:27 p.m.

BYU will lose by at least 10, but could be more simply because they face a QB that can pass and BYU has a horrible passing defense. It's going to be an ugly game for BYU.

• Aggiealum Las Vegas, NV
    Oct. 1, 2013 4:37 p.m.

@ gdog3finally

"With USU's Chuckie Keeton graduating this year"

Just to fix your facts Chuckie Keeton is junior so he won't be graduating this year but next year.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Oct. 1, 2013 4:41 p.m.

I really wouldn't mind if the Ute trolls made objective comments on an article about BYU and USU, but many of the comments are nothing more than rants with no substance.

For a Ute troller to say BYU is not their rival, when that particular Ute troller has commented more that 30 times on BYU articles in the last week is hypocrisy. Most of the time, this Ute troller is the first to comment. This same Ute troller claims Colorado as their rival, but I have yet to read a single comment from her in the Denver Post.

What sense does it make to comment 30 times about a team U consider irrelevant, and no times about a team U consider your rival?

• jeru0455 SALEM, OR
    Oct. 1, 2013 5:06 p.m.

This game should help BYU's recruiting immensely. After this they will be able to tell recruits that they are clearly among the top three teams in the state of Utah.

• pac12ute4life Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 1, 2013 6:45 p.m.

Yes. BYU and Utah State are regional schools and natural rivals.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Oct. 1, 2013 7:57 p.m.

Yeah I shall check myself before I wreck myself. One more year next year with Chuckie keep USU relevant, and that might help them recruit and stay upright for years to come. Wells seems like a good fit as well. We shall see.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Oct. 1, 2013 8:12 p.m.

pac12ute4life
    Beverly Hills, CA

"On the other hand, Utah is a national brand in a power conference, and well on its way to building rivalries with other national brands like USC, Oregon, etc."

If this is the answer, the question is "What is delusional?"

• Striker Omaha, NE
    Oct. 1, 2013 9:25 p.m.

Wyoming, TCU, and New Mexico all have one-way "rivalries" with BYU. It's just another team to BYU, just like USU. Teams that want to have a rivalry are proving one thing - respect for BYU. You don't want to have a rivalry with a school, or want to beat them, if you don't respect them. So Utah's life long dream to only beat BYU, even if it means being the worst in the PAC or having a losing season, just means they respect BYU. It's no different for USU. All these teams respect BYU for their decades of tradition. How many times have we heard, "Beating BYU is a big step for our program"? Tulsa, San Jose State, and ND all said this recently.

I want to see BYU beat Boise and ND for one reason - Respect. I don't care for either team, but it's a huge win for the program if they can beat them. Who cares about USU...bring on Boise, GT, and ND! Already dispatched Texas - biggest of all!

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Oct. 1, 2013 9:35 p.m.

In the days of the WAC and then during its time in the MWC, BYU was everybody's rival. Now that BYU is independent, that has changed. The rivalry with USU will become bigger. But how big depends on how competitive the two programs remain over the years. If it every goes back to a time when one program completely dominates the other, then there will be no real rivalry. The only reason the rivalry with Utah became so big over the last decade is the fact that Utah actually started winning consistently again. In the 90s, Utah was just another game on the schedule for the Cougars. And Utah State was pretty much a non-entity.

I hope Utah State is able to continue their recent winning ways. I just hope that BYU comes out on top more often than not.

• Stang08 Southern, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 10:59 p.m.

"Is USU BYU's new main rival?" They've never been rivals. Since USU only beats BYU every 100 years it's only considered a rival to the aggie fan's.

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Oct. 2, 2013 8:09 a.m.

"Is Utah State BYU's new main rival?"

Absolutely they are! Since BYU can't beat Utah anymore. Utah State is a great rival to have in determining who is the second best team in the state.

• BYU Joe MISSION VIEJO, CA
    Oct. 2, 2013 8:13 a.m.

The reason I cannot really consider this a rivalry is because I don't have that honest "I really don't like you" feeling about USU. When they are playing other schools I hope they win. When they lost to Auburn, USC or Wisconsin I really felt bad for them. And if they beat BYU I say good game and good luck.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Oct. 2, 2013 8:51 a.m.

"gdog3finally

West Jordan, Utah

This match up bodes well for BYU in the future, just not this year. With USU's Chuckie Keeton graduating this year and Boise State's coach Chris Petersen heading for USC, watch BYU's independent schedule become a 6 out o 12 patsie thing each year going forward."

I can understand the argument on USU (don't necessarily agree) but, you're out of your mind on BSU. They were good long before Chris Petersen and have a brand. Some schools plug in a QB, they plug in a coach and don't miss a beat.

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Oct. 2, 2013 10:17 a.m.

sg

"BYU will lose by at least 10, but could be more simply because they face a QB that can pass and BYU has a horrible passing defense."

Gotta luv how some fans just make stuff up to support their own personal biases.

BYU has the 34th ranked passing efficiency defense (114.08), on par with Utah State's 27th ranked passing efficiency defense (110.54).

In total defense, they're nearly identical, BYU (320.5 ypg), USU (315.4 ypg).

And let's not forget, Taysom outplayed Chuckie across the board in a 6-3 win last year.

Taysom 24/36, 235 yds, 1 TD, 1 int, 19 carries, 80 yds
    Chuckie 22/38, 202 yds, 0 TD, 0 int, 10 carries, 23 yds

• pac12ute4life Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 2, 2013 11:36 a.m.

Utah State and BYU are just fighting for the scraps from Utah's "Big Boy" table. Neither program can hold a candle to the Utes. And the gap will only get bigger, given that Utah is a true national brand and BYU and Utah State are irrelevant regional schools.

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Oct. 2, 2013 12:54 p.m.

@pac12ute4life:
    "Utah is a true national brand and BYU and Utah State are irrelevant regional schools."

You already said this, and it hasn't gotten any less ridiculous with repetition.

East of the front range of the Rockies, no one even knows U exist. The Utes keep good coaches for less time than you do your athelete-students, then they are off to bigger and better jobs without a second look.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 2, 2013 1:38 p.m.

WA_Alum&Dad
    Marysville, WA

4 in a row and 9 of 12.

Have a good 3 years.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 2, 2013 1:52 p.m.

What good is having Utah teams beating each other?

Let's play football, and increase national exposure. Let's play out of state teams.

Utah was fortunate in its two in-state wins, but gets crushed in the PAC 12. Looks bad for the whole state.

Forget the rival.

• ekute Layton, UT
    Oct. 2, 2013 2:17 p.m.

Good programs develop coaches that are sought after by other schools.

Struggling programs on the decline go crawling on their knees to hire back coaches that they fired.

• pac12ute4life Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 2, 2013 4:47 p.m.

"East of the front range of the Rockies, no one even knows U exist."

Get your head out of the sand. Utah is a national brand. We compete with the big boys in the Pac 12 day in and day out. Our coach is here to stay.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 2, 2013 5:19 p.m.

If you wear a Utah tee-shirt east of the rockies, people think it's BYU.

Never heard of the utes.

• pac12ute4life Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 2, 2013 6:58 p.m.

"If you wear a Utah tee-shirt east of the rockies, people think it's BYU. Never heard of the utes."

False. The Utes put the beat down on Bama the last time they played, and would have won the national championship that year had a playoff system been in place. The Utes are going to start hauling in big-time recruits from Texas after they play in the Rose Bowl this year.

Whether you like it or not, the Utes are a national brand, much more so than either of BYU or Utah State.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Oct. 2, 2013 7:03 p.m.

delusionalute4life

FYI--- Your coach is a short timer.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 3, 2013 3:16 a.m.

"ute seniors 1-1 v USU seniors, and are LUCKY to be 1-1."

Lucky was what occurred in OT last year. This year's game had zero to do w/luck. The U won the 1st, 3rd and 4th quarters and, following usu's final TD merely 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter, The U limited them to under 100 yards of total O for the remainder, including forcing 3 punts. Meanwhile, The U outscored usu, 16-3, during this identical final-stretch, as they wore usu down as time gradually elapsed, including racking-up more than 250 yards of total O. usu dominated 1 quarter and 3 additional minutes. The U dominated the remaining 3 quarters and 42 minutes of the game.

usu is a good team, but they lost to the better team, no matter how one spins it. Momentum swung as a result of superior coaching/scouting when taking advantage of usu's tendency on kick-returns.

I'll be rooting for usu tomorrow night, as they attempt to solidify their rightful place as the state's 2nd best team!

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 8:33 a.m.

"The Utes and Aggies needs to win a Championship before they can be on the same level as BYU."

Tama:

Wow, that's a stretch! By that reasoning, Army is MUCH more relevant today than BYU. The Cadets won 3 NC's in a row, way back when.

• Horrible Stumper Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 3, 2013 11:20 a.m.

I think EKUTE hit it right on the head. USU's main rival will become BSU. As BYU continues it's death spiral to irrelevance, Idaho State is a viable contender for becoming BYUs main rival. Others to consider are New Mexico State and Idaho. They can fight for the Unaffiliated Bowl. As far as independents, BYU is always going to be behind Notre Dame, and never have the prestige of an Army team or a Navy team. Because of their success 30 years ago the big boys (SEC, Big 12, & PAC 12) will continue to schedule the Y as a punching bag. So the Y fans shouldn't be too arrogant.

• pac12ute4life Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 3, 2013 12:24 p.m.

Please. The Utes would have won the national championship in 2008 (and probably 2004), if a playoff system had been in place. The Utes were the best team in the country after all the games had been played. That gives Utah two championships.

In any event, with Pac 12 membership and a national following, it will only be a matter of time before they win another championship, now that a playoff format exists. The rest of the teams in Utah can mire in mediocrity and vie for the title of the best team in a very weak football state.

Onward and Upward!!!

• WA_Alum&Dad Marysville, WA
    Oct. 3, 2013 6:17 p.m.

There's much more to being a national university than being a flash in the pan in football for two years back a decade ago, before your coach runs off to bigger things at the first opportunity.

And if we limit the conversation to athletics, Utah can't seem to walk and chew gum at the same time. When has their men's BB and FB teams been any good at the same time? How many other perennial powerhouse teams does Utah field? Oh yeah--women's gymnastics. Ski team? Right. How many schools/conferences even have ski teams? Really tough to dominate in a sport no one else takes seriously, huh.

If you are talking what is supposed to be the primary mission of a university, with the possible exception of the medical program, Utah doesn't even make a ripple. Meanwhile the Wall Street Journal reports BYU ranked #11 nationally by college recuiters, ahead of programs such as Cornell, Cal Berkeley, Ohio State, UCLA, Notre Dame, MIT, USC.

I looked and looked, but I didn't see the University of Utah on the Top 25 list. Must be a clerical error!

So give it a rest, wannabes.

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 10:44 a.m.

USU has two more games with BYU at most that Keaton will play. Will the Aggies get that caliber of player in the next twenty years to play QB?

USU is as much of a rival as Wyoming, Air Force or Hawaii has been. The games have always been fun but lacked the competition required of a true rivalry. BYU usually won all those contests, or at least the vast majority of them. Utah on the otherhand has.

Boise State probably has higher potential of replacing Utah as BYU's rival. BYU has got to start winning those close ones to get the Broncos respect.

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2013 12:40 p.m.

Stumper, just wondering, is the Unaffiliated Bowl better than no bowl at all? I figured nobody better to ask than a Ute homer.