Utes football: Utah preparing to battle UCLA Bruins Thursday night

Comments

• Chris B's momma Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 29, 2013 6:57 p.m.

Kiffins gone... Is wit next. His records is abysmal in conference

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 29, 2013 8:27 p.m.

I believe.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 9:07 p.m.

@ Chris B:

Better find something else to do this Thursday night besides watch football. You won't like what happens. Unfortunately, the same things you wish on BYU fans... on BYU articles no less... is going to come right back at you. It won't be pretty. For some strange reason, there seems to be some justice in there somewhere.

After Thursday, you will 1-3 in your last 4 picks. Not much to brag about. Oh well, there's always next year. But wait... you won't be playing BYU next year. That means there won't be anything at all to look forward to... except playing Weber. And yes, we'll mark that one down, as requested.

Hopefully, you'll be able to enjoy USU's and BYU's bowl games without too much of your usual criticism ... since they will be the only local teams represented again this year. But keep trying. There just has to be an eventual end to that conference cellar dweller status sometime... maybe... possibly... hopefully. We're all pulling for U, Chris.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 9:10 p.m.

Ha ha gotta love BYU trolls. A couple days after beating a team I've never heard of and they're already back at it on the Utah boards. What's funny is BYU is probably the only team in the nation to go the whole month of September without a TD pass.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 9:13 p.m.

Tators: you must have some obsession with Utah because you post a lot on their articles.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 9:29 p.m.

All I ask is that when Utah makes a bowl game at the end of the season that the trollers come on here to admit they were wrong. I'll certainly come on here to admit it if I'm wrong if they don't end up going. But to think they will go 2-6 the rest of the way after a 3-1 start is pretty naive, even for the Utah haters.

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 9:37 p.m.

Does it get any bigger than this? UCLA, a top 10 team, playing in SLC in a conference game. Yes, it can get bigger - just wait 10 days and Stanford, a top 5 team, playing in SLC in a conference game. Getting to play the very best, getting to see the very best, never could have imagined this. I love it! Go Utes!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 9:53 p.m.

@ steeleute:

I have no obsession at all with Utah. I just like to call them as I see them. Besides, I post a lot less on Ute articles than a host of Ute trolls post on BYU articles. A lot less overall. Numbers don't lie. I admit than In a weaker moment, I occasionally succumb when certain Ute trolls set the table for such a response. But definitely not Chris B type of on-gong and never-ending BYU obsession. Not even close.

But on top of that, I do admit somewhat embracing the feeling of letting Chris B and a few of his minions feel a little bit back what they constantly dish out. One thing you still need to learn, steeleute... What goes around, comes around.

If lightning strikes and the U somehow has a winning season, I will man-up and admit my prediction was wrong online. Not a problem if that's all you're asking. But until then, it won't cause a loss of any sleep.

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 9:55 p.m.

I'm all for having a reasonable football conversation though. So if you guys want to explain why you really don't think Utah has a "chance" at a bowl game then I'll be happy to explain my opinion why I do they think they will make one. I follow most of the in-state teams though pretty closely and if you want my two cents on the rest of BYU's season and how I think it will play out I'll be happy to let you know insult and jab free.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 29, 2013 10:20 p.m.

I can't believe I am saying this about our defense but it's all comes down to the DBs. Our secondary was horrendous against OSU and ULCA is a better team. Our secondary seemed to have fixed the issues against BYU but then again they have one of the worst passing offenses in the country.

Go UTES!

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 10:32 p.m.

Tators: unfortunately some of my fellow fans troll way too much on BYU articles and vice versa with some BYU fans. Even I fall into the trap and will go post some stupid troll comments sometimes. Maybe it's a good thing the two teams won't be playing for the next 2 years. Hopefully some of the animosity dies down during that time.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 11:39 p.m.

byu fans hoping UCLA will do what byu hasn't been able to accomplish in four years is just priceless. byu lost again even with a strategically placed bye week before the game, magic uniforms, and KVN predicting a "bloodbath." LOL!

I noticed that as of today, not one opponent byu has on their schedule is currently ranked. You guys really need to get into a conference...if the MWC will take you back.

As for the Utes, there is some great football coming to SLC. That's what elite conferences are about...excellence on and off the field.

- Cheers!

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 11:46 p.m.

Uteology: Ya, our DB's will probably determine the outcome of this one. I think the LB play needs to be big too because they will need to contain Hundley if he decides to run. Should be a fun game though, I'm excited because I'll be there decked out in my black Ute gear!

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:02 a.m.

It's fitting that the Utes chose to make this a blackout game; their slim PAC 12 South hopes will end on Thursday.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:08 a.m.

Isn't it great there is still one team in Utah very much alive for a power conference title game and rose bowl birth?

Things I've said since the offseason:

1. Utah would beat byu(done)
    2. Utah would beat usu(done)
    3. Utah would go 8-4(well on our way)
    4. The Utah/UCLA winner would win Pac 12 South.

And for those who say Utah won't be UCLA, you are the same people who said Utah wouldn't beat usu and wouldn't beat byU.

And we know how those went.

GO Utes

Onward and Upward

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:09 a.m.

Utah 27
    UCLA 24

Mark it Down

• 2BCSWINS West of I15, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:39 a.m.

@Tators and Thomas Jefferson...LOL!

I love how cougie fan's have to jump on the band wagon of other teams hoping they can do what the cougies have no chance of doing....beating the utes.

I know it hurts cougies 4 in a row, 9 of 12 and complete domination overall of our little brothers to the south! Poor KVN came back to provo for no reason he played his superbowl and lost yet again 0 - 4 for KVN in his "superbowl"....GO UTES!

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:42 a.m.

UCLA will be a huge test, but home field should aid Utah. The PAC 12 is loaded this year, so any win will be a good win. It sould be great to get this one;

GO UTES!
    >--->

• Just Smiling BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:54 a.m.

A lowest regarded bowl game at the end of a season of playing no ranked teams (what ever happened to Texas, Boise State, Wisconsin and Notre Dame?)The hardest schedule EVER in BYU history? Ouch! Compare that to Utah's schedule of 5 more top 25 teams. I'll take the exciting, challenging and highly respected season every time.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:56 a.m.

2b

"I love how [BYU] fan's have to jump on the band wagon of other teams..."

Yes, that's soooo much different than Utah fans jumping on the band wagon of EVERY BYU opponent.

I know it hurts, winning the battle, but losing the war with BYU every year.

KVN will be playing in another bowl game this year, while the sorry Utes are once again spending bowl week on the couch.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:04 a.m.

Plan A: talk smack after BYU beats Utah

Plan B: talk smack after BYU loses to Utah (again)

It's on to plan B for Thomas Jefferson, Tators and Pacman. I'll clue you boys in on a little secret, after you've been dominated you may want to cease with the trash talk.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:10 a.m.

Just Smiling

"I'll take the exciting, challenging and highly respected season every time."

Assuming Utah gets enough wins to qualify for a bowl, current bowl projections:

Las Vegas (Las Vegas) MWC 1 vs. Pac-12 5 - Utah State vs. Arizona
    Kraft (San Francisco) Pac-12 6 vs. BYU/ACC 9 - Oregon State vs. BYU
    New Mexico (Albuquerque) MWC 4 vs. Pac-12 7 - Wyoming vs. Utah

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:10 a.m.

@ Chris B

27-24???

While I do think Utah has a chance in this game, I think it's a given that at least one, probably both teams will score at least 30 points.

• DeepBlue Anaheim, CA
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:20 a.m.

reasonableUTE

It's a given that UCLA will score 30+ points; not even close to a given that Utah will score more against UCLA than the Utes scored against BYU.

UCLA 37
    Utah 17

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:24 a.m.

The Utah/UCLA winner WILL play Oregon for the Pac 12 title and Rose Bowl.

And Utah is only a 3 point underdog.

That shows the respect the football world has for Utah against a powerhouse team and top 15 UCLA team that is undefeated.

Go Utes

I LOVE my BCS membership!

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:27 a.m.

chris b

Things you've conveniently forgotten that you said since the off season:

1. Texas would stomp BYU - see most rushing yards ever given up by Texas
    2. Utah would finish September 4-0 - see OSU dominating Utah for most of the game
    3. Winner of the UCLA/Utah game WILL win the PAC South - true, winner UCLA

Unfortunately for U, the Bruins are a much better team than the Beavers.

UCLA 45
    Utah 17

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:50 a.m.

As the lone UCLA fan here, I will say this. Am I worried? No not really, however, I have to admit that UCLA's last couple of visit's to Rice Eccles, in fact just Utah, we have not fared well. However, this is a completely different team than the two who came here in 07' and 11'. UCLA is 9-2 overall against Utah but the majority of that was from 74' and earlier. The record is 2-2 since 2006. But again, this is a different UCLA team. UCLA is on a mission this year and they see an opportunity to dominate the PAC-12 South.

ChrisB, I am sorry, I am not seeing a Utah win of 27-24. Utah will get there points, but not enough.

We have scored a bunch this year and not given up a whole lot. I still like my Bruins in this

UCLA - 45 *I just think UCLA's offense has more weapons than Utah can handle.
    Utah - 17 *UCLA's Defense will not be as bad as Oregon State's

*To all Utah fans, I will eat my crow gracefully if Utah wins. I have done it before. I just don't see it this year.

• RSLfanalways West Valley, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 10:08 a.m.

I remember a comment that Chris B made about the oregon state game
    "Our offense is much better than their defense and our defense is much better than their offense. Considering all their injuries and the fact they lost to a division II team, I think the only scenario we lose this game is of we turn the ball over 5 times, and that just won't happen.

Look for Utah to score early and coast to an easy victory.

Utah 34
    Osu 17

We are all but guarantees a 4-0 start and top 25 ranking at this point.

Go utes!"

His prediction for this game was not correct.

• BYUJDMBA San Diego, CA
    Sept. 30, 2013 10:16 a.m.

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 10:20 a.m.

Uteanymous

Las Vegas (Las Vegas) MWC 1 vs. Pac-12 5 - Utah State vs. Arizona
    Kraft (San Francisco) Pac-12 6 vs. BYU/ACC 9 - Oregon State vs. BYU
    New Mexico (Albuquerque) MWC 4 vs. Pac-12 7 - Wyoming vs. Utah

You are painting a very accurate depiction of byu's pathetic bowl picture. Essentially the left overs from the power conference. Next year's schedule is phenomenal and the 2 for 1 deals keep rolling in. You guys are treated like an outcast but either don't know it or don't have enough pride to stand tall and say...'enough.'

Keep smiling.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Sept. 30, 2013 10:50 a.m.

@BYUJDMBA,

"As a BYU fan it's kind of fun to have the Utes in a different conference. I wish them luck in every single game but agsinst BYU. The Utes were the better team 2 weeks ago, but they were not head and shoulders better. The more each school wins, the better each looks at this point. So fans should drop the negativity now that rivalry week is over and hope both schools dominate the remaining competition."

Thank you! My sentiment exactly! The rivalry game is over and we lost. It's time to cheer for both teams now and wish them the best the rest of their schedules. Same with the Aggies after this weekend.

Go Cougars! Go utes! Go Aggies after this Friday!

• Bleed Crimson Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2013 11:02 a.m.

@ WAC man

"It's fitting that the Utes chose to make this a blackout game; their slim PAC 12 South hopes will end on Thursday"

Utah tends to win their black out games since they started that tradition back in 2008 (4-1 record to be exact). BYU decided to jump on the black out game bandwagon last year and got the rear ends handed to them by Oregon State. The cougars won't be doing that anymore after that embarrassment last year.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Sept. 30, 2013 11:39 a.m.

"UCLA has the 5th ranked defense in the conference."

They may have the fifth best or they may have the best. However, having played Nebraska, Nevada Reno and NM St. I don't believe anyone knows how good their defense actually is. We'll see Thursday night. I do know that our DB's had better bring their A game.

• Champ72 logan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 12:53 p.m.

I am pulling for Utah to win. I hope they do. But I am a realist. Utah's chances are not great. They had trouble containing Keeton and Hundley is better. Now that's not to say that Utah couldn't pull off the upset they very well could. I hope they do because that makes the whole state look better. Here's to hoping.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Sept. 30, 2013 1:05 p.m.

Reminds me of a line from "The Princess Bride".

Wesley (UCLA) to Inigo (Utah):
    -Get used to disappointment.
    -OK.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 1:26 p.m.

@Tators:

0-4. Shhhhhhh.

Stoked for a ranked Bruins team (actually deserving of their ranking) to bring their powerful competition to Rice Ecceles Stadium Thursday night!

Go Utes!

• Richard Cranium Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 30, 2013 1:33 p.m.

UCLA's defense is too good, and Mazzone (Erickson's old offensive coordinator) has UCLA firing. USC (the ones who held USU to 14 points) will be rebounding with an invigorated offense now that Kiffin is gone. ASU will score 45 points and outgun Utah's defense. They will be close and I hope will even win against the Wildcats who only managed 13 points at Washington last week. Luckily there is Colorado, otherwise the Utes would be the cellar dwellar of the PAC 11 South

Add in losses to Oregon and Stanford and the Utes end up with 6 losses in the PAC 11 this year.

Lucky for them BYU's offense is abysmal or they would be staring at an 8 loss season this year.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 1:33 p.m.

Go Utes!

• Reno Cougs Fan 68 Reno, NV
    Sept. 30, 2013 1:50 p.m.

To Chris B and the rest of the MUSS faithful,
    Your defense gave up 51 points to OSU they are not UCLA!!!
    UCLA just might show you how it feels to be on the losing end of a 70-7 whipping!!!
    I think the Utes are going to need a lot more then a blacked out MUSS and theme night to beat the Bruins!!! Maybe the Utes should pray for snow or rain? Will Jim Mora call off the dogs when they are ahead by 35 or run some trick plays for practice? Good luck Utah, this is not going to be a repeat of the Alabama game!!!

UCLA 65 Utah 21!!!
    Go Utes prove me wrong again!!!
    Go Cougs!!! Beat the Aggies!!!
    Go Aggies win the MWC!!!

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 2:02 p.m.

So the article says UCLA has a 5th ranked Defense, it is actually #6. Yes it is against Nevada, Nebraska, and New Mexico State. But Utah has the 11th ranked Defense against Utah State, Weber State, Oregon State, and BYU.

UCLA has the #1 rated offense in the PAC-12, and Utah has the #5. I am sure the 70 Points against Weber State helped out. UCLA has scored 20 TD's this year, Utah has 16, 10 of them came against Weber State. You have punched it in on average two times a game without Weber State. I will be fair though, we have 20 TD's, you can take our 8 we scored against New Mexico State. But that is cool, we still have 12, twice as many as you do with one entire less game.

UCLA has given up only 7 TD's to your Utes 10, and 6 of your 10 came against OSU, and UCLA looks to be better than OSU.

Your Defense gives up avg. 406 yards per game, UCLA averages 614 yards per game.

Sorry Ute fans it does not look good.

GO BRUINS!

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 2:08 p.m.

Just based on that alone, I am thinking UCLA is holding a pretty good edge. However, like I said before, UCLA does not have a great record recently in the St ate of Utah.

I don't know Ute fans, I am liking my Bruins more and more. But to be honest, these are the games I fear. The ones where everyone expects you to win. Here is to a good game and a Bruin win.

GO BRUINS!

• redfeather Palo Alto, CA
    Sept. 30, 2013 2:12 p.m.

MyPerspective

You're assuming Utah's realistic bowl options include the Rose Bowl, Holiday Bowl, etc., when in reality they're really New Mexico Bowl or bust.

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 2:17 p.m.

Every BYU fan would trade places with Utah.

I would be interested if certain newspapers would do a readers poll to see if BYU fans would trade places with Utah. Independence for Pac 12 if BYU didn't have to play on Sundays.

Seriously: Pac 12 consistently vs. Who knows? WCC vs. Pac 12 opponents?

My family has 4 tix to every football game and attends 5-8 basketball games each year. It is so much funner having quality opponents every week in football and now the rivalries are starting to happen within the Pac 12. It's fun knowing you have 10 really good basketball teams coming in each year instead of just UNLV and BYU and some times New Mexico.

I wish the rivalry game didn't go away. I would trade BYU for Michigan any day. Regardless, being in the conference is so much better than not belonging.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 30, 2013 2:22 p.m.

@J-TX "Reminds me of a line from "The Princess Bride. UCLA to Utah, "Get used to disappointment. OK."

J-TX, does the scoreboard play in to any of your memories? Last 3 meetings:

Utah 44, UCLA 10
    Utah 31, UCLA 6
    UCLA 21, Utah 14

• MyPerspective Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 3:58 p.m.

redfeather
    No assumptions on my part regarding the Utes...not speculating about anything. I stated a simple fact:

If byu makes it to a bowl, they get the left overs from the power conferences. byu's schedule next year is less than a MWC part II quality. Finally, the 2 for 1 deals do, in fact, keep rolling in for byu. IMO, byu fans enjoy their independence gig but it is hard for me to understand why.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 30, 2013 4:41 p.m.

Tators

"I have no obsession at all with Utah"

Says the byU "fan" on a story about Utah and UCLA. Your very post proves your statement wrong. If this was your first post, or if you were a devout UCLA fan, I would give that to you. But when you constantly post on all things Utah, you either are in love with Utah, or you have an obsession.

Either way -- thank you for your continued support of our program!!

Go Utes!! Onward and Upward!!

• Elmer Fudd Sandy, Utah
    Sept. 30, 2013 5:01 p.m.

@ Richard Cranium

"Chris B you are delusional if you think Utah will win the PAC 11 south. Your claim is based on what? The way they dominated Oregon State? (the only dominating win this season for the Utes has been Weber State)"

Delusional? Didn't Chris B nail his predictions about Utah beating USU during the offseason? Didn't Chris B predict that Utah's senior class would complete a perfect 4-0 sweep the BYU senior class this year? Let's not call him delusional when he's also been spot on with his predictions.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 30, 2013 5:04 p.m.

UtahBruin:

"*To all Utah fans, I will eat my crow gracefully if Utah wins."

How refreshing it is to get intelligent banter from fellow PAC-12 fans. byU "fans" could learn a lesson or two.

Just as UCLA is a different team this year as it was in '11, Utah is a completely different team also. Utah's offense has grown leaps and bounds this year alone. In 2011, the only offense we had was White. Hays only completed 5 passes for less than 70 yards. Last year, with a totally jacked-up offense, Utah only lost by 7 in Pasadena. Better yet, our inexperienced defense is gelling at the right time. Your coaches have stated that Utah's front 4 are better as a unit this year than they were last year with Star.

Of course, none of this means squat once the teams are on the field. So, for now, I look forward to the game and your Thursday night meal of the black bird. If it doesn't come to pass, I will gladly give your team credit where it is due, then we both can sit back and enjoy the USC dumpster fire!

Go Utes!

• IndeMak South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 5:04 p.m.

So according to Utah Bruin, (Johnny come lately) we simply shouldn't play the game, lie down and just give it to UCLA.

Nope!

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Sept. 30, 2013 5:35 p.m.

PAC12Fan

"Every BYU fan would trade places with Utah."

Every power conference has it's perennial bottom dwellers. It's not so much who you associate with that matters, it's what you do with those opportunities that matters.

Arizona has been a PAC member since 1979 - still looking for it's first Rose Bowl
    Indiana has been a B1G member since 1953 - last and only Rose Bowl, 1967

Utah fans can beat their chests all they want to about "being in the PAC", but until the Utes actually accomplish something in the PAC, you're nothing but cannon fodder for the big boys of the PAC.

---------------

U 90

Didn't UCLA beat U the last time U played them?

Last three meetings versus UCLA

@UCLA 27 BYU 17
    BYU 17 UCLA 16 (Las Vegas Bowl)
    @BYU 59 UCLA 0 (largest shutout of UCLA since USC shut out the Bruins 76-0 in 1929)

@Utah 44, UCLA 10
    @Utah 31, UCLA 6
    @UCLA 21, Utah 14

BYU already has three accomplishments versus the Bruins that the Utes have never accomplished:

BYU has shut out the Bruins, and has beaten them in the Rose Bowl and in a bowl game.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 6:34 p.m.

noperspective

Hoping UCLA will do what BYU couldn't? I'm sorry what does BYU have to do with your conference schedule? We've heard for 3 years now how the Utes will do many glorious things in the PAC10.2... uh, it ain't happening.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that UCLA is going thump the Utes handily Thursday night. I'm pretty sure ASU, Stanford, and Oregon will do the same.

That leaves Washington, Colorado, USC and Arizona doesn't it? Out of those 4 games Utes will probably lose half of them.

Utes will once again be < .500 in their glorious conference and bowl-less.

That's exciting huh? LOL

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 7:01 p.m.

Mr. Bruin: "You have punched it in on average two times a game without Weber State."

I'm curious as to how you came to this conclusion. I wasn't a math major, but I'm pretty sure 3 TDs vs. Utah State, 6 TDs vs. Oregon State, and 2 TDs at BYU averages out to be nearly 4 TDs per game, excluding the Weber State game. Are there variables or algorithms I'm not aware of in assessing this information?

Best of luck to your Bruins. I'd love a Utah win, as unlikely as it is, but all I really hope for is an enjoyable game to watch and no serious injuries to either team. Wish I were still in state to attend, last year was a lot of fun getting to see studs like Marqise Lee, Star Lotulelei and Ka'deem Carey in person. Never got to see Hundley or Barr live, hopefully some Sunday down the road I'll get to!

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 7:11 p.m.

@IndeMac

Johnny come lately? I have been here for the past several years. I did not say anything about laying down and not playing the game. On paper the game is all but over. But paper foot all doesn't count. I know the game has to be played. I know that my Bruins have had their struggles in this state. I know that anything can happen. I am confident that my Bruins will beat your beloved Utes. But I was also confident that Oregon was going to play for the title last year. Don't get upset about the stats. I am just pointing out some things that I think are beneficial to the game. We will have to see how it all plays out. Here's to a Bruin victory in Utah.

I said I would eat my crow. I am a big enough boy to do that. Will you do the same IndeMac? Thanks for keeping it classy VegasUte.

@Rockwell, when did you beat UCLA in the Rose Bowl? Sorry don't remember that one.
    Go BRUINS!

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Sept. 30, 2013 7:19 p.m.

UtahBruin

Don't the Bruins play in the Rose Bowl?

• Rockwell Baltimore, MD
    Sept. 30, 2013 7:24 p.m.

Oct 1, 1983, BYU 37 at UCLA 35, first game in the BYU/UCLA series

Part of BYU's 24-game winning streak that culminated in BYU's 1984 National Championship

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:17 p.m.

I'll say it steelute, the Utes will go 2-6 the rest of the way. And I hope I'm wrong actually. They might go 3-5 and make that bowl game and maybe play BYU in the Kraft Hunger Bowl. I'm hoping for that since the rivalry is going to take a two-year break.

I see the Utes beating WAZZU and CU and maybe AZ to get bowl eligible. I think they lose at USC, lose to UCLA. obviously lose to Stanford and Oregon, and Arizona State. The USC game is a bit of an unknown but I think whoever replaces Kiffin, even during the season, will harness that talent much better. But maybe like AZ that game is up in the air. So maybe, just maybe 7-5 is in the cards...But I would say 5-7 is more likely and 6-6 second most likely.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:23 p.m.

@Rockwell

Sorry about my lack of history knowledge regarding the BYU UCLA series. I guess I just didn't care enough to go back to 1983, 20 years ago to find out about a win in BYU's history. We play Utah this week so I was hoping to enjoy in some friendly banter with my Utah friends this week. I really wasn't expecting to have to talk BYU information. BYU was a very talented team back then, thus the National Title. But I am more worried about the Utah game this week. As you should be worried about USU and your passing game. There is plenty I am sure there to stay busy enough. Utah is a talented team, they beat your Cougs. I am a sport fan, UCLA is my team. But I know enough to know that anyone can win on any given day. I mean heck, BYU even beat my Bruins in the Rose Bowl in 1983. But thanks for the history lesson. Much appreciated. If UCLA plays BYU again, I hope we can have some friendly banter. Good luck against USU this week. Here's to a UCLA victory!

GO BRUINS!

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:59 p.m.

StGtoSLC

You are right. I made a mistake. Your figures are right. I was looking at a stat page and must have looked at the wrong number, it happens. I wasn't trying to doop anyone, it was a honest mistake. Regardless, I still like my Bruins to win and win big. I have already put it down thinking 45-17. But the game still has to be played, I know that. As much as I am willing to give props to Utah if they do pull the upset. I hope many more Utah fans including yourself will be like VegasUte and give my Bruins the props. I will do the same for the Utes if they win. But right now, I am thinking UCLA wins.

GO BRUINS!

• eagle Provo, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 11:22 p.m.

UCLA 42 Utah 28.

• jbohn Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 11:23 p.m.

I love how byu fans come here and predict a blowout and think its trash talk. One thing is for sure, Utah will put up a better fight against UCLA than byu would.

Talking trash on a team that has dominated you is like talking trash on yourself. It isnt rocket science cougs.

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Oct. 1, 2013 6:26 a.m.

Thomas J: the Utes have won the last four over "BUY" and will play some great teams this year in the PAC 12. You sir only wish that the same we're true for your team. Wallow in your shame as you prop up teams that you hope can do what BUY can not - beat the Utes.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 1, 2013 8:07 a.m.

New Mexico is to the MWC, as Utah is to the PAC 12.

PAC 12 refs will favor UCLA--mark that down. Utes will double its penalties.

UCLA 49
    Utah 10

• Ed Grady Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 1, 2013 8:40 a.m.

Let the Pac-12 slaughter begin.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 8:42 a.m.

Alls I know is if we played Utah again we would almost certainly win them .

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Oct. 1, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Rockwell is making up stats from when players wore leather helmets. Nice!

• RSLfanalways West Valley, UT
    Oct. 1, 2013 1:52 p.m.

What I think is funny that even though Ute's have a 18-4 against BYU and USU, that just shows how bad the state of Utah is at football. The last two seasons have not been good for the Ute's. The football programs in this state will never be great, good coaches will always use the state of Utah as a good way to move onto better programs. Urban Myer, Gary Anderson were able to do great things with average players but that does not last. The coaches that we currently have are all just average and that is how all programs in this state will be, is just average. USC has shown that you can have high ranked recruites and players but with an average coach you will just be an average team.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Oct. 1, 2013 6:29 p.m.

So I come on this article to read about what the Ute fans are commenting on this game, and the majority of comments are either referencing BYU trolls or throwing in not so hidden jabs at BYU's game that occured almost two weeks ago. And Utah is trying to convince the PAC-12 schools they are "over" BYU? this Sun Devil isn't buying it.

Anyway, Everyone knows Chris B's predictions are predicated on empty rhetoric, so we'll ignore his predictions. I'm sorry Utah, UCLA is the team to beat in the south. I'm siding with UtahBruin and saying UCLA 48, Utah 13. Game is over at the half or by mid third quarter.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Oct. 1, 2013 8:58 p.m.

Look for some first period -15 yard penalties, and the utes will be domed the rest of the game.

• pac12ute4life Beverly Hills, CA
    Oct. 2, 2013 7:01 p.m.

BYU fans just cant stop obsessing about the mighty Utes. You never see Utah fans posting on BYU articles. Then again, I suppose it is only natural - Utah is a national brand and BYU is a regional school hoping for some reflected glory.

Utah 37
    UCLA 13

You heard it here first. Rose Bowl bound!! Pac 12 Champs!

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 3, 2013 4:11 a.m.

UtahBruin

"Utah on average is giving up 24 points per game, UCLA is scoring on average 52 points per games.

Utah is scoring 42 Points per game, 32 without Weber State. UCLA is giving up only 18."

These comparisons aren't valid, since ucla has played against a significantly weaker SOS [currently, ucla ranks #130/The U ranks #39].

Do you know what Texas State and NU have in common so far this year? Both have played against Wyoming at home. NU won, 37-34, after Wyoming hung over 600 yards in total-o on them., while out-gaining them for the game. Texas State won, 42-21, holding Wyoming to almost 1/2 this total yards on o.

Nebraska is a shell of its former self and, not unlike Texas, was vastly overrated in the PRE-season, based upon nothing more than name and potential. Neither has been anything of note in recent memory, particularly their respective defenses.

And please get off the Weber State deal. Our starters played merely 1 half and there's hardly a wide gap in ability/talent between them/NMSU.