Faith

Joel Osteen — and his smile — hit Utah

Comments

• RanchHand Huntsville, UT
    Sept. 28, 2013 8:09 a.m.

What is the price of a ticket, how much is his cut?

Those are the relevant questions I would ask.

• ThinksIThink SEATTLE, WA
    Sept. 28, 2013 8:10 p.m.

@RanchHand,

Olsteen's cut is 9%.

Any other questions?

• Daniel Leifker San Francisco, CA
    Sept. 29, 2013 10:20 a.m.

I've listened to Joel Osteen now and then. I used to live in Houston across from the sports arena known as the Summit, which seats 16,800 people (the LDS Conference Center, in comparison, seats 21,000). Joel Osteen's church bought the building and turned the arena into a gargantuan sanctuary. I thought this was pretty staggering.

His core message, in my opinion, is that we humans have stupendously, unimaginably more control over our lives than we realize. I think he's correct. "We are the sum of our choices," as someone said. The unhappiest people I know are the ones who simply let things happen to them and engage life more as an observer than a commander.

• Tom Johnson Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 29, 2013 1:30 p.m.

I wouldn't go see Joel Osteen. He preaches the "prosperity gospel." He teaches that if you keep the commandments of Jesus Christ you will be blessed financially. The Bible teaches, and "Mormons" believe, that even if you keep all the commandments that you will suffer trials, tribulations, and adversity as part of our mortal probation and test.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 8:09 a.m.

Thank you Larry King for asking Mr. Osteen, years ago, on the chances of a rich man entering heaven. Mr. Osteen and Rick Warren are great people because they don't go out of their way to offend others, they are nice and want to be nice. Yet the scriptures are pretty tough on the rich.

• Tom Johnson Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 30, 2013 9:28 a.m.

I wouldn't go to hear Joel Osteen. He preaches the "prosperity gospel." That is, if you keep the commandments of God that you will get rich financially. The Bible teaches, and "Mormons" believe that even if you keep all the commandments, you will experience hardship, perhaps poverty, trials, adversities, and tribulation as part of our mortal testing experience.