BYU football: Cougar seniors looking to end losing streak to Utah

Comments

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 5:53 a.m.

As fans, we are also ready for a win. "Let's roll!"

Go Cougars!

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Sept. 19, 2013 6:22 a.m.

0-4, 'nuff said.

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Sept. 19, 2013 6:37 a.m.

After reading this article, and despite all arguments to the contrary, this game is much more important to us than the Utes for all the reasons cited by our players. Let's hope they step up because I know Utah will as they always do.

Go Cougars! Let's make it 1-3!

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 8:06 a.m.

Hoffmany, Van Noy, and so many others will long be remembered for their inability to beat their rivals.

This is the SECOND time in the last 15 years Utah has a 4-0 streak over byu.

Guess how many 4-0 streaks byu has in the last 15 years?

None!

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 8:07 a.m.

Since your "quest" ended at Virginia, just hours after it started, this is your whole season come Saturday.

Meanwhile, after Utah beats byu, we'll go back to our Pac 12 title run, with a Rose Bowl on the line.

And UNLIKE byu, our quest for a BCS bowl is very much alive!

Not to mention a power conference championship game!

You guys have nothing!

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 8:08 a.m.

byu fans are players are too emotional about this game. They want it so bad, more than Utah fans and players, that they'll end up self destructing with 60,000 watching at LES.

Remember 54-10?

We're you guys "favored" in that game too?

LOL! That worked out well didn't it!

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Sept. 19, 2013 8:13 a.m.

Sorry 2013 Ute guy, when you lose to OSU--a team that lost to a Division II school--your "quest for a BCS bowl" is no longer alive, your quest to win three games is more reasonable. Good luck on Saturday. Go Cougs!

• 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0 Ogden, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 8:21 a.m.

I wonder what it feels like to never beat your rival in your entire career?

LOL

Glad 2013 Ute seniors will never know!

But they did lose to our rival Colorado once, so we can sort of relate.

But we can't relate to losing 4 IN A ROW

• Uncle Rico Sandy, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 8:21 a.m.

After watching the OSU game, I am convinced that this is Utah's 'Bowl Game".
    Utah fans please respond. Another year in the basement for the men in red.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 8:30 a.m.

I think the last 3 years are a total abberition. This year we stop beating ourselves and win huge and they stop getting so dang lucky.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 8:31 a.m.

Rico,

After watching the OSU game I am convinced Utah is more than ready to handle byU. Be careful what you say about Utah being in the basement, because you can't beat us!

What's below the basement Rico? Your cougars have lived there the last 3 years!

And UNLIKE byu, our BCS Quest is alive and well. We have as good of a chance as anyone in the South of winning the South division.

Your "quest" ended in Virginia!

It actually would have been nice if you had beaten Virginia, then we personally could end your quest, just like we did last year.

And its another cougar QUEST OVER!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 8:33 a.m.

Rico,

Either Utah or UCLA is going to win the South division. The basement is having your season's quest over just hours after it started. Meanwhile our Quest is just beginning.

The winner of the Utah/UCLA game WILL win the Pac 12 South.

And its at RES!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 8:57 a.m.

@ Chris B:

Are you kidding me. Between your 2 online monikers, you've currently posted literally half of the comments. Your complete obsession with all things BYU is now completely exposed and undisputed. It's quite a complement to BYU that the person who thinks he's the Ute's number one fan actually pays more attention to BYU than to his own team.

In spite of your postings, you must be seriously worried and concerned about the upcoming game... as well you should be.

No one is currently 4-0 against the other, no matter what you or any other troll says, nor is it likely to ever get there. The game this year has NOT been played yet.

As such, none of BYU's seniors are likely to ever feel what it's like to go their careers knowing the feeling of not beating their rivals.

It's much more likely that Utah seniors will go their entire collegiate football careers without ever beating a conference team with a winning record! They are also likely to finish their last 2 years forgetting what it was like to play in a bowl game. Sad. Very sad!

• goforit Provo, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 9:07 a.m.

You fans are ridiculous. Neither team is great, both are barely above average. Utah fans think that they are top tier in the PAC 12. Oregon, Stanford and Washington are top three all from the north. Maybe the PAC 12 should rename their divisions A AND B. The North's fourth best team just beat the South's best team on the road. So no South team would finish in the top of the North. So quit thinking you have national revelence you don't.

BYU you might not even be bowl eligible this year, but you talk of how great your players are. You only have 4 or 5 elite players and you haven't had a significant win in many years.

Both fan bases grow up and be objective for once. Utah wins this week because they have the edge in the three most important categories. 1) Quarterback play. Taysom Hill is a running back playing quarterback. 2) Line play. Defensive lines are a wash, but Utah's o-line is better.3)Coaching Kyle knows exactly what to say to tilt the scales in his favor. He's done it again this year.

• The Solution Las Cruces, NM
    Sept. 19, 2013 9:17 a.m.

You will never know what it's like to lose to your rival 4x in a row, because you are an armchair fanatic--not a football player.

However, if you have been a U fan for very long then you do know what it is like for your team to lose to its rival 4x in a row. Let's face the real facts, not just the ones you guys like to skew:
    Y vs. U
    1970s: 7 - 3
    1980s: 9 - 1
    1990s: 5 - 5
    2000s: 5 - 5
    2010s: 0 - 3

After Saturday, this will change to 1-3, and the only stat that matters currently: KW 5 vs. BM 4.

The last time Utah "dominated" the rivalry was before 1970.

So quit trying to pretend that U are so dominant.

COUGS roll: 52 - 7

• PAC man Anaheim, CA
    Sept. 19, 2013 9:28 a.m.

Despite all of her shrill pontificating, it's obvious that christy is scared, very scared!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 9:50 a.m.

@ goforit:

OK. Let's be even more objective, as you mentioned. The reasons for you choosing Utah this year are mostly based on your opinion... not measurable objectivity... a lot like Chris B always does. Two facts from the real pros who do this sort of thing for a living:

Steve Sagarin uses multiple total objective criteria in his assessments... something that most fans (including you) don't. His computer rankings have BYU ranked 14 spots better than Utah. I give the nod to the Sagarin rankings over goforit's opinion. Advantage BYU.

Las Vegas oddsmakers, who make their living assessing competitions, have picked BYU to win the Utah game on Saturday by 7. Just about everyone will give more credence to what they say than what goforit says. I certainly do, too. Advantage again to BYU.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 9:52 a.m.

TheSolution,

After all, you're claiming 45 point win right?

Is that because you're jealous of Utah's 44 point win just 2 years ago?

Man what a shellacking that was.

Both on the field and in the egos in Provo.

And yet somehow you still think you are a national powerhouse program.

Utah has a better chance of winning by 9,000 than byu does by 45

Or even 21 for that matter

• shorts Payson, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 9:52 a.m.

Re Chris B
    When you said "Ute seniors will sweep the byu seniors 4-0 in the careers.

Utah 30
    byu 14

Mark it Down

I won't post on byu articles all year if byu wins."

Does this include all your online monikers? You said "I won't" not chris B won't.

I'm also looking forward to you singing the Cougar fight song and posting it on youtube.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 19, 2013 10:11 a.m.

@ Chris B, ChristopherB, 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP byU 4-0, Hedgehog and a couple other monikers U use - I'm curious, U said you would not respond to a BYU article for one year if / when U lose on Saturday. Does this include all your monikers or just one?

Utah's offense is a little better than I thought it'd be, but the defense is the worst I've seen in a decade at the U. Williams, Hill, Hoffman and others are going to have a blast.

I also disagree that this game is more important to BYU. This year, I think this game will be the difference between Utah going 6-6 with an invite to the esteemed New Mexico Bowl or going 5-7 and staying home again in December.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Tators,

Wasn't byu favored to win before the 54-10 game?

That went well for ya didn't it?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 19, 2013 10:33 a.m.

@CougfaninTexas

You talk as if a bowl game is a given for BYU; far from it. Nor it is for Utah. This game could be very critical for either team to be bowl eligiable. I wish that wasn't the case, but looking at the schedules, it's not like either Utah or BYU will win 8-9 games.

• diddy Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 19, 2013 10:50 a.m.

After reading these posts I'm convinced there are two people posting in this forum. I'm sure they sit across from each other in a cubicle farm.

• Uteanymous Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 19, 2013 10:50 a.m.

christy,

Wasn't Utah favored to win before the 0-27 UNLV game?

Wasn't Utah favored to win before the 7-47 TCU game?

Wasn't Utah favored to win before the 14-17 Colorado game?

Wasn't Utah favored to win before the 48-51 Oregon St game?

Those went well didn't they?

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 11:42 a.m.

@ Chris B:

Yes, there are exceptions to everything... especially if you go back years ago to find one, as you did. That's why they play the game. But if someone chooses to make decisions and places their bets based on exceptions, they are indeed foolish. So which is it with you? The vast majority of the time, the professional oddsmakers are correct. That's how and why they stay in business. And they have knowledgeably picked BYU on this one.

By stating you will forever never post on anymore BYU articles if BYU wins by 21 or more, you've finally said something else worth your "mark it down" thing that you like saying so often. (Your "mark it down" predictions haven't been going so well the past few weeks).
    The only other times I actually did "mark it down" was when you promised not to post for a year after BYU wins on Saturday, and also when you said you were wrong after the Texas game. That was a first and so something worth noting.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 19, 2013 11:51 a.m.

@diddy

Nicely done, too funny!......and probably correct.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Sept. 19, 2013 11:52 a.m.

Re: Chris B.

"If BYU wins by more than 21 I wont post on another byu article the rest of my life."

This might be the single best post I've ever read on the DNews discussion boards. I hope you mean it. Go Cougs!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 12:15 p.m.

Cougfan and shorts,

I wont post with any moniker, although I will add Hedgehog is not me. I have never tried to hide that 2013 Ute Seniors SWEEP is me. I created it to further laugh at your terrible football team, not to hide who I am. I would have no reason to deny I am Hedgehog as I could simply create another new moniker if I truly wanted to not follow up on my promise. Hedgehog actually started posting well before I did, although in the last year or so he has greatly slowed down. I wont post with any moniker on a byu article IF they lose.

But remember I made the same promise last year. And the year before. And the year before.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 12:16 p.m.

Uteaanymous,

And yet this is the Utah byu game isn't it?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 19, 2013 12:38 p.m.

Uteanymous always forgets the BYU games, now that's curious? I guess if his team can't beat the Utes, he has to jump on another's band wagon. How sad and pathetic!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 12:50 p.m.

@ Chris:

I genuinely admire your truthfulness in coming out with an admission that you have been using other online monikers.

By the way, as much as I banter with you on sports articles, I do very much agree with you the vast majority of the time regarding your comments on politics and other non-sports related articles.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 1:03 p.m.

@ Spokane Ute:

Uteanymous simply pointed out some valid and very good examples showing that Utah also loses games they are favored in... just like Chris said he thinks will happen to BYU on Saturday. There's absolutely nothing sad or pathetic about that. It's actually more like that when you can't acknowledge an opposing fan for doing some good, valid research. Trying to belittle someone for simply pointing out verifiable facts makes that person seem pugnacious. And if the hat fits...

BYW: Thanks for that info, Uteanymous. It is actually quite interesting.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Sept. 19, 2013 1:22 p.m.

RE: Chris B.

"I'll hope you two will be men enough to come on here and admit Utah owns byu on the field, having completed the 4-0 SWEEP? And to admit I was right yet again?"

I assume you are including me as one of those two, since "cougfan" or something that resembles that is part of my moniker (truly, I don't understand the need for trolls to misspell names).

I'll gladly eat crow if BYU loses, I'm expecting a close game but hoping for a blowout (benefiting the Cougs this time). However, I don't have to wait until then to admit that Utah has "owned" BYU for the last decade. That's a fact, the head-to-head speaks to it. I don't believe that means Utah has the better team or program (definitely debatable for fans on both sides) but they certainly do have BYU's number.

Like Tators, I appreciate you being forthright about your monikers, and while I don't always agree with you on non-BYU related issues/articles you are certainly more civil in those discussions. Cheers.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 1:26 p.m.

Sometime I rolled my eyes when I hear some key players saying "We are going to beat U" or something like that. Chad Lewis learned his lesson and on his senior year he decided to keep his mouth shut and he won that game. I hope this is not an omen and hope both of you KVN and Cody Hoffman win this one.

Go Cougars!

• The Solution Las Cruces, NM
    Sept. 19, 2013 2:24 p.m.

Chris,

Yes I am jealous of the 54-10 meltdown, who wouldn't be? It ticks me off every time I think of it, and every time one of U fans bring it up again. It does hurt. Congratulations. That's one of the main reasons we all care so much about this game this time around. And I think U have to admit that BYU, both players and fanbase, are showing that we care much more this time than we have in the last few decades. Revenge is on our mind.

You won't believe this, but I did call BYU beating Texas, when I read posts about taking out a second mortgage to make easy money on that game betting against the spread. I under called it, because I thought TX's offense would be more effective, totally underestimating how amazing our defense is this year... just like U.

I truely believe that BYU WILL win by that margin, knowing odds would say it will be another close one. It is worth it if you won't post on another BYU article the rest of your life!

Go COUGS!!!

• The Solution Las Cruces, NM
    Sept. 19, 2013 2:35 p.m.

Chris, I will readily admit Utah's had BYU's number lately, and even say they have indeed had the better decade of football. I don't usually talk much trash on these, and I'm not one to flaunt the national championship over Utah's 2 BCS games. Fact is, Utah didn't get a fair shake and we don't know, but they could've beat Florida and been the real national champs that year--I tend to lean that way myself. I was a Utah fan that day.

Nowadays, I've grown weary of Ute fans than are in our face and I am sick of BYU losing to the U. I can't stand Urban Meyer who started the mean-spiritedness of this rivalry, I couldn't stand Florida when he was there, and now that I live in OSU country, I can't stand them.

And I can't stand arrogant Ute fans who think their program is superior due to the PAC invite. I honestly hope BYU never has to join a conference again, because I love independence, BYUtv, and being featured on ESPN.

GO COUGS!!!

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 5:28 p.m.

Uteanymous
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    christy,

Wasn't Utah favored to win before the 7-47 TCU game?

--------------

No. TCU was favored by about a touchdown.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 19, 2013 5:35 p.m.

The Solution
    Las Cruces, NM

----------

Don't kid yourself. If the Big XII called tonight and asked, you would burn LES down if BYU didn't accept.

Just think of all those CONFERENCE GAMES you would see at LES on a yearly basis:

-Oklahoma
    -Oklahoma State
    -Texas
    -TCU
    -Kansas State
    -Baylor
    -Texas Tech

...with conference titles to play for. BYU Big XII champs. Don't that sound good?

AND think of the instant playoff tie-in the Big XII would receive for the playoff format.

Versus... more of the same BYU has seen over the last three seasons? Still mid-major status, no national respect, crappy bowl ties, and no access to the highest levels of CFB. With a bonus slate of Idaho State, Weber Tech, Middle Tennessee, and San Jose state in November.

If you deny you'd take a Big XII spot you're lying through your teeth.

• Just the FAX Olympus Cove, Utah
    Sept. 19, 2013 10:11 p.m.

TR

LOL at your hyperbole.

Don't kid yourself, though. Slapping a PAC 12 sticker on your helmets hasn't changed anything. Until the Utes actually accomplish something in the PAC 12, the Utes will remain nothing more than a mid-major punching bag for the real big boys of the conference.