Utah

PETA plans 'payback' billboard after elk hunter is gored

Comments

• Aggielove Cache county, USA
    Sept. 16, 2013 8:22 p.m.

Foul language on a billboard in Utah?
    I guess PETA has a foul mouth.

• Newspaper Reader Highland, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 8:30 p.m.

PETA is such a joke.

• sprywolf Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 10:16 p.m.

I think th caption to "leave them alone" is funny. Are they going to prevent the wolf packs, cougars, bears and other animals to leave the Elk alone too. I also think peta is a joke.

• Kings Court Alpine, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 10:19 p.m.

I love to see free speech in action. This is what America is all about. Love it!

• joseywales Park City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 10:25 p.m.

Kings court- Me too! unfortunately, on this site I can't practice free speech. I want to say something that I know without a doubt would be censored and not posted. So enjoy "free" speech on here all you want.

• JohnJacobJingleHeimerSchmidt Beverly Hills, CA
    Sept. 16, 2013 10:29 p.m.

Every time PETA does something, I eat a big juicy steak or two.

• bw00ds Tucson, AZ
    Sept. 16, 2013 10:52 p.m.

The "dangers" of hunting? Yes, please do be careful when you are rolling your trophy elk over. That's SO dangerous. Is PETA trying to win people over to their cause by doing such ridiculous messages? If so, they are so misguided. And wait a minute--how are we supposed to resolve "going to the grocery store" like they say with not buying and consuming hormone-laden meat and GMO grains? I thought that meat in the grocery stores come from animal abusing farms. Showing the usual hypocrisy and mixed messaging, I see.

• VickieB SLC, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 11:10 p.m.

This is why Peta has lost mid America. Sometimes they do good, then they mess up with things like these.

Is it better for man to manage the herds and put the meat to use, or let nature do it. Nature is more cruel.

• Daniel Leifker San Francisco, CA
    Sept. 16, 2013 11:27 p.m.

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 12:21 a.m.

PETA values animal life over human life. Any group or person that capitalizes on human tragedy or suffering is reprehensible.

• Kickit023 Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 12:29 a.m.

I'm a member of PETA. People Eating Tasty Animals. Oh, what? we're talking about the other PETA my bad. I thought he was kind of lame in Hunger Games.

• earthquakejake Logan, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 12:51 a.m.

I do not respect PETA nor anyone who supports PETA.

• BluedevilUte PAYSON, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 2:22 a.m.

I was debating on hunting this year, now I am definitely going! I need nature's purest protein! Thanks PETA for reminding me how awesome hunting is.

• WRK Riverton, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:37 a.m.

I love PETA. Doesn't it stand for People Eat Tasty Animals?

• Baron Scarpia Logan, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 6:00 a.m.

Didn't Sarah Palin advocate shooting your prey from helicopters? There are ways to stay safe while hunting.

• Rynn Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 17, 2013 6:04 a.m.

I'm all for treating animals humanely and I'm not a fan of hunting, but making that billboard is inappropriate.

I do like some of the things that PETA does (such as when they donate doghouses to backyard dogs that don't have one), but other times they are just too extreme.

Celebrating a person getting hurt does nothing to help the animals, it only hurts the cause of animal rights.

• raybies Layton, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 6:43 a.m.

Just another group of people putting their agenda above their humanity.

• OnlyInUtah Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 6:47 a.m.

"People should enjoy nature by hiking and get their food at the grocery store." Since the meat from the grocery store is there by humane processes.

PETA- go enjoy nature in your way and let the sportsmen enjoy it in theirs.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 7:24 a.m.

I love PETA, they taste like chicken!

• Arm of Orion Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 7:30 a.m.

Good ole PETA and another newgrabbing marketing stunt. Reminds me of a few years ago when they protested the Pokemon games because they teach animal cruelty, they don't btw. Have fun out there hunters!

• WRK Riverton, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 7:40 a.m.

@Daniel Leifker
    And the meat in your cat food got there in a very humane way.

• Shimlau SAINT GEORGE, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 8:09 a.m.

@Daniel Leifker
    Maybe you can train your cat to be a vegetarian.

• davidmpark Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 8:23 a.m.

So, this is how PETA plans to win friends and influence people? Scared to see how they'd throw a banquet.

• common twit Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 9:16 a.m.

These PETA people make me laugh. Their putting a billboard up in Vernal is like putting a common sense billboard in Washington D.C. Nobody is going to care or change.

While you are at it, PETA, why don't you go hold a rally against leather at Sturgis?

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 9:38 a.m.

Daniel Leifker
    San Francisco, CA
    No one is advocating that animals not be treated ethically. Is dying by starvation, being killed by a cougar or being hit by a car more ethical than hunting? Does not eating meat make you more ethical than your cat?

• jpjazz Sandy, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 9:56 a.m.

While I'm guessing PETA didn't intend it as such, I find the billboard humorous in a macabre kind of way. Let’s hope they bring out many more like it!

• Spider Rico Greeley, CO
    Sept. 17, 2013 10:03 a.m.

I'm not a hunter, but I'm not against hunting. I am against poaching though. Now that that is out of the way - Hahahaha silly PETA! And I can't help but notice the one commenter who seems to support PETA so far is from SF. Priceless

• InspectorC Wasatch Front, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 10:40 a.m.

Daniel Leifker -- 11:27 p.m. 9-16-13, wrote:

"PETA does some odd things now and then, but I don't see anything wrong with advocating ethical treatment of animals. The only meat in my house is in my cat's food."

ROFLOL!! What an ironic statement! So, it's ok to use one type of animal to feed another kind of animal (your cat)? But no other meat is allowed in your house? How do you reconcile that incongruity within your mind??

• DEW Sandy, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 10:48 a.m.

So you want me to catch those trouts at the store. I don't think so, I love the outdoors and same for many other people who enjoyed hunting. Who is "PETA"?

• BU52 Provo, ut
    Sept. 17, 2013 10:54 a.m.

I wonder how many bullet holes the billboard will have in it by the end of the week?

• Vince Ballard South Ogden, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 11:12 a.m.

First they tell us hunting is cruel to the animals. Now they tell us it is dangerous for the hunter? Well . . .whatever.

• Conservative Cedar City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 11:32 a.m.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and the National Rifle Association are polarizing groups that vilify anyone that challenges their agendas. No doubt they both have some common-sense ideas. But, they are both extremist-oriented. The animals (and people) would be better off without either of these nutty groups. Temperance in all things!

• dale richards Green River, Utah
    Sept. 17, 2013 12:10 p.m.

PETA should take a hard look at
    brutal killings they do to
    domestic animals before attacking
    hunters.

• J-TX Allen, TX
    Sept. 17, 2013 12:13 p.m.

I thought about PETA while I was landing that nice striped bass last evening....NOT.

I think it's funny that they spend their money in ways that will absolutely NOT make a difference. I think they should commission an enormous floating buoy for $7.5M, set it out in the middle of the Pacific with billboards on it in Japanese, deriding whaling.

How do you make a Japanese whaler laugh....?

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 17, 2013 1:22 p.m.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them so easy to cover with steak sauce.

• Just an Observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 1:23 p.m.

I have no interest in hunting myself, but I will defend to the end another person's right to do it, as long as it is for food rather than simply for sport. Raising a cow/pig/chicken to slaughter for food is different from going out to hunt in what way? And if we're concerned about cruelty to animals, it seems the ones being hunted in the wild live a lot better life than do a great many of those that end up in the store through volume meat production.

• Evets Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 1:40 p.m.

"People should enjoy nature by hiking and get their food at the grocery store." There lies the problem. PETA thinks it is more humane to have someone else do the killing of meat animal. To many people now days are out of touch with where our food comes from. They have never had to gather food or kill an animal for food. EVERYTHING we eat represents some type of sacrifice in life or work. I am of the opinion that all of us should experience providing their own food at some point in there life. We raise as much of our food and and meat as possible. NOTHING goes to waste. I feel if others did the same we would waste very little food.

• hermounts Pleasanton, CA
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:31 p.m.

I say shame on PETA for celebrating the death of a human being! the animals don't know and don't care what PETA is supposedly trying to do for them!

• NedGrimley Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 4:33 p.m.

Oh the DN commontaters.... (purposeful misspelling) Amazes me the things they allow and the things they block. Really??

OK I'll re-phrase. From the article: "We hope that our billboard will help prevent future accidents like this one..." Still laughing at the silliness of that statement.

• trueblue75 USA, NC
    Sept. 17, 2013 8:25 p.m.

PETA needs to start opening their eyes at the tragedy of over population in the herds of deer, flocks of geese, packs of wolves and the list goes on and on. AND yes people enjoy eating a good elk steak!!!! A balance in all things is very important and PETA is fanatically rediculous!!!

• paper rose vernal, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 1:27 p.m.

Peta members, need to rethink life, everything you eat, is a living thing!! Read the bible "plants and animals were put here on earth for man as food". So this BEING said does Peta member put themselves above "GOD" If so I guess they can eat their own words "PAY BACKS ARE H E L L"

• paper rose vernal, UT
    Sept. 25, 2013 1:33 p.m.

Peta members, need to rethink life. everything you eat, is a living thing!! Read the bible "plants and animals were put here on earth for man as food". So this BEING said does Peta member put themselves above "GOD" If so I guess they can eat their own words "PAY BACKS ARE H E L L"