Kansas Football: How former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps fared against Rice

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 12:05 p.m.

Unfortunately for Heaps he left a bad team to be on another bad team.

Fortunately Heaps, he left poor coaching to good coaching with Weis.

I wish Jake Heaps best of luck in a good Big 12 Conference

Sincererly,

Fellow Power Conference member University of Utah Utes

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Sept. 16, 2013 12:15 p.m.

Not much of a team, but good to see Jake playing. Coach Weis isn't going to get the most out of Jake but at least he is starting in a BCS conference so he gets to have that logo on his jersey and as our little brothers to the north would say that is what is most important.

• royalblue Alpine, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 12:26 p.m.

USA Today re-ranking the teams after week #3:

34. Brigham Young (1-1, 0-0)
    53. Utah (2-1, 0-1)
    54. Utah State (2-1, 1-0)

• bslack Draper, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 12:30 p.m.

What a silly comment by Chris B. I guess your hatred continues to flow. I think BYU didn't handle Jake very well from the start. I do hope Coach Weis is able to get more out of Jake, but it took leaving for Jake to grow up and take responsibility for his preparation and leadership. I hope Jake has a good career, but it doesn't appear he is as good as he and his Father thought.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 12:32 p.m.

royalblue,

If I remember right, byu was favored 2 years ago in Provo.

And what was the final score?

Utah 54
    byu 10

LOL!

• royalblue Alpine, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 12:40 p.m.

You've obviously conveniently forgotten that Utah was supposed to have an EASY win over OSU last week.

And what was the final score?

OSU 51
    Utah 48

LOL!

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 12:40 p.m.

@Chris B

Thanks for the laugh!

Sometimes I wonder if you really are a BYU fan just trying to make U fans look foolish. Kind of like Ernest T Bass, Mildred in Fillmore etc. attempt to do on the other side of the rivalry.

Let me see if I understand your logic... Since both BYU and Kansas are bad and based on some of your other posts about Hill I suspect that you are planning on Kansas beating Texas by more than 19 pts. There are many people including myself that would take that bet.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 1:04 p.m.

1978,

I re-read my posts and I've commented that Kansas is bad. I've also stated Texas is bad, which all experts seem to agree with, since the focus of the byu/texas game has all been about how bad texas is, not how good byu is.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 16, 2013 1:17 p.m.

Chris B, welcome back. I wondered if you were going to show up again. I see you are completely absent from the Utah boards. I wonder why that is. I marked down all your Rose Bowl aspirations. Here is some advice, go be a Ute fan, just leave BYU fans alone and people will leave you alone.

Go Cougars!
    Mormons for Devils!

• Cool Cat Cosmo Payson, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 1:23 p.m.

@ 1978

I know, right? Chris B. seems to come up with the most ludicrous sport's logic that you really have to wonder what his (or her...?) motives are.

Either way, this game should prove to be tough. Could it end up being a blowout? Perhaps...but I won't venture to guess who blows out who. BYU has the tools to get it done, but Utah does too...and both have lingering problems that might cause issues. Should be a good game!

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 1:43 p.m.

@ Chris B:

There is one thing that you have an extremely hard time understanding. It's not enough just to be in a good conference. A team also has to win some of their conference games to get respect. Otherwise, they are just looked at as gimme games by the most of the other teams in their conference. And right now, Kansas in their conference is somewhat the equivalent to Utah in theirs. They haven't earned much respect lately either.

Also, the more you bad-mouth how bad you think BYU is, the worse it's going to make you look to others after Utah most likely loses to them on Saturday. You may want to be a little bit more careful to not continue setting yourself up so badly for a really significant fall.

It's doubtful Utah is any better than Texas is. Apparently you've got a short memory of what happened to Texas in Provo just 9 days ago. Texas has their own Chris B type of guy who has been eating crow ever since. And he admitted online yesterday that it doesn't taste very good... something you may soon also find out.

• NevadaCoug Overton, NV
    Sept. 16, 2013 1:43 p.m.

I suppose a lot of people are are going to have their eyes on Heaps this season:
    1) His family and friends who just want to see him succeed.
    2) The Anti-BYU crowd, who want to see Heaps put up stellar numbers so they can yell "see, I told you so" from the tops of the mountains
    3) The Anti-Heaps crowd that want to see him fail so they can say "see, I told you so".
    4) Those who felt that Heaps really did play himself out of the starting job, and that there was no conspiracy to run him out of town. These are they who wish he could have stayed in Provo and proven himself there, but recognize that sometimes guys just need a change of scenery.

It looks like he's still struggling. But hopefully he figures it out with the help of his new coaches.

• So. Cal Reader San Diego, CA
    Sept. 16, 2013 3:01 p.m.

Too funny. "For the night, Heaps completed just 13 of 28 passes for 157 yards and one touchdown while throwing two interceptions. Heaps also registered 11 carries for -26 yards (including sacks) and a touchdown. Although the Jayhawks lost, Heaps looked better than his stats showed as a passer." The guy completes only 46% of his attempts, but he "looked better than his stats." Glad to see that Heaps is taking advantage of his "potential" tag and tearing things up in the midwest!!

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 3:09 p.m.

Wusup Jay! Thanks for the article and hope to hear your take on more upcoming football and basketball games.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 3:16 p.m.

Chris B - I always look for your posts first. They create the comic relief.

Then I read the other ute posters. They reflect the fantasy and dreams of the delusional.

Then I read the rest of the posts. They reflect the reality of sports in Utah.

• Robert Rexburg, ID
    Sept. 16, 2013 4:26 p.m.

Sounds like the same old Heaps. It's good for BYU that he's gone.

• el guapito Provo, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 4:31 p.m.

U of U preparing for their bowl game to be played this week. Too bad they won't be playing in a bowl game in December or January.

• CougFaninTX Frisco, TX
    Sept. 16, 2013 4:35 p.m.

Here's some logic for U

BYU beat a highly ranked Texas team, who may not be as good as we thought because Texas also lost to a 3-0 Ole Miss team who is now ranked in the Top 25. Don't consider the fact that Texas was playing with their back-up QB, and there is a big step down from Ash to McCoy. Texas will finish in the top half of the Big 12.

Utah lost to pre-season highly ranked Oregon St team, who also lost to an FCS school. In fact, Utah didn't even score as many points against the woeful Oregon St defense and the FCS team team. Oregon St will finish in the bottom half of the PAC.

Translation - BYU's win over Texas is still a big win. Utah's loss to Oregon St is an anvil and almost assures Utah of a losing season.

• 1978 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 4:43 p.m.

@Chris B

"I'm not sure how you think you know what I would guess about a Texas/Kansas game?"

Fair Enough. This is how it works. BYU beat Texas by 19 points. You believe that Kansas, BYU and Texas are all bad. You also believe that Heaps is a better quarterback than Hill.

Therefore, according to your logic, if Kansas has the better quarterback then Kansas must be better than BYU and will therefore beat Texas farther than BYU did.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 16, 2013 5:14 p.m.

@CougfaninTexas,

Ummm, Texas is ranked #43, just behind Oregon St #41 and Utah State #42. I guess the term "highly ranked", is highly subjective. Sorry Guy, it's not a big win; Texas will lose 5-6 games this year, just look at there schedule.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 5:24 p.m.

Chris B

"Fellow Power Conference bottom-feeder University of Utah Utes"

There. Fixed it for you.

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 5:33 p.m.

1978:

"Sometimes I wonder if you really are a BYU fan just trying to make U fans look foolish."

I sometimes think the same thing; Chris B's statements are just too outlandish to be sincere. Then again, Ute fans are known for their delusions.

As for Heaps, I do not think he is overrated nor do I think Bronco mismanaged him. He was lacking in maturity at BYU and alienated some of the team, and it was probably in everyone's best interests that he move on and get a fresh start. Overall, he didn't play that poorly when he was here.

The fact Kansas stinks is not necessarily the fault of Heaps; after all, this team did go 1-11 last year and is probably several years away from being competitive again. He was surrounded by a lot more talent when he was at BYU.

• MR Draper, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 5:43 p.m.

"Although the Jayhawks lost, Heaps looked better than his stats showed as a passer..."

Didn't 77 yards of his 157 yards of passing come from one 8 yard pass play where the receiver broke a tackle? -26 yards rushing, 2 INT including a pick 6?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2013 7:24 p.m.

1978,

Just as I expected, your "logic" was poor, to be kind about it.

You do realize there are more players than just the QB's right?

Please tell me you dont think a game is entirely one QB against the other QB right?

• sg newhall, CA
    Sept. 16, 2013 10:12 p.m.

Sorry, but BYU did all it could do with Heaps. Heaps turned out to be nothing short of an egomaniac. Who sets up his own press conference to announce his arrival? The problem with Heaps was he couldn't deliver. I wish him well at Kansas, but he will never be drafted into the NFL. He's an average QB who thinks he's Joe Montana calibre. He's not.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 12:05 a.m.

Too bad for Jake Heaps. Sometimes things just don't pan out at the next level.

Unfortunately for Juice Quezada, he also doesn't even have 100 yards rushing through two games at Fresno State. It looks like BYU isn't really missing either of these players as far as on the field play. He wasn't even averaging two yards per carry his sophomore season at BYU. Hopefully things are going okay for him off the field.

• Jeff29 Draper, UT
    Sept. 17, 2013 12:43 a.m.

@ChrisB,

I have to agree with you that there are more players than the QB and that the game is not entirely one QB against another. The problem is, most of the comments I have seen from you about BYU players focus solely on their QB. Of course if I were you I wouldn't really want to think about many other players at BYU

But lest you think we BYU fans only focus on the QB: BYU has the best receiver in the state, the best running back in the state, the best linebacker (and linebacking corps) in the state, and likely the best D-line in the state.

The only way Utah even has a prayer in this game is if Wilson plays absolutely out of his mind, and BYU's defense somehow completely tanks (something that hasn't happened since 2011).

I anxiously await your prediction of the score so that I can mark it down. I also anxiously await you keeping your commitment to stop commenting on BYU articles after BYU wins (although I must admit that a small part of me will miss the entertainment).

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Sept. 17, 2013 9:31 a.m.

You do realize there are more players than just the QB's right?

----

But, shouldn't Kansas and their "BCS" players be a better fit for a 5 star recruit like Heaps?

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    Sept. 17, 2013 2:15 p.m.

@Tators, the major difference between Kansas and other cellar dwellers in the major conferences is that the school usually has something else to offer the conference. Kansas may not have a good football team, but their basketball team more than pulls their weight (kinda like Indiana, Duke, etc). Even in cases where the athletics are all around poor, the academic side rises to the occasion (i.e., Vanderbilt, Stanford in earlier years, Baylor, etc). I'm still trying to figure out what the U offers the PAC12 other than an extra win and a ghostlike atmosphere for basketball games. Even more curious is how ChrisB and folks somehow think they legitimately belong with the big boys.

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    Sept. 17, 2013 2:16 p.m.

@Spokane Ute-if my math holds true, a two-loss Texas team is still ranked 10 spots ahead of Utah-what does that say about your team?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 17, 2013 2:54 p.m.

It says we are 2-3 weeks into the season; and shouldn't have lost to OSU. We will find out a lot more about Utah in the next 2-3 games. I'm hoping for the best, but not expecting a whole lot. I hope that helps. While we are asking questions, what does losing to #62 Virginia say about your team? BYU and Utah are average at best, and that stinks!