Utah Utes football: Talented Utah defensive line charged with getting to Oregon State QB Sean Mannion

Comments

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:55 p.m.

I'm a Ute fan, but I wouldn't call Utah's defensive front talented... at least not yet. They still have much to prove. Other than Palepoi another DT has not really proved himself. I think Sam Tevi shows promise.

The jury is still out on this D Line. I hope it shows us that it is a talented front.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 11, 2013 5:16 p.m.

Nice, level headed thinking on the d-line.

Can't wait for Saturday!

Go Utes!!

• Ken Sandy, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 6:08 p.m.

I just don't see us losing this game. The offense is clicking, the defense is solid. Oregon state lost to a division II team. I think the only way we lose this game is if we have a negative 3 in the turnover margin, which is unlikely. Anything is possible I guess, but I think this is a win all day long.

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 6:13 p.m.

I disagree RBN. Through the first two games, Nate Orchard is right up there with Palepoi as our best DL and I think Heimuli has also been playing well in his minutes.

Trevor Reilly isn't the clear-cut best line player that I expected him to be but I think that has more to do with how well the others are playing rather than Reilly not living up to expectations. Plus he is stretched out a little with having to play all over the field.

With Palepoi, Orchard, and Reilly as All PAC-12 caliber players and Heimuli, Tevi, Tuipulotu and the others providing depth, I see this line as being potentially as good as any we've ever had. But I think you're right when you say they still have much to prove but I'm still encouraged by how well they played against USU.

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 7:29 a.m.

"Talented Utah defensive line charged with getting to Oregon State QB Sean Mannion"

Shouldn't be a problem. OSU's OL has been decimated by injuries/illness. The Beavers only have 7 healthy offensive linemen available, most of them backups when the season began.

Forget OSU's preseason top 25 ranking; there's no excuse for the Utes not dominating a team that couldn't even handle Eastern Washington.

• u25 West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 8:18 a.m.

I think this is the best defensive line Utah has ever had, and definately the deepest.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 8:23 a.m.

UoU1991 is right, this OSU OL is in shambles. We're going to wipe the floor with the Beavers this Saturday.

We'll soon be 4-0 with a top 25 ranking, and well on our way to 8-4 or 9-3.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 10:42 a.m.

I disagree with RBN as well. Orchard has been tearing it up right along with Palepoi. Riley is a freaking stud, and they will continue to call his name many times over throughout each game.

Thank goodness Coach Whit has continued to produce talented defensive fronts. Now that Wilson and Co. are showing that the offense can score, things are looking more like a 1-2 punch. I'm excited for their potential moving forward in the PAC-12!

Go Utes!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 10:45 a.m.

The defensive line is not the best the Utes have ever had. It's not as good as last year's, and last year's was not the best we've had. The best I've seen was the 2004 team. That front had as much to do with 12-0 in dominating fashion as the high octane offense did. Pouha, Fifita and Fanene were all not just NFL players, but solid starters for several years, and Ledbetter and Burnett were no slouches bookending the opposite side of Fanene, either. This year's line is good and has good depth, but isn't in the same ballpark as that starting line.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 12, 2013 11:31 a.m.

This defensive line is good, how good? Let's not rush to judge, we are two games into the season. HUGE game Saturday.

GO UTES

• TFUDD SLC, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 11:35 a.m.

@ Samurai Jake

Nate Orchard has played well but he's far from "Tearing it up"! Everyone played well against Weber State BUT of course they did, it's Weber Sate. Against USU he missed out on quite a few tackles/TFL/Sacks. His overall stats have been pretty good but if he was "tearing it up" like u say then his stats would be shining just a bit more.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 12:37 p.m.

@TFUDD:

"Utah's defensive front brings some impressive credentials into the contest. Senior tackle Tenny Palepoi and Orchard are tied for the conference lead with 3 1/2 tackles for loss."

What game were you watching? Orchard was one of the reasons the Utes beat USU, even the commentators said so. Besides, the Utes are 2-0, looking to go 3-0, and things are improving each game. Remember: when you think about it, the glass is always 100% full!

Go Utes!

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 12:49 p.m.

I would not get to confident Ute fans. To read some of these comments, it is apparent, not many even know who EW is, the team who beat OSU. So they are an FCS team, Div II to others who do not know that was changed. They have a wining tradition there, they average roughly 30 to 40 points per game and it does not matter if they are playing an FCS or FBS school. OSU is injured, but this will be no walk in the park for the Utes. EW could compete and probably get bowl eligible if they played in a FBS conference. So just because they beat Oregon State, it does not make Oregon State a bad team. I say OSU puts up, 20+ points.

Doesn't mean I am right, but I hope so. Oregon State 24 Utah 17

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 3:09 p.m.

Bruin, if you're going to play semantics, FCS is formerly Div-I AA, Div-II is the classification below that.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 12, 2013 5:39 p.m.

Do you want me to remind you how many lineman from Utah are in the NFL? So why the poor win loss record of last year?

In fact, has Bronco gotten even a single lineman drafted in the NFL draft, yet his cougars win more games than the utes?

Utah's walk ons could handle BYU's line. Even Ziggy last year. And likely they will after the game is out of reach for BYU in 2 weeks.

Remember 54-10? Pride precedes the fall.

• Proud Ute ,
    Sept. 12, 2013 5:48 p.m.

Is Blechen playing?
    Not one comment mentioning him so far.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 12, 2013 10:01 p.m.

@RBN

I do agree that the defense still has much to prove but Utah's defense did show signs of being good, in the 2nd half after being down 14-23 against Utah State holding them to 85 yards and 3 points. Before that point I thought Utah looked horrible, both offense and defense.

So if Utah's defense continues to play like they did in the 2nd half against USU then look for a big win over Oregon State.

Go UTES!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 9:21 a.m.

Proud Ute, the Trib reported a couple weeks ago that Blechen had surgery. If it's the procedure I'm thinking it is, it usually means a 3-6 week rehab before considering return to play.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 10:15 a.m.

@StGtoSLC

There is not more DII, you have to understand the changes. Regardless, this is why I don't like Utah fans, you quiver at the small things. May the Beavers go big tomorrow. GO BEAVERS!

• utahcountyute Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 12:45 p.m.

Worf

So are you saying that the cougs have a pride issue? I would tend to agree.

Blocked!
    54-10
    Doink!

Go Utes!

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 4:43 p.m.

As a Ute fan I think the Utes pull out a win but I don't know why many think we will dominate the Beavers. This is a team that won 9 games last year and has some good talent on it. I think Mannion will be able to throw on our secondary and just because their O-Line has issues doesn't mean it will automatically be bad this game. In fact, look what happened when BYU re-shuffled their O-Line against Texas. BUt like I said, I think the Utes win but by a close margin. I also think we haven't seen Utah play to their full potential which excites me as a fan. Go Utes!

• steeleute Sandy, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 4:45 p.m.

worf:
    The win-loss record last year was not a reflection of our Defense but a reflection of how bad our Offense was. But don't forget that even in a down year for Utah we still beat BYU ; )

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 9:29 p.m.

Truth be told, Reilly has looked much better than Orchard. I'm more concerned about that second defensive tackle and I'd like to have a third DT that is also effective. So far, I haven't seen it.

Additionally, our D ends had a lot of trouble last year with the read option. That could be a problem for the Utes. But, first things first. Beat the Beavers!

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 14, 2013 6:43 a.m.

Bruin: "There is not more DII, you have to understand the changes. Regardless, this is why I don't like Utah fans, you quiver at the small things."

I assume you meant "no more DII," and yes, there is a Division-II in NCAA, Dixie State University is a member. And you just proved yourself to be the same type of person as the Utah fans you "don't like", "quivering at the small things." You were the one that brought the distinction up, although you were wrong about it.

• Thriller Saint George, UT
    Sept. 14, 2013 12:37 p.m.

Checkmate to StG.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 15, 2013 1:16 a.m.

The jury is no longer out. The U's defensive line is mediocre at best. The loss of Joe Krueger has hit the Utes hard. Orchard was a flop tonight. Reilly was predictably tough. The others just weren't good enough. And that was against a depleted offensive line.