Utah football: Highland's Pita Tonga commits to the Utes

Comments

• StGtoSLC SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 3:30 a.m.

Congrats, Pita!

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 7:46 a.m.

A very nice addition to our team. It's very impressive, considering he chose Utah over Oregon, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

Welcome to Ute Nation, Pita!

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 11:11 a.m.

Pita's comment "I can't even remember anytime in my life when I didn't dream of playing for the Utes" can't be true since we have been told by BYU "fans" that BYU has the only recruits that dream of playing for them and that no one dreams of playing for Utah or USU.

• Stringer Bell Henderson, NV
    Sept. 11, 2013 11:17 a.m.

Welcome to the Utes!

• Mormon Ute Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 11:39 a.m.

Some time ago a guy who calls himself Duckhunter said no kid grows up wanting to go to Utah. Duckhunter claimed Utah was always a second choice if other schools didn't make offers. It seems like this kid proves that wrong. Way to go Pita!!

• hamrdown OREM, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 12:54 p.m.

BYU fan complimenting the Utes on their commit. Congrats!

• runnerguy50 Virginia Beach, Va
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:47 p.m.

Didn't Duckhunter also claim to be a great football coach ?

• SUNNY ALL DAY Saint George, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 4:55 p.m.

Congratulations Pita, on the offer, as well as the mission plans.
    Let's see...
    2013 6'2 275.
    After serving a mission as well as a red shirt year, then 4 years to hone his craft.
    2020 6'2 300+ as a 5th year Mature Senior Leader.
    Go UTES!

• Eddie Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 5:03 p.m.

Ute fans puting words in BYU posters mouths.

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 11, 2013 5:11 p.m.

Welcome home Pita! Can't wait to see you in crimson!

hamrdown - one classy Coug! You're welcome back anytime!

Go Utes!!

• Indy St George, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2013 7:43 p.m.

Go Red,

Ummm.... According to Scout.com, Tonga is listed as Unranked and has Zero Stars. And athough I'm sure he was interested in Oregon, Wisconsin, and Michigan. The interest was not mutual, as none of them extended an offer. Infact, his only offer is from Utah. That being said, Sitake does a great job in developing Defensive Linemen, and Im sure Tonga will contribute just fine.

I'm sure you all watched Big Brother destroy a 4 and 5 star studded ranked Texas team last saturday night. And a 1 and 2 star WAC program gave the conference of champion members all they could handle. Could it be the Ute fans constant drivel about the importance of a recruits "stars" really holds no merrit to a programs success?

• Tuffy Parker Salem, UT
    Sept. 11, 2013 8:56 p.m.

Looks to be a great commit for the Utes and appears to be a solid young man living the dream. Even as a Cougar fan, I can't help but be happy for him that he got offered and good for him to commit early - shows lots of class as he already knew what he wanted.

• Vegasbob North Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 11, 2013 9:39 p.m.

Having coached young athletes for many years it is great to hear of a quality young may reaching his dream goal. Congratulations Pita, I appreciate your desire to serve first also.

• u25 West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 9:56 a.m.

Utah is cleaning up on the D line and O line. Now I hope we can get a Safety. Now that the y has stopped recruiting 4-5 star athletes they can only whine about others who do.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 10:51 a.m.

Duckhunter has zero respect. He refuses to spell my name right. Must be a happy valley thing.

As for Pita, he will go on to live out an amazing football career and life. Clearly Indy (who is making my beloved St. George look bad) is jealous. Give the kid props, for crying out loud.

Go Utes!

• Indy St George, Utah
    Sept. 12, 2013 12:16 p.m.

"Clearly Indy (who is making my beloved St. George look bad) is jealous"

Samurai Jake,
    What on earth would I have to be jealous of? And if you would have read my entire comment i clearly gave Tonga "props" saying he would contribute just fine because of the great coaching at the U for D-Lineman.
    I just think it is hilarious how inconsistent Ute fans are with the whole recruiting scene. When BYU signs a 2-star recruit its because they cant do any better and that recruit couldn't possibly be of any worth. But when Utah signs a Unranked, 0 star recruit the fans tout that its a great addition and that he will have an amazing career. See where I'm getting at?

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 12:30 p.m.

Don't waste your time Indy. The crimson goggles sold in East Salt Lake only allow one directional vision.

Oh, and good catch for the Utes. Pita is a stud, regardless of the star rating system's evaluation of him, or lack thereof.

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Sept. 12, 2013 12:38 p.m.

Dear Duckhunter,

I appreciate your comment about wishing this young man well. Very classy of you. However, I fail to see your logic in your comment to Mormon Ute. You state, "other than some instate kids no ONE, and I mean NO ONE, grows up dreaming about playing at Utah and this is still the fact." If there are some instate kids who dream of playing at Utah then how does the equate to "NO ONE"?

Also, why are you demeaning a poster by the name of Mormon Ute calling him moron Ute. To me that is demeaning to a faith that strives to act with integrity and honor as to who they represent. Remind me Duckhunter, just who do you represent?

GO UTES!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 3:20 p.m.

@runnegal50

I claimed to be a highly successful football coach which I unquestionably am. I'll let others decide the "great" issue.

• jdub1942 PROVO, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 4:15 p.m.

Duckhunter,

Madden and NCAA video games do not count.

• Samurai Jake Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 4:32 p.m.

@Duckhunter:

Highly successful coach? Kudos. Too bad no one will know whether you're referring to JV football, or Pop Warner? Either way, you should be commended for contributing of your time to the youth. (Unfortunately, I'm afraid you'll be leading them down a very biased path...!)

Go Utes!

• Hailstorm is a coming Riverdale, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 9:58 p.m.

@ Duckhunter
    Please stick to the article and show some respect to your opponent.
    I take it that this is his main goal, is the motivating factor, and primary reason to post negative comments about the Utes.
    As a Utah fan I strongly object to the Duck and his consistent put downs that often are just taunts, in the article that is written about the UTES. Consider the source , Ute fan. This is the same guy who has a parent on the faculty at BYU, or owned a restaurant in Vegas, or one near the University of California campus or Oregon. He just can't seem to write that which is true. Just don't feed the duck as there is no reason for the serious reader to have to put up with his controversial and degrading comments.
    If Pita wants to play for the UTES then that is his decision, and I wish our new recruit much success during his mission, as well as in life, and lastly success on playing football for the Utes and the 2008 Coach of The Year.
    IMO, 7-5 season seems reasonable to me this year, along with a bowl thrown in for good measure.

• Hailstorm is a coming Riverdale, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 10:40 p.m.

Welcome Pita !
    It's good to be a UTE !!!

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 10:34 a.m.

@hailstorm

You are a sad person no doubt, pity. As for the kid I do wish him well, but he is what he is and that is not what utah "fans" have been telling us utah will be getting. It is simply fun to point out the hypocrisy of those utah "fans" that on one side say "stars" are all that matters and mock BYU for signing kids with less than 3 of them, but when a no star with no other offers commits to utah those same "fans" sing an entirely different tune.

As for me personally and what I have done and experienced in life, well you are welcome to come down, visit, see for yourself if you so desire. I'll be happy to introduce you to friends, family, players, other coaches, and whatever it is you personally need to help you overcome your angst over my life and experiences in life. Let me know, we'll set it up.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 10:38 a.m.

Oh and by the way hailstorm, I was made the subject of this thread by several utah "fans" posting about me without me having ever posted in the thread. It does feed my ego a bit to know I live in your heads but I think it was a pre-emptive reflex on their parts. They know they are hypocritcal about recruits and when they saw this kid was a no star with no other offers they sought to run damage control as quickly as they could before I came along to point out the hypocrisy. The irony is that I probably wouldn't have even posted in this article anyway as I seldom do comment on particular recruits. But I will almost never miss an opportunity to call out utah "fans" for their hypocrisy.

• romeisn'tburning layton, ut
    Sept. 13, 2013 11:00 a.m.

@Indy

• Wookie Omaha, NE
    Sept. 13, 2013 12:38 p.m.

@ Duckhunter.

You still haven't addressed my comments to you.

I do think its pretty cool that you have coached and have been successful. I coached little league and enjoyed every game and every kid. Football, in my opinion, is the best sport to teach kids teamwork, self-control, courage, and integrity. I cannot stand it when I see a player, from any team, beat their chest after a mean hit. Anyway, I am hoping you'll answer my post from yesterday.

As for Chris B, I read an article under the faith column wherein he identified that he was not LDS, and he had questions as to the LDS beliefs and culture. His comments made me think that I need to be a better example at all times when supporting the U or Y.

Go UTES!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 13, 2013 1:29 p.m.

Welcome Pita to the Ute Nation and PAC-12.

The only thing Ducky dreams about is not having to make is annual trip to Tulsa.

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 4:41 p.m.

@wookie

You've tried to make this a religion issue so many times that I mostly just ignore it but let me tell you one more time what I think about your questions in this regard. They are hypocritical and of no value. I do not care what chris b thinks, I am not a representative of BYU I am a fan of BYU's athletics, nothing more. I do not see where I as a BYU fan have any more responsibility to be a representative of the LDS church than LDS fans of the university of utah. When and if you are to ever call out utah "fans" in the same manner you call me, and other, BYU fans out then I will give some consideration to your points but you never do call any of them out. Until that time I will not since your position is hypocritical and partisan.

Of course there are actually many BYU fans that are not LDS, I know several, so do they have the same responsibility you seem to reserve for all BYU fans but exempt utah "fans" from?

• Duckhunter Highland, UT
    Sept. 13, 2013 4:43 p.m.

@uteology

Actually I go to Tulsa almost every year for business, I already went this year. It's nice because I get to play Southern Hills when I go and that is a fine golf course. But since I already went this year I won't be going again. Next year probably, but not again this year.

• Indy St George, Utah
    Sept. 14, 2013 12:22 a.m.

romeisn'tburning,

"I don't know if you read the article, it clearly stated that Oregon, Wisconsin, and Michigan had shown interest, and that it was Pita that was not interested. Nice spin though."

Well if those programs were so interested in him then why did they not offer him a scholarship? why didn't ANY other program in the country offer him a scholarship? Clearly I'm not the one spinning my friend...