BYU football: Cougars run over No. 15 Texas in stunning fashion

Comments

• mohokat Ogden, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:22 p.m.

BYU beats #15 Texas. Utah beats who,who, I can't hear you who. Thats what I thought you said.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:27 p.m.

My apologies to Robert Anae and Taysom Hill. Fantastic win!
    Hey Chris B, are you man enough to eat your crow?

• agb Layton, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:27 p.m.

and cue the panic on the hill in 3-2-1...

• ute alumni paradise, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:28 p.m.

Let me be the first to tell chrissy b that the utes are going to be blown away by the cougs. Mark it down.

• Stop The Nonsense El Paso, TX
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:27 p.m.

Beautiful game by the Cougars! Fun (and stressful) to watch. Also, some pretty bad coaching by Texas. But we'll take it any day. Go Cougs!

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:28 p.m.

Congrats to BYU on a great recovery. Thumping Texas shows that BYU has a good team after all. Offense and defense totally outplayed the Horns. Looks like BYU will be competitive in both the USU and Utah games.

Should be fun.

• U 90 Corona, CA
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:29 p.m.

Wow, BYU is setting records every week. First team to lose a game when the opponent punts 13 times. Then they drop more rush yards on Texas than any team in history! Hill looked like a world beater running the ball tonight but still struggled with passing accuracy. Congrats to the BYU players and coaches for righting the ship. I am now officially nervous for 9/21.

Congrats BYU. Go Utes!

• ???? Murray, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:30 p.m.

They just beat the best QB they will face not named Chuckie. It is all down hill from here.

• golfrUte SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:30 p.m.

Big time Ute fan here, but one who likes to see all of the local teams do well. After BYU's struggles last week, I didn't see this coming at all. Tip of the cap to the coaching staff and players. Defense was solid as expected, but the rushing game was off the charts. Nothing to say, but "wow."

Rivalry game should be a blast.

Go Utes.

• motorbike Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:31 p.m.

That Texas team didn't look to good, I doubt they'll be anywhere close to ranked at the end of the season.
    That said, still a great win for BYU. What a difference a week makes.
    Go Utes!

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:32 p.m.

Somehow I imagine a certain poster saying the drubbing of Weber State was a bigger win....

Great game Cougars!!!!

Utah--You're Next.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:31 p.m.

With all those Texas 5 star athletes. How could BYU win?

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:32 p.m.

Nothing like exposing Texas on national TV. I enjoyed watching that. Nice job BYU.

• sky2k1 Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:32 p.m.

Great game. I was pleasantly surprised. The offensive line is looking much better. Taysom looked better throwing as the game went on, and he needs to improve in that area, but I think he will so he doesn't worry me.

Daily Troll Feeding:
    I marked it down Chris B. Remarkably accurate guess on the score. You just made a typo on the teams. Good luck to the Utes next week, I do wish them well. No hate coming from me (just yet, maybe once I get over this week and get ready for the holy war).

Go Cougars. If our defense can keep this up, and our offense can hold up their end rushing, this year will be much better than I thought it was going to be.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:33 p.m.

A victory over Utah is sweeter than one over Weber.

• Ric James Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:34 p.m.

Good win. This Utah fan was impressed with the effort.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:34 p.m.

I was wrong byu fans.

My guess is, like Oklahoma, we will look back and realize Texas shouldn't be ranked.

But it was a win over Texas still.

I still think Utah completes the career 4-0 SWEEP

Van noy, Hoffman, and others go their entire careers without beating their rivals!

But today, I was wrong.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:33 p.m.

Who else marked it down?

• idaho cougar fan Twin Falls, ID
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:34 p.m.

Great bounce back game. Still wish we could have won in Virginia. Bring on the Utes.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:36 p.m.

Did not see the game. Expected BYU to lose. Congrats with the big win.

Go Utes!

• perfidemintrepidus Riverton, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:36 p.m.

All of you that doubted in BYU should be ashamed! I always feel that my team has a good opportunity to win the game because that is exactly what a true fan does. Texas came in overly confident and fell short on various aspects of the game and the Cougars took advantage of their poor rush defense. Way to go Taysom Hill! He is a huge asset to this team and will be a great weapon this entire season if he can stay healthy. Hopefully Jamaal will recovery from that seemingly dirty play from the Longhorns. Now to prepare for the Utes in what should be another great in-state rivalry showdown!

• I Bleed Blue Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:39 p.m.

BYU rocks Texas and two weeks to prepare for Utah Priceless!

• Utejazz West Valley City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:39 p.m.

• Ricardo Carvalho Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:40 p.m.

The Utes handily beat a team they were expected to beat. Where is the problem?

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:41 p.m.

I'm still concerned about the passing game, but this was fun to watch.

• DC Alexandria, VA
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:42 p.m.

Wait - what just happened? Chris B just admitted that he was wrong. I mean, it was kind of a backhanded admission, but still.

• BigCougFan Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:43 p.m.

Chrissy B. Save yourself some time and just copy your "I was wrong" comment and save it for the Utah game.

Cougs have heart and they will not go down against your utes.

mark MY words!

Go Cougars!

• JoCo Ute Grants Pass, OR
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:44 p.m.

Lots of praise and respect from honest Utah fans. It's refreshing to see candor from my fellow Utes. Go Utah.

Mindless fans who bash Blue or Red without any logic integrity gets real old real fast. Right B.

• cougar76 Raleigh, NC
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:43 p.m.

Breaking news from Tuscaloosa: Bama concedes the 2013 NC after u scores 70 points in just one game. chris b was right.

• Duh west jordan, ut
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:44 p.m.

Great comment Chris B, I didn't think you had it in you. I am still worried about passing however, I don't care if we pass if we continue to run like this. Great game, I am officially relieved. I was worried this week about the outcome. Great job BYU.

• RBN Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:44 p.m.

Very nice win Cougars. The offensive line turn around was nothing short of amazing. Kudos to Anae and the OL. September 19 is shaping up to be a good game. My Utes need to hold serve next week against OSU.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:45 p.m.

Utejazz... "I don't want to hear about our win today vs. Weber State.

U beat Weber State.

BYU just beat Texas.

Which game will go further in the overall season?

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:45 p.m.

Yes, Chris, you were indeed wrong... just like you will be again in 2 weeks. I don't think I've ever heard you admit that before. Something

• BigRedUte Des Moines, IA
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:45 p.m.

What a game. Tom Holmoe's job just got a lot more difficult - not sure how many more teams will want to go to LES after what just happened to Texas . . .

• wwookie Payson, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:46 p.m.

Great game by BYU. The big difference was Anae's play calling. He fooled so many of the cougar fans who thought the pass often offense was gonna be back. Good to see Anae has learned. His horrible play calling cost BYU their BCS shot back when they had Harvey Unga and should have been a run first offense.

Mendenhall is a fantastic D-coordinator, and it really showed tonight.

Congrats to the team, especially the coaches.

• BlameItOnTheOfficials Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:46 p.m.

I loved my Utes winning against Weber but BYU played an incredible game against Texas. I'm honestly worried about the Utah/BYU game now.

Good game BYU.

• Tom in CA Vallejo, CA
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:47 p.m.

Life is good. A bye week and two weeks to prepare for the beat down of utah. utah will be coming off of a loss at the hands of Oregon State in the meantime. Go Cougars!!

• Sand Flea FALLING WATERS, WV
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:50 p.m.

Thanks for the rain delay I could listen to qa little more of the game from Abu Dhabi (yes it is a real place). Go Cougs. My Texas fans are having a bad day.

• MormonUte Centerville, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:51 p.m.

Very impressive win by BYU. I doubt that anyone outside of their locker room saw this one coming. One thing is for sure in the Bronco Mendenhall era, and that is that they are certainly resilient. They can look terrible one week, like they'll never win another game, and then, out of nowhere, they do what they did tonight. Whether you like him or not (I've always liked him), you have got to give the guy credit. Even Dick Harmon picked the Cougars to lose by 2 touchdowns. I have no idea what to expect in the Utah game. BYU is definitely not as bad as they looked last week, and I hope for Utah's sake that they are not as good as they looked tonight.

• OC Fan Orange County, CA
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:51 p.m.

Think how good the Y could be if Hill could pass and his receivers could catch like Hoffman. Here's hoping he'll learn!

Williams was also great and Lasike was a few carries short of 100 yards. All that yardage means the O-line was doing a few things right tonight.

Tonight makes last week all the worse - should be 2-0.

• Utejazz West Valley City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:54 p.m.

@sammyg. I think people don't realize, we beat a GREAT Utah State team, who just demolished Airforce, You guys had a great win vs Texas. But I say if you guys beat Utah State then I'm impressed. Texas won't even be ranked at the end of the season, they aren't that great! But still good win Brigham Young enjoy it.

• Kaotic USA, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 10:56 p.m.

• golsen7 Bonneville, ID
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:01 p.m.

Good win. But I question the coaches having dbs being on the kick off team. case in point Dallin Leavit getting hurt. I hope it not serious. It is just crazy not to protect your position that you hurting at.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:08 p.m.

Heck of a performance though Hill is still only throwing around 33%. If a team comes around that can contain (reasonably) the BYU run game there's going to be issues unless he improves. I'm not convinced that Utah can do that, then again I imagine it'll be yet another rivalry game that goes down to the final possession one way or the other.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:10 p.m.

MormonUte
    Centerville, UT

"BYU is definitely not as bad as they looked last week, and I hope for Utah's sake that they are not as good as they looked tonight."

Many great comments tonight from the loyal opposition, so far I think yours is the best.

Wanna join me and SpokaneUte in Pullman?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:10 p.m.

Another mindless play at the end that may have seriously hurt Williams back.

Kind of like Hill getting hurt last year, why did bronco had williams in with the game in hand?

Poor poor coaching.

And it looks like it seriously hurt a player, a player byu needs

• JayDogg Orem, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:17 p.m.

Great wins for BYU and Utah today. Coming from a Cougar fan, there sure are a lot of Classy Ute fans giving BYU props. Honestly I root for Utah every game of the season except one.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:18 p.m.

How strange these last two weeks have been. Double weather gigs and broken records from opposite extremes (negative to positive).

Virginia is as bad as Colorado, yet BYU loses that game. Credit BYU for bouncing back. Texas looks like they lack heart but BYU took it from them as well. One thing Texas does have is athletes. Pounding Texas the way BYU did while finding their offense in the process gives the Cougars momentum. The rivalry game just got all the more interesting.

If BYU has a consistent offense to go with the solid defense then they are really good.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:19 p.m.

To everybody (thankfully not too many, of you) undercutting a great win by predicting Texas will be a crummy team by season end, I can play that game too.

Texas won't face another defense like this; Ash will recover; Texas will beat Utah to win the Big 12.

Sheesh, give it a break. They may or may not collapse from here, time will tell. Collapse or not, that was a team loaded with superior recruits. This was a really good victory. And Utah beat the team they played, no reason for any digging there. We can look forward now to U, but U need to stay focused on the next task at hand, please.

• Proud Ute ,
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:20 p.m.

Wow....what a win.
    With the rain delay I didn't stick around to watch but looks like the coogs whipped them good.

• TanMan_101 West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:24 p.m.

@CougarSunDevil

After about 800 BYU attempts to "mark it down" you finally got one right. Congratulations.

• TanMan_101 West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:26 p.m.

@BigCougFan

So what, you're saying that Utah doesn't have heart?

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:27 p.m.

sammyg
    Springville, UT
    Utejazz... "I don't want to hear about our win today vs. Weber State.

U beat Weber State.

BYU just beat Texas.

---------------------

But you lost to Virginia... a team expected to finish last in the ACC, and who got stomped by Oregon today.

Yes your win over Texas was impressive. My advice to you would be to keep your hype in check. If Texas finishes the year a .500 team that will take plenty of luster off this win.

I'm just saying... better be careful. If you run your mouth too hard and you end up losing to Utah, well....

Celebrate the Texas win. Express relief that BYU does not seem to be as bad as YOU and every other Cougar fan thought they were last week.

But better temper your trash against Utah until you actually beat them.

• Tomahawk Red North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:31 p.m.

Tom in CA
    Vallejo, CA
    Life is good. A bye week and two weeks to prepare for the beat down of utah.

-------------

It's comments like these that make beating BYU oh so sweet.

Last week, most Cougar fans expected to go 3-9 this season. Now they expect a National Championship game appearance.

You guys just don't know how to control your emotion. When BYU loses (again) to Utah, and then proceeds to drop several other games this year, you will once again bad for celebrating this fool's gold.

• JD Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:36 p.m.

Enjoy the win Cougars, congrats! But just know that all next week the press is not going to recognize BYU for defeating Texas in a manner that you Provo fans will think they should. Immediately after the game the College Football Game Day Live crew of Lou Holtz, Chris Fowler, etc. all mentioned disgust with Texas and with their lack of passion and effort. Texas coach Mack Brown may be fired for losing to a small program that they should not ever lose to. They mentioned that Taysom was a good QB but not great, yet Provo faithful will instantly think he should be a Heisman candidate. The truth is Texas hasn't been good for four years now, and they gave up Saturday. The program has big problems. Yes, on paper Provo beat the mighty Texas Longhorns, but it was not even close to reality of where both programs are at. Enjoy the win, but your going to be so disappointed when the accolades don't come with the victory.

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:38 p.m.

What does Chris B have to say now? GO COUGARS!! We hooked them horns!

• Osgrath Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:38 p.m.

I have to agree with Tomahawk Red and extend it to everybody. People who run their mouths off too hard just wind up being embarrassed. We don't know who will win the game on the 21st and won't until then. That's why they play the game.

• LindonMan Lindon, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:44 p.m.

Made all those 5-star athletes look like 5-star chumps! Go Cougars!

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:45 p.m.

Oklahoma.

• agarrett PROVO, UT
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:48 p.m.

Glad to see so many Ute fans being classy and offering congratulations. Well done BYU!

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:50 p.m.

9 more yards or so, and Taysom Hill has more yards rushing for a QB in a single game the last ten years. Ironically it's Vince Young of Texas the kept the the top spot.

BYU did the right thing by not running Taysom Hill in the latter half of the 4th quarter though. With the game in hand, you don't want to risk injury (especially after last year).

As for the play calling and Hill avoiding hits late in the game by handing off; BYU still left the starters in. Unfortunately Jamaal Williams tweaked his low back after getting too many carries with the game all but over. He got like 33 carries last week as well.

Getting over 30 carries every game worked for Utah with John White IV in 2011, but that maybe took its' toll (wear and tear wise) the following year when White was hurt the whole season.

• Y Grad / Y Dad Richland, WA
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:56 p.m.

Just watching the replay of Taysom's first touchdown. "Was that fast? I think that was fast. Do you think that was fast?"

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 7, 2013 11:57 p.m.

Yes BYU beat Texas and Utah only beat Weber State. However, Weber is Utah's one cream puff. BYU still has Middle Tennessee State and Idaho. I don't know about Houston and Nevada but they are likely weak. Boise State is down and BYU should have beat them last year. BYU will beat them this year at home. Really the only tough games on the Cougars schedule are Utah, USU, Wisconsin and Notre Dame.

As for Texas, they were ranked because the are Texas. It's their money, tradition, Longhorn Network, and market area that gives them the ranking. They look awful. Their lack of team chemistry and play calling are horrendous.

• YGuy Lehi, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:01 a.m.

Mark me down as one of the "Bronco can't win the big games" guys... Been hating on him for years over it. This was a big game for us--regardless of whether Texas goes on to have a good season or not, because it got the team and the fan base some hope and some momentum, which was prematurely sucked out of us by last week's loss.

Now. Bronco: you have a lot of other big games left this season. None of them is more important to the fans than Utah. Please act like it and don't try to be all cool talking like Utah is, "just another game on the schedule." While I have to hand it to coach for a great win tonight, he still has lost many more big games than he's won--especially on the road. He also sucks against Utah. Let's start reversing THAT reputation too in two weeks.

Nice win, guys. Really fun!

• moderateinmagna MAGNA, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:06 a.m.

well chrissy your wrong again as usual the injury to williams is not serious ,only a hip pointer ,which takes about 3 days to heal i heard this from jamal,s own mouth so you just need to stop your hatred of everything BYU,IT,S getting old.

• GoRed WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:10 a.m.

A couple of observations.

This Chris B guy gets into BYU fans' heads like no other. The first page of comments had many references to him rather than complementing your team on an impressive victory. Anyway, at least he was man enough to come on and respond, something that many BYU fans did not do all last week after the Virginia loss.

Hey worf and sammy, where were you guys last week?

• UteMiguel Go Utes, CA
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:15 a.m.

Texas had no answer for Hill's running. None. I hope Whit is working hard to cone up with one.

• stonewall Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:23 a.m.

Great win for the Cougs. Definitely has me returning from the ledge. And props to the numerous Ute fans on here who have been exceptionally classy with their comments

• Commonman HENDERSON, NV
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:24 a.m.

I was over looking at the UT comments. (that stands for University of Texas for you Utah fans) They say that Texas lost because they are overrated and that because Virginia beat BYU but got creamed today, Texas is truly awful and the coach should be fired. Now, I don't yet know how this year will shake out, but I must say that last week had so many fluke situations that I have to discount it as typical. This game started out the same way but with a huge difference. Is BYU as bad as last week indicates? I don't think so. Is BYU as good as they looked this week? Better chance of that than the proposition from week 1. With two weeks to rest up for the Utes they should be fairly healthy.

The Utes snuck by a very good Utah State team week 1 and smothered a cream puff Weber State team this week. I think they were luckier than BYU last week and playing a softer team this week. Two weeks from now we will have a much clearer picture of the season.

• 86&90UTE Holladay, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:27 a.m.

Great win BYU! I did not see that coming at all. Looking forward to the rivalry game and I am a little worried. But with USC losing to Wash. ST. Utah has bigger issues thn beating BYU. Go in the PAC 12 South, Utah!!!

• RockOn Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:30 a.m.

Wow. Some GREAT comments by some classy Utah fans about the BYU victory. I salute you all except one. I hope BYU uses the week off to Cody Hoffman healthy. He was in few plays tonight but his presence was instantly felt. I'd like to see both teams at full strenght. And here's hoping Kyle Van Noy and the seniors walk off with a convincing victory. Go BYU.

• TXBYUFAN Spring, TX
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:32 a.m.

Have to agree with Chris B on one thing. Why were Hill and Williams still in the game at the end? I hope Williams' injury isn't serious. I haven't heard anything and keep looking to see if DesNews will post anything about it.

It looked to me like the Texas players were trying to hurt him. They may have succeeded.

• mindgames Aurora, CO
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:37 a.m.

Chris B

"Texas 40
    byu 14

Mark it Down!

Pretty soon byu will be 0-3 and Utah will be 4-0
    It is going to be great!"

I did mark it down and thankfully your predictions are about as reliable as your overall outlook on BYU teams. Could we get one of those great promises...where you promise to stay off the Cougar articles if BYU beats the Utes? Please. You don't even have to come on and eat crow before you honor the SOUNDS OF SILENCE promise. You can even use one of your other screen names as long as you promise to shut down the Chris B.

Taysom Hill runs out of trouble and into the end zone...not once, not twice, but three times. That was against a 15th ranked Texas Longhorn team. He ran 17 carries for 259 yards. The Cougars as a team ran for 550 yards, the most ever by a Texas opponent....EVER.

Should the Utes be concerned...no, because Chris B guarantees a Ute victory. The Utes are that much better than Texas, just look at the beat down they put on #15 ranked Weber State.

• BlackDiamond Provo, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:38 a.m.

So Proud of my cousin Paul Lasike. Never played football before but he tore up it up tonight by trucking all those Longhorns. Now just stay humble cougs, remember the last time we beat a ranked team (OU) we laid an egg the next game against Florida State. So lets take it to the Utes!!! Go Cougs

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:43 a.m.

From a Ute fan. Sincere congrats on a stunner and a brilliant comeback from last week. Real heart shown in this one.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 1:44 a.m.

Great day to be a Cougar.

But I have to wonder: where did THAT come from?!

Why such extreme inconsistency?

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 2:33 a.m.

I love how Ute fans are badmouthing Texas in order to reassure themselves that this victory was a fluke.

The Longhorns are ranked because they went 9-4 last year, beat a ranked PAC-12 team in their bowl, and returned 18 starters this season. Not to mention they ran up a new school record in offense last week. They are a legit Top 25 team.

But keep whistling past that graveyard, Ute fans. BYU just completely thrashed one of the best teams in the Big 12; if they give the same effort and execution against Utah it will be ugly for the Utes.

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Sept. 8, 2013 2:38 a.m.

With a run game that converts, where is the need for a passing attack? Poor coaching on the Texas sideline? How can you even say that? It is so refreshing to see that the one thing that cost the game last week was rectified and resulted in such a 'wow'! If it wasn't for the nefarious pass on 3rd and 6 last week, both teams would be undefeated on the 21st when they square off against each other. Focus Utes on beating Oregon State... Because 'we' want you undefeated when you roll into town so that on top of making Chris B eat more crow with humility, it will also mean the loss of the 'perfect season'. There are still some very big games on the schedule for all teams in the bigger guys class statewide. Much to be nervous about, but tonight feels great!

• JustTheTruthMan bountiful, ut
    Sept. 8, 2013 2:48 a.m.

UVA is as bad as CU?... Um, what a bad thing to say when one is 2-0 the other 1-1.... I'm not sure your are paying very close attention to reality... I guess the PAC12 season will uncover the truth of that as will the ACC season... But in week two a very poor assertion to be honest!

• Jake2010 bountiful, ut
    Sept. 8, 2013 2:55 a.m.

We are not seeking accolades.... The real story line here is that we are happy with a win... We are excited to see how U perform against Oregon State. We are hopeful for the 21st... We are nervous for Wisconsin in Wisconsin, GA Tech in Provo, even in spite of last season, Houston in Houston, Nevada in wherever, Notre Dame in South Bend and how well U will do after rolling in and out of Provo despite the outcome. If seasons were determined in just two games, there wouldn't be 12 total games before conference championships and bowl season... Just as bad as quest for perfection is seeking consistent prowess from a program with the vast changes that happen throughout every 4 years... To expect continued greatness season after season shows a complete disregard of several decades ago... There is a time when Texas got steamrolled week after week by teams like BYU. The birth of the BCS certainly corrupted the fan bases nationwide.

• Koloss Hampton, VA
    Sept. 8, 2013 6:22 a.m.

Congrats Cougars. It's always good to see an upset. Hill did exactly what he should be doing which is running the ball. Overall it was a great week for football in Utah.

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Sept. 8, 2013 6:24 a.m.

Mike and Mike picked this as a upset watch game.... guess they were right. Great game for the Y..... it will be interesting to see if they can keep it up..

• Dennis Harwich, MA
    Sept. 8, 2013 7:03 a.m.

I may be a the definitive BYU detractor but have to hand this one to them. Well played.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Sept. 8, 2013 7:33 a.m.

RE: gdog3finally

I agree that it was a little disconcerting to see Williams get so many carries, and especially those at the end of the fourth quarter. However, it is also encouraging to see BYU share the rushing load. Lasike and Alisa both were used much more in this game and even Hine got into the action. Lasike is really showing some promise and I expect we'll see much more of him as the season continues and he becomes the third guy (after Hill and Williams). Williams 33 carries doesn't seem as bad when you consider the 72 total carries for the game, but it's still too many. I would like to see Williams get 20-25 touches, with Hill running 5-10 times, and the remaining backs getting another 30-40. It'll be interesting to see what happens now with the fallout from this game. I expect most teams will begin stacking the box which will hopefully open up our passing game a bit. Go Cougs!

• Jefe-Ute SLC, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 7:38 a.m.

Nice win for BYU. It's always nice to see a Utah team beat up on a "big time" school. However, if I were a BYU fan, I wouldn't get too excited. Yes Hill is fast and can run the ball, but watch the game again. Texas was not playing well at all. There were dropped passes, missed throws to open receivers, and their defense played terrible. It was amazing that Texas just seemed to want to match up and not actually tackle anyone. We all know Hill can't throw the ball. (34%) So good defenses know they can load the box and just try to contain Hill. Again, good job that BYU took advantage, but we will know how good they are once they play Utah and Utah State.

• Deamon North Logan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 7:56 a.m.

Gotta love it, big wins by USU, BYU and U of U this week. I feel bad for Weber State, especially with them still having to face the Aggies, but a great week for the big three.

• SSmith Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 7:57 a.m.

In two weeks: Travis, meet KVN...up close and personal.

• SyracuseCoug Syracuse, ut
    Sept. 8, 2013 8:05 a.m.

WOW!!! Was that the same team that played Virginia last week? I was pretty down on the Cougars after last weeks loss, but tonight's game was a complete 180. Loved it!

GO COUGS!

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 8:10 a.m.

Wow great win Cougars! I think BYU was underrated and Texas was very overrated. It looks like the rivalry will be very competitive.

I think the Utes still get the win. Our weakness on defense is in our secondary and Taysom Hill can't throw the ball. BYU will not rush on our Ute defense like they did against Texas.

Again though, congrats on the great win! This Ute is impressed!

• Jordan Lynchburg, VA
    Sept. 8, 2013 8:13 a.m.

GREAT game, BYU! The only time that game looked close was at the beginning! This makes me excited for the rivalry game! Congrats from a U fan! Football is looking quite good in Utah with USU rocking it as well!

Go Utes!

• Th Tooele, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 8:18 a.m.

The Cougs honestly surprised everyone with this performance.

As a Utah fan, I am always nervous about playing BYU. This game doesn't change that fact. In fact, I am glad the Coug's got this performance out of their system.

Watching the game reminded me so much of Utah 2007. Lost the week before playing #11 UCLA to Air Force at home. We were sure to be hammered by UCLA. Utah won the game 44-10, then were shut out by UNLV the following week. Not saying that's whats going to happen to BYU vs Utah.

Should be a great game. Want Utah to get by Oregon State first before worrying about BYU's rushing attack. Never thought I'd see BYU abandon the pass all together, but why wouldn't you when Texas didn't know how to tackle? I would be nervous about Hills LACK of accuracy. 32% completion percentage won't cut it. Half of his completions last night were circus catches. If BYU wants to beat Utah, Hill will need to be in the 60% range in my opinion!

Great win BYU. I think the game in two weeks will be very closely contested.

Go Utes

• PAC12Fan South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 8:22 a.m.

Congrats BYU. Nobody thought you could do it including myself. Texas looked shocked and their athletes looked scared to hit.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 8:25 a.m.

How does a team play so small against a weak Virginia then look like a monster a week later against #15 Texas? Go figure.

• KamUte South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 8:27 a.m.

Even BYU fans didn't see it coming. Saw only a few posts professing a win. Admit everyone is surprised.

• JCC75 SEATTLE, WA
    Sept. 8, 2013 8:54 a.m.

Awesome game! BYU, Utah & Utah St all had nice wins yesterday. Should be a dog-fight in the Beehive state. Hopefully, Taysom runs over the Utes in 2 weeks!

• Checkit USA, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 9:05 a.m.

I love seeing the congrats from all the Ute fans, what I hate seeing is right after the congrats they try to downplay the victory. Only some of them, not all. We honestly don't know how good Texas was because they played New Mexico State I believe the week before. Maybe they will do good, maybe they won't. Another thing all this talk on Oregon whooping UVa at home? So? what does that have to do with anything? BYU lost to UVa ok. We can justify that it was the rain and what not. Lets look at it this way, BYU obviously had troubles on the offensive side of the ball. Blocking was one of them, well in the past week they moved around guys and worked on the offense. Don't try to downplay BYU's improvement from this past week. It was a solid win even if Texas doesn't do so hot the rest of the season. Also congrats to the Utes and Aggies for their blow out wins! Great day for Utah FBS schools all around!

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 9:07 a.m.

Props to team down south. Really don't know what to think. Byu Putting up stats more appropriate for a Service academy is really weird.

• oldcougar Orem, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 9:08 a.m.

Great win Cougs! I did not see that coming at all. Thanks for being classy, Utes! Great win Aggies! We've got some good football goin' on. I look forward to watching and cheering for the Utes and Aggies next week. I am much more excited about Sept. 21 now.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 9:08 a.m.

re: agb

What panic & y? The Sons of provo may have outsmarted themselves scheduling a bye before the game against the Utes possibly killing any momentum they have.

re: worf

If you look at the post by Stop the nonsense moments before yours; you'll have part of the reason y the y 1.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 8, 2013 9:16 a.m.

@ygrad/dad

Congrats nice win guy!

• Out of State Utah fan Alpharetta, GA
    Sept. 8, 2013 9:24 a.m.

Wow! Unbelievable performance by BYU. Glad someone stuck it to UT.
    Game on the 21rst will be a good one.

• sammyg Springville, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 9:30 a.m.

gored

Miss me much?

Some of us have jobs, 40 hours in three days cuts into my pro bono journalism responsibilities. I commented after the games last week as you well know and was only able to watch the BYU game this weekend.

Didn't miss out on anything important.

Did the Utes play anybody?

You know the most enjoyable aspect of the weekend was a lot of you Utesies were stupefied into silence during the BYU game... that was funny.

• Hank Pym SLC, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 9:32 a.m.

re: Commonman

Gee! Thanks for clarifying. I thought it stood for Univ of Tennessee. No wait! Univ of Toledo and their mascot the fighting Klingers.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 8, 2013 9:33 a.m.

Hill and Chuckie Keaton just got helmet stickers from the espn game day staff, pretty cool

• 61Cougar Seattle, Wa
    Sept. 8, 2013 9:35 a.m.

Best comment posted to the story of the game in the Austin American Statesman:

"Mack...your problem with the BYU loss is you focused too much on the mountains and altitude of Provo Utah when you should have been paying a attention to the Hill in front of you."

Good win, but all that QB running isn't going to cut it for the long haul. Hill must become a more accurate and consistent passer.

• B Russ Ephraim, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 9:47 a.m.

I'm with Chris B on this game. The Cougars were very impressive, in fact, they totally dominated. Go Cougars! Go Utes!

• FelisConcolor North Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 10:09 a.m.

"Doesn't shake my confidence that Utah will beat the Cougars, though. Utah has a great rush defense unlike Texas. If Hill has to throw Utah wins. BYU's secondary looked horrible and Travis Wilson has been a solid passer thus far so both teams will have to ride their respective front sevens to a win."

Ute fans, whistling past the graveyard again.

Utah has a great rush defense? Maybe against Weber State; against USU you gave up 173 yards on the ground, and at 4.4 yards per clip you can't claim your defense was stuffing the run. Overall the defense surrendered 487 yards to the Aggies. Texas was considered to have one of the best front 7 in the Big 12, and BYU shredded them like kleenex.

BYU's secondary horrible? Texas had 313 yards passing, but on 44 attempts with only 24 completions. They went 5-17 on third downs, 0-3 on fourth. The vaunted Longhorn attack, which set a school record for total offense last week, was completely contained in the last 25 minutes of the game, and never got in sync.

But you Ute fans keep telling yourselves this win means nothing.

• russhoops OGDEN, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 10:20 a.m.

Great win for the Cougs and it was especially nice to see Coach Mendenhall show some emotion! He was wound up and he let it be shown. His defense was suburb! Utah next!

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 10:29 a.m.

great win for BYU!

I attended the BYU game (my grandparents buy me tickets). What I came away thinking is this:

1. Well underrated BYU team that still stinks at passing the ball.
    2. WAAAAAAAY overrated Texas team that obviously thought they would come in here and just roll over BYU.
    3. BYU running roughshod over an unprepared Texas defense that had a tendency to leave huge holes in the middle of the field whilst over pursuing Taysom Hill.
    4. Hill taking risks on the ground and making big plays.
    5. Texas defenders whiffing on tackles, and Texas receivers getting hit in the face and hands with passes like cardboard cutouts.
    6. Cody Hoffman making circus catches and making Taysom Hill look like he might actually know how to throw the ball.
    7. Taysom Hill proving once again that he can't throw the ball any better than Riley.
    8. A BYU team that will again present a challenge, but still most likely lose to the Utes in two weeks.

• MormonUte Centerville, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 10:44 a.m.

Y Grad/Y Dad, thanks for the invite to Washington. I would love to come, but I am a teacher and a basketball coach, and that is right in the heart of our season. I do appreciate how many classy comments people are making here. I would love to see the rivalry be more civil. If we could all just give credit where credit is due, I think we could all enjoy our respective school's accomplishments and still get along. BYU deserves credit for their win last night, no matter what Texas does. Any team that rolls up 550 yards on any defense, let alone one as experienced as Texas's, is impressive. As I said in my previous post, Bronco's teams are resilient. They've had some tough losses over the years, and they bounce back quickly. Whit's teams are like that, too. These guys are good coaches. I hope we can all enjoy the rivalry game in 2 weeks, without so much nastiness. These are good young men playing a great sport. Let's just enjoy them.

• kurt101 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 10:46 a.m.

Props to BYU.. I thought they were going to get smoked! This game really showed Hill's inability to throw the football. Utah is going to stack the box and make Hill beat them with his arm. I don't think he can get it done once most teams figure this out. Great athlete though. I look forward to Sep 21st! Go Utes!!!!!!

• Shabba san mateo, CA
    Sept. 8, 2013 11:09 a.m.

I predicted this a week ago. I said that if they could score more than a few touchdowns they would win.

I think BYU will beat Utah. Utah is going to have a lot of problems with this defense. It really is exceptional. I think we'll see a little more passing from BYU. It will be a good season for BYU, better than last year. We could win the rest of our games but our passing has to really improve. If our passing doesn't improve I would say 2 or 3 more losses. Anyone know if J. Williams is hurt?

• morganh Orem, Utah
    Sept. 8, 2013 11:45 a.m.

Crisb predicted Texas 40 B.Y.U. 14. Well he was wrong and it is amazing he admitted it. Being a proud Cougar fan I was optimistic and was hoping for a victory but I never did expect B.Y.U. to break Texas's record for the most rushing yards given up by the end of the third quarter. I also never expected we would win 40 to 21 but I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Today my Cougs made me proud and I think we have a really good chance of winning the "Holy War" at Lavell Edwards Stadium in two weeks.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 11:47 a.m.

@ FelisConcolor

First off, most Ute fans congratulated BYU on a nice win.

Second, USU can pass. BYU is not a threat through the air, at all. Utah just has to stack the box against BYU and force Hill to beat them through the air, which I do not believe he can do.

• Razzle2 Bluffdale, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 11:48 a.m.

I'm a late poster. Stayed up to watch the game twice. Loved it. Just loved it.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Sept. 8, 2013 11:55 a.m.

Great game for the Cougars. Running, kicking and defense were all great! Here's hoping BYU can continue to improve on pass completions, Go Cougars!

• Christine B. Hedgefog Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:00 p.m.

Reasonable Ute, you forgot #9 (which really is #1). BYU manhandled a top 15 team, full of 5 star recruits, with a winning record and a stable of returning talent, from a power conference......something your team hasn't done in 3 years of being in a power conference. Even in their worst years Texas never gave up as many yards as BYU ripped from them last night.

You forgot #10 too (which really is #2) KVN and the BYU defense are the real deal.

I can understand why you came away thinking what you did instead of pointing out all the positives, wearing crimson glasses to a night game and all. Like Texas leaving huge holes in the middle. It couldn't have possibly been BYU that created those holes. Etc. Thanks for all the commentary though on how Texas lost the game due to no fault of BYU.

Interesting comments here. Several Utes with sincere positive comments, several more with "good job, but....." and the usual few with "Texas really isn't that good".

Too funny. As Chris said back on page 1 "We're all Lonhorns today. Hook em Texas"

Classic! Marked it down!

• Mick Murray, Utah
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:19 p.m.

Many ute " fans"/ byu haters, have posted their congrats with a but sentence that follows. But Texas is way overrated. Isn't UT the biggest school in Texas? Isn't this where UofU hopes to get their recruits, from the scraps the other texas schools leave behind. Doesn't UT have a top 5 recruiting class every year?

The truth is UT has the athletes. For what ever reason, they looked past BYU athletes. The cougars will get better the more familiar they become with their new offense. I still expect ups and downs this year, but last night was fun. Great game cougs.

Just one reminder to the utes. You can still go to a coveted bcs bowl if you loose to BYU. You have to win your pac12 games. You seem to forget what is most important because your still caught up on making the season all about byu. As these posts suggest.

Go Cougs!

• 72coug12 casper, WY
    Sept. 8, 2013 12:54 p.m.

At VA BYU embarrassed themselves. Last night they embarrassed Texas. What an amazing turn around. Congrats to the team. The offensive line showed up and blocked phenomenally well in the run game. Still mediocre in pass blocking. Tyson Hill was amazing running the ball. Can't say enough good about that performance. His passing still has a long, long way to go. Threw one pick to end a drive and came within a couple of inches of two more. I said last week BYU would only go 4-8 if they played like they did in VA. Fortunately they didn't play that way. So I am eating crow on the 4-8 comment. I was pleasantly surprised. But teams will now load the box and force BYU to pass. They will put a spy on Hill and take away some of those running yards. So can we throw the ball without the turnovers? The answer to that question will determine whether Cougs go 9-3 or 6-6.

• adpdo Ut, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 1:19 p.m.

@chris b I think I'm more looking forward to beating utah just so you will no longer comment on byu for the rest of your life (as promised) than anything else. Don't worry. There are lots of other fun hobbies. Try golf, maybe you'll be good. btw good luck to the Utes in every other other game they play. I'd love to see them win the PAC12.
    Rise and Shout!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 8, 2013 1:22 p.m.

Wow! What a convincing win. Nice going guys! Congratulations on the victory. You proved everyone wrong!

A Ute fan.

• CanuckFan Vancouver, BC
    Sept. 8, 2013 1:24 p.m.

I was in town for the game. WOW. Very memorable. It's different in person than on TV (each has their strengths)

Impressed by:
    - running ability - backs + Hill
    - putting pressure on the QB (when he had time the TX QB was great).
    - fitness level
    - hurry up offense
    - Field goals - he's baaack!

Concerns:
    - throwing accuracy
    - Hill needs to slide; someone's going to hurt him
    - keeping up that intensity - it's almost like they HAD to lose to VA in order to best TX.

• redthunder Ogden, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 1:36 p.m.

As a die hard Ute fan I'd like to congratulate the Y on a very impressive victory. I never really believed that the cougars would just sit down and take it after losing to Virginia, but I was not expecting this. Congrats!! This Ute fan just got very very very excited for the Holy War in 2 weeks. Utah still needs to show up and beat OSU next week but this is looking like an interesting match up indeed. I am a die hard Ute but I'm also a realist. If Utah's D doesn't get its act together soon it's going to be ugly. But then again, Whittingham seems to have Mendenhall dialed in. Should be interesting.

GO UTES!!

• Black&Blue St George, Utah
    Sept. 8, 2013 1:46 p.m.

Lets get something straight, this was not an upset.
    An upset is when an inferior team pulls out a last minute win against all odds over a higher profile and higher ranked opponent.
    This game was a beat down.
    Texas returned 19 starters to a team that finished last season ranked in the top 20. That consistently pulls in top 5 recruiting classes and regularly competes for national championships. And BYU dominated them in every aspect of the game.

HUGE turnaround for the O-line. 550 yds rushing and ZERO sacks against one of the best defensive fronts in college football. The defense was stout, getting 5 sacks and holding a very good UT offense to countless 3 and outs. With a healthy CB corps, BYU holds Texas to 10pts max. Even with 3rd and 4th string corners being targeted constantly, BYU held Ash and Co. to 21pts. This defense is the real deal.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the offense will continue to perform, but it is clearly on the shoulders of the O-line. And Hill MUST be better passing down field. Luckily we have 2 weeks to make adjustments and get ready for the though road ahead.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 1:52 p.m.

It was especially satisfying for Ross Apo who originally committed to Texas. Good choice, Ross. For the trolls, it seems that when BYU loses it is because they are no good and when they win it is because their opponents are no good. Defeating a #15 ranked Texas is just fine.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 2:23 p.m.

to 4601

"For the trolls, it seems that when BYU loses it is because they are no good and when they win it is because their opponents are no good."

Interesting? Wasn't it last week, byu fans said the best team doesn't necessarily win or something like that. Ironically, they were referring to events Charlottesville & SLC.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Sept. 8, 2013 2:45 p.m.

It was a good win. Just think: Two weeks from today Chris B. will be posting under a different moniker.

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 3:26 p.m.

"Wasn't it last week, BYU fans said the best team doesn't necessarily win or something like that..."

Still true.

One game does not a season make.

Also true, BYU is now a combined 7-2 all-time versus Texas(3-1), Texas A&M(2-1) and Oklahoma(2-0) with a winning record versus each.

• Two For Flinching Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 3:40 p.m.

Texas dropped completely out of the top 25 today. BYU, Utah, and USU all receiving votes in the coaches poll though

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Sept. 8, 2013 3:50 p.m.

I'll take the win regardless of what people say about the overall strength of Texas. There are a lot of five star recruits on that team, and few people count stars as much as Chris B. et al.

@Kaotic "Let's see...Oregon 59-Virginia 10 on Virginia's home turf. Who did BYU play last week? Good recovery this week for BYU though."

I agree that Oregon is likely going to be a contender for the NC this year. They are very good. But it is pretty darn sad when ute fans feel all they have left is to gloat about Oregon's accomplishment as if they themselves are Oregon-- or that the utes should be respected just because they are in the same conference as Oregon.

Seriously, after watching WSU beat USC in LA yesterday I've come to the conclusion that Oregon is completely alone in the PAC. The rest of the teams, with the exception of maybe Stanford, are all the equivalent of the loathsome mid majors that BYU is always being lumped into (by ute fans).

Oh the irony.

• 3grandslams Iowa City, IA
    Sept. 8, 2013 4:10 p.m.

BYU made an "superior athletic" team look bad, real bad. Great bounce back win, but not a lucky win , a stomping, a message sending game.

Did anyone get a great picture of Laike running over longhorns? That kid is a load! Great game to watch...Go Cougars!

• Hugh G. Hater Swat Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 4:10 p.m.

I'm with CanuckFan.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Sept. 8, 2013 4:15 p.m.

@Y Grad / Y Dad ....."Was that fast? I think that was fast. Do you think that was fast?"

Sounds like you were quoting Jodie Foster from the movie "Maverick"

BTW: I thought that was fast.

• Perkunas Ashburn, VA
    Sept. 8, 2013 4:40 p.m.

The need for so many Utes to weigh in speaks volumes. After much bravado following the UVA game, a little something has appeared in the back of their minds to gnaw at them: doubt.

Nothing like trashing BYU's opponent or ripping Hill's completion percentage to try to feel a little better about the 21st. Anything to ignore that staggering rushing statistic against a front with as much pure athleticism as any team in college.

• Surf is Up Miami, FL
    Sept. 8, 2013 4:39 p.m.

For all of those who have made the comment that Texas looked terrible yesterday-- yes they did. But there is a reason for that. BYU made them look that way.

I remember watching Utah do the same thing to Alabama in 2008. Now I could say that Alabama looked terrible and that they were uqually uninspired and overconfident. But the truth is that Utah was better prepared and executed very well on both sides of the ball.

Did Alabama have better talent on both sides of the ball? I would say definitely yes. Talent gets diminished when players show up thinking it is their right to win because they are statistically superior.

That being said: I expect a closer game on September, 21; but wouldn't mind if BYU performed one of their old style beat downs on the utes, which hasn't happened in a long time.

• Owl Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 4:57 p.m.

I hope the officials will review their performance in this game. The pass interference penalty, among several others, looked like Good ol' Boy calls.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 5:05 p.m.

Wally in DLC,
    The margin of victory and how it was achieved were quite different against VA and TX, or don't trolls notice those things?

• manutd San Diego, CA
    Sept. 8, 2013 7:38 p.m.

thought it would be close, but a texas win. pleasantly surprised.

running game only eventually wont cut it. passing game needs to get better if we want to beat utah.

where are the tight ends?

going to be a good game in 2 weeks.

0-3?
    mark it down?
    any more predictions?

• reasonableUTE Provo, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 8:13 p.m.

@ Christine B. Hedgefog

Yes... I did forget to mention the stellar byu defense... which is very good as it was last year (though the DB's got burned on a number of occasions). byu's linebackers are some of the best in the country. Also, any win over Texas is at least moderately impressive... byu's win over texas was more than moderately impressive. I'm not a byu hater, I've been going to byu games my whole life. I've been to far more byu games than I have Utah games. I currently live in, and grew up in Provo, my grandparents give me season tickets to byu football and basketball in hopes that I will "come to my senses" and become a cougar fan. I like byu, I just like Utah much much more.

The offensive line definitely played better, which I forgot to mention as well. I don't need to justify my opinion about how the game turned out the way it did. Two weeks from now we will all see that against a defense that is smart enough to make Taysom pass the ball, the cougars will lose.

• CougarSunDevil Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 8, 2013 8:26 p.m.

@TanMan_101

Talk to Chris B, he's the one telling everyone to mark it down. Not me. Besides, Chris B was classy in his comments (I wish he would stay that way). It's the better road to take. You should consider that road too.

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 8:35 p.m.

to 4601

Like 17-16, 54-10, & 24-21?

• Cougarbaseball Rifle, CO
    Sept. 8, 2013 8:46 p.m.

@utejazz

"Please BYU fans, I don't want to hear about our win today vs. Weber State. We all know Weber State is beyond awful. But you guys have no room to talk about playing easy opponents, I mean Idaho State, Houston and Mid Tennessee. Give me a break. Serioiusly Good win for BYU though."

Idaho state is certainly as bad as weber state, but Houston is 2-0 and Middle Tennessee has looked good in their first two gams, so please do a little research before clumping in teams with weber state who would trounce them. Both Utah and BYU have excellent schedules. You can't play top teams every week of the season. BYU and Utah both have their fair share of good opponents this year.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 8:49 p.m.

Well I certainly learned a lot about the Cougars last night. 1. They now know how to handle rain delays so if they have any more im not concerned as to how they will handle it. 2. They found an OL that simply broke the will of the Texas front seven and dominated throughout the game, hopefully we see alot more of that going forward. 3.They have a three headed monster rushing attack with Taysom, Jamal,and Paul which is a lot of fun to watch. 4. If BYU can get the passing game going, and to me its a matter of Taysom getting on the same page with his receiver and of course throwing the ball with more accuracy, if they are able to do so this offense could be scary good. The good news is now they have two weeks to work on the passing game and prepare for Utah.

Great win BYU! now take the momentum into the bye week and carry it forward into the game against Utah.

• bribri86 Phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 8, 2013 8:49 p.m.

@ Wally West

17-16 - 2010
    54-10 - 2011
    24-21 - 2012

Welcome to 2013, where "now" is all that matters.

• IRS Agent PROVO, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 10:09 p.m.

Not bad for a bunch of sunday school boys, right Chris B? Also, so much for all the talk about the "stars" when it comes to recruits. While it does matter, it isn't the only thing that counts.

To all those making comments about everyone just "stacking the box" against the run, and forcing BYU to throw the ball - Do you honestly think that a Division 1 coaching staff would not be trying to do that after being torched for 350 rushing yards in the first half? You are kidding yourselves if you don't think that that was the game plan by Texas after the first quarter. Give the Texas coaches some credit. They aren't in those jobs because they are clueless. It is entirely plausible that BYU's execution was just better. And if BYU's team can execute like that against Texas when they are keying on the run, they can execute against others that "stack the box". Take off the crimson glasses folks.

• 54-10 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 11:41 p.m.

Nice win for the Cougs. Congrats.

Texas fired their defensive coordinator today after that effort.

• jbohn Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2013 12:38 a.m.

you think byu fans would learn to reserve their optimism and cockiness about the Utah game. Every year its the same "we are DEFINITELY better this year, byu by 3+ scores" and 8 out of the last 11 its been the same result. Cut back on the cockiness coug fans....it makes you look much better if you end up losing.

• jbohn Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2013 12:38 a.m.

• bigirish OREM, UT
    Sept. 9, 2013 2:18 a.m.

Great win, and I take it all back what I said after the VA game...BUT after listening to TH say they took what the TX defense gave them, I worry that if his passing continues to struggle, teams will now just focus on stopping his and our running game and take their chances with his potluck throwing. Maybe he had to run because of the passing/receiving problems. And run he did, with Jamal and Lasike, no question!. Utah is still a rivalry animal though and the game is anybody's! I hope it's ours and that this game was not a fluke. Or that TX was not that good. Hey, I'm easy...

• GK Willington Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2013 8:10 a.m.

per bribri86

Oh, no. The apocalypse is imminent a byu fan focused on the here & now and not the past.

• Wiscougarfan River Falls, WI
    Sept. 9, 2013 8:11 a.m.

RE jbohn

"Why did byu run a direct snap to their running back on every single play? and why on earth did they let him throw 26 times??!"

Because it resulted in nearly 700 yards of total offense and a win against the 15th ranked team in the country. It won't work next game but it was sure fun to watch Saturday. Go Cougs!

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Sept. 9, 2013 8:27 a.m.

"Chris B

Salt Lake City, UT

I was wrong byu fans.

But it was a win over Texas still.

I still think Utah completes the career 4-0 SWEEP

But today, I was wrong."

Wow, didn't see the day coming I liked a Chris B post...

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Sept. 9, 2013 8:29 a.m.

What you should be talking about is the beating USU laid to their opponent this past weekend. This lends some credibility to Utah's win last week...

• 965 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 9, 2013 9:43 a.m.

A good win for BYU, but if you think Texas was deserving of its #15 ranking I'm not sure what to tell you. Everyone was picking BYU to win this game, I don't even consider it an upset.

You're not going to beat Utah though, you can't pass and Utah's rushing defense is always good. All we have to do is contain Hoffman in that regard and stack the box.

It's going to be an interesting game, we won't really find out how good the defense is down in provostan this year until Utah, as well as find out how good Utah's offense is this year until BYU. I don't think the OSU defense will give us much push back. It will however be a good test for our defense.

Taysom is going to have to become a more efficient passer if BYU wants to get to a bowl game this year, because teams will start stacking the box like they did against Utah when JWIV was here with Hays at the helm. It's going to be an interesting next two weeks in Utah football.

• atl134 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2013 12:36 p.m.

@Mick
    "Isn't UT the biggest school in Texas?"

Yes, just like USC is the biggest in California but that didn't stop them from losing to Washington State. There's two kinds of "but" statements. There's the BYU had a great win against Texas but statements and there's the BYU had a horrible loss to Virginia but statements. The point is... this team is capable of great and bad play, there's a lot of uncertainty about them.

On an unrelated note. Washington State and BYU upset historically successful ranked programs. Good week for Cougars.

• AKFan JUNEAU, AK
    Sept. 10, 2013 9:45 p.m.

I note that the article claims that Bronco had said Taysom Hill is loyal and a fierce competitor, but the quote was actually about Coach Anae. That aside, awesome win, and Chris B, you were wrong about more than one thing. You guaranteed BYU would be 0-3 to start the year and the Utes would be 3-0. Your already 50% wrong.

• BC CougFan Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2013 5:53 p.m.

I like BYU in the Holy War because if Utah stacks the box all Hill has to do is throw it up to Hoffman or Apo and they will come down with the ball. He doesnt have to be accurate they will make the plays. And if Utah doesnt load the box BYU's run game will do just fine. It will be close though as both teams will give there all with the two year hiatus.

Go Cougs!!!