Texas football: No. 15 Longhorns looking to be national contenders again

Comments

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 5:31 p.m.

The beautiful thing about being Texas is that all they have to do is win. If UT goes undefeated they play for the national championship. They control their own destiny. The Longhorns are not going to drop one in Provo this year.

Looking forward to both of my schools smacking the y this year. Hook'em!!!

• Cleanliness Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 5:40 p.m.

Let's go BYU!

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    Sept. 5, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Texas Football will celebrate their 120th year in college football this season...during that time, they have:

Played in 51 bowl games
    Won 4 national championships
    Won 32 conference championships
    Won 7 divisional championships
    Played in 4 BCS games

In the last 10 seasons they have finished #1, #2, #4, #5, #10, #12, #13, #19...

Pretty darn good...

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 8:00 p.m.

Texas should be a very good measuring stick of just how good the BYU defense is. BYU's offense will be better at moving the ball with Cody Hoffman back. BYU has the home crowd and altitude factor going on this one. I can't wait to see BYU take it to the horns.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 9:34 p.m.

Texas 40
    Byu 14

Utah 47
    Weber 10

Pretty soon byu will be 0-3, having lost for FOURTH year in a row to Utah, an Utah will be 4-0 and ranked in top 25

Be honest byu fans, how embarrassing will this be

Lol!

You know it's happening, I do too

Mark it down!

• localblue Sandy, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 3:02 a.m.

Chris B may be right on the Texas game. I don't have a lot of faith in them this year. I remember a worse Florida State ran roughshod over a better BYU team at home. So this could get ugly but I can always hope.

But I'll also go out on a limb and say Utah will be far from ranked at the end of the season. In fact, I'll bet as consistent with most years BYU will be higher ranked than Utah at the end of the season. Just the natural pecking order of life.

• SillyRabbit Layton, 00
    Sept. 6, 2013 7:52 a.m.

I enjoy reading Chris B. I'm not as confident about the numbers, but I'll watch/listen to both games and enjoy them too.

Hopefully no rain delays in either game :)

Good luck, Cougars. It would be fantastic to see you pull an upset on Saturday.

• EdGrady Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 6, 2013 8:17 a.m.

When did utah join the Big Sky?

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 8:35 a.m.

Ed:

Nice try, but I'm afraid its your cougies who are playing 3 games with past/present Big Sky members this fall while the Utes will be in the middle of Pac-12 conference games.

• jej SANDY, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 8:58 a.m.

Chris,

Your are talking in every post like Utah has already won 4 games. The problem with playing in the Pac-12 is that any team, even the bottom dwellers, can beat you. I wouldn't say it is a lock that Oregon St. will lose to Utah. There is no guarantee that Utah will be 4-0. After watching their defense last week I would be super hesitant to make that kind of prediction.

BYU is going to struggle against Texas. I am a fan and want them to do well. I just keep having flash backs to watching Florida St. dismantle the team... Long run after long run. It will still be a fun game to watch regardless. And I will enjoy watching it on ESPN2!

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 9:19 a.m.

@JohnInSLC

And two of those three games, Utah might even lose. Nevada and Boise State.Utah will not beat UCLA, Stanford, Arizona, USC Arizona State, or Oregon. You will beat Washington State and you MIGHT, I said MIGHT beat Colorado who has improved and Oregon State. That puts you at best 6-6 and at worst I will say 3-9, don't get to cocky just yet. We are only one week into it.

Your comment is one of the reasons I cant stand Utah fans. Ed throws out a small jab and you cant just take it, you have to run back to the past. A very long past, the schools you refer too left in the early to mid 90's. You are playing a smaller, weaker Weber State team. This is an auto win, even if you and ChrisB suited up. And before you start touting your PAC-10+2 Schedule, win something there first. It doesn't help your cause when you can't win there. To use something as a positive you have to have done well at it. And you have bombed in the PAC-10, your best shot at doing well yo lost to Colorado.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 6, 2013 10:12 a.m.

Why does Florida get mentioned. BYU just played Texas two years ago in Austin.

BYU will struggle, but so will Texas.

BYU is still an upgrade from a bottom dwelling PAC 12 team, and will play a close game.

BYU 24
    Texas 21

Mark it down with erasable ink.

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 6, 2013 10:26 a.m.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 6, 2013 10:33 a.m.

UtahBruin
    Saratoga Springs, UT

@JohnInSLC

And two of those three games, Utah might even lose. Nevada and Boise State.

--------------

Depends are those teams ranked? If not, then Utah hasn't lost to an un-ranked mid-major since Sep 2007 so they should be able to handle both teams.

While its still too early to till if Utah is a 8 win team but from last weeks performance I can safely say they will be favorites against Weber State, Oregon State, BYU, Washington State, and Colorado. Thus, they should be able to win 6 games.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 11:13 a.m.

@worf

"Wow1 On sports radio here in Texas, commentator stated the Longhorns would have a better chance for a victory if they were playing the utes."

-----------

You must be listening to El Fuego Radio in West Dillon Texas with Buddy Garrity.

Worf, you realize Friday Night Lights was all a factious town and radio station?

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 11:15 a.m.

Worf,

I'll gladly remind you all year your prediction for this game.

Soon byu will be 0-3 and byu fans will be licking their wounds, having lost to Utah for the fourth time in a ROW!

• SoCalChris Riverside, CA
    Sept. 6, 2013 11:39 a.m.

The only thing that gives me optimism for tomorrow's game is that Chris B said to "mark it down."

• perfidemintrepidus Riverton, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 11:44 a.m.

Guys, remember that this is the same team that we beat on all sides of the ball a couple years ago on their own turf! There is no relevancy in comparing this game to the Florida St.-Bobby Bowden reunion. BYU almost always plays their best football at home like any other team and this game is no exception. Look for the Cougars to make a quick offensive strike and play really tough defense. They need to attack the QB early so that his accuracy is tested and keep the drive alive to win this game.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 11:56 a.m.

@ JohnInSLC:

Nice try yourself. You need to be reminded that based on past history, Utah is usually out of PAC12 conference games by the time "the middle" comes. Being in the middle would actually be an upgrade from always contending in the lowest tier of your conference, and trying so desperately to not be the cellar dweller once again.
    I actually hope Utah can show some improvement in that category this season. If so, we could then stop laughing quite so hard at Chris B's always hilarious predictions.

• manutd San Diego, CA
    Sept. 6, 2013 12:04 p.m.

we will likely lose to texas, but i dont think it will be a blow out. we are at home, altitude, no rain, bounce back from last weeks poor performance, anae switching the offensive line around, hoffman healed up. we have a chance to be competitive at least.

the utah game will be interesting, but surely this is our year. dont see how utes are marking it down as a guaranteed win. we have 2 weeks to prepare. hopefully they have been planning/scheming for this game for months though.

this byu team will probably turn out with an average record in the end but i think they will surprise some people with a few upsets against quality teams.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 12:10 p.m.

"Mark it down with erasable ink."

worf:

Finally, something I agree with! I'm glad that you remember, for the moment, how inaccurate your predictions were last week--not that it'll ever stop you from being wrong again.

---------

"And two of those three games, Utah might even lose. Nevada and Boise State
    . . . .
    Ed throws out a small jab and you cant just take it"

UtahBruin:

This is why I can't stand byu "fans" who pretend to be something else. First, they boldly proclaim certainty about something that can't happen. Then they get all weepy about someone counter-punching their jabs.

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    Sept. 6, 2013 12:18 p.m.

Can't wait to hear what the Coulda Woulda Shouldas do on the field tomorrow. And, what "fine young men" Bronco has on his team...albeit a team that now has a reputation for not being able to win big games or even games it should win. Let's get Bronco reassigned to a sunday school class somewhere and find a coach that is a winner.

• Tators Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 12:28 p.m.

@ Chris B:

I wasn't so sure I'd live long enough to read about someone actually enjoying your comments. But it's finally happened... even though it is from just a "Silly-Rabbit".

@ JohnInSLC:

Worf and UtahBruin actually handled the "counter-punching" quite well. It actually appears to be you who is now getting all defensive and trying to go on the offensive. If you really want to talk about wrong predictions, go back and read some of Chris B's. Most of his usually end up in la-la land.
    And UtahBruin wasn't weepy at all. He actually make some pretty good points. Take it to heart and don't let it get to you so much.

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 12:37 p.m.

@JohnInSLC

I am not a BYU fan, I just don't like Utah fans. Weepy? That's you with your comeback, it is not my fault many Utah fans can't hack a jab. You think your good, your not. I have never seen a Utah fan on here eat any crow for their losses, they just make excuses. I don't have a problem with the Utah Football team, many of their fans I cannot stand. I am a UCLA fan through and through (Hence the name UtahBruin) and am very much looking forward to October 5th. If Utah beats my Bruins, which I doubt, I will eat my crow, that's what is great about football, it gives you a whole year to brag about your team. I took my lumps living in Utah in 2011 and 2007, your only wins ever against UCLA we are 9-2 against you. I like my chances. And you are still not respected, welcomed or wanted in the PAC-10. Ask any true PAC-10 fan, we didn't want you. But thanks for the money by coming in and the win!

• DaveKnowsWhatsUp Bloomington, IN
    Sept. 6, 2013 12:53 p.m.

If Anae can call for more than runs up the middle and five yard outs, we'll be alright. Not as convinced about a victory as ChrisB is about a loss, but it should be fun.

And since we're talking about ChrisB, it's okay to be obsessed Chris, but most of us have a wider world view. Utah is one game on our schedule, that's it. BYU's season means more than winning one particular game (and don't even try and pull the PAC12 bit because if you meant it, you wouldn't comment on every BYU article ever written). Has it hurt to lose the past few years...of course it has. But when December comes and I'm watching the Cougars in a bowl game, and you are sitting on the couch also watching my team play since Utah definitely won't be playing at that point, one of us will be able to recognize that besides a few bumps, the season was still successful, and the other of us will still be obsessed with BYU since again, there's nothing to do on the hill around Christmas time.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 1:05 p.m.

" . . . read some of Chris B's . . ."

worf:

That's your excuse, "Chris B does it too"? But remember, he DID correctly predict the outcome of Utah's and byu's games last week and you didn't.

--------

"I am not a BYU fan . . . You think your good, your not . . . I am a UCLA fan through and through"

UtahBruin:

That's why you're here fuming at Ute fans on a Texas-byu story? Shouldn't you be taking "jabs" at SC fans on a UCLA article in the LA Times? Or, did that not go too well either?

• UtahBruin Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 1:34 p.m.

@JohnInSLC

Let me help where I can...

1) I live in Utah
    2) I love sports, especially football
    3) Since I live here, and I love sports, I am LDS, the Utah BYU rivalry is fun to watch and be a part of.
    4) Because you are a fan of one team, according to you that does not allow you to discuss other teams I guess. I will make a call to Kirk Herbstreit and let him know his job is in jeopordy with ESPN for doing just that.
    5) As as UCLA fan, I respect USC fans more than I do Utah Football fans.
    6) 2012 UCLA 38, USC 28, the Victory Bell resides in Westwood right now. I have until Oct 28th to throw my jabs. Hopefully longer, but there isn't any jabs to take right now.
    7) So it is going just fine since that Victory Bell is in Westwood.
    8) Because I love sports I have no problem eating my crow when required. But for the past year, for both SC and Utah, I have been the server.

And you said I was weeping, ha ha ha

• Whatsnu Sandy, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 2:36 p.m.

JohnInSLC

"That's why you're here fuming at Ute fans on a Texas-BYU story?"

LOL at the utter hypocrisy of a Utah fan calling out a UCLA fan for having the audacity to make a derogatory comment about Utah and/or Utah fans on a Texas-BYU story.

Well done UtahBruin!

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 6, 2013 5:56 p.m.

Chris B--won't be that bad.

• UT4Big12 HOUSTON, TX
    Sept. 6, 2013 6:00 p.m.

I am looking forward to watching the Texas/BYU game. Team practices on the Longhorn Network look pretty darn good.

• SillyRabbit Layton, 00
    Sept. 6, 2013 9:58 p.m.

Hey Tators! You're welcome! Glad I could make that happen. You are now free to pass on. :)

My realistic expectations for tomorrow? Utes win; Cougars win. There's no problem with both teams winning, now is there?

• AKFan JUNEAU, AK
    Sept. 8, 2013 2:50 p.m.

Be honest Chris B, how embarrassing is your prediction now?