BYU physics students find LaVell Edwards Stadium to be just short of painfully loud

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 1:51 p.m.

I bet this Saturday will be mostly quite inside of LES.

I wonder if the fans will leave in the 3rd quarter, like they did during the 54-10 beatdown Utah put on byu a few years ago?

Texas 40
    byu 14

byu will soon be 0-3, watching big brother at 4-0, and having lost to Utah 4 years STRAIGHT!

• Alterego Harrisville, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 2:12 p.m.

Mr. B! U have an inferiority complex and you prove it with every one of your posts on BYU articles.

I've enjoyed every game I've seen at LES and I appreciate the efforts of the athletic program.

• Gus Tunkle Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 2:30 p.m.

I like to cheer loud at LV Edwards! Stadium!! It is my most favorite thing to do! Don't ask me any questions though. I am legally deaf.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 5, 2013 2:30 p.m.

Darn it! If only we were members of the "prestigious" PAC12, then we would beat Texas for sure...
    That's all it takes, right Chris?

• Brad J West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 2:32 p.m.

I bet this Saturday will be mostly quite inside of RES.

I wonder if the fans will leave in the 3rd quarter.

Weber State 40
    utah 14

utah will soon be 1-3, watching big brother at 3-1, and having lost to BYU!!

• Brad J West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 2:38 p.m.

I love the pac 12, i already have 12 pac 12 sticlers on my car. go pac 12

• UtahBy44 Beaver, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 2:45 p.m.

" just short of painfully loud"

Yes bYu is short in a lot of things; "Fully Invested" NOT or they would be painfully loud, "Quest for Perfection" obviously cant perfect high decibels, Band of Lil Brothers" cant even excite the crowd, "Rise Up" apparently not raising the volume in the stadium, "Spirit, Honor, Tradition" jerseys will never experience the almost painful noise, Loyal, Strong and True doesn't even tip the sound barrier.

But, here's one that could tip the noise scales to painfully loud; "Nitro", Go Fast Go hard", "Banana Rama", "Ding Dong", "Zippity Do Da" no huddle Offense. Now that will fire any crowd up.

The physics students need to work on projects that will improve their skill sets.

Last time I was in LES it was as quiet as a church mouse.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 5, 2013 4:08 p.m.

Wow @Brad J...I thought I'd seen the biggest hater posts in the world in Chris B. That was only because I hadn't seen yours yet.

If Weber beats Utah by 26 I will buy you a car...assuming you're old enough to have a driver's license, that is.

• Big Brother BYU Orem, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 4:18 p.m.

Painfully loud? Oh man that is so cool!

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Sept. 5, 2013 6:36 p.m.

The departure of Riley was bound to keep a lot of ticket holds loyal. Wonder what would have happened if he had one more year...we know he'd be starting all season long.

• Wayne Rout El Paso, TX
    Sept. 5, 2013 6:40 p.m.

This article is short on detail. How loud is it? We'll never know. Is it louder at Utah or at Alabama or at Boise? We'll never know. Is it louder now than ten years ago? Sure wish I knew.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 10:06 p.m.

We can really bring the pain!

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Sept. 6, 2013 7:26 a.m.

Wayne Rout

"This article is short on detail. How loud is it? We'll never know."

All you have to do is click on the link to the BYU press release, which says:

"Though the project was designed to measure sound from the speakers, they do have some observations from the crowd noise. On critical 3rd down plays with BYU’s defense on the field, sound levels would reach about 120 decibels. That’s as loud as rock concerts and sandblasters. The crowd noise that follows BYU touchdowns is as loud or louder, but remains slightly below the threshold for physical pain caused by sound."

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Sept. 6, 2013 9:16 a.m.

I love my Cougars, but LES is one the quietest places I've ever watched a college game. Go sit in the stadium at Michigan, Ohio State, OU, or College Station. NO comparison.

• Austin Coug Pflugerville, TX
    Sept. 6, 2013 3:38 p.m.

@rlsintx

I understand your general point....however, comparing LES noise to stadiums with 109,000 (Michigan), 102,000 (OSU), 82,000 (OU) and 82,000 (A&M) seems a bit ludicrous. It will be loud on Saturday night.

• rlsintx Plano, TX
    Sept. 6, 2013 10:37 p.m.

Austin Coug
    Pflugerville, TX

I'll be there and let you know. :)

• Wally West SLC, UT
    Sept. 8, 2013 10:21 a.m.

Really? Where is Sheldon Cooper when he is needed?

Seriously (?), I have been to a few games @ LES and it is painful.