Utah

Sen. Mike Lee warns missile strikes against Syria could be dangerous

Comments

• worf Mcallen, TX
    Sept. 4, 2013 8:04 p.m.

We can't afford the lives, and money.

Why did the people of America elect this guy?

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Sept. 5, 2013 4:55 a.m.

Woef.... your statements are so hypocritical... its hard to understand the monumental flip flop here. Why were lives worth loosing in Iraq, a country that never threatened Israel, or even really us, and yet Syria who has been pushing covert wars in Lebanon and threatening directly Israel - these country is not worth the same sacrifice.

Not to be misunderstood - if Lee is really being introspective rather than playing silly partisan games.... then good for him. We have made plenty of mistakes in the reagin. We picked the wrong side in the Iranian revolution - which still haunts us. We armed what would become the Taliban, because we wanted to stick it to the Russians. We armed Iraq in their war against Iran. We have a long history of unintended consequences.

So any real thoughtfulness is great. All options are bad here, and inaction is not a real option either. So I applaud his thoughtfulness - if that is really what it is.

• iron&clay RIVERTON, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 6:54 a.m.

Thank you Senator Lee.

Keep questioning ALL the executive orders that overstep the bounds set on the President by the Constitution. This is not a dictatorship.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Sept. 5, 2013 8:14 a.m.

"We can't afford the lives, and money.

Why did the people of America elect this guy?"

Worf, Did you say the same thing in 2003?

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 8:14 a.m.

This is a byproduct of history.
    We don't trust our leaders to tell the truth.
    Further, we are proposing to inject ourselves into a civil war among Muslims. That's never a good idea.
    Despite our efforts in Iraq (removing Saddam, rebuilding their infrastructure, protecting their new government) they have not embraced democracy.
    Then there's that pesky question about an exit strategy...

• EDM Castle Valley, Utah
    Sept. 5, 2013 8:27 a.m.

Does anyone believe that Lee would not readily support force if it were a Republican president calling for the same thing?

• lost in DC West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 8:40 a.m.

EDM,
    yep.

No mention in the article of the additional Russian naval vessels dispatched to the Mediterranean as a result of BO's sabre rattling. A misstep here inflames the entire region and beyond. We cannot afford such a conflagration with our incompetent apologizer-in-chief

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 5, 2013 8:48 a.m.

Great headline. "Missile strikes may be dangerous."

As opposed to those missile strikes that are safe....

• Esquire Springville, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 9:52 a.m.

And letting the Syrian government keep using chemical weapons is dangerous, not just for the Syrian people, but for neighboring countries, and eventually by other bad actors who will see that no one will ever stand up to them. I hate the idea of intervention, especially as the invasion of Iraq cost a trillion dollars and handed Iraq over to Iran, but we can strike a blow without a long term commitment. Frankly, it worked in Libya, and some message has to be delivered to the Syrian government. For the GOP to whine after their leadership in recent years is beyond unseemly. It is hypocritical and smacks of nothing but cheap partisanship over our national and international interests and treaties.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 10:41 a.m.

So besides voting over 50 times to repeal Obamacare what does Mikey do?
    Seems it would be nothing but to say the opposite of what ever Obama says, real statesman there.

and the hypocrisy of the conservative posters here know no bounds.

I too am skeptical if doing anything in Syria will help, but I was also unpatrotic and told so, when I questioned Butch and Cheneys repeated and often told lies about Iraq.

@Worf when can we afford those 2, when a republican is starting wars?

• no fit in SG St.George, Utah
    Sept. 5, 2013 11:01 a.m.

EDM
    Exactly.
    In Dec., nearly 40% of the House was for some type of intervention.
    In Sept. 18% of the House is for some type of intervention.
    The repubs in the House always move in concert in opposition to the POTUS.
    Brave Sir Robin
    Every mike lee moment is like manna from heaven for comedy central.

• Redshirt1701 Deep Space 9, Ut
    Sept. 5, 2013 12:17 p.m.

To "Esquire" according to the Russian government it was the Rebels that used the chemical weapons. See "Russia says it's compiled 100-page report blaming Syrian rebels for a chemical weapons attack" in McClatchy.

We don't even know for sure who has used the chemical weapons.

You were highly critical of Bush for going into Iraq based on bad information, why do you want to go into Syria with even sketchier information?

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 12:23 p.m.

Wow, this thread is full of political mindsets and misguided comments about Lee in general.

Look out folks, the middle east is a bomb keg that will eventually blow. You will face reality if you are alive at that time. It will happen and Mike Lee knows what will happen and will not be pretty. I am for staying clear of this Muslim conflict.

"3 And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it."

I prefer to keep away from evil politics and conflict. Obama was raised a Muslim and you know the saying.....why did we vote him into office for Heavens Sake.

• Elcapitan Ivins, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 12:42 p.m.

@Utah Blue Devil..Meanwhile the anti-Obama crowd just keeps on with their complaints, with no solutions offered.

solutions to Obama's mistakes are difficult and too numerous to handle. You may be watching the wrong news channels. He is making headway into "fundamentally changing America". Have you not noticed. Are you not alarmed?

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 1:05 p.m.

Well duuuuhhh... lets see, bombs (dangerous), unstable tyrants willing to kill his own people (dangerous), International media that loves to criticize America every time we act, and radical Muslim groups that want nothing more than to drag the USA into these type of conflicts... how could this POSSIBLY go wrong??

• 2 bits Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 1:15 p.m.

Esquire
    9:52 a.m.

RE "For the GOP to whine after their leadership in recent years is beyond unseemly. It is hypocritical and smacks of nothing but cheap partisanship over our national and international interests and treaties".

I would HOPE the DNC learned something from all the criticism they heaped upon Bush/Cheney. But they don't seem to have learned anything.

• BrentBot Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 1:47 p.m.

A strike against Syria would not only be dangerous, but could be aiding the enemy. Russia has submitted a 100 page scientific analysis to the U.N. which proves the WMD gas came from the insurgents (including Al Quaeda). We would be aiding Al Quaeda by bombing Syria's military installations. Remember, 7 of the 9 groups fighting the Assad regime are associated with the Muslim Brotherhood, which is the organization in Egypt which destroyed 60 Coptic Christian churches and killed hundreds of Christians.

The Obama administration was on the wrong (anti-American and Caliphate promoting) side in Libya and Egypt. Making the same mistake for the third time will cause many good soldiers, who pledged to support the Constitution, to leave the military, and question the President's motives and loyalty.

• LDS Liberal Farmington, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 2:01 p.m.

GW Bush and Mitt Romney threatens attacks against Syria = Good.
    Obama threatens attacks against Syria = Bad.

See ANY hypocrisy with yourselves - Republicans?

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 2:19 p.m.

Either way, I think it's hysterical to see Obama go from a "no war at any cost" critic of George W. to a President who now owns two wars.

Obama is really just a puppet with no skills who is pretending to not realize that America is no better off 6 years into his Presidency.

Barack Hussein Obama is the worst "over-hyped" President in our history.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    Sept. 5, 2013 3:08 p.m.

DUH!

• Whatever Springville, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 3:22 p.m.

Oh, c'mon, Lee doesn't have a clue what to do, he's just waiting for the President to decide on a course of action so he can oppose it. He knows he won't get any face time on fox news Sunday mornings if he agrees with the White House.

Oh well, at least he got out of making those pesky house payments...

• TRUTH Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 3:54 p.m.

@ LDSLIBERAL.....Yes I see it!

so what you are saying is:

Bush/Romney and a dead Saddam Hussein= Bad

Obama Hussein/Clinton and 4 dead Americans in Benghazi= Good

Gotcha!

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Sept. 5, 2013 4:27 p.m.

"So... does the DNC being silent when their leadership does the same thing they complained bitterly about Bush doing NOT "unseemly" and NOT "cheap partisanship"??"

I dont see a huge consensus among the Dems about the need/desire to go to war. Even on this board, so, the comment is misplaced.

In 2002, 60% of dems voted against the Iraq war. 3% of the GOP did.

While I expect that many dems will support the president (cause, unfortunately thats what parties do) I predict that there will be significant democratic opposition.

At least I hope so...

• Fishback Salt Lake City, Ut
    Sept. 5, 2013 5:31 p.m.

It is so painful to listen to rightwing knuckleheads hypocrisy on foreign intervention. The US still lacks any credibility regarding foreign intervention and will probably take another decade or two to completely undue the damage done by the Bush Administration.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Dangerous? What could possibly go wrong?

*Dropping bombs in the middle of a civil war where both sides hate you is always a safe bet
    *Not having a clear objective is the best way to go ...keeps them guessing as to what you are up to
    *Not having an exit strategy if things go south means the less you have to plan for and you can always blame members of congress since they authorized it
    *Iran has rational leaders who we can trust will keep level heads regardless of what we do
    *It is easy to fight a limited war. Wars always go as planned and rarely spread.
    *The US has clear national interests involved here such as...um...give me a minute... ok I'm sure we have some because our president said we did.
    *It is better to not have any other nations helping you because there is less to coordinate

"What - me worry?" (Alfred E Newman) "Stupid is as stupid does" (Forest Gump) "Fools go where angels fear to tread" (unknown)

• UtahBlueDevil Durham, NC
    Sept. 5, 2013 8:18 p.m.

@Elcapitan - let me summerize, No, I am not alarmed, no I am not watching the wrong channel because I am not watching any of them... not Fox... not MSNBC. No, the America I live in hasn't fundementally changed. Yes, my 401K and IRA's have doubled since 2008, and yes, my home value is up 27 percent. I am fully employed in the energy business, and no, no one has prevented me from practicing my religion, and my collection of guns is just fine - though 22 shells are still hard to find.

So no... I am not worried about Obama, and I am was not worried about Bush. My freedoms are in tact, and so am i.

Your mileage may vary.

• durwood kirby South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 10:33 p.m.

For me, Lee surrendered his credibility long ago.

• David Centerville, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 10:47 p.m.

There seems to be hypocrites on both sides of this board. Obama supporters are on board for US military action in Syria for the same reasons that Bush led us to war in Iraq. And yet Obama supporters were generally opposed to Bush and the Iraq War.

On the other side, Republicans generally supported the Iraq war & Bush but are opposed to intervention in Syria for the same reasons spelled out by Democrats in 2003.

I supported the Iraq War, as did nearly all world leaders, as did nearly all intelligence groups, as did a majority of Congress (including Democrats). However, I feel now that the Iraq War was a mistake. We should learn our lessons from it: That our intelligence is inadequate; that supporting someone in that region ends up hurting us years or decades later; that getting directly involved in a civil ward can be catastrophic; that we are already bankrupt as a country; that lobbing a few shells won't change anything and could only embolden Assad...Everything seems to point against military intervention.

Looking back I would not have supported war in Iraq. It was a mistake. Looking forward, I don't support military action in Syria.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Sept. 6, 2013 6:23 a.m.

Good comment David.

I too supported the Iraq war. But, I had not been given all of the information at the time.

I was told that there was NO DOUBT that Saddam had WMD.
    I was told that he was trying to obtain uranium for nuclear capabilities.
    I was told that the smoking gun may turn into a mushroom cloud if we did not go.
    I was told that the war would be paid for by Iraqi Oil.

I was NOT told that there WAS great doubt about WMD.
    Or that the uranium claim was in dispute.

The information given to the American people was designed to garner support for war while the Administration knew the questionable nature if some of the info.

That war was engineered by the war hungry neocons. They created urgency when none existed.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 7:14 a.m.

The tea party has become the peace party. Why are so many people quoting and listening to Putin? Do we need a military if we adopt the Senator's position?