BYU football: Ross Apo can't wait for rematch with Texas

Comments

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 4:51 p.m.

I can't wait for it either!

Kind of like how Taysom Hill gets to think that he could be playing for a top 5 team and Rose Bowl winning team in Stanford, but instead he's completing 30% of his passes against a very bad Virginia team, with zero hope of ever sniffing a real bowl game!

Apo similarly will never sniff a bowl game(or even a win over his rival for that matter) while watching Texas(even in down years) still be a very respected and top 25 program

But I guess as Apo and Hill have shown, not everyone wants to play for BCS bowl quality teams.

To each his own I suppose.

Texas 40
    byu 14

Mark it Down!

Pretty soon byu will be 0-3 and Utah will be 4-0

It is going to be great!

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 4:56 p.m.

Texas 40
    byu 14

And pretty soon Apo will be with a team that is 0-3, and then 1-4(the second time in his career he started 1-4)

LOL

You know its coming!

I do too!

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 5:31 p.m.

Is there an echo in here?

For those who really care...

I look forward to seeing the progress my team makes this week. Not interested in being a pain in to anyone else.

If only some one would get a clue.

Go Cougars, Defense keep up the classy performance, Offense Go Gast, Go Hard, Go Far!

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 6:13 p.m.

Sorry Ross but unless you're doing a little curl route about 5 yards deep, Hill doesn't have the accuracy to get you the ball.
    Oh how I wish I was wrong, but the data from last week clearly show that this will not be a good offense through the air.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    Sept. 4, 2013 6:26 p.m.

Apo probably likes root canals, habanero peppers on his ice cream and finger nails pulled off with plyers!!

It takes all kinds to make the world turn you know...Chris was too nice...

Texas 52
    BYU 10

• Guam_Bomb BARRIGADA, GU
    Sept. 4, 2013 6:31 p.m.

We'll see if BYU's offensive line learned anything in the last week. They were awful against a mediocre defensive front at Virginia. Hill won't make it to the second half unless they improve. The defense wasn't all that impressive without Ansah occupying two blockers. The only thing the going for the cougars is the fact that every once in a while they get a cheap on in LaVelle Edwards Stadium.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 6:41 p.m.

@Pipes
    Some of the accuracy issues were wet balls, some were dropped balls, some were thrown away because of coverage or pursuit and some were batted down. You would be surprised how few were actually badly thrown. As for the 5 yard routes, you had two 4yard and 1 six yard. One of the 4 yard passes maxed out at 4 yards because of that silly goal line thing. Yes it was not a great performance the Y fans want but I recall Ty Detmer throwing 4 interceptions in his first game. John Beck's first three touches in his first game were a sack, a fumble and an interception. They both turned out okay, sit back and let's see where he goes.

• Scott Farcus Beaver, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 8:05 p.m.

"Apo verbally committed to Texas before changing his mind and de-committing in order to play for the Cougars"

Be an interesting game Saturday.

Im with Chris, cant wait either

• Cincinnatus Kearns, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 8:13 p.m.

@SLCWatch

"Some of the accuracy issues were wet balls, some were dropped balls, some were thrown away because of coverage or pursuit and some were batted down."

I'm not buying what you're selling.

Virginia also had to play with a wet ball, yet Watford was more accurate than Hill against what a lot of fans think is a great BYU defense (remember, Watford was essentially a 3rd string QB before their top two QB's transferred). If you think balls were dropped, or thrown away due to coverage or pursuit, or being batted down, you ain't seen nothing yet. Virginia, by all accounts is a bad ACC team. Texas may not have been great of late, but they are far more athletic and speedy than Virginia. If BYU doesn't get it's O-line whipped into shape, this game is not just going to be a loss, it'll be an ugly loss. With or without a wet ball.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 8:51 p.m.

From ESPN - Elevation Masks Prepare Texas for BYU

Funny, that they were working on that for about a year according to the article. Interesting how Texas Coach prepared for this game. Boulder, CO is higher up than at Provo and they have done it in past when Buff was with big12. We'll see.

Apo, just do well.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 8:58 p.m.

@Cincinnatus

I appreciate a legitamate counter argument. I went through the game play by play. I agrue that some of the balls slipped out of Hill's hands. I counted three batted down. I don't have my exact count on balls he had to throw away but it was about 5. He had at least 5 drops or no catches of fair balls. Hill completed 3 out of bounds to Matthews. 16 accounted for, 13 completed that's 29 of his forty. But let me disagree with Virginia's defense being what it was last year. Coach Tenuta is a very skilled coach and he changed their defense to a high aggression defense bringing 4 plus a roving 1 on almost everydown and more on other downs. They played aggressive D in the secondary and got away with extremely tight coverage that could have gone pass interference.

As for BYU's defense, they only were bringing 3 most of the time dropping 8 which kept Virginia's gains very low. Their running game was negligble and BYU ended up with 160 more yards than Virginia. BYU's defense was to minimize gains not competely stop them.
    The O line improved greatly in the second half.

• Cincinnatus Kearns, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 9:42 p.m.

@SLCWatch

I see your argument, but again, both sides played with a wet ball (both quarterbacks were apt to have the ball slip) and Watford had a better completion percentage, with more caught balls on fewer throws. While their defense may be improved from last year, they are still picked by most media that covers the ACC to end up at the bottom of their division. Some have even said that if they go 6-6 Lunden ought to get Coach of the Year in the ACC.

My primary point- even if Virginia's defense is improved over last year, Texas is far better, faster, and more athletic. Anae completely changing up the O-line after the first game is telling. That should have been fairly well settled throughout spring and fall ball, with just minor changes to tweak things. Not major changes after the first game. It doesn't bode well for BYU.

If Anae can make the needed changes that are effectual in protecting Hill, all props to him. But, if Hill is rushed by a fast, penetrating defense from Texas, well, game over.

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 10:34 p.m.

@Cincinnatus
    I don't think Hill had a good game. I think the offensive line was surprized by the aggressive defense that Virginia brought but they should have been aware because Tenuta had been at SC, Notre Dame and other schools with an aggressive defense. I contend Virginia's QB was given more time because BYU dropped 8 in coverage instead of blitzing.
    As for Texas, study the stats in that one. New Mexico State had a high completion percentage, gave up only two sacks, had 242 yards passing and 104 rushing. The Texas Defense didn't really show up, letting the offense run wild in the second half.
    Both teams gave up 3 turnovers.
    The killer for Texas was their Go Fast Tempo wore New Mexico State down by the end of the second quarter and from there it was a track meet with 7 Td's on runs or pass plays of 24,24,38,54,55,66,74. That's scary.
    I think the shake up on the line is only a couple personnel with some switching sides. You find out who the game players are versus the practice players.
    I appreciate the reasoned back and forth we've had.

• Carson Provo, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 11:16 p.m.

I'm looking forward to another Jackie Gleason Moment!

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 4, 2013 11:16 p.m.

I just hope Taysom Hill has a chance to get him the ball.

• Hey Baby Franklin, IN
    Sept. 5, 2013 3:14 a.m.

SLCWatch
    It's clear you are looking for your team to perform better against Texas than they did against UVA. Let that sink I for a moment!

..........

Moments up! Your rational:

1. UVA is underrated. With all of the facts cooked into the stew, the ACC pundits have UVA at the bottom. They know about Tenuta, transfers in, out, adds, subtracts. They know and knew more about UVA than you or Coach Anae and they picked them to play < .500 ball in a basketball conference.

2. You're assumption is that Texas isn't so good because NMSU handled them well??

OK while I don't buy that wholly, I can let it ride with one kaviot. What if BYU is worse than NMSU? A real possibility. If UVA is as bad as people with knowledge predict...and they beat the Y...and Texas comes in and spanks the Y, then we must assume that the mighty have indeed fallen! (With a stronge ESPN contract of course).

• Sparkley Briefs New York, NY
    Sept. 5, 2013 6:12 a.m.

For BYU to win, I think that Apo has to make 2-3 very big plays. We'll see if the young man can make it happen.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 8:02 a.m.

Interesting that the DNews would publish--in the same edition--articles bound to wind up on the locker room bulletin boards of the Longhorns and the Utes for Saturday's games.

I don't think that's what was intended. Interesting.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 8:16 a.m.

I bet he catches a lot of passes this week.

• jej SANDY, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 8:18 a.m.

It is way to premature to discuss BYU's offense or Hill's ability at QB. The Virginia game is not a good measuring stick. Weather delays are hard. Game day is routine routine routine. If you have a weather delay it throws of the flow and feel of the game. Also the receivers dropped balls and I'm sure it was difficult to accurately throw a wet ball. BOTH teams struggled in this arena and I feel both teams are better than what they displayed on Saturday. Texas will be a better measuring stick for where BYU really is offensively. Until then I'm going to lay off on any critique.

Chris B. You talk as though it is a slam dunk that Utah is going to have an amazing season. I would be very worried as a Ute fan. Their defense is a joke. USU exposed them. Their win came because of Coaching. I credit coach W for that amazing onside kick. USU should have been expecting it and they weren't. Seems like a classic first year coaching mistake. That game could have gone either way. Utah just as easily could be going into this week 0-1.

• WON84 PLANO, TX
    Sept. 5, 2013 8:23 a.m.

Chris, the Utes' defense looked as good as BYU's offense. I wouldn't get too excited.

• Ford DeTreese Provo, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 9:04 a.m.

Hope springs eternal. I guess we can hope Apo catches more than the two passes he snagged last week, one of which was a meaningless hail Mary at the end of the game that came up, what, 30 yards short of the end zone.

• Tie Detmersh Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 9:22 a.m.

Is he open? I could hit the guy fer like 40 TDs, show 'nuff. Ross could do some damage with a better QB. Anyone know a good one? I do! Huh HUH!!

• A. Collie BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 11:13 a.m.

Apo is a really talented receiver with a bright...potato #magic

• Big Brother BYU Orem, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 4:20 p.m.

Wow Ross Apo is so cool!

• Mighty Mouse Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 5, 2013 4:51 p.m.

Unless they put Apo in the backfield and hand the ball to him how is he ever going to touch it in the new Go fast but hardly go offence?

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 5:16 p.m.

this game won't be close ...Hill is too unpolished. Texas will play tight man defense and dare Hill to throw into tight windows. Not going to happen. BYU's only hope will be turn overs.

Texas 31 BYU 20

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 5:37 p.m.

@Hey Baby
    I choose to be optomistic. Life is brighter that way. Having read so many of your comments I understand you choose to be pessimistic, anti-BYU and generally a depressing pundit.

I choose to believe the team I follow is doing their best to improve, change to develop and compete in the playing field to the best of their abilities.

I don't know if you have a team but you should go find a team you want to follow, be optomistic they can improve and develop and go be at peace. You'll be happier.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 6:04 p.m.

Christy just makes me laugh. She acts as if Utah is Rose Bowl bound after getting torched for nearly 500 yards by a "WAC 2.0" school that he berated all last week. Focus on Weber Christy...it's going to be one of the last wins of the season for U. Btw Weber put up 50 points against Stephen F. Austin which has about as good a defense as Utah!

"LOL"

• Steven S Jarvis Orem, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 8:28 p.m.

There is a reason it is called a football SEASON

BYU will be better than the Virginia game showed. They will beat Texas.

Utah will be much better against Weber State than they were against USU. Utah might play sloppy at times, but they should win by at least 17. Utah then will play ten games, none of which are easy. Oregon State has a great offense and no defense. That game may come down to who has the ball last.

Utah could win all its games. It could also easily go 2-10. One thing I am counting on is after the BYE BYU will take down the Utes in Provo. I expect Utah to go 5-7 (USU, Weber, OSU, Col, and AZ ST).

I am expecting a solid win this week for BYU before a big win against Utah. I think 10-3 (ND, VA, Wisconsin) will still happen.

We will see just how the games pan out. That is why they play the games instead of all the entertainment that happens before the matchups happen.

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 5, 2013 11:39 p.m.

Re: patriot

If Texas wins 31-20 over BYU I will consider that an improvement from last week!

• Salemite Salem, Ut
    Sept. 6, 2013 8:30 a.m.

@Scott Farcus

"In Texas a man's follow through with his word, and his hand shake, displays his true character."

You just implicated your head coach with the same Texas Moral Standard that you threw at Apo. Kyle gave BYU a verbal commitment before he was enticed with a wad a cash from the U. Be careful with what you say.

• Still slow, still soft Salt Lake, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 1:59 p.m.

Steven,

byu will beat Texas just like they beat Virginia huh?

• BYUSU Wellsville, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 4:16 p.m.

They brought Coach Anae back. Now if they could just get Jake back the season would be great. If Jake came back would he have to sit out another year? Just kidding and wishing what might have been.

Go Cougars!!!!!
    Go Aggies!!!!!
    Go Utes except for one game. I'll let you guess which one.

• Ldsrm Spanish fork, UT
    Sept. 6, 2013 10:51 p.m.

I think that Texas used nmsu as a 1st game simply because of wanting wins and new thy cold beat nmsu.

I think Byu should get more respect for not playing a team it could beat every week.

why leave the Mountain west conference if you war not going to challenge your self.

I also think espn helped to get this game and many others because Byu can win as under dog's and will do it !!!